Previous   Next

Did you have any trouble getting your financial aid?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on January 14, 2007

Browse the archives

“I got the money I needed eventually, but I had to work with the financial aid office a lot to get the amount I wanted.”

“Not too much. The FAFSA forms were simple enough. I took out more than I wanted to, but the KU Endowment really helps if you’re in a pinch.”

“No, it was fine. I’m out of state and almost everything was paid for. I didn’t take out enough at the beginning, but I got an endowment loan towards the end of the semester.”

“I did at the beginning of the fall semester. I got accepted to pharmacy school, but they didn’t consider me a graduate student, so I had to pay for those classes without the loan.”

Comments

Azure_Attitude 7 years, 3 months ago

Well, yeah. I was told that if I couldn't pass math I couldn't get any more aid. So I thought, well, looks like I'm goin' back to work! My major required the math so it sucks to be me. Satisfactory academic progress requirements and Algebra conspire to keep me bachalaureat free. I must have a mental block in that area because I made the honor roll, criminetly, and everything else are As and a couple of Bs. But at math I fail, Fail, FAIL! I can solve for X - and in any job I have ever had I didn't need any knowledge beyond that and, really, we do have Excel - but to factor polynomails and quadratic equations, blah, blah, blah . . . I'm just stupid about it. I am fortunate to make a decent living without the BA, thank you, Goddess.

vavs0929 7 years, 3 months ago

I had to jump through hoops to get my financial aid. I had to file an appeal--complete with letters from my boss and teachers. Its stupid, because I never got any aid until my senior year because I was paying for it myself. They set my GPA higher (to keep the financial aid) and I was .25 off this last semester. So now I have to pay for it myself. Its crap.

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 3 months ago

Not if you consider working 40 hours a week and taking out loans "trouble" ........'cause that's what I did......and took a full load of classes

juscin3 7 years, 3 months ago

I didn't have any problems. Probably because I didn't go to college. However, I did work for a student loan place and helped people out with their student loans. Alot of them had no idea that there were several options to have their loan deferred.

MyName 7 years, 3 months ago

First of all, the average rates (for a Bachelor's) are ~$20K over 10 years. You can defer or change those rates, but that's not what most people do.

Secondly, I had to take out a loan to pay for college, and I had to work 20+ hours a week at a entry level job in order to pay rent and groceries. And the only reason why it wasn't a minimum wage job was because it was partially funded through federal work-study grants. And I didn't do any studying while I was there.

College is expensive, and honestly I don't see how the government can place any more "emphasis" on working while in college unless they get rid of all Federal finanacial aid. I was taking a pretty challenging major throughout all of that and if I had ended up having to work another 5-10 more hours at that job I probably would have flunked out. Try paying your loans off then.

blessed3x 7 years, 3 months ago

I think more emphasis should be placed on working while in college. $50K in student loans is no way to start a new life and new career. The interest rates for these loans are still insanely low, but why put yourself behind the 8-ball if you don't fully need to? It's nice to know these programs are available, but use them with caution. Fifteen or 20 years is a long time to pay off that loan. Besides, work experience and a proven work ethic most times are going to take you farther than good grades alone.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 3 months ago

The Bush admin has increased interest rates on school loan money. The demo majority will be trying to bring those increases down.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I never had any problems getting my financial aid... although, sometimes I wish I had. Thanks to a couple deferments, I'm still paying on them 11 years later.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 3 months ago

As for the real costs of mideast oil, they could hardly be clearer. Targeted for cutbacks in federal money are virtually all social programs--Medicare and Medicaid, food stamps, housing, job training and child care, education and STUDENT LOANS, environmental protection, public transportation, science research, even veterans' benefits and school funding for children of military personnel.