Previous   Next

What country would you guess has the tallest population?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 17, 2007

Browse the archives

“Brazil, because all of the Brazilian soccer players are pretty tall.”

“Germany, because my roommate, Rolf, is German, and he’s really tall.”

“Holland. I have a very good, very tall friend in Holland who has proclaimed that fact many times.”

“Russia. It just seems from popular culture that they have a lot of tall people.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

From the responses, it appears that you and the rest of the folk share the same rationale, at least.

When all of the illigitimate children of Wilt Chamberlain form their own colony, my guess is that will be the tallest general population in the world.

pelliott 7 years, 10 months ago

holland

too much fast food here, soda pop rather than milk

Kookamooka 7 years, 10 months ago

Are they going to tell us the answer or is LJworld doing a big story on tall people tomorrow? Stay tuned!

cutny 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey Jonas, being a grad student and all...ooooh, have you given any thought to learning how to correctly spell the words you espouse? They have this thing called "spell check" now, you should look into it.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 10 months ago

And I'm wondering why it matters which country has the tallest people...

juscin3 7 years, 10 months ago

my spell check doesn't work....guess that's what the grad students are here for! LOL JUST KIDDING....

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

I just watched Transformers in the theater in Chinese. Did I miss anything not being able to understand most of the dialog, or was that really just something of a blessing?

Cool movie, though.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

The U.S., because I know tall people.

What? I got the idea that was a valid indicator.

juscin3 7 years, 10 months ago

To answer the question my opinion is that anyone is taller than 4'. I'm 5'3" and hubby is 6'2". Always being called short sh*t. Wonder why? :)~

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 10 months ago

I would guess...er...uh... the Fins, then change my vote to the Dutch after googling it up.

Soapdish 7 years, 10 months ago

All I know is I'm a 6' tall female and finding jeans for me is a nightmare. There's my contribution for the day.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Well, my brother-in-law comes from a Dutch family, and he's tall. So I guess I was close. I'm going to have to adapt the logic of the OTS responders more often; with practice, it could result in my being right!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

spellcheck is for sissies!

Tallest population: Easy! Mongolia! Because they have Bao Xishun...so they must all be tall!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

juscin, as I am 5'2", I will officially declare you tall...to me! Now, how long will it take before someone will get on here and tell me that I am tall?
waiting...

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 10 months ago

So are they going to tell everyone tom. who has the tallest population or just leave everyone guessing?

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 10 months ago

And for every one bashing on misspells please why bother everyone know that it happens and for the most part people get what you are trying to say besides it is one of my strong suits.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 10 months ago

Spelling for people on the boards isn't a big deal to me. So what if someone spells something incorrectly. Seems like nit-picking to me...

Although I do love it when someone comes on a thread and complains about another poster's spelling (or grammar), only to do it themselves in their post...:)

Oracle_of_Rhode 7 years, 10 months ago

I think it's probably a country in Africa. I know that in the USA we are by far the fattest people on the planet, or in human history. Thanks, McDonalds and Coke!

dlkrm 7 years, 10 months ago

Soapdish, We need to meet!

Didn't I hear yesterday that we are getting shorter because we don't have enough sidewalks? Maybe I'm getting two wacko stories confused.

I think the US is tallest when we're on our backs.

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

How does one would "look into" spell check?

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

I know a family from Holland and they are all shorter than me or just about any member of my family. Hence, I have to conclude that the Ceallaigh nation is the tallest.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 10 months ago

As a guess I would say Norway or Sweden, but I heard that the Dutch have the title now. I guess weed doesn't stunt your growth.

Soapdish 7 years, 10 months ago

dlkrm- Another tall lady I assume? Found that NY&Co. has the best selection of tall pants. As far as actually answering todays question...I'll hop on the Denmark bandwagon.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

Cutny: Have you nominated yourself as my personal grammarian? Three posts in a month, and two of them are telling me to spell things correctly. Is there a reason for it of any substance, or do you think it somehow exposes some hidden idiocy in my grad-student status?

If it's the latter, I would think the many remarkably silly things that I say would be a much better indicator than my unwillingness to use spell check, or spend a ton of time rearranging the letters of illigitimate (however the hell it's spelled) to get the right combination and order.

Now, enjoy this short clip of a cute kitten and a very patient dog, and chill out.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

Vidio uzed two hafe bedder musik. Ohs weill.

H_Lecter 7 years, 10 months ago

Jonas, Firefox 2.0 has spell check built in.

The answer is China. If you stacked up all the bodies if the Chinese in one pile, It would be the tallest.

ms_canada 7 years, 10 months ago

What about Kenya with it's tribe of very tall people, the Masai? I wonder is we are going to be given the right answer, the info. Sure would be nice to know definitively.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

That's what I use, but maybe it's an old program, it just tells me when words are misspelled, not how to fix them.

I don't know, though. The Chinese tend to have smaller body masses, so they might not take up as much room. How about India? Any ideas?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

jonas is learning bazillions of new words and Chinese script everyday and he's supposed to keep English straight? evn so, it has ben prven that yu dont ned all the letrs to actuly get the mening. as the slf proclamed ledr of the speling chalengd, i say agin: "Spell check is for sissies!" Be brave. Be bold. Who cares what other people think of you. Ban spellcheck! Hey, I'm pretty sure i can run this by the Lawrence City Council and get this put into legislation.

Crossfire 7 years, 10 months ago

The USA has the tallest people laying down. And the tallest SUV's in the world.

beatrice 7 years, 10 months ago

Sometimes, incorrect spelling doesn't bother me (particularly when I am in error), while at other times it wigs me out (when it is rampant by another). It is an odd thing that way. The one that always seems to bug me is when ridiculous is spelled with an "e." However, I'm shocked to learn that anyone would actually bother to use spellcheck around here.

Jonas, ignore that spell-checker request. Me think that gramer bee moster important then speling anyhows.

acg 7 years, 10 months ago

Spelling errors don't bother me that much, either. Especially when you read the poster's posts often enough to know that they can spell, and probably just typo'd. What kills me is when people refuse to use punctuation. Run-on sentences, fragmented thoughts, inappropriate pauses and no pauses in thought at all make me want to scream and hit people.

Jonas, maybe cutny has a bit of a crush and this is the only way she can get your attention, by constantly dogging you on your spelling. ?? Just a thought....

paladin 7 years, 10 months ago

Clem: Don't got no idee. What ya think, Zeek?

Zeek: Probly Poland, cause they got ta screw in all them light bulbs. Its a site easier without havin ta have no ladder. Heeyuck! Heeyuck! Heeyuck!

Clem: Yeah, probly.

acg 7 years, 10 months ago

No, RI, I don't need an anger management class. Other people just need to stop being so stupid. If people weren't inherently stupid, I wouldn't want to hit them as often as they so obviously deserved to be hit. It's a good thing I don't have an ammo budget or I would just start taking them out.

Case in point. I'm at LMH this a.m. visiting a friend. I'm waiting for the elevator, I've already pushed the button. The elevator button is lit, the elevator is coming. Some maroon walks up, hits the button again, like 5 times! Yeah, cause that makes the elevator come faster, right? See, according to the rules of the new "stupid people should be hit" grass roots movement I'm starting, I should've been allowed to reach over and tag that guy right in the head. Kind of like a more severe version of "here's your sign".

ms_canada 7 years, 10 months ago

Thank you prospector, so Holland it is. The shortest people that I have ever seen aside from dwarfs are the Otovalo indians in Ecuador. They are all only about 4 ft. tall. I wondered if it was because they carry everything in large bundles on top of their heads. :o) No kidding. I saw one lady lift a large round full metal wash tub up onto her friends head. they cushion the load with a sort of donut-like thick cushion on their head. And the marvelous thing is that once the load is up there they don't use their hands to keep it there. I also wondered if they had trouble with arthritis in their neck.

oldfashiongirl 7 years, 10 months ago

Hi,

You say the Dutch are tall, but I know from first hand observations that it is not true. I married a Dutchman and lived in Holland 6 years. My husband was 6'2" tall and we produced a son who is 6'8" tall and BIG, like 310 pounds-I always feel so petite when Im standing next to him. I'm 5'6" and our daughter is 5'9". His bothers and sisters were of average height. I believe there is a tribe of people in Africa who are extremely tall, as I saw it in a documentary some years ago. Hittu tribe?

Somebody please tell me where the big ball of twine is that Kansas is noted for, as I had planned to visit there had I stopped in Lawrence on my way home from the Mayo Clinic. Thanks.

Rebecca Valburg 7 years, 10 months ago

According to The Kansas Guidebook for Explorers (which I highly recommend), the big ball of twine is in downtown Cawker City, on the south side of US 24, under a canopy. You can even call it's caretaker Linda Clover at 785-781-4470.

And with regards to finding pants in tall sizes, I've had great luck at gap.com. They have an extra tall size that's not available in stores. I wear a 36" inseam, and they're plenty long enough, and if you need more length than that, they put good hems in their khakis.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

So sense being too rebellious about it. I, for one, welcome our new Grammarian Overlords.

illegitimate

Wow, R-I, that IS a pretty cool trick! Thankee sai!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm still waiting for someone to say they are shorter than 5'2".

Waiting...

Waiting...

Anybody?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm shorter than 5'2 when I'm sitting down. Does that count?

I did feel extremely small one day when I was at Notre Dame and a few members of the football team walked past me. IIRC, they were defensive linemen. Major-college d-linemen are, um, sort of tall. And sort of huge. My brother and I were startled.

I do have an aunt who is, I believe, no taller than 5'0, and may be an inch or two below that. But I really don't see her, ever. And it's not just because she's below my line of vision! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

sgt, I had a similar experience when I was working at a KU basketball game. I was working by the door that the team was entering/exiting. Normally, at 5'2", I don't feel so short..guess I'm used to it. That day I felt absolutely lilliputian.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Athletes are scary big. I'm still amused when I see athletes only a couple inches over 6' being called short. But I guess a quarterback just over 6' would be short if all his linemen were 6'5 and taller, so I guess it's just a matter of having a completely skewed perspective.

Crossfire 7 years, 10 months ago

"Nine of the fourteen tallest peaks are in Nepal, including the world's highest mountain, Mount Everest, at 8872 meters." Even a mouse on top of Everest is taller than the rest of us.