Previous   Next

Should there be a waiting period to purchase a handgun in Kansas?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 1, 2007

Browse the archives

“Oh yes. They’re lethal weapons. I would have to wonder why they’re in a rush to buy a handgun. If they are in imminent danger, then they should call the police.”

“I don’t think that you should be able to buy a handgun at all. So at the very least I think there should be a waiting period - your whole lifetime, maybe.”

“No. It’s a Second Amendment issue. You have the right to buy a gun whenever you want to. From an outdoorsman’s perspective, that’s kind of the way I feel about it.”

“Yes. There’s a waiting period to get a marriage license; there should be one to get a gun.”

Comments

Peaty Romano 7 years, 8 months ago

There's a joke in there somewhere...

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm still not entirely sure I understand the purported point of the waiting period. It seems like having to go the store is deterrent enough.

"I HATE YOU AND I'M GOING TO KILL YOU! I gotta go to the store, be back in 15 minutes. Wait for me."

Is there something in there that I'm missing?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

Maybe there should be a waiting period to fire the gun. Buy now; fire in three days!

Peaty, I think what you mean is the proposed waiting period for a shotgun wedding.

Kat Christian 7 years, 8 months ago

Most definately YES for any gun. However, what do people need with handguns in the first place other to shot someone. How many hunters use handguns to hunt anyway? Still not soley convinced guns should be totally illegal, because it is a constitutional right to bare arms and I'm a firm believer of the constitution. I just feel there needs to be a more affective backgroun check on anyone who intends to buy a gun. And if there is any question of mental instability, any criminal charges against that person then they should not have the priviledge of owner a guy. I think guy shows should be outlawed - that the only place to purchase a gun is a bonified legal gun show.

timetospeakup 7 years, 8 months ago

Waiting periods make no sense. I already own several guns, I can legally carry them - so what does making me wait to buy another one prove?

Even for people that don't have guns already, they got to the gun shop in the most efficient killing machine we have in this country - a car.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

"I think guy shows should be outlawed..."

First LOL typo moment of the day.

roger_o_thornhill 7 years, 8 months ago

Perspective from The Simpsons:

Homer: Just give me my gun: Gun Shop Owner: Sorry, the law requires a five-day waiting period. We've got to run a background check. Homer: Five days? But I'm mad now! Homer: I'd shoot you if I had my gun. Gun Shop Owner: Yeah, well you don't.

Peaty Romano 7 years, 8 months ago

"However, what do people need with handguns in the first place other to shot someone."

Some of us enjoy target shooting at a range.

conservativepunker 7 years, 8 months ago

Call the police. Yeah right. I was held up at gunpoint in Lawrence by a 14 year old with a pistol. Caled the police 15 minutes for them to arrive. Yeah right. I work in a gun shop, one that's been around for 40 years, and in all that time there is only 1 instance of someone buying a handgun and going out immediately and doing something. And that was suicide in the parking lot. That instance happened 15 years ago. The thing is, ya see, is that most crimes are comitted with firearms that are stolen. The bangers shootin up each other? They're not going into a store to buy a gun. And the Va Tech guy? He had his for over a month, so a 3, 7 or 14 day wait doesn't help there. California? They have some of the most stringent gun laws in the country, and yet gun violence among "thugs" and "gangstas" are on the rise there. Don't suggest banning-- in my business I meet all kinds.....doing that would just make the militias very agitated.

dminear60 7 years, 8 months ago

The Second Amendment declares a well regulated militia as "being necessary to the security of a free State", and prohibits Congress from infringement of "the right of the people to keep and bear arms." Think about the context of which the Second Amendment was written, i.e., the newly formed government did not have an established military and municipalities did not have established law enforcements. Can we honestly say the Second Amendment should not be amended given the fact that in todays society, we have the national guard, four branches of the military, police departments and county sheriffs to establish law and order?

nbnozzy 7 years, 8 months ago

Other than those in a law enforcement type of job (ie...bank and security guards) and military, HANDGUNS should be banned in my opinion. The general public has no rational need to keep the dangerous things on hand. (a rifle or shotgun is plenty for home protection)

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

Is there really a point in trying to shut the barn door now? Automatic and assault weapons bans and stiffer penalties for using guns illegally are what are needed now. If we completely stop, not just delay, the sales of handguns, I don't see it making much of a dent in the crime statistics for a very long time. The NRA and their members have already seen to it that this country remains a dangerous place for rational people to live, and delaying the purchase of a hand gun isn't going to change that. It is like putting a band-aid on a person who has had their head chopped off. The only true benefit I see in a waiting period is that it annoys gun owners, and I'm all for that.

dminear60 7 years, 8 months ago

• Between 1979 and 2001, gunfire killed 90,000 children and teens in America. (Children's Defense Fund and National Center for Health Statistics)
  • In one year, more children and teens died from gunfire than from cancer, pneumonia, influenza, asthma, and HIV/AIDS combined. (Children's Defense Fund)
  • The rate of firearm deaths among kids under age 15 is almost 12 times higher in the United States than in 25 other industrialized countries combined. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) Given the number of deaths of children attributed to hand guns each year, I find it ironic that the conservative right continue to oppose gun control while simultaneously opposing abortion rights on the grounds that it kills babies.

peppermint 7 years, 8 months ago

There is no excuse to sell guns without a waiting period. No sportsman should have any problem with that. If you can't plan ahead for hunting season, you probably don't deserve to participate in it.

swede 7 years, 8 months ago

Although I can see peppermint's point, I don't feel that this is "enough".

Anybody know how I can help locally with supporting more anti-gun/gun-violence ?(clubs, activist groups, etc)

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

No. I respected the legal waiting period on the two guys I have owned and that didn't work out so well.

Hello from rainy, cool, San Antonio :( There is so much humidity it feels like Kansas. My angelic spawn are currently blue-lipped in the outdoor pool and I am enjoying the peace and quiet. The true test of a family's unity is their ability to take a road trip together.

All Y'all be good!

Ceal

Kat Christian 7 years, 8 months ago

Opps I meant gun shows should be stopped. - typo sorry.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't see how a waiting period saves lives. Is that the idea?

Apparently there ARE plenty of those who'd like to ban handguns and cause grief to handgun owners/buyers. These people probably instigate more handgun buying than the NRA!~) It's like when Clinton was about to ban certain plastic stocked guns and magazines of a certain capacity. I've never seen so many people buying more and different stuff that they EVER would have otherwise. There was a backlash or backfiring, so to speak.

I've used my handguns to take free range squirrel, rabbit and deer. I wasn't hunting from a stand or with an artificial bush or covered with urine or wearing camo, by the way. Since a handgun is handier than a long gun, they are good for personal protection/defense, which is why they are carried by law enforcement, the military and other "professional" security forces. I don't see infringing upon an individual's natural right to self defense if the individual has committed no crime. I thought we are supposed to be innocent, until proven guilty. I really don't think that should change.

I am getting a little sick of both sides, effectively, saying "My fear TRUMPs your fear, y' big baby!" !~)

gogoplata 7 years, 8 months ago

Hell No. We have enough gun control, too much.

packrat 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm generally against government involvement, but until an instantaneous backgound check system comes online, I think that there should be a waiting period.

staff04 7 years, 8 months ago

According to the American Journal of Preventative Medicine, gun violence costs the United States $1.757 Billion per year.

coolmarv 7 years, 8 months ago

Peaty (Anonymous) says: "Yes. There's a waiting period to get a marriage license; there should be one to get a gun." There's a joke in there somewhere:

I think it means you have to wait to marry your wife but you don't have to wait to un-marry her.

acg 7 years, 8 months ago

The real question I want to know is this: how can anyone call hunting animals with a rifle a sport? What sporting chance does the animal have against some guy in camoflage covered in animal urine hiding behind an artificial bush waiting for it to walk in front of his path? It is like spraying insecticide in the yard and calling that a sport.--Bea

Here, here! I agree wholeheartedly. That's not a sport. Crawl your way thru the woods dressed in a loincloth and kill those suckers with a knife and spear and you've got yourself a sport! Otherwise, you're just another camoed idiot out there gunning down innocent animals without giving them a fighting chance.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 8 months ago

Ceallach (Anonymous) says:

All this talk of owning guys really bothers me. How much are you paying for these guys?

imastinker 7 years, 8 months ago

glockowner and packrat, I wholeheartedly agree with both of you!

We certianly need to do all we can to keep guns out of criminals hands, and if background checks do that, then I'm great with it!

craigers 7 years, 8 months ago

I have to agree with JJE007. Those that don't like guns, I would suggest that you don't buy them. Just because you fear them and don't think guns are fun to target practice with, doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to get one. As for a waiting period, I don't see the point. We have the instantaneous background check now, so we are covered. There will always be some that slip by the checks, but that would be the case in the longer period as well.

kcredeye 7 years, 8 months ago

No. I have no problem with an instant background check, however.
Is a criminal going to worry about a 'waiting period' if they want a firearm? Of course not! A convicted felon isn't allowed to own a firearm ANYWAY, so it's pretty safe to assume they won't follow the legal channels to obtain one. Why penalize the law abiding citizen thus giving the law breaker the advantage!?!?

Linda Endicott 7 years, 8 months ago

What possible difference can a few days wait make?

My goodness, we certainly are a "me, me, me", and "now, now, NOW" society anymore, aren't we?

I'm surprised that some of you don't understand why you have to wait 9 months for your kids to be born.

Doesn't anyone have any patience anymore?

Actually, there is a waiting period for a marriage license. Once you apply, there's a three day waiting period before you can actually get the license and get married.

Just in case you change your mind, I suppose.

And I wouldn't think you would mind a waiting period for a gun, either, if it means that even ONE person with a mental problem and an agenda might not get the gun he was planning on.

When I applied for my job, they had to do a background check. I had to wait two weeks for that to be done, before I could start working.

Where's your perseverance?

DWD 7 years, 8 months ago

There have been various cases across the country where women tried to buy firearms to protect themselves from abusive husbands or boyfriends, but were killed during the waiting period.

pelliott 7 years, 8 months ago

well, i like the carry law with the required training. Guns are a lethal tool which requires education. Like you tell your kids about sex before they are ready to engage teach your kids about gun saftey. , if you own one or not. Especially the thing about not allowing the pointy part be pointed at a friend, kids die fast.
As for guy shows. stop them, or have a three day notice, I am sick that everytime I go get a coke a cola there are men dancing everywhere. Next there will be street dancers, with their shapely shoulders and wiggly butts. I only have so many ones. Definetly a notice.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 8 months ago

There have been a couple of extraneous posts about how unfair it is for hunters to use technology (guns). I've seen this "talking point" shaken like a spear, in ignorant arrogance, ad nauseum! Talk about your specious arguments! Why don't y'all carve those words in stone instead of using your ridiculous, unfair, computers full of toxins and designed for Superfund landfills? How on Gaia can you refer to yourselves as respectable luddites? The truth is that you probably categorically hate "gun violence"...or are vegens and hate nature as it manifests itself in your being.

Most 'mericans eat corporate meat. Go act all righteously indignant about that! Is it fine to confine animals, bend their genetics to your will, stuff them with toxins, have them live packed together, wallowing in their own excrement and then mutilate their flesh commercially...but not to do what animals have always done in nature (kill and eat each other)? I don't see you out there with your rock hoes and wooden plows, destroying native grasses so that you can plant your green, genetic mutations and douse them with chemicals...I mean plant cultures vegetables and pick the caterpillars off with your calloused hands. Everything is bastardized in this society. We are sentenced without parole to this insanity. It's foolhardy to believe in your superiority because you eat systematically tortured animals or earth gouging plants. For me, hunting is a more natural way of life that I rarely am able to tap into. I would never think of it as "sport" though it often involves similar skills. You characterizations of hunters is way off, though justified through the lens of the corporate sale of this "way" to fat, lazy consumers like you and I.

If you are worried about individual animals, then you are doomed to a foolish life of wailing for the children of Gaia. Promote the earth! Promote human population control! Regulated hunting does not prematurely eradicate species! The existence of 6 BILLION+ people is THE problem! Cut off your genitals!~) ...or fo mow your freakin' lawn, I mean GRAZE!