Previous   Next

What do you cook when you go camping?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 11, 2007

Browse the archives

“Stir fry is always easy. You just get a bunch of vegetables together and a little soy sauce goes a long way.”

“We usually just go out there and eat hot dogs and drink. I love to make S’mores though.”

“Last time we went, we had pizza pitas. Just take a pita, some tomato sauce and cheese.”

“I think the best way to go is to bring a fishing pole and catch your dinner.”

Comments

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 5 months ago

Just got home from backpacking. All we cooked was water. The gal did bring some queso and tortillas. Hold on. I found out she put that stuff in my pack!

dminear60 7 years, 5 months ago

My idea of camping is a hotel without a pool so my camping food choice would have to be MCDonalds.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 5 months ago

Does opening a box of Pop-Tarts count as cooking?

Crossfire 7 years, 5 months ago

I always tried to camp near the garden. Always plenty of yummy stuff. Watermelon and sweet corn was the best time of year.

trinity 7 years, 5 months ago

lol acg good plan! ;)

my fave camp food is biskits&graby(family thing, lmao)in the morning! mmmmmmmm...pancakes work too. cooking a good meal while camping is no biggie to me i like even making spaghetti&junk like that! :)

geekin_topekan 7 years, 5 months ago

I was raised with wood heat and a spring-fed pool for water.Looking back,life was much easier.Maybe I was just younger. Eitherway,I learned how to make the ultimate pot of campfire coffee.So much so that my uncles put me in chanrge of the coffee and I heard about it if it wasnt ready when they were.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

snap - only if you poke a stick through it and heat it over the fire

"Hobo dinners" are always good, and easy. And, no H_Lecter, I've never tried it with real hobos.

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

What's the point of cooking when you have Jack Daniels and cheap cigars?

countrygirl 7 years, 5 months ago

We either do a brisket in the Dutch oven or grill steaks. Potatoes wrapped in heavy foil and baked in the coals along with grilled corn on the cob. Breakfast casserole in the Dutch oven is pretty tasty too.

acg 7 years, 5 months ago

For breakfast, we always make banana pancakes and bacon or sausage. For dinner, on the first night it's usually kabobs (steak and chicken) and for the second night it's usually burgers and brats and steaks and if we make it a third night, we usually eat at a restaurant because by then I'm tired of cooking on campstoves and open flame.

Soapdish 7 years, 5 months ago

Camp stuff...or so a friend of mine and I dubbed it. The fishing wasn't working out so we unearthed what was brought and here you go:

• Cubed Chicken
  • Smoked Sausage
  • Canned Pineapple
  • Pizza Hut Red Pepper Flakes (don't ask me how 4 million packets of these made it to camp)
  • BBQ Sauce
  • Salt / Pepper

All (eventually) cooked together. Recipe was modified at home at be put over a plate of rice. Very very tasty.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

Usually biscuits n gravy, pancakes, or sausage n eggs ("garbage") for breakfast. Lunch is restaurant fare if we are out sight seeing. Fish if we are fishing. Supper is steak with some form of potatoes, "ones-a-meals" or something like that. I love "ones-a-meals." Take aluminum foil, spray w/ vege oil, layer potatoes, carrots, onions, and top w/ a hamburger patty. Sprinkle Lawrey's seasoning liberally...where ever you like. Seal foil and put down in the ashes to cook. YUM!

I predict several recipes today.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 5 months ago

just about anything you can cook inside can be done out ide. Me I like to keep it simple eggs and tots in a, hotdogs or hamburgers but we have done just about any thing camping so just do what you like people.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 5 months ago

I camp only every once in a great while, and when I do, there are other people in charge of food. It's better that way. Trust me.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 5 months ago

Our campout for Father's Day was pretty much the usuall. Supper is usually steak, brats, or burgers. Breakfast is a scramble of bacon or sausage, eggs and cheese. Lots of fruit, juice pouches, and cereal bars to feed hungry swimming kiddies in between meals. Beverage is beer and whiskey for him and for me a big damn pitcher od SOTB (Sex on the Beach). Of course we wouldn't forget to roast marshmallows. Good times.

Lakelover 7 years, 5 months ago

We always have breakfast burritos to start our day. just cook up some eggs, bacon and sausage, and cut up some onion, tomatoes, open a bag of cheese and torillas and YUM! Don't forget the salsa.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 5 months ago

Never go camping. Good way to get chiggers.

When I was a kid, however, we used to go on all day fishing trips. Didn't always catch enough fish to eat, but if we did, we cooked those over an open fire.

Other than that, it was usually hot dogs and marshmallows.

Kat Christian 7 years, 5 months ago

Chicken delight: Before packing up to camp the night before cut up chicken, potatoes, carrots, onion, green pepper and garlic and a pat of butter(margerine - anything else you want to add). Wrap it in heavy duty alumium foil. Put in freezer overnight. When ready to cook just put them on the fire on camp stove for about 20 mins. Its' like eating at a restaurant only outdoors. Really tastes great. Very little clean up just trash the foil. Try it.

acg 7 years, 5 months ago

A great recipe for omelettes while camping:

break two or three eggs into ziplock back. Mix well with spoon or by sealing bag and tossing. Add favorite omelette ingredients (including cheese) and a few tablespoons of water. Mix well again. Make sure all of the air is out of the bag when you seal it. Drop bag into pot of boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. Omelette slides right out of the bag, cooked and yummy and ready to go. Mmmm.

Chris Golledge 7 years, 5 months ago

If I can cook it at home, I can cook it while camping. Unless backpacking, then it's whatever dehydrated stuff sounds good to go in a one-pot meal; makes for interesting combinations. Some good surprises; some not so good. :-)

BTW, if you've got electricity, it isn't what I call camping.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

sunflower_sue - You're "ones-a-meals" are what I've always heard refered to as "hobo dinners".

trinity 7 years, 5 months ago

i beg to differ spacehog; camping is just sooooooooooo cool, i love it, and well hell i guess if that makes me white trash-so be it! :)

Chris Golledge 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm thinking spacehog didn't know where to go or who to go with. Although, the meth joke kind of made me chuckle. Many implications, all cynical.

Here's a recipe:

Dump Cobbler 3 or 4 cans of favorite fruit (not pie filling) Drain all but 2 cans of liquid; dump them into a dutch oven Dump in one box of cake mix; something that might taste good with your fruit - yellow or white if unsure. (Do not mix fruit and mix.) Drop in pats of butter or equivalent - say several tablespoons worth, kind of spread out optional - seasoning, cinnamin is good with peaches, not so good with blueberries

Cook until crust is brown and/or syrup/juice begins to caramelise, slower is better.
Target about 45 minutes.

My family likes this so much the made me figure out how to make it in a kitchen. Fresh or frozen fruit works too (best I had was with frozen peaches off my neighbors tree), but you kind of have to play with the amount of liquid to add.

Foil dinners - great! Eggs in a bag - great! Except, I don't bother with a plate; straight out of the bag saves cleanup (use a spoon, not a fork). And timing depends on how many eggs you like. Good thing is that they are nearly burn-proof.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

Ohjay, I wondered if those two meals were the same. Guess now I know! :)

cg22..., I grew up on "dump cake" that my mom made in the kitchen...only she used cherry pie filling. It was a quick way to get a good sugar buzz to all of us kiddies.

What is shoulder corn? Do you just remove the kernels from a certain spot on the cob? Any such thing as rump corn?

Crossfire 7 years, 5 months ago

Spacehog camping on deathamphetamines. Bet you can camp so fast that you don't have time to eat. Camping, camping, camping. But the woods will be really clean when you are done. Camping, camping, camping. Scrape all the bark off the trees and polish them so they shine. Camping, camping, camping. Sweep up all the leaves and other messy stuff that is out there. Camping, camping, camping. No time to eat. Camping, camping, camping. Lantern fuel and ammonia got stuff to cook. Camping, camping, camping.

ms_canada 7 years, 5 months ago

sunflower sue - can I come camping with you. I may gain a few pounds but it would be worth it. My sister introduced me to dump cake with the cherry pie filling.
We used to camp a lot when the kids were little, haven't camped in years. Favourite food back then was definitely the ones-a-meal or hobo dinner. so easy to do. Seems that anything cooked over or under a fire is great. My good man used to wrap potatoes in foil and toss them into the red hot coals. He would even eat the blackened crust. Yuck.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

Ms_C, as always, you are welcome at my campfire anytime! My sis and I may even break out into old camp songs we learned as kids. We have tons of 'em. (Some are not for little ears...don't know where we learned those!)

True story: The hubby and I were newly married and went camping in southern MO. My mother had mentioned that she had old friends that liked to camp at that particular place. We drove around for about five minutes and actually found them! We introduced ourselves and had a grand time. They've both passed on now, but some people you don't forget even after one chance meeting. Good times! (Rainbow trout was on the menu that night.)

manyblessings 7 years, 5 months ago

We cook all kinds of things. Usually for dinner it is some sort of meat, often BBQ (chicken, pork, steak) with a side of potatoes (baked in the coals) or wild rice and a salad made ahead of time (potato salad, broccoli salad or green or fruit salad) and maybe some bread and butter. For breakfast we usually do the standard eggs, bacon, toast but we have done pancakes, waffles (pre-made) with whipped cream and powdered sugar and fruit and sausages. We always make S'mores and sometimes pop popcorn over the fire too and make hot cocoa. Lunches are usually sandwiches of some sort that don't require a fire and watermelon or other fruit. We have also done beef stew and bread. We usually drink lots of iced tea, lemonade and juice and have coffee in the morning.

coneflower 7 years, 5 months ago

No matter how healthy my kids were used to eating at home, when camping in the mountains they would always choose to live on pork and sugar. Hot dogs roasted over the fire for dinner, followed by lots of marshmallows, and soda pop. Bacon threaded on a stick and roasted over a fire for breakfast, with lots of hot cocoa and many more marshmallows. Nothing else I would bring would get consumed. Followed by a week of meals like brown rice and broccoli back at home - no pork, no sugar.