Previous   Next

Do you think the section of Missouri Street next to the stadium should be renamed to honor Don Fambrough?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 6, 2007

Browse the archives

“If it takes the name Missouri out of Lawrence, then go for it.”

“I really have no preference. If they want to honor someone, there are better ways than naming a street after them.”

“I used to live on Missouri right next to the stadium and I always felt like a traitor living there. Anything to get it changed is all right with me.”

“It’s nice to honor people for their contributions to University. I’m not a big fan of Missouri, so I wouldn’t mind.”

Comments

imastinker 7 years, 11 months ago

who comes up with this stuff? I used to live on Missouri St right near the stadium too, and it never once occured to me. I guess I was too busy studying to think of this stuff.....

sgtwolverine 7 years, 11 months ago

Yes, it should be renamed -- right after Ann Arbor names its new high school after Bo Schembechler.

(The school board refused to consider naming the new school after Schembechler, instead opting for the Skyline High School -- a name that really makes you think of Ann Arbor, doesn't it? Their other option was Northcrest. Are they building a high school or a subdivision?)

canyon_wren 7 years, 11 months ago

I used to live on Missouri Street, and I think it is so ridiculous to suggest the name be changed. There are many other new streets you could name after Fambrough--and many other coaches, etc. who could be recognized that way if it was useful. It's not like Missouri Street stands alone--it is in line with all those other streets with state names. So if Lawrence has some reason to be irritated with another state, do we change the name of THAT street as well? Sounds to me like the kid who thought this up just wants a little attention.

Deb Stavin 7 years, 11 months ago

Maybe someday I can live on Self Street. Then I can pretend the street was renamed in MY honor.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

How about Missouri-Fambrough Lane? Just the last block before the stadium?

I think it would be fun because he would be protecting us from Missouri...

tyson travis 7 years, 11 months ago

Not to minimize Coach Fam's numerous contributions to KU, but I think dropping the "Missouri" in conflict with Lawrence's historic street grid is juvenile. I enjoy beating Missouri as much as the next guy, but they are, after all, our neighbors, and it's time to bury all this civil war hostility along with the rebel flags and stuff. I cheer for Missouri and K-State anytime they're NOT playing KU. As an alternative suggestion, instead of inconveniencing all the residents on a three-block section of Missouri far removed from the stadium, why not rename the several-block section of West 11th from where it's interrupted at Mississippi that goes right past the bowl and up the hill in honor of coach Fam? I'll bet not too many addresses would have to be changed, and it would be more visible to game attendees as it would go right past the north bowl. You could change the name back to 11th as soon as it gets to West Campus, or whenever the 11th St designation ends. Missouri St is at least a block west of the stadium anyway. It's been Missouri St. longer than 11th Street was changed from Quincy in what? 1914, I think. Ty Travis, Pine Bluff, Ark, KU '67

PotSmokinRepublican 7 years, 11 months ago

I would work on getting a football program before we go off showboatin' with this crazy idea.

jonas 7 years, 11 months ago

Can we change the name of the street AND THE STATE? Then I might support this measure.

I hear they have cheaper gas over yonder in Tom Fambraugh.

Purell 7 years, 11 months ago

Bad idea. Name a new street after him, but don't screw up the street names! It makes us look petty and stupid. Of all the people who shold know that, David Lawrence should.

Come on, act like you're bigger than this. Are you really that threatened by Missouri?

Please don't bring this up again.

Kat Christian 7 years, 11 months ago

Sure why not. We already have a Missouri street so one is enough. I think at least one of the other streets named the same and divided by another property should be named changed to avoid confusion. How many times have you looked for a street only to find the same name across town or on the other side of a building or nearer location? Change them all to honor someone who has contributed to our community & town.

moralebooster 7 years, 11 months ago

Some valid points have been made:

Honor a coach with a LOSING record? Really, why?

I wouldn't even support Gayle Sayers Street, because the street already has a name. Get over it.

Name a new street after him. We're not that threatened are we?

It is embarrassing to have different names for the same streets. Explain it to those trying to find an address.

PS: Change Billings back to 15th!

BorderRat 7 years, 11 months ago

Name one for his wife. She was a better English Teacher at LHS than he was a Coach at KU.

Shelby 7 years, 11 months ago

Might as well name a street after Al Bohl.

Seriously. Fambrough "did a lot for the program?"

Honoring some coach with a LOSING record is tantamount to admitting we suck, and hard. Is K-State about to honor Jim Wooldridge because he was a nice guy? No. The man was a blight on an already sh!tty program.

T_F 7 years, 11 months ago

I think it is a good idea, or at least a better idea than renaming 15th st. Yeah Fam had a losing record, but that isn't a good measure of what he has done for the football program.

I don't think it will happen though. Maybe if he had a lot of money and hob nobbed with the who's who of lawrence they would, but alas he is no bob billings.

Outsidelookingin 7 years, 11 months ago

Since Missouri street was there before the stadium was built.....Shouldn't they just build a new stadium. Maybe out by the wetlands. Then, when the SLT is finally finished, there would be easy access to the stadium with no over passes for the K-State fans to drive under.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

Coach Fambrough is a wonderful man. Ask the players he coached - he was truly inspirational to them and continues to be.

Make it a point to meet him, then form your opinions.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 11 months ago

Sure name a street after him, but not rename Missouri street. Put it on one of those streets they'll build in the "fingler-like" develpment areas. Then name a street after Gayle Sayers too. Hell Yeah!! He is a helluva nice guy and great athlete! And name the whole subdivision after past KU athletes and coaches: Chamberlain, Willams, Riggins, Pierce, some lady hawks, etc. And give one to Stallworth, who shoud get one just for being cool. A couple of drawbacks: 1. It's going to attract jock heads to the develpment, including the a-hole ones (wait, then they will all be concentrated in one area and those who wish to can avoid. Ooh, a plus!); and, 2. All the houses will likely have red and blue light on them at the holidays which is redundant and boring.

Chicago_JHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

"How many times have you looked for a street only to find the same name across town"

Never. Just because a street may be interrupted in some areas, generally the street number is a REAL good indication of where you need to be.

Chicago_JHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Lets not confuse the issue byt hinking that this has been suggested because Kansans feel superior to Missourians as a whole (thought they are) - its simply about a sports rivalry, not the historical implications of free state vs. slave state, Quantril, etc.

I could come up with several more deserving KU sports figures than Fambrough, though. Like he's the only guy who hates Mizzou? I hate them too, and my coaching record at Kansas isn't a losing record, so maybe even I'm more deserving?

beatrice 7 years, 11 months ago

So I guess the days are numbered then for Bucknell Street, Bradley Avenue, and Syracuse Way.

mikeisthename 7 years, 11 months ago

Even if that part of Missouri Street is changed to Fambrough Street (or Way, Drive, or even Parkway), people are still going think of it as 9th and Missouri or 11th and Missouri. Kind of the Bob Billings Parkway/15th Street thing. I never call it Billings, it is always 15th street. Put simply (if this passes) the more things change the more they stay the same. Thanks.

Tychoman 7 years, 11 months ago

Keep it at Missouri because of its historic significance with Lawrence and state-named streets and change Billings back to 15th. I feel like an idiot when I have to explain to visitors that they're the same street.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 11 months ago

Damn, Bea! Great job!

Don't forget Oral Roberts Bar and Grille.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

No. Just name a roundabout after him.

ARGH! Chiefs!

RI, done already? I said you could have them for 16 days. I've got more @ home I didn't have time to get. No deep vein trombosis...or whatever you said. Stretched lots.

sgt, diging my gear. :) gotta get back to work. ;)

kansaskate 7 years, 11 months ago

Missour rocks. You can buy liquor in grocery stores. This is the dumbest idea I've heard. Not the liquor, but the name change. Sheesh.

kansaskate 7 years, 11 months ago

Also, Devon, don't you go to college in Missouri??

otislivingston 7 years, 11 months ago

If the comments on this article were presented in front of the Kansas Legislature they would have no choice than to accept and promote the teaching of evolution.

Ceallach 7 years, 11 months ago

morale and tycho beat me to it! I'm still fuming about Billings Drive, so my answer is no, no I do not think they should change it.

youngitized 7 years, 11 months ago

Rename the entire street. Get every piece of Missouri out of Lawrence.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 11 months ago

don't change it! especially don't change part of it, like poor ol' 15th st.

now, if this goes through, I'm a humble gnome, I'd just like one block named "Bearded Gnome way," the curvy stretch of CT from 15th to 14th st. that's all.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 11 months ago

good evening good lady Ceallach, and good lady Sunflower-sue!

thunderbuns 7 years, 11 months ago

23-8. 'Nuff said.

BWABWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Ceallach 7 years, 11 months ago

gnome, you rascal, that the best part of CT :)

Dayna Lee 7 years, 11 months ago

What is with naming streets by using full names? I want to know who names the streets and what I need to do to get that job. If someone is so unimportant that they need to be refered to with first and last name, they are not that important, plain and simple!!!!! I love that the people of Lawrence have laid out the town in a way that is easy for students and everyone really to find their way around and just because you know where your house is, you want to mess with the map!!!!!!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

Howdy Gnome! Good to hear from you!

RI, but you would need a key for the locked cabinets that they are in!

Brent Atwater 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm in the minority here but have any of you saying "NO" to renaming Missouri or naming a road after Fambrough ever met the man? I'm guessing not. So I'm for either renaming Missouri St. or one of the streets next to the Stadium for him. I for one would be proud to live on Fambrough Drive. Better yet let's change the sign for Missouri to be the black and gold with the MU logo...really people this is Lawrence and it's still the Border War!!!