Previous   Next

What is your favorite type of dip?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on January 31, 2007

Browse the archives

“I like guacamole with cheese on top. I like the taste and texture of the avocados.”

“Spinach artichoke. It’s as close to having nutritional value as you can get with a dip, and it doesn’t have an undesirable aftertaste like a lot of dips do.”

“Cheese ball. You can make it with all kinds of stuff. I use crushed pineapple, green peppers and onions, almonds and Mrs. Dash. If you want to get creative, you can make a football-shaped one with almond laces for the Super Bowl.”

“Spinach and artichoke. Probably because it has cream cheese in it and it’s really fattening.”

Comments

KSChick1 7 years, 12 months ago

french onion or melted velveeta with hot sausage crumbled into it

Linda Aikins 7 years, 12 months ago

Hey Grandpa! What's for supper???

Cream cheese and salsa. Yum Yum!

jonas 7 years, 12 months ago

Right now, I feel it's time to dispense some justice. . . . . . BRING ME SOME DIP!!!!!!

ms_canada 7 years, 12 months ago

Artichoke dip without the spinach. Second favourite, spinach dip.

number3of5 7 years, 12 months ago

My favorite dip consists of microwaving Velveeta with a little milk until melted. Then stir in chopped jalapenos.

trinity 7 years, 12 months ago

awww y'all just make my MORNING sometimes! :p

and, um, er-matt? ots respondant? a cheese ball is NOT a cheese DIP! tsk! how dare you?? ;)

my favorite type of dip? dippin' wendy's fries in to a wendy's chocolate frostie. mmmmm.

Shelby 7 years, 12 months ago

guacamole with cheese? That's ludicrous.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 12 months ago

Oh, trinity. Frosty fries. Now you've made my morning. I love frosty fries.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 12 months ago

Definitely spinach/artichoke dip for me! With the mini toasted bread slices.

ms_canada 7 years, 12 months ago

R_I - I have never had artichoke spinach dip. Only recently tried hot artichoke dip and really like it. But so many have mentioned spinach artichoke dip that I just have to try it. I will make some today for sure. I will find a recipe on line. Thank you for setting me straight on this. So kind of you, sir. :o)

Bone777 7 years, 12 months ago

a bowl of melted butter - with anything.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

After the kiddies are put to bed...a skinny dip in the hot tub w/ the hubby to star gaze. A glass of red wine goes well with this dip. Serves two.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

Ms_C, I sent you the recipe but bear in mind that I don't do metric conversions and the heavy whipping cream could be anywhere from 1 to 2 cups depending on how "dippy" you like it. Oh and the good news...it's fat free! So eat all you want. Ha.

thanksforcoming 7 years, 12 months ago

sunflower- i am confused as to which dip the red whine goes well with, the hot tub or your hubby.

ms_canada 7 years, 12 months ago

Sue - thanks for the recipe and no need to convert, we still have cups up here, strange as that may seem. And yes, fat free is good. :o)

trinity 7 years, 12 months ago

ooo ooo ooo just thought of another fave dip-hot rueben dip! mmmmmmm! use those lil' square hard rye thingies, yummm.

hey, we oughta put some recipes on this, heh!

kj 7 years, 12 months ago

I need some ideas for super bowl food. Does anyone have other ideas. I have tried alot of these. The Reuben dip is new to me.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

thanksfc, depends on which day you ask me. Today it's the tub. :)

Mmmmmmm...hot rueben dip! Haven't had that in a long time. (I feel a few pounds heavier already.)

My bro' makes a spicy/chicken/blue cheese dip that tastes like hot wings. It's way yummy. (He does get a bit heavy-handed with the hot sauce but I scarf it down anyway.)

kj 7 years, 12 months ago

I love dry beef dip. That version is a bit different, I'll have to give it a try. Thanks.

The spicy/chicken/blue cheese dip sounds good. Do you have the recipe for that?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

kj, try this: 2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped into sm pieces 1 c hot sauce 12 oz cream cheese, softened 1 c bleu cheese dressing 1 c bleu cheese, crumbled (combine all and bake @ 375* for 30 min) My favorite "dipper" was celery sticks. I don't think you can go too wrong w/ varying the amounts)

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 12 months ago

Artichoke Dip. I have two recipies: one with spinach and swiss, the other without spinach and using feta rather than swiss. Both are awesome, dude.

kj 7 years, 12 months ago

Sunflower Sue, Thank you for the recipe. I think I will try it. I t sounds great. Now I just have to find a vegetarian dish to take.

budwhysir 7 years, 12 months ago

I like a dip in the temperature and also a dip in political ratings. While this type of dip is not talked about much, they can be very good.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 12 months ago

Bud, a dip in hostility is also good. Most of the time. But sometimes you have to be hostile towards a dip.

budwhysir 7 years, 12 months ago

SGT, thanks for the tip, hadnt thought that far into it.

mick 7 years, 12 months ago

try this kj; puree a can of green beans, add crushed, cooked ramen noodles, 4 tbsps curry powder and raisins. Put in a bowl and smother it with Cheez Whiz

angelofmine 7 years, 12 months ago

This is my favorite version of the spin dip (spinach & artichoke). I like this better than any restaurant's version. Maybe its all the butter, cream, and cheese?? LOL

1 - 14 oz. Can Artichokes, Chopped 2 - 10 oz. Packages Frozen Chopped Spinach 1/2 Cup Green Onion, chopped 8 oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese (1 pkg.) 3 Cloves Garlic 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp. Butter 8 oz. Mozzerella 5 oz. Provolone 5 oz. Romano 5 oz. Parmesean 1/2 Cup Heavy Cream 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper 4 Drops Tabasco

Cook spinach and drain. Drain and chop artichokes.

In large pan, saute 2 Tbsp. of the butter, add chopped green onion and saute til wilted. Add garlic, remaining butter, cream cheese (cut into chunks and it melts easier). Cook until cream cheese is melted.

Add spinach and artichokes and mix until well combined. Add remainder of the cheeses (reserve a little parmesean) and cream, mix well, mix frequently, until cheese is melted.

Pour into 3x9 baking dish or casserole. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes, sprinkle with parmesean and bake 15 minutes more.

Serve with tortilla chips.

Shelby 7 years, 12 months ago

Mick:

Is that a joke? Reading that sent a shiver up my spine.

kj 7 years, 12 months ago

Mick, It is a unique recipe. I think I will have to pass, I really don't like raisins.

Now the artichoke dip sounds good.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 12 months ago

Good thing you corrected yourself, prospector. For a horrified minute, I thought you were hoping they sold that in stores or something.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

Mick, can I substitute canned baby food green beans for the pureed ones? I worry about consistency. Maybe if it is too thin I could just add some instant oatmeal.

Shelby 7 years, 12 months ago

Mick: instead of cheese whiz, how about the gall and bile of a goat? or stagnant hot tub water from my local gym?

mick 7 years, 12 months ago

Baby food beans would be good. And you could substitute instant mashed potatoes for the Cheez Whiz.

Shelby 7 years, 12 months ago

I think Mick might actually be serious...

kj 7 years, 12 months ago

Oh! Good! I didn't want to hurt your feelings. I thought it might be one of those college creations, that you used what you had in the cupboard.

kj 7 years, 12 months ago

Does anyone have the Reuben dip recipe?

mick 7 years, 12 months ago

That was my Vegetarian Dip. Want my Meat Lover's Dip?

kj 7 years, 12 months ago

I think I would be scared to see that one.

dajudge 7 years, 12 months ago

For the super bowl, one must eat a manly dip. I recommend the chicken liver and head cheese dip we used to eat on the farm. Puree cooked chicken livers. Add the head cheese, hopefully made from an old family recipe, and toss in an onion. Continue to puree and serve hot, or cold with dry saltine crackers. You can squirt on some yellow mustard if you like. If you make this and take it to 7 of you friends' houses, your team will win. Do not break this.

mick 7 years, 12 months ago

DIP TARTARE Combine one pound each:lean ground beef, ground pork, ground chicken and ground turkey. Mix thorougly one package onion soup mix, one cup HOT chili powder, 1/2 cup garlic powder, one cup water and 1/4 tsp soy sauce. Combine with meat mixture, chill overnight. Serves four. NOTE:joke, do not try at home!

H_Lecter 7 years, 12 months ago

A whole day and no one said, "Skinny Dip."

sunflower_sue 7 years, 12 months ago

H_L, blue said it this morning and then I repeated it later as my fav also. What? No dip recipe from you?

jasper 7 years, 12 months ago

The cheese dip at El Mezcal (Chapala for the Jo Co people.) It's addictive! Or if I'm at home Velveeta and Rotel is wonderful, too.

budwhysir 7 years, 12 months ago

mix a little scotch and a little burbon, not realy a dip but I have found this goes good with even the worst food

H_Lecter 7 years, 12 months ago

Sue, you're right, I missed them

Here's the secret of a fresh 7-Layer dip

1. Avabhasini: This is the outermost layer. It reflects the complexion and the quality of the Rasa Dhatu (nutrient fluid, the first of the seven tissues of the body). It also acts as a mirror: it indicates whether the physiology as a whole is balanced or imbalanced, and whether there is inner health or disorder. The avabhasini layer also reflects the aura of the individual-if there is inner bliss, it shows on this layer. It does not have its own color: it reflects the colors of the inner layers. Internal and external re-hydration and regular massage supports the health and appearance of the avabhasini layer of the skin.
  2. Lohita: This layer supports the outermost layer. It indicates the quality of Rakta Dhatu (blood). If there is ama (impurities) in the blood, it impacts the aura of the outer layer and accentuates sensitivity to the sun. The color of this layer resembles molten iron.
  3. Shweta: This is a white layer, and it provides balance to skin color, lightening the darker colors of the inner layers.
  4. Tamra: This layer nurtures the upper layers of the skin. It supports the immune system. This is the layer that helps the skin perform its function of being a "barrier. Skin infections reflect an imbalance in this layer. It is copper-colored.
  5. Vedini: This fifth layer sensually links the skin to the rest of the body. It is the center for transformation of sensation-feeling of pain, for example.
  6. Rohini: This layer supports healing and regeneration. Imbalance in this layer retards healing and the disappearance of scars over time. A balanced diet, rich in nutritional value, supports the rohini layer.
  7. Mamsadhara: This innermost layer is the platform for the skin's stability and firmness. When this layer is in balance, the skin looks young and supple. A skin product that has a vayasthapana effect nourishes this layer to help retard the aging process. Thanks to: http://www.mapi.com/en/newsletters/skin_layers.html