Previous   Next

Do you take any dietary supplements?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 28, 2007

Browse the archives

“I try to take a multivitamin, lots of E, folic acid and B-12 complex when I can, but that’s about it.”

“I take fish oil. It helps with circulation, reduces the inflammation in my injured knee and the Omega-3 is good for your heart.”

“No. I guess I’m just not that worried about it. I’m sure you need some of them, but I think a lot of the time they’re just trying to sell more pills.”

“No. I buy them, but then I always forget to take them.”

Comments

Crossfire 8 years, 3 months ago

Is coffee a supplement? Then yes. Yes. Yes... Is it done yet. Ok... Gotta go. Ok.. Bye. Did I say yes? Ok...bye now.

justsomewench 8 years, 3 months ago

yes, a real malatov cocktail of e's and b'c (3 and 12) and c's and zinc and fish oil and a multi- and probably others that i'm too bleary-eyed and sleepy to read the labels of.

no wonder why i'm queasy in the mornings.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

Michelle must have a lot of supplements now!

I take chocolate.

StacieDoeren 8 years, 3 months ago

I love taking those calcium vita-chew thingys in the purple box.

trinity 8 years, 3 months ago

yes i do! i take a women's multi vitamin&a calcium pill along with a lil' baby aspirin, 81 mg. all store brand.

then i launch in to my caffiene mode-katie bar the door! ;)

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 3 months ago

I take a mulitvitamin, nitric oxide, kre-alkalyn, amino acids and Novedex every day.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 3 months ago

Damn, TOB is going neanderthal on us with the growth hormone!!

Yup, I take Omega-3, A-Z multi-vitamin, extra C, biotin, and top it off with Estrovent to keep me hot flash and mustache free. The my own personal Tahiti business is not my cup o'tea.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

Hey Kam_Fong, did you know Hawaii Five-0 season 1 is coming out on DVD next Tuesday?

concernedparent 8 years, 3 months ago

You know if you take the cheap fish oil pills you really start to smell like fish? True story. It happened to my sister and could have been the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 3 months ago

oh yeah. I take a liquid vitamin from the Merc called "Complete" something, and it has everything you could possibly need in one magical capful! Then I take omega 3-6-9 fish oils. I should take extra calcium and iron, but since "Complete" has everything, I don't!

Oh, and popcorn for digestion.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

Py, supplements may be good for the skin and the hair, but chocolate is good for everyone around you. I find that to be a greater benefit.

Kat Christian 8 years, 3 months ago

who has time to supplement? I barely have time to eat a balanced nutritious meal. But I do take vitamins when I have time and have food in my stomach - otherwise they make me sick.
I think to remedy this I vote fewer work hours (6 hrs) so people have more time to spend with family and self-care. And that's all I have to say about that.

Bone777 8 years, 3 months ago

Py, I have found that supplement to be very good for the skin of my own hand.

My wife refuses, also.

Bone777 8 years, 3 months ago

Enzyte and saltpeter.

It helps keep me regular.

hawklet21 8 years, 3 months ago

ohhhh no trinity is whippin' out the womyn's vitamins again. RUN!!!!

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 3 months ago

Sgtwolverine, Thanks for the heads up regarding the Hawaii Five-0 dvd release. That show is my guilty pleasure. Fun fact: in the mid 1980's there was a punk band called "Jack Lord's Hair".

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

Heh. Py, I wouldn't say innocent. Probably not the best description. Let's just say I don't always let my mind wander in certain directions. Initially, anyway. It keeps me sane.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

Kam, it's one of my favorite old shows, so I was happy to learn of the DVD release. I don't have to suffer through VHS tapes with lousy picture and sound anymore. Well, for season 1, anyway. We'll see how many they release.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

We have "pass the pills" at breakfast every morning. My hubby is the instigator...or the supplier. Everyone actually has their own bottle (w/ names written in Sharpie) as to their individual needs. It's sick, I tell you! Sick!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

sgt, I don't know which is more disturbing, the fact that you watch Hawaii Five-O, or Py's Protein shake. :$

Linda Aikins 8 years, 3 months ago

And, Py, you won't have to make it a roast beef sandwich afterwards, either! ;)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Py, I've not had espresso escape. Have I been missing out? A good friend of mine, knowing that I LOVE dark chocolate and my hubby does not, gave him a 5 lb. dark chocolate bar for his birthday. (That's a good friend.)

trinity 8 years, 3 months ago

hah, hawklet! go take your flintstones chewable&have a nap! ;)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

Sue, if my watching a 1960s/1970s tv show is that disturbing to you ... well, I might have to start worrying about you.

acg 8 years, 3 months ago

Sgt, don't feel bad about your Hawaii Five-O guilty pleasure. We all have them. I can't believe I'm about to admit this, but I'm a huge fan of the Dukes of Hazzard and watch it whenever I can.

YEEEHAAAWWW!!

I absolutely loved Roscoe P. Coaltrain and once saw a really crappy garage country band with that name play in a bar in Louisiana. Yes, we were simple folk in the south. :)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

acg, I don't feel bad about it. But...uh...it doesn't stop there. Most of my favorite tv shows are from the 80s or earlier. MacGyver, the A-Team, Remington Steele, Knightrider, Magnum P.I., Bob Newhart...

Yeah, I'm weird like that.

Flap Doodle 8 years, 3 months ago

Five-O had the coolest opening sequence of any TV show.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Sgt, I am definitely one to be worried about! I'll never admit that I watched Hawaii Five-O or the Dukes of Hazzard (Bo was the cutest and I loved that Basset hound...was his name Flash?). I also won't admit that I watched Charlie's Angels (I getta play Jill). What was that show with the EMT's? Opening sequence was an ambulance siren? Yeah, I didn't watch that either. I also never wore bell bottoms, white go-go boots, or gouchos. (Excuse me while I go through my old photos. I have a few things I need to burn.) ;)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

RI, I caught my eldest watching "Green Acres" the other day. Couldn't believe it was on. I wanted that theme song to be played at my wedding but the hubby hadn't fully developed his sense of humor at the time. (Maybe he'll let me play it at our 50th?)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Emergency! That was it! Some cute guy in that one, too. (Sorry, I was high on hormones at the time.)

schula 8 years, 3 months ago

Johnny was the cute EMT on Emergency! Wonder when that is going to come out on DVD -- anyone know?

Flap Doodle 8 years, 3 months ago

Didn't the guys from Adam-12 do a crossover with Emergency one time?

ohjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

Emergency was an awesome show! I watched that when I was a young 'un. That and Adam-12. I wanted to be either a fireman or a policeman when I grew up depending on what day it was.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

snap - Yes, they did. And as another interesting note, Jack Webb created both shows.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Py, I make a mean "Excessively Expressive Espresso Ecstasy" chocolate cake. 4 layers with espresso mousse and ganache between, slathered with ganache and then hazelnuts, mini choc chips, and crushed espresso beans pushed into the sides. Most people think it's just too rich but I'm sending you a virtual slab because I think you would like it. (:> (those are choc. covered espresso beans on top.) Enjoy!

Flap Doodle 8 years, 3 months ago

& Jack Webb's ex-wife was Julie London (Nurse McCall on Emergency).

yankeelady 8 years, 3 months ago

All the weather we have to offer in 12 hrs---sigh, I could sure do without the cold & snow. The supplemental irish coffee can only do so much.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

wow, RI! I went through a depression just reading that!

bevy 8 years, 3 months ago

Sue - Was it a tropical depression? Hope you at least got a decent tan.

I agree with whoever said Hawaii 5-0 had the best opening sequence EVER. We used to play it in band and the drummers loved that opening. 'Course the trumpets got all the best parts.

My middle daughter went through a "Dukes of Hazzard" stage about a year ago (now she's into vampires and zombies) so she has 2 or 3 seasons on DVD> Yee Haw!
It may have been corny, but the boys were HOT and it was a good clean family show. Hard to find these days.

As to the question, I take so many pills right now that I can't seem to stomach a supplement. I supplement my diet with VEGGIES (and chocolate, which comes from a bean, so technically it is a veggie too.)

jonas 8 years, 3 months ago

I don't know if I can say this for sure, but that's got to be one of, if not the best games I've ever freak'n seen. And the right team won!!!

sissezz 8 years, 3 months ago

mmmmmm supplements lets see, flax-seed, corti-trim, hoodia, and flinstones!! i get full off all the pills!

trinity 8 years, 3 months ago

i think katie needs a hit off the bong! she's about to wig completely out!

richmond-sirens have gone off twice. sounds like it's pretty much north&east of us, tho.

trinity 8 years, 3 months ago

make that richmond ks dahlings...i need a drink, brb!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Py, I'll send you the recipe, but it's a long one so it will take some time. The cake itself is made over 2 days!

I saw the gorgeous clouds. I actually stopped my car (country road) to get out and click off a couple shots w/ the little camera I carry in my purse. (It's my version of conceal carry.)

jonas 8 years, 3 months ago

Man, is anyone else watching the Texas/TA&M game? Amazing. I think I'd put money on one of them winning.

H_Lecter 8 years, 3 months ago

It will be one tough game against Texas for us this Sat. at noon.