Previous   Next

Do you have trouble sleeping if the temperature is too warm?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 16, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes, I do. That’s what air conditioning is for, but a cold washcloth over the forehead helps if you don’t have one.”

“I generally do have trouble sleeping if it’s too warm, but I have a lot more trouble if it’s too cold. If I had to choose, I would prefer the heat.”

“I doesn’t bother me, but I do like the windows open. I just try to calm myself down and focus on my breathing when it’s too hot.”

“Yes, but I’ve got the air conditioning running at a constant 76 degrees in my room. I can remember living in the dorms and not being able to control the temperature, and ever since then I’ve had a window unit.”

Comments

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

I just tend to have trouble sleeping. Too much heat or humidity probably makes it worse though.

By the way, does Patti sing and instruct Yoga at the same time? That would be impressive.

enochville 8 years, 1 month ago

I have trouble sleeping if it is too hot, but I usually turn on the ceiling fan to cool off and then I can fall asleep just fine.

RockyInn 8 years, 1 month ago

Hannibal, You're either sick and twisted...or you know my ex.

H_Lecter 8 years, 1 month ago

sometimes it's handy to have something cold to curl up next to

Bill Chapman 8 years, 1 month ago

WONDERFUL CRAZY SUCKS SUX STUPID

More test words<

dminear60 8 years, 1 month ago

Reticent_Irreverent, I blame organized religion for a lot of things. Now I can add not sleeping well to the list!

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

Hannibal, that almost knocked me off of my seat. I love your posts!

Bassetlover 8 years, 1 month ago

Ceiling fan on full blast, the AC turned down to 72-74 and blackout shades on the windows to keep all the light out. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, that is the ticket to a great night's sleep in the summer. Also, wish someone would invent a way to keep the pillowcases super cold throught the entire night!

angelkids 8 years, 1 month ago

This is off the subject but is anyone else seeing the problem in the classified ads....there are none. Do you know how to contact someone in regards to that??

Bill Chapman 8 years, 1 month ago

There seems to be a limit on the number of caps you can type in a row. There may also be a filter on the words you can cap (as well as the words you can post).

Flap Doodle 8 years, 1 month ago

Easier to be comfortable in the winter. If you are too cold, just throw another "bundle of sticks" on the fire.

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

Sure do. We have a bedroom in the basement where it is nice and cool. There is only a single bed and my husband beat me to it. So I just turn the fan on at the foot of my bed, it helps if it is not too hot. Sat. nite last, was wicked and it was after 2am before I was able to fall asleep. Oh and TOB, do you have your squirrel gun handy? Can I borrow it? Last Thurs. evening my husband spotted a little chipmunk coming out of his bedroom. It ducked back in. We looked and looked but no dice. Then Sat. nite I found it trying to climb up the screen on the back door. I tried to open the door and shoo him out but he ran down to the basement. It took us an hour to corner him, shoo him into a box and take him outside. Then Sunday morning the cat chased another one into the bathroom. I cornered him behind the laundry hamper and got him outside too. These little, and I do mean little, are so danged fast you can hardly see them whiz by. sure hope none of the others get silly ideas about coming into the house. Anyway, it cooled off some yesterday, so got a bit more sleep. I could never, never live in a hot, humid country. No siree.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 8 years, 1 month ago

If we lost air conditioning, we'd all die. Hot, grumpy people would make sure of it!~) Those poor tortured souls. Let's all remember to turn the other, sweaty cheek...OK?...or to avoid those toasted strangers. The annual Test of the Hot Grump (Sidewalk Sale) is coming up so BEWARE people. Leave your children at home! Protect them from the madness! Do bring your strollers, though. The Test requires them and they're great for lugging around faux bargains.

mom_of_three 8 years, 1 month ago

The weather really hasn't been that hot for a Kansas in July.
No, I can not sleep if it is too hot.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

I personally have been doing the wet T-shirt thing at home...makes the air feel a lot cooler.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Well done Hannibal! That so cracked me up! (I think my brother was married to her for a time.)

Yep, hate sleeping when it's too hot because I have to have a sheet draped over at least 1/3 of my body for some odd reason. My best sleeping is during the winter with no heat on in the bedroom, a nice down comforter, and a human furnace to sleep next to. Not so good sleeping next to the human furnace in the summer.

Ms_C, It could be worse...my inlaws got up one morning to find a 5 ft long black snake curled up next to the computer. (He'd probably keep the chipmunks out, though!)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

ms_c, would you like some of our raccoons? I don't know that they would help at all with your chipmunks, but we're pretty tired of them. Um...I mean...they're lovely creatures who deserve a holiday in Canada. Yeah. That's what I meant.

Bill Chapman 8 years, 1 month ago

Y O U C A N A L S O U S E A L L C A P S B Y A D D I N G A S P A C E A F T E R E A C H L E T T E R.

I do regret the anti-cap thing - although I think it has a filter for certain words. WOW NEAT COOL SWEET

those 4 should be all caps - just testing to see if there is a filter.

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

So, I have three solutions to the chipmunk problen, an air gun, a black snake or racoons. How to decide which would do the trick. I think I'll stick with the chipmunks. They are awfully cute. Of course if we stopped feeding them sunflower seeds they might go away and bother someone else. TOB - I have no idea how they got in the house except that I sometimes leave the patio door open for the cat to go in and out. She may have invited them in as I really think that she likes them. She sits on the patio and watches them and perhaps she thought they would make good playmates inside. She gets bored, don't ya know!!!

Bill Chapman 8 years, 1 month ago

OOO! There is filter on he spacing too! I added extra spaces between the words to make it easier to read, but they were filtered out.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, I definitely never noticed the caps-killing thing before, but I don't often type things in all caps. But the panic section of my last post was in all caps, and now it's not. Hmph. That's no fun.

Oh, and sue, I would love to see a Horner-penned article about the looming threat of raccoons.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

But ms_c, how could you resist this?

That is one of the actual raccoons we would be happy to send you!

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

Well, sgt. I was about to agree to a shipment of racoons, but after reading the article that sue sent, I think not. Yikes, I wonder if chipmunks carry such an ailment. Anyway, I sure am not leaving any doors open again.

Calliope877 8 years, 1 month ago

Yes. I like snuggling up in my comforter with the air conditioner going.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

ms_c, when you read a scary article like that, immediately remove at least 50% of the scariness. Raccoons carry disease, but most wild creatures carry something that's not really good for us domesticated folks.

So the article says: AHHHHHH! RACCOONS ARE KILLING US! WATCH OUT FOR NATURE! GERMS! DISEASE! THINGS THAT AREN'T ANTIBACTERIAL! SCARY!

But the reality is: Raccoons carry disease ... but that's nothing new. Just be cautious with wildlife and don't chew on animal feces. Which, you know, is something most people do every day.

denak 8 years, 1 month ago

No because I have the a/c plus a fan going.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

sgt, Katie Horner would not be proud of you for taking the panic out of that article. WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!! ;)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Hey! Does the OTS prohibit typing in ALL CAPS? (Cause I typed that last sentence in ALL CAPS!) What? No yelling anymore?

THIS IS A TEST> IT IS ONLY A TEST>>>

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

WOW! It did it again. It removed my ALL CAPS. Has someone else already found this out and I missed it or did I just make a new discovery? I feel so like Newton right now.

pelliott 8 years, 1 month ago

my daughter is in an apartment in new york and doesn't have air conditioning and it is hot. But happily she is a geek and has googled and researched new ways to keep cool. She came up with wet sheet in front of a fan. oh, is that how we use to do it in the old days? i can sleep in heat but humidity just ruins me.

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

Something tells me, though, that it's not an unintentional flaw but an intentional program to keep the SHOUTING at a minimum. I'm not sure whether it works on more than a certain # of characters or what, but as Sue showed in her post, you can get away with a capped word, at least if it's a short one.

Does take the fun out of AaAaAaAaAaAaHhHhHhHhHhHh!!!!!!!!! WE'RE all GOING to DIE!

Wonder how that's going to work out.

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

Sweet! Just alternate, and it works just fine, apparently.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Marion writes;

Get over it, Sweetie; I pointed out this flaw in the software several weeks ago and was accused of being illiterate, drunk, stoned or just plain lying.

Oh! That's why I've not heard of it.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

I noticed the caps things a few weeks ago...it's annoying as hell, too...

Bill Chapman 8 years, 1 month ago

I noticed it - but since I have little say about the rules of the forum, I just ignored it. It was everyone else's comments about it that got me really curious about it, so I decided to play (experiment) a little to see the effect.