Previous   Next

Should the Kansas Legislature vote to go on record as being against Bush’s call for more troops?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on January 27, 2007

Browse the archives

“I don’t think they should. I just think it’s outside of their jurisdiction. I don’t like the war, but I don’t like the politics of the situation. I think people are piling on for their own benefit.”

“I think they should because the people they represent seem to be against it, and it’s their job to represent their constituents.”

“I think they should, but I’m wondering if it is an advisable political decision on their part.”

“No, I don’t think they should. Even though I’m against it, I think they should just stay out of it. It’s a national issue.”

Comments

couranna1 7 years, 2 months ago

Of course they should it is an illegal war which translates to we are commiting a crime there the government are reps of the people and the people should scream enough til something is done this would be a start

Pilgrim 7 years, 2 months ago

Posted by innocuous_posts (anonymous) on January 27, 2007 at 7:32 a.m.

"Posted by merrill (anonymous) on January 27, 2007 at 7:11 a.m. (Suggest removal) Two days ago I read that an army batallion had just landed stateside after 12 months in Iraq and were sitting on the tarmac, with friends and relatives awaiting their arrival I assume. They were never allowed off the plane as orders came for the plane to return to Iraq." Citation please?

Crickets, IP, nothing but crickets. What did you expect? Richard is nothing but a cut-n-paste rumormonger.

innocuous_posts 7 years, 2 months ago

ms_c, on another discussion board that I frequent, the Jeb as VP thing was very hotly debated for a few days. From all appearances, some posters thought it was a real possibility. However, it all seems to have been a bunch of hooey. Take good care of all your body parts up there while it is cold.

not_dolph 7 years, 2 months ago

Are you serious? That sounds like something that would come from our lovely city of Larryville...NO they shouldn't waste their time, or the money that it costs to print the bill that they would vote for (or against).

person_of_interest 7 years, 2 months ago

We're (specifically) speaking of the Kansas Legislature here....aren't we?

A "state" legislature.....not the government legislature.

And I think that's the whole point of the question....and virtually everyone else's comments (like mine).

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh, you mean that fundament!!!!

person_of_interest 7 years, 2 months ago

yourworstnightmare,

With all due respect.....I don't think that your response has anything at all to do with the question at hand.

/But, then again, maybe I've misunderstood your post.

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

I_P - where did you read that? In the comic section? Sounds a crazy thing to say. Jeb who?, oh you mean the brother!!! That's rich :o) Definitely not holding a cork in my fundament, where ever that is. :o)

innocuous_posts 7 years, 2 months ago

Around the end of December, Woodward was saying that Cheney was going to resign at any moment & that Bush was going to appoint Jeb as VP. Hmmm, hasn't happened yet. I hope nobody is holding a cork in their fundament while waiting.

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

I would like to make a prediction. I believe that your Congress will strut around the farm yard, ruffle their feathers and scare the living daylights out of Mr. Bush with a loud cockadoodle doo and then scurry into the barn and vote for the additional troop deployment to Iraq. I am making a note of this post for future reference.

beatrice 7 years, 2 months ago

If they vote against sending more troops, does that mean Kansas servicemen and women going to Iraq will be in violation of state law? If the national government wants to prosecute Kansans who are AWOL, will the state be required to protect them? Will this lead to battles between the state militia and the national government? Should the state be required to prosecute all Kansans who make a public statement of support of the President's plan?

I feel that the people of our nation did vote in the last election against the war, and will do so again in 2008. I don't think state legislatures have any control over the matter. Claims of wanting to making meaningless and hollow votes rings as, well, hollow and meaningless.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 2 months ago

Brownback has joined six other republican senators (including Chuck Hagel of NE) in support of the senate resolution against the Bush escalation.

Toothless? yes. Grandstanding? maybe. Remember, Bush is "the decider", and the senate is registering its opposition to his decisions.

The senate resolution cannot help but alert the members of the other chamber, who approve things such as funding Bush's escalation.

This should be interesting...

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

merrill - I think, when reading your 7:52 post, that you and I have been reading the same stuff about Rumsfeld. I am almost finished Bob Woodward's third book on Bush At War. Title, State of Denial. Mr. Woodward does not paint a pretty picture of Rumsfeld. In the picture I see such colors as arrogant, stubborn, and unable to admit a mistake. So many mistakes were made by so many people that I had tears so many times while reading this book. I kept thinking of all those beautiful young men and women in ruins because of the ignorance of those in charge of their lives. You know the old saying, Know Thine Enemy. Well that was the first mistake. No one knew the enemy. No one. The CIA got it all wrong about WMD. No one knew that the infrastructure of Iraq was in such a terrible mess even before the invasion. There is not enough money in all the world to fix that country and it is NOT all the fault of the US. Saddam wrecked that country not only morally but physically.
Know Thine Enemy, even at this date the unrelenting hatred and determination of the insurgents is not entered into the equation of the war. Damned pity!!!!

goatdog 7 years, 2 months ago

YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE YOUR WAR! YOUR GREEDY CHRISTIAN WAR! YOUR HANDS DRIP WITH BLOOD! MAY WHAT YOU HAVE DONE UNTO OTHERS VERY SOON BE DONE UNTO YOU!

person_of_interest 7 years, 2 months ago

Someone here (I think) used the phrase "political grandstanding".

That fits.

Because that's all that this really is.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

I think the Kansas Legislature should proclaim the week of Jan 29th, 2007 "SpongeBob grow a mustache" week. I think it would have the same effect.

KS 7 years, 2 months ago

Wrong church and pew to preach from. NO!

don_shorock 7 years, 2 months ago

No, we are trying to impose democracy on Iraq, not on the United States.

Das_Ubermime 7 years, 2 months ago

I wonder why optimist chose that name...

i_tching 7 years, 2 months ago

The Iraq war is costing us taxpayers billions of dollars. What are we getting for it?

small_fish_in_small_pond 7 years, 2 months ago

I am against the war but that would undermine the troops. Notice I say troops and not the current administration...

macon47 7 years, 2 months ago

the us congress cant seem to accomplish anything why would anything as lame as the kansas legislature want to write a letter, ( they must think they are the lawrence city commission) get to work and help kansasans, thats what we elected you for

Godot 7 years, 2 months ago

Merill, my father was in active duty on a destroyer from 1941 to 1949. He came home just one time during that period. That is what people do when they are in the service.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 2 months ago

Lieut. Gen. Odom calls the Iraq War "the worst strategic mistake in the history of the USA"

Rumsfeld publicly humiliated all who dissented, beginning with Army Chief of Staff Gen. Eric Shinseki, who was virtually dismissed the day he honestly gave his views to Congress. Rumsfeld's deputy, neoconservative ideologue Paul Wolfowitz, listened respectfully before rejecting the generals' advice. As the Iraqi insurgency grew, the generals found Rumsfeld "completely unable and unwilling to understand the collapse of security in Iraq," says Maj. Gen. Eaton. The severely understrength US forces have never been able to provide adequate security. Once Iraqi civilians lost their trust and confidence in America's protection, the war was lost politically. As General Newbold says: "Our opposition to Rumsfeld is all about his accountability for getting Iraq wrong from day one.

"Revolt of the Generals" http://www.thenation.com/doc/20061016/whalen

The author is a conservative republican. No matter which side of the fence you're on this is a worthwhile read.

optimist 7 years, 2 months ago

I know those opposed to this war like the idea of undermining the President but anyone who says they are for the soldiers can't possibly consider supporting this.

These actions can do nothing to change what is going to happen. The President has absolute power over military strategic decisions. Like it or not we wouldn't want it any other way.

These non-binding resolutions and the like serve only to make another Viet Nam of Iraq. In Viet Nam we won every battle and would have won the war in short order had it not been for the political correctness putting constraints on our soldiers and the political unrest here. Viet Nam was more a reflection on the failures of the American people than the military. The unrest here at home was used as propaganda to prop up the North Vietnamese and keep them fighting with the knowledge that the political war would result in the military victory. The American people provided the light at the end of the tunnel for them. Let's not do the same to our soldiers in Iraq.

Regardless of why we went in to Iraq and Afghanistan we can't leave either without securing their future. For the security of our country and the world from terrorism and the sake of the people in those countries we must leave in absolute victory. Each must have a stable unified government; the governments of each accountable to their citizenry. Anything short of that is failure.

If we really want our soldiers to come home sooner rather than later we need to consider how we choose to criticize our government's policies. We have the right to protest but how we do that will determine the outcome of this war. Your protests have consequences on someone. Unfortunately our soldiers are paying for your words. Stop giving our enemies propaganda for recruitment of others. Stop giving them hope that the political will of the American people is weak. Don't give them hope that eventually we will leave without completing the mission. Let's not allow them to believe that anything they do can prevent the inevitable. Don't be the light at the end of their tunnel.

innocuous_posts 7 years, 2 months ago

Richard Heckler 7 years, 2 months ago

Other member of the same batallion who had been home only two weeks received orders that day to return to Iraq.

Yes lawmakers at all levels should voice their concern when state national guard units are at risk. Pres Bush has altered the use of National Guard units to his convenience.

Should USA and British oil giants take over Iraq oil fields as we speak will USA troops ever be able to leave? This plan is well underway according to radio news Friday. The plan will cannot happen if troops are pulled out. Tax dollars will be spent providing protection for USA oil giants.

The back escalation of the Iraq situation:

"Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army."

"A second task we can take on together is to design and establish a volunteer civilian reserve corps. Such a corps would function much like our military reserve. It would ease the burden on the Armed Forces by allowing us to hire civilians with critical skills to serve on missions abroad when America needs them." Pres. Bush

The Bush constant surge runs through the labor department?

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

First two OTS respondants hit the pros and cons pretty accurately, I'd say.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 2 months ago

I think that their voice represents the people's.Isn't that how it works?Isn't that what the pay-raises were for?