Previous   Next

What do you like to do on snowy days?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on January 22, 2007

Browse the archives

“Sledding on the Campanile (Hill) is always fun, and then I’ll have some hot tea and watch a movie or some football.”

“I’m not very used to it. I just like to stay indoors and watch a movie.”

“I’d have to say stay inside and read a book. I do like to go sledding, though.”

“This is actually my second snow in about 15 years. I just moved here from Alabama. I like throwing snowballs at my boyfriend, but he doesn’t think it’s quite as amusing as I do.”

Comments

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

Politicaly speaking, I was busy being busy

Bone777 7 years, 11 months ago

sgtwolverine 7 years, 11 months ago

That's easy: ski.

Also, going back to yesterday (since I didn't check it yesterday -- I was busy watching the Bears win), I always thought that to be scalping tickets, the selling price had to be above face value. So I thought buying tickets at or below face value, as many said they have done, would not be considered scalping.

jonas 7 years, 11 months ago

Right now, play with my new Wii.

Normally. . . if it's cold, I tend to substitute fake warmth for real warmth with large helpings of Tennessee's Old No. 7.

. . . and that discovery channel thing Reticent-Irreverent was talking about, too.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 11 months ago

TOB, I think when it came to tv hype, there could have been only losers in the Indy/NE game yesterday. If the Pats won, it would have been all about Brady/Belichick (and I even like Brady, being a Michigan man) and Manning's inability to win; with the Colts winning, it was all about Manning's redemption and exorcising his demons. I almost would have preferred that neither team win the game; it would have been nice to have the game end in a tie and have the Chargers go to the Super Bowl.

Topside 7 years, 11 months ago

Not much basically stayed inside and played WoW half the day.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 11 months ago

Apparently demons are out of shape. I guess they sit around all day drinking Yoo-Hoo and eating a variety of Little Debbie snacks while they find cruel ways to make Peyton "Dan Marino" Manning lose playoff games. I suspect they also had something to do with Ben Affleck's acting.

Nate Poell 7 years, 11 months ago

From what I've heard, the demons really kind of let themselves go last year -- especially during the holiday season -- but they made some New Year's resolutions and seem to be sticking to them. So please let's all give them some support right now.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

I like to spend hours upon hours in a confined space with no room to lay down next to a rude woman who is compelled to try and hack up a lung every two minutes. Gee, I wonder why my lymphnodes are swollen this morning??? I'm going to go back to bed.

Bone777 7 years, 11 months ago

My second post got removed, because I did a little thing with some puncuation marks that resembled a naked snow angel.

Sorry LJW staff, but nice work.

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

I am not exactly snowed in but this dang weather has curtailed my mobility greatly. My good man took my car out yesterday, hit an icy spot and slammed my little auto into a lamp standard. Woe is me. Goodbye little friend!! Oh and in case you are wondering, he was not hurt, just his pride, I guess. So, I am wondering what to do on a snowy day. I will be looking for suggestions from your posts.

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

Oh and suzy, so glad you are back. We have missed your witty repartet!!!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

I donated my private jet for a tax break, so had to fly commercial. Then, I donated my first class seat to Bob Eubanks (the hubby met him in line at Starbucks). I guess the game shows haven't been calling him lately.

We looked into "Bangalore" to "offshore" our production...but our kids are totally against moving. We will do anything for the sake of the children. I guess we're stuck here...for now. Can I just say: "Dang, it's cold here!"

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

Ms_C, thanks for the warm welcome! Sorry about your auto. Maybe you can get a horse and sled?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

TOB, I'm positive I wasn't in Florida! RI, matter of fact, the corp did pick us up. IP, that sounds nice. My aunt (who happens to live in TX) called my mom very excited the other day...her first snow in TX. (She is north of you.)

mick 7 years, 11 months ago

Good bumper stickers, but let's actually do something about impeaching Bush. He doesn't care about doing what's good for this country. Write Nancy Boyda. The Democrats should never take the impeachment option off the table. Also, take a minute to think about all those people who have to work all day out in this cold like the utility workers, mailmen, construction workers, etc.

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

sue and py - I will have to flip a coin as to horse and sleigh or tobaggan and the hubby. I favour the tobaggan and hubby.
Py - We used to be into skiing in the mountains, Jasper being only 4 1/2 hours away. Now I just watch the kids and grandkids shush away down the hill.

bevy 7 years, 11 months ago

I spent a glorious hour or so playing outside in the snow with my daughter. Threw snowballs, tried to slide down the hill (snow too wet), made snow angels (fully clothed) and built a snowman. Then came inside for some hot tea and a chat before tackling her math homework and dinner.

Had friends come to dinner Sat. night and they decided to stay over because of the snow (they live on a back road) so we had a glorious time playing "Totally 80's Trivial Pursuit" until the wee hours.

A great weekend...

beatrice 7 years, 11 months ago

No snow days here, so nothing to contribute. Instead, a quote for your enjoyment:

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked for forgiveness." -Emo Philips, comedian (1956- )

bevy 7 years, 11 months ago

Hey Py - I didn't mention the awesome meal I prepared, with strawberry vanilla cream puffs for dessert.

Just one other thing - do some of you have to turn EVERYTHING into a political debate? The bumperstickers were funny, but GEEZ, sometimes you work awfully hard to move the subject to politics/government.

It is o.k. to have a fun discussion once in a while.

Saw some great giant snowmen (or is it PC to say snowpeople now?) at lunchtime.

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

Pywacket - thanks made my day, I laughed my derriere off. But thanks cause I really had not thought of that.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

I drove past a "family" of snow people in a yard today and it was complete with a dog, too. (I couldn't help but think, though, that it would have been funnier if the snowdog had been hiking his little snow leg to one of the snowpeople and turned him a little yellow.)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

RI, If I had a suped-up 4 wheel drive, I'd attempt that hill of your's to see the snowpeople the devilspawn made. (Yep! those apples don't fall too far from the tree, do they?)

Linda Endicott 7 years, 11 months ago

I had to work anyway...

You mean there are people who don't have to go to work just because it snows?

Wow...

MylantaJHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

All,

This is my first post to OTS. I've been reading the posts for a couple of weeks. There's a real community here!

I miss those Kansas winters, with the north wind sending icy shivers across the plains. I remember camping at 16 years old in Stull, Kansas, with the actual temperature -15 F (wind chill was something like -40!). Boots curled up from the cold and couldn't even put 'em on!

How 'bout some hot chocolate after sledding?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

Right click doesn't work for me...I had to save and then view. YUCK!

Linda Endicott 7 years, 11 months ago

Pywacket, since I'm not young, it must be the latter...:)

I don't mind working weekends that much...of course, I don't have a hubby, so that helps that out. I don't know how people with families do it, though.

My Fri. is like everyone else's Mon, and hearing everyone else talk about "it's Friday!" gets kind of annoying.

It's kind of fun on Mon, though, the first of my days off, to hear everyone else moaning, "oh, god, it's Monday".