Previous   Next

Who is a famous person you look up to?

Browse the archives

“I like Hannah Montana, because she’s really nice and doesn’t seem like she cares what other people think about her as long as she’s having fun.”

“Chuck Norris, because he’s awesome. That’s all you need to know.”

“Kelly Clarkson. She’s pretty, she’s smart, and she’s got an amazing voice. She’s always really nice to other people and seems really normal.”

“Chris Pontius, because he’s made a living off of nothing.”

“Bono. He’s done a lot of charitable things, and I like his music.”

“John Cleese. He’s a prolific actor and all-around nice guy.”

“Warren Buffett, because he’s one of the richest people in the world, but he doesn’t care about money. He gives most of it away to worthy causes.”

“Gwen Stefani, because she started her own clothing company after she already had a successful career as a musician. She just seems like a really cool person.”

Comments

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

For the most part, this does not make me optimistic.

MyName 7 years, 3 months ago

w00t! I picked Warren Buffett too! We must be kindred spirits!

Though Chuck Norris is almost as cool... I mean his tears do cure cancer and everything. Tough choices! Well except for the singers, I don't think I really understand how anyone can look up to Kelley Clarkson, seriously! I'm soooo tired...

Linda Aikins 7 years, 3 months ago

Love Sue's daughter's comment!

CrazyKS, I think Prospector meant that Wilt Chamberlain was very tall, thus the looking up. You do know who Wilt Chamberlain is/was, don't you?

Ditto Sgt.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

I hollered this ? out to my "just turned" 13 year old. She answered: "None! They are all idiots and get paid way too much money." Hmmmm...wonder where she gets it? (I'm so proud) sheads tear

cheer67 7 years, 3 months ago

Paris Hilton, because she survived prison, and now she claims herself "a changed woman." haha. (sarcasm)

Kat Christian 7 years, 3 months ago

Eleanore Roosevelt. A women before her time. Independent, smart with a heart of gold. She made sense, practical and put it all to use in many ways, program, projects, housing. She was the backbone of the President. I believe he wouldn't have been so popular if it hadn't been for Eleanore. I admire her greatly.

hawklet21 7 years, 3 months ago

sunflower_sue, your 13 year old rocks.

paladin 7 years, 3 months ago

Harry Hopkins, though not a celebrity or a religious "leader" or a politician in high office or an affluent aristocrat or anyone who was glamorous or even particularly famous and nobody one would give a second glance if passed by on the street, did as much, if not more, for the practical good for the people of this country that any figure throughout American history. Labeled a communist and a spy and a traitor by some, he embodied what is best about America. If you don't know who he was, it would profit you to find out, in my humble opinion. http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1610.html http://www.historynet.com/magazines/american_history/3026926.html http://www.answers.com/topic/harry-hopkins

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

The first to come to mind is Billy Graham. He gives evangelicals a good name. Unlike some of those other famous TV preachers, I don't believe I have ever heard a negative word about Mr. Graham. Reading his books has shown me that he is a very down to earth practical teacher. I also so much admire the Doctors Without Borders who risk their lives to alleviate suffering in poor and war-torn countries. They are real heros in my book.

greengoblin 7 years, 3 months ago

Was ready to pray to the porcelin god, but then I saw Sunflower_Sue's comment. Thankfully, there is still hope.

Eileen Jones 7 years, 3 months ago

Very, very worried about the youth of America. It will be up to them to clean up the mess we let BushCo make of our country. This does not give me any hope they are up to the task.

paladin 7 years, 3 months ago

Clem: What they teachin them kids that go ta them schools these days?

Zeek: Nothin much.

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

I look up to Harry Potter, because he's fictitious. Someday, I hope I can be just as fictitious as Harry Potter.

Fictitious

Linda Endicott 7 years, 3 months ago

Wilt Chamberlain! Get serious...

I'm still thinking...haven't come up with one yet...

paladin 7 years, 3 months ago

Clem: I look up ta them thar Preseedents up thar on the front a Mount Rushmore. Rooseevelt, Lincoln, uh.....Rooseevelt, uh.....Jefferson Davis, an I guess uh.......Ben Franklin. Yeah, he used to own the dime store uptown, I think.

Zeek: Heeyuck! Guest ya'f haf ta ifin ya a wanted ta sees em. Careful now whilst yur a doin it not ta trip on somethin er nother underfoot.

pelliott 7 years, 3 months ago

I have trouble with the word most, but I do admire the Carters, and lots of different dead people (George W. Carver, Lincoln, Eisenhower, etc), including my late uncle Bud.

pelliott 7 years, 3 months ago

Dr. George Tiller, for his courage and tenacity . bless him.

greengoblin 7 years, 3 months ago

I can only hope Sunflower_Sue's daughter will have even a minor influence on a few of her peers, or at least, I hope they will not pressure her to deviate from her wise ways.

lunacydetector 7 years, 3 months ago

Sheryl Crow. she wants to save the environment by having everyone use one square of toilet paper everytime they use the bathroom.

....now, i don't know about sheryl crow, but she ain't been eatin' what i've been eatin'.

she needs to come over to grandma's house on sloppy joe night. she'd go through a whole roll, the cardboard tube, and a couple of pillow cases.

but...i know she means well.

topekan7 7 years, 3 months ago

LunacyDetector...does Larry the Cable Guy know you steal his jokes? Have you any imagination of your own?

lunacydetector 7 years, 3 months ago

just pointing out the ridiculous and larry the cable guy sums her up perfectly. how long did it take you to google search that joke?

speaking of ridiculous, Sheryl Crow and George Tiller have what in common?

ranger73 7 years, 3 months ago

famous in there own ways-at least to me

Eileen Jones 7 years, 3 months ago

I look up to many people - among them Tipper Gore, and here's one reason why.

Why his campaign did not use this in 2000 I don't know. They are idiots. It puts to rest any thought Al Gore is wooden. What a warm, wonderful, intelligent and funny family he has.

paladin 7 years, 3 months ago

Clem: Al n Tipper's boy, Al number 3, was arristed early this mornin, fer drugs. Throwed in the hoosegow. Don't that beat all?

Zeek: Tarnation! Guesst he's a lookin up ta the sherrif round bout now. Durn fool. All he got n it ain't quite nough. Dang!

paladin 7 years, 3 months ago

Clem: Right here bout now, I'm a lookin up ta Joey Chestnut cause he done et 66 weenies without throwin up. Beat that Japanese feller, Kobeeyuchi. Got no idee ifin he had ana musterd on em, er catchup er nothin atall.

Zeek: Galldarn! Looks we finely won one fer ar side fer a change. Bout time, huh? Stick that up yer Tieota tailpipe, yaaaaall! Heeyuck! Heeyuck!

Linda Endicott 7 years, 3 months ago

Well, now, don't get insulting, Gootsie...:) have lived in KS all my life, so of course I know who Wilt Chamberlain was...but I certainly don't think he was a person to look up to. Height-wise, maybe, though there are some basketball players now that would make Wilt look like a shrimp...but then, sarcasm doesn't always come through clearly in text, unless you label it...

I thought about maybe Oprah, but even though she donates a lot of money to charitable organizations, and pays for schools in Africa, she also does shows about "my favorite things" every year, which are simply ads for the overpiced fluff she likes to buy. And giving away cars to people that she didn't even have to buy, since they were donated by the car company.

Maybe I'd be more impressed if she'd give money to schools in THIS country.

But I'm still thinking...so far I haven't thought of anyone famous that I look up to...