Previous   Next

Do you have trouble sleeping if the temperature is too warm?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 16, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes, I do. That’s what air conditioning is for, but a cold washcloth over the forehead helps if you don’t have one.”

“I generally do have trouble sleeping if it’s too warm, but I have a lot more trouble if it’s too cold. If I had to choose, I would prefer the heat.”

“I doesn’t bother me, but I do like the windows open. I just try to calm myself down and focus on my breathing when it’s too hot.”

“Yes, but I’ve got the air conditioning running at a constant 76 degrees in my room. I can remember living in the dorms and not being able to control the temperature, and ever since then I’ve had a window unit.”

Comments

Bill Chapman 6 years, 9 months ago

I noticed it - but since I have little say about the rules of the forum, I just ignored it. It was everyone else's comments about it that got me really curious about it, so I decided to play (experiment) a little to see the effect.

Linda Endicott 6 years, 9 months ago

I noticed the caps things a few weeks ago...it's annoying as hell, too...

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

Marion writes;

Get over it, Sweetie; I pointed out this flaw in the software several weeks ago and was accused of being illiterate, drunk, stoned or just plain lying.

Oh! That's why I've not heard of it.

Bill Chapman 6 years, 9 months ago

There seems to be a limit on the number of caps you can type in a row. There may also be a filter on the words you can cap (as well as the words you can post).

Bill Chapman 6 years, 9 months ago

WONDERFUL CRAZY SUCKS SUX STUPID

More test words<

Bill Chapman 6 years, 9 months ago

OOO! There is filter on he spacing too! I added extra spaces between the words to make it easier to read, but they were filtered out.

Bill Chapman 6 years, 9 months ago

Y O U C A N A L S O U S E A L L C A P S B Y A D D I N G A S P A C E A F T E R E A C H L E T T E R.

I do regret the anti-cap thing - although I think it has a filter for certain words. WOW NEAT COOL SWEET

those 4 should be all caps - just testing to see if there is a filter.

insiderinfo 6 years, 9 months ago

Videos of Lawrence Kansas Police Corruptions in the Yellow House Fencing Investigation

1. Mickey Rantz accused of stealing this guys 3000.00 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4340133527651365382

2. This Yellow house Customer was harassed by the police for comming into our business.

1. This video shows a friend of a Lawrence police Detective the state was going to use as a wittiness against the yellow house business owners telling how the detective covered up for him and used her influence to help him get away with breaking the law. This guy states the Detective stopped him one night and he had been drinking and had drugs in the car and she let him go, and keep the drugs. He also states the Detective took care of a major reckless driving ticket that would have cost him a ton of money, she made it go away and he did not know how she done that but she did. see the link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=512477259449319414&pr=goog-sl

2. This video shows a informant working for Lawrence police officer Mike Mcatee talking with the yellow house owners and this informent is busted cause the business owners know he is a snitch. see the link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8027930391109851316

3. This video shows a lady who says Lawrence Mike Mcatee searched her house for 2-hrs with out a search warrant and now 8 of officers Mcatee cases are on hold because he is under investigation by the FED's. see the link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4877159091452419592

4. This video shows a informant working officer Bialek coming into the yellow house business. this guy was responsible for officer Scott Peck getting fired and these officers are still using him, WOW the new rules in the police procedure manual clearly states the officers are not allowed to use convicted felons as informants. This informant's Name is Brad Perico and he was featured on Corrupt cop of the week II as a informant with NO credibility check out his video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8895719525858000365

Check out this link to my picasa web albums this album shows all of the infomation about Brad Perico. see link: http://picasaweb.google.com/guysmileys/LawrencePoliceInformantWithNOCredibilityUsedInTheYellowHouseFencingCase

sgtwolverine 6 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, I definitely never noticed the caps-killing thing before, but I don't often type things in all caps. But the panic section of my last post was in all caps, and now it's not. Hmph. That's no fun.

Oh, and sue, I would love to see a Horner-penned article about the looming threat of raccoons.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 9 months ago

NoT ThE T-ShIrT; ThE SoFtWaRe!

Linda Endicott 6 years, 9 months ago

I personally have been doing the wet T-shirt thing at home...makes the air feel a lot cooler.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Sweet! Just alternate, and it works just fine, apparently.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Something tells me, though, that it's not an unintentional flaw but an intentional program to keep the SHOUTING at a minimum. I'm not sure whether it works on more than a certain # of characters or what, but as Sue showed in her post, you can get away with a capped word, at least if it's a short one.

Does take the fun out of AaAaAaAaAaAaHhHhHhHhHhHh!!!!!!!!! WE'RE all GOING to DIE!

Wonder how that's going to work out.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 9 months ago

sunflower_sue wrote:

"WOW! It did it again. It removed my all caps. Has someone else already found this out and I missed it or did I just make a new discovery? I feel so like Newton right now."

Marion writes;

pelliott 6 years, 9 months ago

my daughter is in an apartment in new york and doesn't have air conditioning and it is hot. But happily she is a geek and has googled and researched new ways to keep cool. She came up with wet sheet in front of a fan. oh, is that how we use to do it in the old days? i can sleep in heat but humidity just ruins me.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

WOW! It did it again. It removed my ALL CAPS. Has someone else already found this out and I missed it or did I just make a new discovery? I feel so like Newton right now.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

Hey! Does the OTS prohibit typing in ALL CAPS? (Cause I typed that last sentence in ALL CAPS!) What? No yelling anymore?

THIS IS A TEST> IT IS ONLY A TEST>>>

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

sgt, Katie Horner would not be proud of you for taking the panic out of that article. WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!! ;)

denak 6 years, 9 months ago

No because I have the a/c plus a fan going.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 9 months ago

ms_c, when you read a scary article like that, immediately remove at least 50% of the scariness. Raccoons carry disease, but most wild creatures carry something that's not really good for us domesticated folks.

So the article says: AHHHHHH! RACCOONS ARE KILLING US! WATCH OUT FOR NATURE! GERMS! DISEASE! THINGS THAT AREN'T ANTIBACTERIAL! SCARY!

But the reality is: Raccoons carry disease ... but that's nothing new. Just be cautious with wildlife and don't chew on animal feces. Which, you know, is something most people do every day.

hitme 6 years, 9 months ago

Nothing cools the core like a iced latte colonic...er, I read that somewhere. maybe a bowl of chilled roundworms to much on with. Hey, we're Americans; we're the most creative people on the planet

Calliope877 6 years, 9 months ago

Yes. I like snuggling up in my comforter with the air conditioner going.

small_fish_in_small_pond 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm on something like 8 meds from the Bert Nash Center...Take a few of those and I'm out like a light

ms_canada 6 years, 9 months ago

Well, sgt. I was about to agree to a shipment of racoons, but after reading the article that sue sent, I think not. Yikes, I wonder if chipmunks carry such an ailment. Anyway, I sure am not leaving any doors open again.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 9 months ago

But ms_c, how could you resist this?

That is one of the actual raccoons we would be happy to send you!

ms_canada 6 years, 9 months ago

So, I have three solutions to the chipmunk problen, an air gun, a black snake or racoons. How to decide which would do the trick. I think I'll stick with the chipmunks. They are awfully cute. Of course if we stopped feeding them sunflower seeds they might go away and bother someone else. TOB - I have no idea how they got in the house except that I sometimes leave the patio door open for the cat to go in and out. She may have invited them in as I really think that she likes them. She sits on the patio and watches them and perhaps she thought they would make good playmates inside. She gets bored, don't ya know!!!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 9 months ago

ms_c, would you like some of our raccoons? I don't know that they would help at all with your chipmunks, but we're pretty tired of them. Um...I mean...they're lovely creatures who deserve a holiday in Canada. Yeah. That's what I meant.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

Well done Hannibal! That so cracked me up! (I think my brother was married to her for a time.)

Yep, hate sleeping when it's too hot because I have to have a sheet draped over at least 1/3 of my body for some odd reason. My best sleeping is during the winter with no heat on in the bedroom, a nice down comforter, and a human furnace to sleep next to. Not so good sleeping next to the human furnace in the summer.

Ms_C, It could be worse...my inlaws got up one morning to find a 5 ft long black snake curled up next to the computer. (He'd probably keep the chipmunks out, though!)

prospector 6 years, 9 months ago

Yes, warm beer keeps me up nights.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 9 months ago

ms_canada,

RE: CHIPMUNKS, 2 IDEAS:

Try playing a record player outside using 33 rpm records at 78 rpm. I have heard this is similar to their "native" language.

Gamo, makes the Viper Express air gun. It fires #9 shot from a shot shell. According Gamo's web site: "The Viper Express has all the power and penetration needed for hunting small game and birds at medium to close range; making it a powerful pest control for your HOME, barn or garden."

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

The weather really hasn't been that hot for a Kansas in July.
No, I can not sleep if it is too hot.

JJE007 6 years, 9 months ago

If we lost air conditioning, we'd all die. Hot, grumpy people would make sure of it!~) Those poor tortured souls. Let's all remember to turn the other, sweaty cheek...OK?...or to avoid those toasted strangers. The annual Test of the Hot Grump (Sidewalk Sale) is coming up so BEWARE people. Leave your children at home! Protect them from the madness! Do bring your strollers, though. The Test requires them and they're great for lugging around faux bargains.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 9 months ago

Ms Canada -

Let me get this straight. You have chipmunks in the house? How does that happen?

Anyhoo... according to Rule #42 of the 76 rules that came in the instructions on how to operate the gun: "Do not discharge firearm indoors."

Methinks your kitty as chief executioner is the best idea.

ms_canada 6 years, 9 months ago

Sure do. We have a bedroom in the basement where it is nice and cool. There is only a single bed and my husband beat me to it. So I just turn the fan on at the foot of my bed, it helps if it is not too hot. Sat. nite last, was wicked and it was after 2am before I was able to fall asleep. Oh and TOB, do you have your squirrel gun handy? Can I borrow it? Last Thurs. evening my husband spotted a little chipmunk coming out of his bedroom. It ducked back in. We looked and looked but no dice. Then Sat. nite I found it trying to climb up the screen on the back door. I tried to open the door and shoo him out but he ran down to the basement. It took us an hour to corner him, shoo him into a box and take him outside. Then Sunday morning the cat chased another one into the bathroom. I cornered him behind the laundry hamper and got him outside too. These little, and I do mean little, are so danged fast you can hardly see them whiz by. sure hope none of the others get silly ideas about coming into the house. Anyway, it cooled off some yesterday, so got a bit more sleep. I could never, never live in a hot, humid country. No siree.

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 9 months ago

If it did not disrupt your sleep, why would it be "too warm"? If it didn't disrupt your sleep, it would probably just be 'warm'.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 9 months ago

Easier to be comfortable in the winter. If you are too cold, just throw another "bundle of sticks" on the fire.

angelkids 6 years, 9 months ago

This is off the subject but is anyone else seeing the problem in the classified ads....there are none. Do you know how to contact someone in regards to that??

Bassetlover 6 years, 9 months ago

Ceiling fan on full blast, the AC turned down to 72-74 and blackout shades on the windows to keep all the light out. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, that is the ticket to a great night's sleep in the summer. Also, wish someone would invent a way to keep the pillowcases super cold throught the entire night!

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 9 months ago

H Lector wins the post of the week and it's only Monday morning. Good job. Come down to the station and pick up your free Klondike Bar.

acg 6 years, 9 months ago

Hannibal, that almost knocked me off of my seat. I love your posts!

dminear60 6 years, 9 months ago

Reticent_Irreverent, I blame organized religion for a lot of things. Now I can add not sleeping well to the list!

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't usually have trouble sleeping. I haven't turned the AC on yet, either.

thebcman 6 years, 9 months ago

Yes. If you're cold, you can always add blankets. Trying to sleep when you're too warm produces an uncomfortable, therefore, less satisfying sleep.

H_Lecter rocks !!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 9 months ago

Yes, I too just tend to have trouble sleeping. It can be hell. I sometimes will refrigerate my pillows in the refrigerator in my bedroom. A 37°F set of pillows really helps.

I usually blame organized religion for my difficulty sleeping...

"I confess that I am in bondage to sin and can not free myself. I have sinned against thee in thought, word, and deed, by what I have done, and by what I have left undone."

RockyInn 6 years, 9 months ago

Hannibal, You're either sick and twisted...or you know my ex.

enochville 6 years, 9 months ago

I have trouble sleeping if it is too hot, but I usually turn on the ceiling fan to cool off and then I can fall asleep just fine.

H_Lecter 6 years, 9 months ago

sometimes it's handy to have something cold to curl up next to

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

I just tend to have trouble sleeping. Too much heat or humidity probably makes it worse though.

By the way, does Patti sing and instruct Yoga at the same time? That would be impressive.