Previous   Next

Are you looking forward to the Sidewalk Sale?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 18, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. It’s a good reason to get out there early and get some good deals.”

“No. It’s hot, crowded and overrated. There are already plenty of good sales going on.”

“I’m going to be working, unfortunately. It would be great to go, but I can’t this year.”

“Yeah, I am. You get lots of great deals. I think it’s kind of fun - a little Lawrence tradition.”

Comments

Kylee Manahan 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes, good deals, just wish they still had the street dance!

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

sergeant: Actually, that step's already been taken. I see it here all the frickin' time. Maybe I'll bring one back with me and try to get my photo taken for On the Street.

As for the question, I don't ever have enough initiative to get up early enough to beat the crowds, heat, and the deals being already gone.

Or I'm at work. Or out of country.

Crossfire 7 years, 5 months ago

The sidewalk in front of my house is for sale, cheap.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 5 months ago

Gaaaaa! The attack of the gigantic sunglasses continues! Would the next step be one big lens that covers the whole face?

Back to your regularly-scheduled answers.

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh, by the way, Sue: My old roommate was a flat five foot, if that makes you feel any better. And there's a girl from North Carolina on this trip who I think is about 4'11.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 5 months ago

I agree with Jenn...hot, crowded, and overrated...

If those businesses really wanted to give you good deals, they wouldn't have to wait for a sidewalk sale to do so...

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes! I can't wait to stroll around in the humid KS heat, rubbing bodies with other sweaty, cranky people, to find a bargain on a pair of insect-o-glasses and some platform flip flops.

peterpan 7 years, 5 months ago

I hear Wal-Mart is having a sale that day as well. hmmm

craigers 7 years, 5 months ago

I wouldn't mind going to get another couple of $5 shirts from Francis sporting goods. other than that I don't shop a whole lot downtown. I would go if they are having half-price burritos at Chipotle.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 5 months ago

With all the problems we have in this city, now we are selling our sidewalks? Boog has gone too far!

tunarubber 7 years, 5 months ago

She is a high school junior. Why feel the need to make fun of her? Who cares what she is wearing? How would you feel if someone was picking on your sixteen year old in a public forum like this? Give the kid a break!

beatrice 7 years, 5 months ago

No, I already own a sidewalk. I bought it last time they had a sale.

Seriously, Jenn is way too cranky. Just look at the pictures and try to guess who is saying "no, its hot, its crowded, its waaaa waaaa waaaa."

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm not too excited about it. I used to go when fry breads were $1 and I worked downtown. I do still stop by after work sometimes but there are too many people and the deal/rip-off fraction is shrinking into oblivion. Oddly, the crowds have grown as the good deals diminished. Of course, shopaholics (Hi. My name is me and I'm one.) don't require bargains, just a hint of one in the general vicinity.

I promise to attend religiously if they ban strollers!~)

mom_of_three 7 years, 5 months ago

In my 18+ years in Lawrence, I have only attended the sidewalk sale a few times, and only once during the day. The other few times were in the evening, when the shade covered the sidewalk, and most of the crowds were gone. I found a good deal on tennis shoes, which I haven't been able to duplicate on my other few trips.
But I am not one of those people who request the day off from work to attend.

mom_of_three 7 years, 5 months ago

Sue, are you also a "not tall" person? When I turned 21, a salesman at the auto dealer where I worked asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I said "Tall."

redneckwoman 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't mind going but, I never find out about it yearly enough to set aside money & time for it. When I do go I don't go down town. It's too packed (& too many strollers). I go to the Kohl's area & find better deals there than downtown. That area does have some stuff outside but most of their sales stuff is inside were it's nice and cool.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

mom o 3, I'm 5'2". I guess "not tall" is subjective. I outgrew my mom by a couple of inches. One of my brothers is 6'3". Go figure!

nettieb 7 years, 5 months ago

If you buy a pair of flip flops at Hobbes for $35 and they are marked down to $20 - you are still paying about $18 too much for them.

Hot, sweaty, humid, cranky... sounds like a good time to me.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't have any place to put one.

I think I've been once or maybe twice. Probably won't go unless I can run over Consumer1 with a stroller! That would be fun! Maybe nettieb can help me! ;)

coolmom 7 years, 5 months ago

sure i am not really a shopper but you see people there you only see once a year, and i have gotten a few good deals but it does have to be really good to get me to buy it and carry it clear back to the car. i do think that the giant sunglasses are weird but as i have a trio of teens i can only wince when they do it. apparently i am square or something involving a shape?

Bone777 7 years, 5 months ago

On the day of the sale, you can go out front and 'pay' for the junk of the store or you can wait until the day after and go out back and get it for free in the alley.

Bone777 7 years, 5 months ago

Bea, You are right.

One of these kids is not like the others, One of these kids just doesn't belong, Can you tell which kid is not like the others By the time I finish my song?

Calliope877 7 years, 5 months ago

I never get to go to the sidewalk sale because 1) I have to work, and 2) I never have any money.

Staci Dark Simpson 7 years, 5 months ago

Well if you could actually find a bargain it would be ok. ITs gonna be very hot and being smashed in a bunch of sweaty people just doesn't sound fun. Might head out to Penneys and Kohls but that would be it. You can't really find a good bargain anymore. My last purchase was a $4 Party Naked shirt in 1990 at the sale. It was funny that I talked my mom into buying a 51% bitch 49% sweetheart shirt for $4.

average 7 years, 5 months ago

The only sidewalk sale store that has any interest to me is Sunflower Bike/Outdoor. Come to think of it, that's about the only downtown retailer (as opposed to restaurant/bar) I've bought anything at all from in years. Not a guy thing, IMHO.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 5 months ago

Hi C1 - been a bizzy bizzy day! Yep, I got a good one. You were a close second...who is enzite bob?