Previous   Next

How much do you use text messaging?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 5, 2007

Browse the archives

“I use 100 a month probably. I usually text people when I don’t know if it’s a good time to call. If they can talk, they’ll call me back; if not, then they’ll just text me back.”

“I have 50 texts a month, and I probably use 40. Texting my boyfriend is pretty much all I use it for.”

Every day. I don’t have unlimited texts, so I try not to use it too much; but I do text a lot.”

“I probably send or receive about 14 a day. I just like to see what my friends are up to.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

A couple of my business school buddies are addicted, so I usually text them, but that's about it.

craigers 7 years, 5 months ago

Everyday. My wife and I as well as our friends and family use texting all the time. It is really easy to send a quick message back and forth to your wife during the day. It's fun and easy. I have a couple of friends that do it more than I do and they send about 2000 every month.

JoRight 7 years, 5 months ago

14x a day in high school. . .that must be some stimulating text messaging. "Wht r u doin?" , "Im in mth cls". . .either that or he's texting his bff Jill whose mom is snf.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 5 months ago

Much less than I used to. I use it only very occasionally. I like texting, but I think my friends gravitate more to actual phone calls than to texting. That means I didn't buy a texting plan, so they're 10 cents each for me, so I don't make a point to try to text much. Oh, and I have a hard time using the weird abbreviated language of texting -- this might sound odd, but it bothers me to write that way -- so my texts are a little bit longer.

Maybe I'll start texting a little bit more and see what happens.

Oh, and I'll be in Lawrence on Sunday. Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

devobrun 7 years, 5 months ago

Imagine a world without cell phones.

You do things for yourself because you learned how. You do things for others because you live in the moment and in the place. You make plans and keep appointments because you are personally responsible.

When you keep appointments, others don't have to change their plans.

The world becomes simpler.

You gain confidence and you are not rude to others.

You are a more complete and competent human.

You are happier.

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

"devobrun (Anonymous) says:

Imagine a world without cell phones. . . etc. . . . .
. . .Hang up and drive the car, talk to the person you're with, live the life that is right in front of you."

And stay off my lawn! Damned kids!

Seriously, lighten up. Some of us do all those things and still have a cell-phone. Some of us, of course, don't.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

Zilch! Seems a bit odd to me. (Because I am a lame "old" person.) I'd rather just talk to people because (very much like the OTS), you can't get things like voice intonations via text. I am, by nature, a sarcastic individual. (It helps me cope.) I don't think that would come over in shrthnd txt. Besides, when I'm old, I think I will need both of my thumbs to be in good condition.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 5 months ago

Two of my kids use it, but I actually don't like it - I have the old-fashioned one where you hit the "6" three times to get an "O". If I had a keyboard, it might be different. But it's soooooooooo slow to do the key thing. But it's nice at times for the reasons Matthew said.

Sgt - in Lawrence Sunday? COOL! Wait - it will be in the 90's. HOT!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh, come on, people -- go ahead and destroy those thumbs on tiny little keypads. You can always get new thumbs! Ask your doctor if a thumb transplant is right for you. Side effects may include headache, nausea, and ingrown toenails. Skin color match not guaranteed.

Gootsie, I was hoping you would lower the temperature a bit, just for me. You know, maybe 74-ish. That would be great.

mom_of_three 7 years, 5 months ago

I use text probably about once a day. Either my kids will text something, like bring home milk, or my husband will text me if he can't reach me by phone. I am much more likely to check my text messages than my voice mail (easier to read then to listen). My kids text their friends all the time (it's free, thank goodness on our plan). And sometimes it's easier to be discreet with a text rather than a phone call.
I just got a pda (and phone or is it assumed it is a phone - i don't know - my age is showing). It's easier to text now that I have a keyboard, but not as fun as with my old traditional cell phone. (can you use traditional and cell phone in the same sentence?)

salad 7 years, 5 months ago

I completely agree with devobrun. Cell phones have made society worse; I refuse to own one. How Jonas construes those comments to be curmudgeonly, "get off my lawn!" ...seriously?!?! I think you prove devobruns' point precisely Jonas. score: devobrun jonas 1 0

mom_of_three 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes, sometimes I like to type spontaneous messages to the spouse. But I have never been one to use shorthand.

cell phones are something I resisted doing, but I have learned to live with it and use the convenience. It makes keeping up with the kids so much easier, and nice to have during an emergency on the road. My dad, who is in his 60's, got one last year for emergencies. Of course, he still can't check his voicemail, but he figures they will call back if they need him.

Christian Hinton 7 years, 5 months ago

I text when it is more convenient than calling.

Not to mention that the occasional well-placed text can score major brownie points with the girlfriend!

I would have liked to see a larger variety in the people they asked. Just because older people would undoubtedly text less or hardly at all doesn't mean they shouldn't include that in this trivial photopinon.

Eric Beightel 7 years, 5 months ago

anywhere between 500 and 1000 or more a month. During the offseason when there are no KU athletics to text with friends spread across the country, the texting dies down. Once football starts back up again, I'll be in the 1000/month range. It's a great way to communicate with a group of people all at once by sending out one mass text with a short idea or statement. Things like "we're playing like ass" or "I'll be at Johnny's at 8" or something along those lines is very effective.

When friends are all spread across the country but are tied together by the common experience of watching your favorite team play on TV, texting is a great way to root on your team or talk trash to a friend who is hundreds or thousands of miles away.

Couldn't live without texting.

mom_of_three 7 years, 5 months ago

If I am watching a kid's baseball, softball or basketball game, and I want to tell the hubby about the great hit or play my kid made, it's easier to text than to brag over the phone. It's also easier to commisserate over the text, when it's not a great hit.....

Linda Endicott 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't have a cell phone. So I never text.

Guess what? I'm still alive...

purplesage 7 years, 5 months ago

None. Once in a while, one of those blasted things comes in from SWB, Cingular, ATT, whatever their name is today, Then I have to figure out how to get rid of it. I can't imagine trying to send messages; I don't even like entering names and phone numbers with those 3-letters to a key things.