Previous   Next

Do you have a New Year’s resolution?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 1, 2007

Browse the archives

“My New Year’s resolution is to do more yoga. My goal is to do it every day, but I’ll settle for just doing it more often. And I want to clip both of my dogs’ toenails more often.”

“I stopped trying to do that a long time ago. I’m a notorious recidivist. I’ve only kept one ever, and that was in 1995 when I resolved not to eat at McDonald’s.”

“My New Year’s resolution is to be more aloof and appealing.”

“To meet Miss Wonderful.”

Comments

classclown 7 years, 11 months ago

I resolve to stop procrastinating starting tomorrow.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 11 months ago

I used to make new year's resolutions, and then was extremely frustrated with myself when I never followed through.

So now I don't make them. No more frustration!

Besides, if you really want to make a big change in your life, why wait until new year's to do it??

Bone777 7 years, 11 months ago

I resolve to feel better by tomorrow and rehydrate during the day........

mr_daniels 7 years, 11 months ago

I resolve to believe everything printed in the NYT...everything! No questions asked whatsoever!

JayCat_67 7 years, 11 months ago

I resolve to not really care about the New Year, since it's really only an arbitrary number change.

Well, another successful year. D@mn I'm good!

Later Friends!

canyon_wren 7 years, 11 months ago

I make New Year's goals, rather than resolutions, as I don't feel quite as guilty if I don't accomplish certain goals as I do if I "break resolutions." It gives me something to work toward. Of course, I am a list-maker by nature, so I look forward to projecting in that way, but there are some things that are just carried over into the new year. I find starting again to be satisfying!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

I like CeCe's answer: "I'm going to be more aloof..." and I'll start by having my name and photo put in the paper...

seventh!

Go CHIEFS! (all the stars aligned yesterday and the ducks lined up in a row...) Just waiting for He!! to freeze over,now.

budwhysir 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, politicaly speaking I have everyone beat. My resolution is to stop making resolutions. I have determined this may be the starting point of my political frustrations that last thru out the year.

Think about it, why start the year with something you know you dont realy want to do.

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

canyon wren - I will second your post. Goals is a much better idea. Well, that said, I suppose my goal ought to be to get more exercise. What with OTS, and reading all my books, I mostly just loll around. Not good. So my goal is to get moving. Did you all have a happy celebration last night. My family and I went to a lovely Ukrainian restaurant and had a very good 3 course meal. I had Black caviar on potato pancake, Giant Sea Scallop and Napolean for dessert. Watched the fire works at 12am from my front window. (our house is on the riverbank high above the city) R-I how was the party? Did our sunny sue behave herself? Come on, RI tell all. :o)

canyon_wren 7 years, 11 months ago

I guess if I really HAD a resolution, it would be what I have been trying to do the past couple of years. I am 68 and am aware that, with good luck, I might have as many as 15-20 years left, and realizing how quickly the past 15 have gone, I am really making an effort to appreciate every single day.

We had a great party last night--there were seven of us and we played Mexican Train (but with weird rules that we have never played before) and then poker till about 2 a.m., with time out at midnight to go outside, shoot off some fireworks and blow horns, etc. Didn't get around to some of the good other games we wanted to play, so will get together tonight for black-eyed peas and more games. Now I have to clean up the mess left from our debauchery--balloons and serpentine, empty glasses, etc. look kind of dreary this morning! Good thing I like to put things in order. Then on to dismantling the Christmas tree. Since I still use the old foil icicles and save them from year to year, that's a tedious job, but easier than putting them on, as no heavy decisions about where to put them have to be made.

Happy New Year to all the posters who are hanging in here today!

beatrice 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm with you cactus-wren -- Goals, not resolutions, is certainly the key to achieving a desired outcome. It sounds like you have a great attitude going into the new year, one we could all learn from.

sun-sue, on behalf of the Steelers who yesterday knocked the Bengals out of the playoffs, you are welcome. Since the Steelers are now out of it, I do hope the Chiefs can go all the way.

Mr. Daniels -- it is never a good idea to believe without question everything coming from any single news source, be it the New York Times ... or Fox News.

thunderbuns 7 years, 11 months ago

Mr. Daniels: That's my resolution too! The NYT is my bible! Totally unbias!

Though the longer I read LGF I'm beginning to wonder....

Bea: Yeah! Chiefs will go all the way!

To Indianapolis.

To get their collective heads handed to 'em.

Sorry about that Chief.

H_Lecter 7 years, 11 months ago

To keep scissors next to the running shoes.

To roll the windows down, drive faster, close my eyes, and smell the bugs.

To go to both Canada and Mexico and then sneak back into the US.

Invite Tom Lehrer to perform at the Lied .

bearded_gnome 7 years, 11 months ago

No, no resolutions here. I already live each day with as much in it as possible and find enjoyment in small things.
a few years ago, I very nearly died a slow death, and am better because of my disciplin. exercise every day.

notice the OTS answer: dogs' toenails. a rather strange resolution. hope her dogs are properly cared for anyway. Gnomedog is an important part of my daily life and he helps me exercise. I am grateful for him every day, as well as my loving wife.

happy new year all ya'!

redhead_lovers_girl 7 years, 11 months ago

I also have "goals" more so than resolutions, this year my goals all involve my family: Spending more "family time" and less time running and on the go..... Daily Bible Study with my husband and daughter...Also we are in hopes to add to our family through adoption - keep us in your prayers!

Happy 2007 all!!

classclown 7 years, 11 months ago

This year, I resolve to...

• Gain weight. At least 30 pounds.

• Stop exercising. Waste of time.

• Read less. Makes you think.

• Watch more TV. I've been missing some good stuff.

• Procrastinate more. Starting tomorrow.

• Spend more time at work, surfing with the T1.

• Take a vacation to someplace important: like, to see the largest ball of twine.

• Not jump off a cliff just because everyone else did.

• Stop bringing lunch from home: I should eat out more.

• Not have eight children at once.

• Get in a whole NEW rut!

• Start being superstitious.

• Personal goal: bring back disco.

• Not bet against the Minnesota Vikings.

• Buy an '83 Eldorado and invest in a really loud stereo system.

• Get the windows tinted. Buy some fur for the dash.

• Speak in a monotone voice and only use monosyllabic words.

• Only wear jeans that are 2 sizes too small and use a chain or rope for a belt.

• Spend my summer vacation in Cyberspace.

• Create loose ends.

• Get more toys.

• Get further in debt.

• Not believe politicians.

• Not drive a motorized vehicle across thin ice.

• Avoid transmission of inter-species diseases.

• Avoid airplanes that spontaneously drop 1000 feet.

• Stay off the International Space Station.

• Not swim with pirhanas or sharks.

• Associate with even worse business clients.

• Spread out priorities beyond my ability to keep track of them.

• Wait around for opportunity.

• Focus on the faults of others.

• Mope about my faults.

• Never make New Year's resolutions again.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 11 months ago

you'll be a busy boy classclown! one I doubt you'll keep: to stay off the international space station. thought you were going to do some product endorsement of ink pens in weightlessness type video. the low-grav of the space station might suit you with your extra tonnage and rope belt. you'd set some kinda space record.

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

I resolve to allow more levity into my days. So here to begin that resolve is some lighthearted items for our Edmonton Journal of yesterday. Headline - Best of the Piddlling and Picayune for 2006. Researchers find that antelope and deer never played together. Columnist Dave Barry

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it. W.C. Fields.

It's a dog eat dog world, and I am wearing Milk Bone underwear. Barfly Norm Peterson.

Have a good one.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 11 months ago

Ms_C, thousands of Kansans are now distressed because you just taught us that our state anthem has been a lie...all a big lie! sobs

p.s. I now have my official "food snob" T-shirt! ('course, I have to stop eating food if I ever hope to fit into it.):)

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

Hey guys, what can I do to redeem myself. I swear I did not know that it was your state anthem. I was just trying to add a bit of levity. Tomorrow I will check out what levity I send your way before I send it.
Please, am I forgiven. I plead ignorance. :o( :o( sheer ignorance.

I_Bejewel 7 years, 11 months ago

I resolve to get to the OTS boards much sooner this year. Besides that, I'm going to just keep doing what I've been doing (I fear change).

happyone 7 years, 11 months ago

You're forgiven Ms. C :) I never thought they played together no matter what the song said

ms_canada 7 years, 11 months ago

When I hear a diparaging remark directed my way, i just consider the source and usually ignore it. You are just a jerk, so....................... ignoreignoreignoreignoreignore