Previous   Next

What do you like to do on snowy days?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on January 22, 2007

Browse the archives

“Sledding on the Campanile (Hill) is always fun, and then I’ll have some hot tea and watch a movie or some football.”

“I’m not very used to it. I just like to stay indoors and watch a movie.”

“I’d have to say stay inside and read a book. I do like to go sledding, though.”

“This is actually my second snow in about 15 years. I just moved here from Alabama. I like throwing snowballs at my boyfriend, but he doesn’t think it’s quite as amusing as I do.”

Comments

Linda Endicott 7 years, 3 months ago

Pywacket, since I'm not young, it must be the latter...:)

I don't mind working weekends that much...of course, I don't have a hubby, so that helps that out. I don't know how people with families do it, though.

My Fri. is like everyone else's Mon, and hearing everyone else talk about "it's Friday!" gets kind of annoying.

It's kind of fun on Mon, though, the first of my days off, to hear everyone else moaning, "oh, god, it's Monday".

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

Right click doesn't work for me...I had to save and then view. YUCK!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

Right click view image when you have the (mouse) pointer over the image...(It gets bigger)

Yeah, it's a mouse, in my vehicle's squirrel cage blower... go figure...

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

RI, is that a mouse??? eeeewwwwww!

budwhysir 7 years, 3 months ago

I can not give away my secrets

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

Some played outside, some stayed snuggled inside. This morning, while driving the family unit to work and school, the vehicle heater made this sudden loud noise. Usually when a heater fan goes out, it is a slow process, a little noise, more noise, then no fan. Apparently some were cold, and had to find shelter to stay warm.

MylantaJHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

All,

This is my first post to OTS. I've been reading the posts for a couple of weeks. There's a real community here!

I miss those Kansas winters, with the north wind sending icy shivers across the plains. I remember camping at 16 years old in Stull, Kansas, with the actual temperature -15 F (wind chill was something like -40!). Boots curled up from the cold and couldn't even put 'em on!

How 'bout some hot chocolate after sledding?

Pywacket 7 years, 3 months ago

Hee hee... hot dogs? As Throckmorton takes after both me and my (even worse) husband, in another couple of years we'll need to lock up all the hot dogs, carrots, cukes, peaches, cantaloupes, etc. every time it snows or have to contend with a "Sex and the Snowscape" tableau in the front yard. Actually, it might be kinda funny to freak out some of our more prim neighbors.

crazyks--I worked my share of Sundays (Saturdays, Friday nights, holidays, birthdays, etc) when I was young and unedjimacated. I vowed that, once I got some skoolin', as gawd was my witness, I would never HAVE to work holidays or weekends again ('cept maybe by choice, to help out). This resolution came with a conscious decision to reject such professions as MD, nurse, florist, exotic dancer, fishing guide, clown for kiddie parties, firefighter, and mattress saleslady at a sleazy cheap furniture outlet.

If you had to work yesterday and miss out on that most excellent snow, I can only conclude that you are very young (and paying your dues as I did) or that you chose a profession that, for you, is rewarding enough to offset your sacrifice of weekends or holidays. ;-)

Linda Endicott 7 years, 3 months ago

I had to work anyway...

You mean there are people who don't have to go to work just because it snows?

Wow...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

If my snow and ice covered molehill did not stop the delivery of both "Watchtower" and "Awake", it should not stop you.

Just take the 6 wheeler, or just call when you are at the bottom of the mountain. Hubbys truckster not 4wd?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

RI, If I had a suped-up 4 wheel drive, I'd attempt that hill of your's to see the snowpeople the devilspawn made. (Yep! those apples don't fall too far from the tree, do they?)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

Throckmorton!!!! I just bought fresh peaches... I know you do not care for the taste... Where are they?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

Py, Word to the wise.... Do not buy any hotdogs for little Throckmorton III before an approaching snow.

They say the apple does not fall far from the tree.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

I drove past a "family" of snow people in a yard today and it was complete with a dog, too. (I couldn't help but think, though, that it would have been funnier if the snowdog had been hiking his little snow leg to one of the snowpeople and turned him a little yellow.)

Pywacket 7 years, 3 months ago

Bevy~ I think you must call them snow men or snow women, depending on whether they have snowballs or snowb@@bs.

Before I had kids, I helped make a few R-rated snow people. Maybe I'll go out there tonight and enhance our snow guy. Wonder if the neighbors would notice..

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

Pywacket - thanks made my day, I laughed my derriere off. But thanks cause I really had not thought of that.

bevy 7 years, 3 months ago

Hey Py - I didn't mention the awesome meal I prepared, with strawberry vanilla cream puffs for dessert.

Just one other thing - do some of you have to turn EVERYTHING into a political debate? The bumperstickers were funny, but GEEZ, sometimes you work awfully hard to move the subject to politics/government.

It is o.k. to have a fun discussion once in a while.

Saw some great giant snowmen (or is it PC to say snowpeople now?) at lunchtime.

Pywacket 7 years, 3 months ago

Bevy~sounds like our weekends were much alike! We played euchre, though--I voted for TP but was outnumbered. I should've gone to your house.

Beatrice~ Emo Philips must be Catholic.

Ms C~ Before you decide, consider what you'd do if your beast of burden had a stroke pulling you on your conveyance... One of them you could shoot and be done with--the other you'd have to nurse tenderly, maybe for years! (bwahahaha)

beatrice 7 years, 3 months ago

No snow days here, so nothing to contribute. Instead, a quote for your enjoyment:

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked for forgiveness." -Emo Philips, comedian (1956- )

bevy 7 years, 3 months ago

I spent a glorious hour or so playing outside in the snow with my daughter. Threw snowballs, tried to slide down the hill (snow too wet), made snow angels (fully clothed) and built a snowman. Then came inside for some hot tea and a chat before tackling her math homework and dinner.

Had friends come to dinner Sat. night and they decided to stay over because of the snow (they live on a back road) so we had a glorious time playing "Totally 80's Trivial Pursuit" until the wee hours.

A great weekend...

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

sue and py - I will have to flip a coin as to horse and sleigh or tobaggan and the hubby. I favour the tobaggan and hubby.
Py - We used to be into skiing in the mountains, Jasper being only 4 1/2 hours away. Now I just watch the kids and grandkids shush away down the hill.

mick 7 years, 3 months ago

Good bumper stickers, but let's actually do something about impeaching Bush. He doesn't care about doing what's good for this country. Write Nancy Boyda. The Democrats should never take the impeachment option off the table. Also, take a minute to think about all those people who have to work all day out in this cold like the utility workers, mailmen, construction workers, etc.

Pywacket 7 years, 3 months ago

We played in the snow much of the day. We have a glorious snowman and snug fort. After it got dark, the snow got crusty and it was harder to make good snowballs (don't want to throw icy ones at the 6-yr-old). I just wish it would stay cold longer so our fort & snowman wouldn't melt so quickly.

Ms C: Bummer about your car. Make your man pull you on a toboggan for a few days to atone. Do you x-country ski? I wish I had some skis right now, but I can never justify buying them, as we only get decent snow once in a blue moon.

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 3 months ago

CC, gotta admit, got a good laugh from your bumper sticker post......very funny!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

TOB, I'm positive I wasn't in Florida! RI, matter of fact, the corp did pick us up. IP, that sounds nice. My aunt (who happens to live in TX) called my mom very excited the other day...her first snow in TX. (She is north of you.)

innocuous_posts 7 years, 3 months ago

I took a stroll under the palm trees & watched the carp frolicking in the bayou.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

sue, Did the corporate limo pick you up? Or were the employees still protesting your corporation's exploitation of spinner dolphins?

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

What was Bob Eubanks doing in Bangalore? You sure you weren't in Ft. Lauderdale?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

Ms_C, thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry about your auto. Maybe you can get a horse and sled?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

I donated my private jet for a tax break, so had to fly commercial. Then, I donated my first class seat to Bob Eubanks (the hubby met him in line at Starbucks). I guess the game shows haven't been calling him lately.

We looked into "Bangalore" to "offshore" our production...but our kids are totally against moving. We will do anything for the sake of the children. I guess we're stuck here...for now. Can I just say: "Dang, it's cold here!"

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

Oh and suzy, so glad you are back. We have missed your witty repartet!!!

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

I am not exactly snowed in but this dang weather has curtailed my mobility greatly. My good man took my car out yesterday, hit an icy spot and slammed my little auto into a lamp standard. Woe is me. Goodbye little friend!! Oh and in case you are wondering, he was not hurt, just his pride, I guess. So, I am wondering what to do on a snowy day. I will be looking for suggestions from your posts.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

Wait. I thought Sue had a private jet. She had to fly an airline? Bangalore? Methinks she ended up in Manilla.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

sue, WELCOME HOME!

Did you get bumped and have to fly coach instead of Firstclass?

After your 16day exploratory corporate junket, are you going to "offshore" your production facilities to Bangalore?

conceptual_continuity 7 years, 3 months ago

i like to bash that monkey in the white house .. check these bumperstickers out ...

1) 1/20/09: End of an Error?

2) That's OK, I Wasn't Using My Civil Liberties Anyway

3) Let's Fix Democracy in This Country First

4) If You Want a Nation Ruled By Religion, Move to Iran

5) Bush. Like a Rock. Only Dumber.

6) If You Can Read This, You're Not Our President

7) Of Course It Hurts: You're Getting Screwed by an Elephant

8) Hey Bush Supporters: Embarrassed Yet?

9) George Bush: Creating the Terrorists Our Kids Will Have to Fight

10) Impeachment: It's Not Just for Sex Anymore

11) America: One Nation, Under Surveillance

12) They Call Him "W" So He Can Spell It

13) Whose God Do You Kill For?

14) Jail to the Chief

15) No, Seriously, Why Did We Invade Iraq?

16) Bush: God's Way of Proving Intelligent Design has flaws.

17) Bad President! No Banana.

18) We Need a President Who's Fluent In At Least One Language

19) We're Making Enemies Faster Than We Can Kill Them

20) Is It Vietnam Yet?

21) Bush Doesn't Care About White People Either

22) Where Are We Going? And Why Are We In This Handbasket?

23) You Elected Him. You Deserve Him.

24) Impeach Cheney First

25) Pray For Impeachment

26) The Republican Party: Our Bridge to the 11th Century

27) What Part of "Bush Lied" Don't You Understand?

28) One Nation Under Clod

29) 2004: Embarrassed

2005: Horrified

2006: Terrified

30) Bush Never Exhaled

31) At Least Nixon Resigned

Marion Lynn 7 years, 3 months ago

TOB:

I keep my demons in kennel cabs at night as they are not well house-broken and must therefore walk them early in the morning.

Demons require exercise regularly lest they atrophy and will no longer scare the bejeezus out of the neighbors.

Thanks.

Marion.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

East Coast Lew just gave up our home game against Mizzou this year. So, it's a snowy day and I'm cursing so I can say I curse Lew on snowy days.

Bone777 7 years, 3 months ago

My second post got removed, because I did a little thing with some puncuation marks that resembled a naked snow angel.

Sorry LJW staff, but nice work.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

I like to spend hours upon hours in a confined space with no room to lay down next to a rude woman who is compelled to try and hack up a lung every two minutes. Gee, I wonder why my lymphnodes are swollen this morning??? I'm going to go back to bed.

Nate Poell 7 years, 3 months ago

From what I've heard, the demons really kind of let themselves go last year -- especially during the holiday season -- but they made some New Year's resolutions and seem to be sticking to them. So please let's all give them some support right now.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

T_O_B, It's a ying/yang, good/evil, boy/girl, light/dark thing.... Demons getting no exercise throws off the balance of life.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

Apparently demons are out of shape. I guess they sit around all day drinking Yoo-Hoo and eating a variety of Little Debbie snacks while they find cruel ways to make Peyton "Dan Marino" Manning lose playoff games. I suspect they also had something to do with Ben Affleck's acting.

Topside 7 years, 3 months ago

Not much basically stayed inside and played WoW half the day.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

Sarge = There were no winners as far as my life is concenred.

Can someone tell me why demons need exercise?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

TOB, I think when it came to tv hype, there could have been only losers in the Indy/NE game yesterday. If the Pats won, it would have been all about Brady/Belichick (and I even like Brady, being a Michigan man) and Manning's inability to win; with the Colts winning, it was all about Manning's redemption and exorcising his demons. I almost would have preferred that neither team win the game; it would have been nice to have the game end in a tie and have the Chargers go to the Super Bowl.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

Shoveled snow. Watched a heartless basketball team lose. Watched football.

And, I almost destroyed my tv. I was up to my limit on announcers and talking heads saying that Peyton Manning, "exercised his demons."

small_fish_in_small_pond 7 years, 3 months ago

Stay busy so Spring comes in a hurry...

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Right now, play with my new Wii.

Normally. . . if it's cold, I tend to substitute fake warmth for real warmth with large helpings of Tennessee's Old No. 7.

. . . and that discovery channel thing Reticent-Irreverent was talking about, too.

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 3 months ago

Get out all my guns and clean them, wearing just my underwear and my W ball cap.

budwhysir 7 years, 3 months ago

Politicaly speaking, I was busy being busy

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 3 months ago

You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals....

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

That's easy: ski.

Also, going back to yesterday (since I didn't check it yesterday -- I was busy watching the Bears win), I always thought that to be scalping tickets, the selling price had to be above face value. So I thought buying tickets at or below face value, as many said they have done, would not be considered scalping.

Bone777 7 years, 3 months ago