Previous   Next

How are you going to celebrate Independence Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 3, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’m having a house party with a field day theme. We’re going to play some whiffleball, kickball and have a three-legged race. Of course there will be the requisite beer drinking.”

“I’m going to the city fireworks display at Burcham Park.”

“With family and friends at my parents’ place in Tonganoxie.”

“I’m going to my uncle’s house, because he’s having a catered party with an expert fireworks display.”

Comments

Bradley Menze 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm going to spend Independence Day with my beautiful family. Despite all of it's varied problems, I'm very thankful to live in the United States of America. We live in such a blessed country.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

I'm going down to visit my brother in Ohio.

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

Sigh. . . I'm going to celebrate by attending four hours of class and then memorizing about 50 new vocab words with required characters to write them, and about seven grammar points, etc.

I'll definitely find some time in there, though, to drink a cheap Chinese beer to the continued health of the United States.

Wow. . . . that was so un-intendedly micro-cosmically perfect, wasn't it? hahahahaha.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 10 months ago

Most of the day will be spent helping a friend move. Woo hoo!

ohjayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Sleeping in... my wife has to work and the big fireworks show we are going to aren't until Saturday. So, I'm going to try to catch up on some sleep.

And, sgt, hope your stay in our fine state is a good one!

cheer67 7 years, 10 months ago

Heading out to my aunt & uncles place at Lake Dabinawa tonight. They have a big firework show. Not doing a thing on Wednesday, we all have to work thursday.

trinity 7 years, 10 months ago

trying to figure out what the hell a "molding group leader" is. anyone? anyone?

i'll piddle the day away doing whatever i want, however i want, whenever i want. shyeah right. ;)

acg 7 years, 10 months ago

Ummm, cheer, I live in Lake Dabinawa and the lake display is on Wednesday night, not tonight. If you're going tonight for the lake's display, you're going to be a bit early.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 10 months ago

Probably has something to do with a factory and things they make out of plastic or other materials that they put in a mold, Trinity.

I will be watching the city fireworks display here. Other than that, pretty much nothing except lounging and watching fireworks stuff on TV.

mom_of_three 7 years, 10 months ago

probably stay home and keep the dogs from going nuts. Might buy a few for the family and head somewhere safe to shoot them off.

cheer67 7 years, 10 months ago

Well then I guess I will be a bit early. Non the less, we're all still going. We'll just have to put one on ourselves. =]

trinity 7 years, 10 months ago

ahhhhh ty crazy! and me who used to work in a doggone plastics factory! those were the days, good ol' plattners, lol...

canyon_wren 7 years, 10 months ago

I start the day off by lighting a string of firecrackers (illegal) under my daughter and son-in-law's bedroom window (I have done that since before she left home and she is offended if I forget to do it now). Then I will spend the morning playing John Phillips Sousa while fixing a fried chicken-potato salad-baked beans picnic which the three of us will take up on our local mountains (here in SE Utah). We will come home in late afternoon and freeze a gallon of homemade ice cream that has a full quart of whipping cream in it, then, just before dark, go to the elementary school grounds to watch the incredible fireworks show set off on the cliffs above town. After that, it's back home for ice cream and some legal fireworks of our own, although there may be a few bottle rockets shot off as well.

Our hometown fireworks display is produced by a local man who has his own fireworks company and who, the year after a fireworks shopping trip to Thailand a few years ago, was invited to come and provide the fireworks display for the King of Thailand's birthday party. That makes him a real celebrity here! Needless to say, he prepares a super show for us.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 10 months ago

Those ribs are a b*tch to roll, TOB. Ba-da-bomp-chsh

Probably Perry tonight and the local show tomorrow.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Ohjay, I'll be in the Dayton/Kettering area; my brother is at Wright Patterson for the summer. I do enjoy making visits there.

canyon_wren 7 years, 10 months ago

Come on out, youse guys--if you don't mind 104 degrees or higher. It's cool on the mountains and lovely in the evenings!

I was just in Atchison over the weekend for a family reunion and, although the five-day forecast was for 90-plus weather there, it turned out to be delightful and quite a bit cooler than SE Utah. It was great to see the beautiful Kansas trees and other vegetation and hear cardinals again!

canyon_wren 7 years, 10 months ago

Unfortunately, I DID come home with a few chigger bites from tromping around the old family farmsite. We don't have those in Utah!

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 10 months ago

Here's another one for you, TOB . . .

I used to snort coke but the carbonation ruined my sinuses. Ba-da-bomp-chsh . . . I'll be here all week. Tip your batenders and waitresses. Try the veal.

Alas, that is not original. Credit the Playboy interview with the Unknown Comic, cir. 1978

coolmarv 7 years, 10 months ago

Trinity,

Molding Group Leader- Person in charge of a production department, for one of three shifts, at PackerWare/Berry Plastics. Injection molded cups, plates bowls, etc.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

Trinity,

Molding Group Leader- Person in charge of a band of rogue zombies.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

sgt - We were just in that area over the weekend. We were at a family reunion in Springfield, about 20 miles east of Dayton/Kettering. Wright-Patt's museum is a very cool. I haven't been there in probably more than 10 years. I need to get back sometime.

fletch 7 years, 10 months ago

I plan on celebrating the birth of your nation by blowing up a small chunk of it! :) Gotta love counties that still let you fire off the good stuff.

beatrice 7 years, 10 months ago

They are saying it is going to be 117 degrees here in Phoenix on the 4th. I think we will be celebrating indoors. We'll just have to soak down the furniture before setting off the bottle rockets. (And don't give me that "dry heat" b.s. 117 is hot no matter how it is served, and is just 13 degrees below the proper temp for a medium rare steak!) Yikes.

angelkids 7 years, 10 months ago

I am going to have a birthday party for my oldest son he will be 7 he was my fourth of July baby well I guess he is not much of a baby anymore.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 10 months ago

Bea, I take it the person that told me you can be arrested for shotting off fireworks in PHX was full o'crap?

beatrice 7 years, 10 months ago

To take a steak rare, that will require leaving it outside in the sun for a few minutes, but keeping it off the grill. And when they say "avoid the potato salad," they mean it.

cantankerous? moi? I tend to think of it more like being one who does not suffer fools lightly -- like that person defending the pedophile teacher on another thread. Yikes. I hope even an anti-societal type like you, RI, can appreciate that personal freedom should not carry over to allowing teachers to have sex with their students.

pagan_idolator 7 years, 10 months ago

Huh - my mom lives at Dabinawa and she told me the show was tonight. For some reason they had decided to do it a day early. Wonder if she was misinformed?

kiynik 7 years, 10 months ago

Certainly not how it is supposed to be since they have taken the real historic way of celebrating away. No fireworks! It is silly I think to say how will you celebrate it when in true aspect you can't. Indepence day with out real fireworks??? Oh let me go throw down a snap on the ground and say yeah for our Indepence! What indepence??? Eventually you will be told what to do inside your home. Like what time to watch tv or what time to go to bed. Sorry the 4th was one of my favorite holidays for the historic part and the fun of it all but now because of dumb people who leave trash and start fires, my children will never know what it is really about! Unless we pack up the car and go away from our home which to me defeats the purpose of of the holiday right? But we will more likely BBQ and hang with friends and then watch all the dumb people do illegal fireworks anyway.

beatrice 7 years, 10 months ago

"or to their activities, customs, etc."

I believe I chose my words quite accurately, Mr. Personal-(selfish)-Desires-Over-Societal-Good. Thank you very much.

AA -- no, that person wasn't full o' crap. You really can, and will get arrested if you try shooting off fireworks here. Things are so dry right now that they can catch on fire just by thinking about fireworks. That is why you have to shoot them off indoors, to avoid getting caught. We aren't stupid! ; )

beatrice 7 years, 10 months ago

So now you are trying to be Michael Douglas in "Wall Street"? Since you aren't one of those top one percenters, why buy into their system? You are digging your own grave. If you buy into the system, but are not part of the system, then you are supporting that which suppresses all the rest, including yourself. Don't be fooled by thinking you are free or that they are doing you a favor by occassionally allowing you to take part in a selfish indulgence. Your freedom is an illusion.

In the immortal words of Public Enemy, to truly celebrate Independence Day -- Fight the Power!

beatrice 7 years, 10 months ago

Pilgrim, did you see the new law in AZ where any company that knowingly hires an illegal immigrant will, on the second offense, permanently lose its business license? Having to do at the state level what the feds won't do. It will be interesting to see if they follow through with enforcement.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 10 months ago

On second thought, I'll have to wait and see about the city fireworks display here...

Drove by Forest Park this morning, where they have the fireworks, and a large part of it is still flooded. Might possibly get more rain tomorrow...oh, joy...so we'll have to wait and see if they have to cancel it.

If they do, they'll probably have it on Sat...that's usually what they do.