Previous   Next

Did you walk to school when you were a kid?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 14, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. It was about six blocks - up hill both ways.”

“I walked home from school when I was a little kid. I walked to high school every day, but it was right across the street. It was pretty convenient. I would have probably been late all the time if I didn’t live two blocks away.”

“Yeah, all the time. I was only a half mile away. I think it was my parents secret plan to get me to lose weight because I was a fat kid. A mile a day keeps the heart attack away.”

“Yes I did. It was about eight blocks. There wasn’t any bus service in Bismarck, N.D., at the time.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

No, I used a catapult and nets. Much more exciting.

/or, maybe I just wanted to.

juscin3 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes I sure did. Sometimes we would walk from our house to our cousins house, then onto school. Had to cross the railroad tracks. The guy that was there (guess he was a crossing guard) he would give us a piece of candy everyday. Very nice man. Back in those days we could actually feel safe walking.

May Soo 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes, Walked everyday to and from school all the way from grade school to high school. Even walked to classes while in college but it was only because needed the exercise.

onrywmn 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes. I lived in North Lawrence close to the turnpike and walked to and from Woodlawn most days except when the weather was really bad. Most kids did back then. When I went to Central Junior High and Lawrence High, I rode the bus to school or my Mom or neighbor took us. We crossed the railroad tracks everyday too. Some mornings the passenger train would be there and we would have to wait for it, which we thought was cool. The majority of the time we would walk home to North Lawrence. It was no big deal to us, and we thought it was fun. I guess we didn't know better. Okay, I admit it. I am an old Baby Boomer.

packrat 7 years, 5 months ago

Since automobiles weren't invented yet, I either rode my horse or walked. Sometimes I had to hide from native raiding parties.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 5 months ago

nope never lived close enough to my schools to walk.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 5 months ago

You bet. It was far more fun than riding with mom and dad. Walk or ride the bike and what a great Western Flyer.

purplesage 7 years, 5 months ago

Walked to and from until the junior year of HS. Through 5th grade, we also walked home for lunch. It was likely 3/4 of a mile each way. Sometimes, I took a shortcut that was actually 3 blocks longer though. Midway through HS, after moving out west, the bus ride was an hour each way on mountainous roads and switchbacks. I can get car sick just remembering it.

ms_canada 7 years, 5 months ago

When I first started school, I rode a horse, honest. In the summer that is. I did not ride all the way by myself, just across the road to the neighbours and from there we all rode together the three miles to the school. In winter we hitched the horse to a caboose. This was a joint effort between my father and the two neighbouring families. They took turns driving one week each. There was a large barn at the school where the horses were kept during the day. But my riding days were over when one day Lady decided to gallop real fast and I fell off. That was it, Daddy said no more riding. So I walked, except in winter, we still went by caboose. If you don't know what a caboose is, just ask me and I'll draw you a picture. :o)

Baille 7 years, 5 months ago

Nope. Mom thought 15 miles was too far to walk.

Kat Christian 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh yes - walked to school all through elementary school. Never took a bus until I was in Junior high school. Walked down a path through the woods. Another school I walked over a mile-1/2 to school over a highway that had no crossing guards and no one ever got hit by a car.

oldfashiongirl 7 years, 5 months ago

Hi y'all,

Yes, I walked to school, which I thought was 5 miles away, on muddy dirt roads, no sidewalks, back in 1932 in coalmining community of Greenvile, Ky in Muhlenburg County. I can truthfully say that I am a "coalminer's daughter from Muhlenburg County" as Loretta Lynn sings about. Actually when I was much older I retraced my walk to school and it was only 3/4 mile.

Miss C, riding your horse reminds me of the wonderful horse and buggy days when everyone rode in one, or just rode a horse to church. I remember on cold winter mornings you could see the horses tied to trees as they snorted and the steam from their breath could be seen. I saw this too when Mom would send me to the main road to wait for the postman, who rode with a horse and buggy, to buy stamps. It cost a penny to mail a letter back then.

I have the most wonderful news!! I have been suffering from "refractory anemia" for years and had been having blood transfusions every 14 days for past 3 years. I got sick and tired of this and had my oncologist make an appointment with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. The doctor was a kind man and said my home physicians appeared to be timid about handling my problem. He did an "aggressive" procedure called "banding" where the surgeon used rubber bands to tie off the bleeding tissues all within 30 minutes. I was dismissed on the 3rd day and went home. My blood count was 9.7 on the morning before the procedure and one week later it was the same and just yesterday it had risen to 10.8 with no transfusion. I feel so happy that they had this knowledge to handle the situation. So, if you ever feel you're getting the runaround from the local doctors, call the Mayo Clinic as they have thousands of specialists, surgeons and a research team that stays on top of innovative means to serve you. Thank God for them.

I toyed with the idea of stopping off in Lawrence to see my old friend, but I got cold feet at the last minute and did not go.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

oldfashioned, I'm very glad to hear about your success story! What a relief that must be for you. Hope all stays well.

It is interesting to hear about those of you (like my mom) who rode a horse to school. She also had to scrub down the sarghum mill every morning before school during processing season. No such stories from me, although mom did allow me to share a paper route with my older brother during grade school and we would get up at 3:30 am every school day morning to be on the corner to pick up papers at 4. We were done around 5:30 or 6 and would go back home and grab another hour or 2 of sleep before school. What was she thinking??? Oh well, a different day and age! Our biggest worry was "Hobo," the mean dog on the route. Vicious nasty creature!

ms_canada 7 years, 5 months ago

oldfashionedgirl - I, too, am so pleased to hear your wonderful news. I recall that you have mentioned your frequent transfusions before and I did sympathize. I hope this is the answer and you will steadily improve. They are called the good old days. In some ways they were pretty good and in others they were bad old days. But for sure they were much simpler days. Man, is it hot here. We don't have air conditioning, so I sleep with a fan at the foot of the bed. today it is 34*C. You all may laugh, but we are not used to this. One thing about it, it is not humid and it does cool off at night.

Tony Kisner 7 years, 5 months ago

I rode my bike any day I could, nothing better.

pelliott 7 years, 5 months ago

We walked about 6 blocks down a county road, but my dad built a sidewalk so we would be safer.

Godot 7 years, 5 months ago

Walked, roller skated, or rode a bike for everything, all the time. We only had one car, and my father drove that to work, leaving at 5am, returning at 7pm. The farm kids were the only ones who had to ride a bus. I felt sorry for them to have to get on the bus so early and get home so late, that is, until the time I rode home with a farm kid to stay the night. Then I found out how ornery they were on the bus and realized I was missing out on a lot of fun.