Previous   Next

Have you ever bought or sold a scalped ticket?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 21, 2007

Browse the archives

“No. I don’t really go to a lot of shows, but I would if I needed one.”

“I bought one for Pink Floyd, 1993, at Jack Murphy Stadium in San Diego.”

“Sort of, but I sold the ticket for less than I bought it for.”

“No. I never have. I usually plan far enough ahead.”

Comments

KS 7 years, 11 months ago

Yes and I see nothing wrong with it. Most people either can not afford or do not desire to be season ticket holders to many activities. When an opportunity comes along to attend an individual event, thank goodness there are some people out there willing to take a risk and make a ticket available. Sometimes the scalpers make a little profit and sometimes they don't. That is business.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 11 months ago

I once paid $400 for Two front row seats to KISS at the Desert Pavillion outside of Phoenix. Great show!!

sublime 7 years, 11 months ago

I got two seats.6th row center stage for Metallica in 93.That show rocked.

jonas 7 years, 11 months ago

sublime: I think I remember that show rocking pretty hard. The next one, at Kemper, was frockin' great too. One after that, started going downhill pretty fast.

Mike Blur 7 years, 11 months ago

I paid face value for tix to KU/TX in 2003 five minutes before tip-off. (That's the game where Collison scored 24 pts and grabbed 23 rebs.) We were on the top row of Allen Fieldhouse but it was worth every penny.

beatrice 7 years, 11 months ago

Many times, most of the time it was for less than face value. There were so many people with extra tickets that I paid $5 to see Led Zeppelin in 1977, back when every ticket was general admission. Me and a friend got pretty close to the stage for that one. I've been to several sporting events, and we never pay more than face value when going at the last minute. We did, however, pay double face value for second row tickets to see Alan Parsons with Kansas. Well worth it. The one thing I won't do is pay more for a ticket than you would pay to purchase a given band's entire music collection.

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

Almost did once. Went to St. Louis to watch KU basketball play in the Elite Eight against Georgia Tech. A scalper sought us out as we were walking to the box office. Wanted face value for nose bleed seats. Told us we wouldn't find better seats. I didn't get a great feeling, and we walked away. Went to the box office, and scored seats behind the basket on KU's side, next to the KU band. It was great.

KS 7 years, 11 months ago

hitme - That is called a business. You don't have to buy from Ticketmaster.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

That's right KS. Lots of events only sell through Ticketmaster, where you pay outrageous fees and then you pay building location rights (or whatever they're called). You can't go to the location and buy tickets directly. If the event cancels, TM doesn't refund their "handling" charges either.

Should be TicketBenDoverMaster.

I'm with TOB. I just bitch about it.

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 11 months ago

I sell tickets regularly on eBay. It is legal depending on the state of where the event takes place and where the tickets are being sold.

Amazingly, Royals tickets actually draw me a profit as well.

The key is to diversify your tickets by sport and teams.

Ticket reselling is the current term. Legal in all states (as long as it is not on the actual venue grounds), but few have restrictions.