Previous   Next

How can people serve their community on Martin Luther King Jr. Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 15, 2007

Browse the archives

“They could talk to others about racial issues that currently affect our society and work with kids to help them understand racial issues.”

“Do something for anyone who is less fortunate than you, because there will always be less fortunate people that need help.”

“They could work at L.I.N.K., Jubilee Cafe or somewhere they can benefit people in need.”

“They can start by being a little more kind to everyone they meet that day.”

Comments

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

Will there be anything at the Dole Center?

sister 7 years, 11 months ago

Since when has MLK day been a community outreach day?

trinity 7 years, 11 months ago

as a state employee-i'm wondering how many times we'll get slammed and picked on today! :*(

ah well...in my capacity i serve community on a daily basis, so i dunno-i'm thinkin' i'm going to just have a real laid back kind of day.

alm77 7 years, 11 months ago

Stop me if I'm out of line here, but why are all these people white? I would think for a question about a day dedicated to the works of a civil rights leader that there would be a good racial mix for this WOTS. . . .

mr_daniels 7 years, 11 months ago

Just another work day for me...yawn! Better brew that hot cup o'joe and warm up old paint (my old chevy truck).

Good day.

Dixie Jones 7 years, 11 months ago

ok just a off the wall question but what is a desk assistant?? does she assist desk when they have a question....ok ok yeah im being a SA today,,, my real comment is where is a good place for the 14 year old son to do vol hrs for his 8th grade class requirement ? i dont want it to be just because he has to do it i want him to WANT to help thoes in need... i would love for it to cont long after 8th grade .any help fellow posters... have a great day even if you have to work ....the snow is beautiful of course i dont have to be out in it .....

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

T, I'm a state worker too and have the day off. I went to the Dole Center when we got the day off for Gerald Ford - figured if we were getting paid to honor him, at least I could do something to honor him.

Since I've declared it National Stay in my Jammies All Day day, I will honor by reading about him on-line.

MONday MONday MONdayyyyyy :(

muddfoot55 7 years, 11 months ago

Having participated in MLK activities through area churches in past years, this year was different. There seemed to be no sharing of information to allow anyone else to be involved except the chosen few. And is sad and a shame. What was meant to be a uniting of racial and cultural diversity has furthered our separation. MLK would be so proud....not.

southerngirl 7 years, 11 months ago

Peaches, Your son should do something that really interests him (duh-but read on). I volunteered during my middle school years in an area that interested me- working with young children. I used my volunteer experience as references and experience when I got my first job as an afternoon relief person at a child care center. Long story short, I have continued my love of young children and am now and Early Childhood Special Education Teacher... Fire Stations need someone to sweep up, animal shelters need someone to scoop up the poo, feed the animals and walk them...what is his interest?

southerngirl 7 years, 11 months ago

There a quite a few events here in Memphis as the National Civil Rights Museum is located at the old Lorraine Motel downtown, but alas, it is POURING rain here (our backyard is a swimming pool and our koi pond is literally overflowing!) so I am voting to stay at home, rest, relax and recharge for the coming week. No offense to MLK...

sgtwolverine 7 years, 11 months ago

We here in Michigan got the ice storm you all sent. Thanks a lot.

Although it's a bit of an odd ice storm. Everything above the ground is covered in ice, but the ground itself isn't frozen. The puddles are still just water. But I'm still not taking any chances.

StirrrThePot 7 years, 11 months ago

"There a quite a few events here in Memphis as the National Civil Rights Museum is located at the old Lorraine Motel downtown"

I have been there--it was a moving experience. Kind of eerie to stand in the place where he was gunned down. Oddly enough, it was raining the day I visited too.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

Um...try not to slip on the ice so the Emergency workers will not have to get out?

I'll offer to blade the neighbor's drive today. Any takers? :P

lunacydetector 7 years, 11 months ago

glad to know who the state workers are that post on here throughout the day during the week.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

In my defense I'm not really a state worker, but affiliated with it. My day off doesn't come out of your pocket, and I don't begrudge the ones that are state workers posting on here. I won't judge them, nor should you.

Bone777 7 years, 11 months ago

Run like hell and duck for cover.....

Then I will sit and reflect on how fortunate we are to still have the honorable:

Rev. Jesse Jackson Rev. Al Sharpton Marion Barry etc., etc., etc...........

carrying the torch for civil rights.

Thanks

beatrice 7 years, 11 months ago

I am not surprised to see people here confusing the civil rights movement with the shortcomings of individuals. Argue against the cause, and you expose yourself as being against human decency. Civil rights is about equality for all people against laws meant to provide for the priviledged few. The civil rights movement was a rallying cry for liberals that was opposed by social conservatives. Liberals not only talked the talk but walked the walk in the face of anger, fear and hatred. Conservatives tried to use force to stop them, liberals emphasized peace. Liberalism won.

Today, as on most days, I proudly stand up for liberal causes and the ideals of a richly diverse society. The bigger the umbrella we hoist to protect us all, the better. I thank Martin Luther King, Jr., for making this world a better place. Peace

BunE 7 years, 11 months ago

Bea, well stated and bravo. Here in america, we have no shortage of small people that are willing to point out the weaknesses of great people no doubt jealous that their own dreams of standing out have been dashed against the rocks of reality.

We should be greatful that a man, or a woman for that matter, is shown to be weak at times. It makes their actions, the things that made them great, that much more impressive. Cast that first stone kids, cast that stone.

Bone777 7 years, 11 months ago

BunE - if "that a man, or a woman for that matter, is shown to be weak at times. It makes their actions, the things that made them great, that much more impressive."

I am primed to look really impressive, as soon as I do something great.....