Previous   Next

Are you for or against casinos in Kansas?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 7, 2007

Browse the archives

“I don’t think I really have a problem with casinos in Kansas. I think they can bring revenue into the state, and I understand there can be a downside but nothing that people don’t do anyway.”

“It’s hard because they bring in so much money and so many benefits. But my concern is the harm that they do to people who get addicted to gambling and thereby harm themselves and others.”

“I’m against them. I just think that gambling is a bad thing, and I don’t think we need it around. That’s just my moral position on the matter.”

“I don’t see any problem with them. People who want to go would go even if it was out of state, and they bring in a lot of money.”

Comments

windrun 7 years, 11 months ago

For my personal, I don't like to play the gambling, but other hands, I am very support with the casino in the state, because state of Kansas really need more money for support the schools and colleges.

I am not agree with the Senators and Houses to vote with another increase property tax. That is not work out the deal, because it will hit our Kansas people's debt budget.

First, my property tax was 1600 dollars a year ago, then it raise up to 2100 dollars due last month and I don't have much money left for christmas shopping! Other hands, I got the paycheck last Friday, it make me so bad, because OASDI added on my paycheck first time in my eight years. They took 105 dollars out of my earning income week. Just think, 105 dollars x 24 paycheck = around $2500 per years.

Second, look at our Kansas people go to Missouri and spend our money to that state. Do State of Kansas get any money from there? NONE! What is about Indian Casino, will they give money to State of Kansas? NONE!

Third, last August, in State of Arkansas people passed the casino vote and will not increase their property tax. They installed the slot machines and grand opening the business after Thanksgiving Day. First 16 days later, the casino give $3.16 millions to the state of Arkansas. Just image that $3.16 millions in first 16 days!

I believe that many Kansas people will painful with debt budget on increase property tax someday.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

Maggie? From the Tanner Phenix? Cool! What a cutie you are!

marion4pres 7 years, 11 months ago

Sorry, this is off-topic. About a year ago was some nasty, yet revealing exchanges about TransMaster Towing service. The Kansas AG was even spurred into investigating them. Well, a friend of mine had her car unexplainably towed and they wanted several hundred dollars for three days of "storage". She's a student, didn't have the money and couldn't pay it. That was several months ago and they still have her car (somewhere) to this day. Does anyone know the status of these weasels?

jonas 7 years, 11 months ago

Why's it gotta be for or against? Black and white, right and wrong. Yada Yoda yada. Can't we just stop all the hatin'?

peaceful co-existence, man. Now hand me that waterpipe tobacco smoking accessory.

Kat Christian 7 years, 11 months ago

Sounds to me Marion there needs to be a class action suit brought upon this towing company. How about calling Better Business Bearu (sp?) or Consumer's Rights - better call the Governor of the State and keep bugging her until action is taken. Good Luck! I hope that never happens to me. They sound really crocked and should be put out of business.

southerngirl 7 years, 11 months ago

I would just like to know exactly where the money will go. Remember how thelottery was sold to Kansas Voters as helping education? Very, very little of it actually goes to education now, it was chipped away with most of it going (I think) to economic development. Lets not let history repeat itself...

Aileen Dingus 7 years, 11 months ago

Absolutely against. I spent my life in and around Nevada, (relatives there, then lived there). I also grew up near Atlantic City and saw what gambling did and did not do for both places.

When gambling comes in, everyone else needs to make room for the 2 ton gorilla. Want to raise taxes so your kids can have better schooling? Don't piss off the gorilla! Want to keep a neighborhood casino free? Can't do it if the gorilla wants it there!

Want a transient, low paid, low skilled work force? The gorilla is ALL for that.

redhead_lovers_girl 7 years, 11 months ago

I live in an area of Kansas where there are several Native American Casinos.
There are some big adavantages - employment and they do bring people to the area....... BUT I used to work at one of them, and watching people come in to the casino, walk to a teller window, cash a paycheck, and then waste it all in hopes that they would double it... it was so hard to watch week after week that it was one of the main reasons I quit working there. I think that it's just like bars or nightclubs -for the people who are able to enjoy them with some level of responsibility it's really no big deal - but those who aren't able to do that, well it's just sad for them.

Aileen Dingus 7 years, 11 months ago

redhead- My husband worked security at a casino for 18 months and there were at least three times I can remember him coming home, completely dejected, having had to put up some poor shmuck for the night who'd lost everything. House, retirement, college funds for kids...

For every Quartermania winner, there's 1000 that go home broke.

HOWEVER- that's not why I object to casinos. See my earlier post for that.

Fishman 7 years, 11 months ago

If you can name one socially redeeming value that comes from people visiting casinos then I might be for them. The problem is sometimes we have to protect ourselves from ourselves. You can't tell me there aren't some crimes committed by people that lose everything at casinos. I am not saying I haven't been a few times, but what I see is not what I would call a good example of how to live.

snoozey 7 years, 11 months ago

I love the idea of casinos, but then again I'm a non-gambling Darwinist :-)

KWCoyote 7 years, 11 months ago

I find casinos boring and don't enjoy throwing money out the window as I don't have the delusion that I'll come out ahead.

However, gambling establishments on reservations are the only business development that rural communities with reservations have. Isn't it pathetic? Firms that want to move production from pricey big cities move them offshore or south of the border, not to low-budget small towns in rural areas. Rural areas have nothing beyond farm support jobs for rural people to do.

While there may be poor schmucks who lose their shirts in a casino, the real schmucks are the voters who can't see what the place of a casino in our society should be---rural economic development in the absence of better-quality jobs. Cities already have those better jobs and don't need casinos.

penguin 7 years, 11 months ago

Ah casinos just a nice way to tax people who are bad at math.

I personally find them boring, but I am sure there are plenty who will love to go...so build them. However, southerngirl is right about the lottery funds only going to Eco Devo instead of K-12 or Higher Ed. This time make sure that money goes to ed or it is will be a bad move.

Meatwad 7 years, 11 months ago

Oh great. More smoky stinky casinos. Booooo.