Previous   Next

What would you like to give up?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 21, 2007

Browse the archives

“If I was to give up something, I suppose it would be chocolate because it’s supposed to be something that means a lot.”

“All of my vices. It would take too long to list them off.”

“I would give up smoking because I can’t give up drinking beer.”

“I would try to give up snacking. It’s a bad habit of mine. I find that I snack out of boredom when I’m not really hungry, so it’s kind of a greedy habit.”

Comments

irishblues 7 years, 8 months ago

I used to give up watermelon, til my kids figured out I don't like watermelon. Gave up sex one year and got rid of a stupid boyfriend. Gave up sex one year since I DIDN'T have a boyfriend. Gave up sex a couple of years in fear of the AIDs epidemic. Then there was the year I gave up chocolate in any form. THAT was bad...worse than anything, even the aforementioned.

this year it's cookies and donuts. I'm almost a nun anyway...

trinity 7 years, 8 months ago

my new year's resolution. i give up, can't do it! ;)

this is gonna be a goooood day on the ots, i can just feel it!

Sen_Fudgepack 7 years, 8 months ago

I love how quitters call other people quitters in order to not be looked upon as quitters themselves. Or some quitter thing like that. Quitter people.

Sorry... Had to get that out of the way before someone else did...

paladin 7 years, 8 months ago

All the ...isms. I would give up Catholicism and become a Buddhist monk, but Buddhism is an ism so I can't. I would give up liberalism and become a conservative, but there's an ism involved with that. Americanism, communism, consumerism, pacifism, populism, entrepenuerism, its all the same. I give up!

Topside 7 years, 8 months ago

Women, but it'll never happen.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

Give it up for the BIG! OTS!

Angus and Danielle have pretty much the best OTS answers ever. Total honesty.

Also, I love the question with absolutely no context.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 8 months ago

I can't give up any food. I already just live on oxygen.
Maybe I could give up my bubble tent one night a week.

R_I, doesn't matter the occasion - never give up on ABBA. It would cause you to spontaneously shave your head and get lips tattoos on your neck.

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 8 months ago

Missouri Tigers.

Well, I don't really claim them at all. But, I'd still love to see them go.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 8 months ago

I thought Jesus didn't see his shadow when he rose up out of the ground a couple of weeks ago?So we have Six more weeks of lent?

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

I will give up using my cellphone to order Girl Scout cookies whilst driving a fruitcake around traffic-calming devices.

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

paladin: I don't know about the rest, but you could still go to India, China or Japan and become a Buddhist monk, because the -ism only exists in the English translation.

Me, I would just give up lent, like I'd give up new years resolutions. Except. . . I already have.

paladin 7 years, 8 months ago

Despotism, elitism, optimism, sexism and terrorism. Feminism, botulism, activism, altruism, cubism, voyeurism, racism, Mormonism, pacifism, Bushism. Oh well.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

Paladin, was your isms comment a Barbershop reference? If it wasn't, it should have been.

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm going to give up giving up things. I'm really terrible at giving up, so why try? (Although, I did celebrate the beginning of Lent by giving up a Pecan Cluster Blizzard last night and opting for one of the new Waffle Sundaes at DQ -- as my fat Tuesday indulgence :)

paladin 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm not English, so I guess I better get on over there and be a monk. Don't speak those languages, but I think monasticism involves keeping quiet about stuff. I should go.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

Never give up -- never surrender!

I guess I have movies on the brain today.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 8 months ago

I am pretty good with where I'm at right now. Don't really "like" to give up anything.

Since I'm not Catholic it's not that hard, although it probably wouldn't be if I WAS Catholic either....

RonBurgandy 7 years, 8 months ago

I am just assuming this questions has to deal with lent, but I know what happens when you assume...

Linda Aikins 7 years, 8 months ago

TOB and SGT both said "surrender" at about the same time. Charge up your credit cards, friends. The world is about to end!

Fudgepack, you beat us to the punch! Congratulations!

acg 7 years, 8 months ago

I refuse to give anything up. Dammit, age and responsibility have just about pounded all of the vices out of me. Now, I only have a few good ones left and I'm holding on to them for dear life.

So, crazy a.m. story, I was at the K. Shop in North Topeka this a.m., about half hour ago, getting my morning caffeine fix and there were four cops out in the parking lot trying to reason with a north Topeka nutjob who comes to the K. Shop quite often and raves at anyone who will listen to her. So, newhooo, they're outside, trying to get her to shut up and go away and I was inside getting coffee and when I came out, at that point, they were trying to get her into the back of one of the police cars and she was flailing her arms and screaming. She made eye contact with me as I came out of the store and she yelled "CALL SOMEONE! THEY'RE TAKING ME TO THE STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION!!". WTF? I didn't know whether to laugh at the absurdity of it, be sad for her that she's crazy or be a little paranoid that maybe she's not crazy and there's something to her raving and we should all be wary of the BOE. I really need to get more sleep.

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

I am going to give up my addiction to the Big OTS! board.

... oh drats, it appears I've already broken my commitement.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

Ron, it goes beyond Catholic churches. I think a lot of liturgical churches (Lutheran, Episcopalian) encourage the observation of Lent. Others do, too, but not that often.

I, like pretty much everyone else, assumed the question referenced Lent. But in retrospect, it may just be LJW's polite way of committing a robbery: instead of "Give me your money," it's "What would you like to give up?"

Crossfire 7 years, 8 months ago

Hold on, never give up, never give in

Flap Doodle 7 years, 8 months ago

acg, you should call the state board of education. The fate of nations could be hanging by a thread.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 8 months ago

acg, pretty much like how I remember Topeka. Fun story!

Any bets as to whether or not acg's post will bring up creation vs. evolution today?

sourpuss 7 years, 8 months ago

Traditionally, it is easy to give stuff up for Lent because it is the lean season... end of winter, food stuffs running low, new crops aren't the ground yet, and you've probably eaten all of the tasty stuff leaving lots of potatoes and onions to "enjoy."

As a kid, I was supposed to give up stuff for Lent, and it was usually candy/chocolate. One year, I tried to give up my chores, but mom said that didn't count since I didn't enjoy them. I tried. Not giving up anything this year, but I can't afford any vices anyway.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

Arrr. I still need a proofreader.

I meant that the observation of Lent among other Christian denominations is less common. Only a few such churches acknowledge it; it's typically more of an individual thing. So, for instance, most Baptist churches typically don't bring it up, but some Baptist people observe Lent.

I_dew 7 years, 8 months ago

As long as the ladies keep on givin it up, I'll be happy.

ksmom 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm going to give up trying to give up something.

Sen_Fudgepack 7 years, 8 months ago

I want to give up on pessimism... But that will never happen...

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

Well, in that spirit...

I want to give up on optimism, but I really think I can make it work.

Bone777 7 years, 8 months ago

I would give up sleeping.

With an extra 7 hours of time I would have an extra five hours for television and two hours for surfing the net.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 8 months ago

How about if we all give up nutty religious belief and faith as well as making stupid statements about faux sacrifice?

Bone777 7 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if "Angus House, cook" , is a vegetarian.

Jersey_Girl 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm with RETICENT_IRREVERENT. I'm giving up abstinence.

KSChick1 7 years, 8 months ago

do you know why baptists don't make love standing up?

they don't want anyone to think they are dancing...

Signed, a reeformed Baptist (yes, I meant to spell if reef as in reefer)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

TOB, I think your results may vary; there may be a bit of regional difference. Believe me, Baptists vary greatly. In my area, many of the churches that hold to Southern Baptist tenets do not look, sound or feel like serious Southern Baptist churches in the south.

Also, it's my turn to ask for clarification. Are you saying you don't rub ashes and give up something?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

KSChick, I had a Prebysterian pastor tell me that joke. That made it even funnier. He told it this way:

Why are Baptists against premarital sex? Because it might lead to dancing.

Although I do have to be fair: that joke and its accompanying stereotype really doesn't represent all Baptists. Or even a majority anymore, I'd guess.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm giving up asceticism. I can't see how avoiding chocolate for forty days makes a person more spiritually enlightened. It may make them lighter on the bathroom scale however.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 8 months ago

sgt - i retract my comment alluding to an all Catholic-only tradition as, obviously, i have not done much research in differing/similiar religious practices of various religious sects. I do admit I should have realized it is observed by several denominations because I've known non-Catholics that participate, but for some reason, Catholicism stuck in my brain.

TOB - treading on a thin blasphemy line mentioning Klondike Bars and giving up in the same sentence...but when not taken out of context your statement is accepted..

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

I'd give up Klondike bars for a Klondike bar.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

R_I, not all Christian churches that observe Easter observe Lent. Easter is much more universal throughout Christian churches. Easter is very important to my church, but I can't remember my church even really mentioning Lent. Several of my friends have observed Lent, but my church has not.

Ron, there's really no research done on my part. Just my local experience. As TOB demonstrated, it's wise to take my comments with the appropriate grain of salt. Also, it's even better if you attach that grain of salt to a pretzel or potato chip.

And wait, I thought Klondike bars were a holy sacrament.

staff04 7 years, 8 months ago

salad.

and baby fur seal jerky.

Confrontation 7 years, 8 months ago

Does anyone know if I can give up "free will," or has Lawrence already depleted it?

ohjayhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

TOB - Some Methodist churches do actually observe the "laying on of the ashes". However, it is usually an optional part of the service, and most give you a choice of whether you want it on your forehead or the back of your hand.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 8 months ago

I was raised Christian...Disciples of Christ. We were taught of Lent but did not observe it in any way.

I would like to give up cleaning my house and doing laundry. Alas, I don't think it will happen.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 8 months ago

As a former Catholic, I gave up Lent for Lent last year.

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

Who are you and what have you done with the real RI?

H_Lecter 7 years, 8 months ago

My lack of appreciation for the sacrafices that others have made so others wouldn't go hungry

Kontum1972 7 years, 8 months ago

Corn...and hunting with the Vice President

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

Wait, you can give up your lack of something? Well, fine then. I'm going to give up my lack of expendable income!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 8 months ago

I'd LIKE to give up 10 or 15 pounds of ugly fat that has settled onto various parts of my body. I'd do it for a Klondike bar. (No, I will not chop off my head.)

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm giving up religion. I feel I will be much more spiritual without it holding me down.

Bone777 7 years, 8 months ago

sunflower_sue - it's kind of funny, because you try to imagine what people look like on OTS posting.

I know what Sgt. looks like because I've seen his picture on one of his links.

Marion - looks like the pilot from the old 'Airplane' movies.

I always assumed you look like Betty Crocker. I can't imagine that anyone would ask you to cut off you head...

It was funny though,

Linda Aikins 7 years, 8 months ago

TOB, ever been in a Turkish prison?

(love that show)

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

bonesy, she's less like Betty Crocker and more like the first 35 seconds of

:D

sunflower_sue 7 years, 8 months ago

Nice one Ceal! Actually, the only difference I see between me and Cher is a few thousand plastic surgeries and the ownership of "cheekless" leather pants.

Bone, Betty Crocker? giggle I do bake and twice I've had a bun in my oven.

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

"harlot" was only mentioned by you bobby :P

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

ceallach _ I agree, she looks nothing like Betty Crocker more like the lady in red, is that Cher? What would I give up? Well, I sure want to give up my dang gallbladdder. I will soon become addicted to morphine if this dang thing is not removed quickly. Oh and yes, I did give up 8 pounds this past week. Being starved for 36 hours in Emerg. will do that to one.

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

ms_c!!!!!!! Hello!!!!!! Hard way to lose 8 pounds. Hopefully next lenten season you will not still be trying to give up morphine :)

beatrice 7 years, 8 months ago

So sue, instead of leather, are your's made of pleather?

rt, hang in there, buddy, you can do it! And remember, that is 40 days AND nights. (In other words, you won't be allowed to watch FOXNews before heading to bed.) But remember, the key to success is moderation -- don't go out and join a tree-hugging group or anything. Good luck!

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

RI, I still think my offering was a truer depiction of the "essense" of sue. Behind that sunflower smile is a V-A-M-P vamp.

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

Better be careful RI, don't want the folks to find out what a nice guy you really are :) although, the scamp part might be fitting for you too.

promitida 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm giving up depriving myself

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

I admit Cher may have "the gene" but I will never concede that about our sue.

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully soon, M, hopefully soon!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 8 months ago

YDP crack me up!

Ms_C, give it up already!! (The gallbladder, that is.) I'm getting rid of mine at the first sign of it misbehaving. I watched my mom go through what you're going through and it did NOT look like anything I ever wanted to experience. My best well wishes and prayers your way!

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

All y'all have a good night.

Manana

Oh, wait, can I still say that after they pass the bill making English our state language?