Previous   Next

Should a House committee consider a bill that would pre-empt Lawrence from adopting a domestic partner registry?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on February 16, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’m all for the domestic partner registry, but I understand their concern that the city would undermine the policies of the state.”

“Absolutely not. First of all, it’s none of their business, and I think it’s mean-spirited not to allow the law to develop. I can’t see any legitimate reason for the state to get involved.”

“I don’t think so, because I’m in favor of there being a registry here. I think people are entitled to the rights it would provide.”

“They should consider it only because it’s bound to become a statewide issue eventually. I think in the end it should be decided by the state and not by individual cities.”

Comments

jonas 9 years ago

James has a pretty good answer. Mine is that the push against is just as big of a waste of our politico's time as the original registry was in the first place. I'm all for a show of solidarity with the gay community, but if the govt. gets involved it should produce something of value.

I know, I know, govt./produce something of value is kind of a paradox. I can hope, can't I?

Grundoon Luna 9 years ago

Elvis H. Presely! Stop the hate! Live and let live!!!

meadowbreeze 9 years ago

Interesting that when people wish to expand rights to include everyone (not just a privileged group) that there is this uproar. I would ask anyone on the streets if they would be ambivalent or opposed if a company/local government were giving someone health insurance that the state failed to provide? Why have local governments if they can't have local law? Why question the right of other people to live their own lives, especially when it is none-of-your-business?

meadowbreeze 9 years ago

So Jonas ... does value = marriage? If so, fine by me. But are we allowed to say that in Kansas?

busymom 9 years ago

I believe since the ban on same sex marraige is based on religion, that lawrence should recognize and let these people have the rights they are supposed to have anyway. In fact I think the ban in all states it's in should be overturned as it is unconstitutional ie freedom of religion.

jonas 9 years ago

I don't know if marriage should be the end goal. I don't believe that is a reachable one, at this time. To be totally honest, I am of the opinion that the time in which the homosexual community might have aquired some rights to union is passed for the time being. I think there was a chance, before the '04 election, at snagging civil unions as a consolation prize, and then building off that when the world and society did not collapse around our ears as some believe that it would. With the push towards full marriage and full equality, the return push was too hard, and now it's not really very likely. As harsh as it sounds, I think that it's time for the homosexual community to table the issue, or adapt it to make it specifically about property and decision rights.

Topside 9 years ago

Don't people read the Xmen comics. The registry is bad. They just want to round you up do experiments and exploit your superpowers of style and design.

beatrice 9 years ago

"superpowers of style and design" -- great one, Topside!

This is just more of the typical hate coming from the hard right. Those folks won't be happy until everyone conforms to their extremist, fundamentalist standards and becomes as miserable as they are. Ugh.

commonsense 9 years ago

The government is wasting time and money on this issue. I wish people could live their lives without government interference (life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness). How many hours are being burned on this issue. The government's job is to deal with the general public (housing, security, economy, etc.). Didn't we learn anything during the civil rights movement.

cutny 9 years ago

Well, Kansas hasn't been the national laughingstock for...what, about 8 months now? Maybe the legislators missed the attention. Politicizing discrimination is just another waste of their time and our money.

Flap Doodle 9 years ago

I hope everyone has a balanced breakfast in the company of his/her same/different/indeterminate sexed partner.

RonBurgandy 9 years ago

Das - haven't you ever seen these guys before?

In answer to the question...I don't think so.

Grundoon Luna 9 years ago

"People fear what they don't understand." Professor "X"

When TudeDude was about 9 years old, Mississippi Burning was showing on Network TV. He saw the church burning he had an awful look on his face. I said, "the church was burned just because black people worshipped there and the white people were trying to control them." So then he popped off with the above quote. I thought to myself, "wow, they are teaching some really good stuff in school these days!" I asked him if he learned that in school and he says, "No, X-Men!!" What an awesome thing to learn from a comic book series!

Ceallach 9 years ago

Perhaps the only answer to many of our political problems in Lawrence is secession. Lawrence doesn't like Kansas, Kansas doesn't like Lawrence, we just oughta split the blanket and be done with it.

Bobby, did you catch the Friedman interview on FoxNews this morning? I just love that guy, particularly fond of his solution for securing the border roflol!!!

sgtwolverine 9 years ago

I want a domestic Klondike bar registry.

Bone777 9 years ago

Umbrellas- home rules>cities>counties>states>country

You have to operate under the laws of you umbrella.

No city is an island.

acg 9 years ago

This is the funniest thing I've ever seen and totally on topic today. :) You guys enjoy. I know I laughed til I was in pain.

Ceallach 9 years ago

TOB, I refrained from using "hate" because that is too strong. However, I still believe the majority of Lawrencians would rather not be associated with the values (traditional, conservative, right wing, whatever) they associate with the State of Kansas. [A good percent relate more to the east and/or west coasts -- if not to European political philosophies.]

Ceallach 9 years ago

Is he as lovable as a teddy bear or what? You've lived both places, I have never lived in western or southern Kansas, (I doubt that Texas counts :), I've probably just spent too much of my life on Mount Olympus :):) Besides, if we agreed on everything, one of us would be unnecessary :\

Ceallach 9 years ago

RI, so you think TOB mentioned "loose women with questionable morals" as a negative? I assumed that was a positive . . . it's the reason many cowboys go to town, but maybe that's not the case for farmers :)

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Welcome Snap_pop! ;) But I have to know...what happened to the crackle?

Registry...why? What great benefits will come from this?

Ceallach 9 years ago

On a serious note, all y'all please send your good thoughts and prayers to our ms_canada. Our dear lady is having quite trying health problems. Here's hoping for her quick recovery and return to OTS. We haven't be straightened out for quite a while . . . and she's so much more gentle with us than the LJW staff!!

We love you ms_c!! Get well soon!!!

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

I do Kegels! And I've never questioned a moral. My favorite moral is "the greedy dog gets no bone."

girly 9 years ago

If the state already decided against gay marriage, I don't think Lawerence should try to dodge that ruling by setting up a gay registry.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Yes, get well Ms_C. (And enjoy that morphine while you can!)

Flap Doodle 9 years ago

Crackle was holding up the whole act. He was sent off to sell bran muffins in Lower Slobovia.

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Are you suggesting that if we remove every third rice krispie from our bowls...we will stay regular?

Topside 9 years ago

Wow Beatrice you are quite the human labelmaker. Since when did I get on the "Hard Right" registry. Its called a joke you humorless dolt.

If you want to be gay its your buisness. "Not that there's anything wrong with that."- Seinfeld

paladin 9 years ago

What's a domesticated partner? Is that my cat? Do I need to get her registered? Also, a little off the subject, do I use straight vinegar to clean the coffeemaker or do I dilute it? Lost the instructions. Thanks.

guppypunkhead 9 years ago

I would be sort of reluctant to register anyway...

Didn't Hitler's regime get all the Jews to register before they slaughtered them?

Ceallach 9 years ago

RI, originally I meant the superhero but no doubt TOB has a inner teddy bear and is very lovable :)

Ceallach 9 years ago

I prefer to think he was contrite about being contrary and quietly let it go at that.

subliminal message BOB, are you there?

paladin 9 years ago

I used the straight vinegar already. The place reeks of it. Oh well. Hope I didn't throw off the whole order of Things, like the Universe or something. Corfee might taste funny for awhile. Thanks.

Bone777 9 years ago

R_I - I meant literally "No city is a place that you can make your own rules and disregard the rules of the governing bodies that possibly supercede the said laws of the said city."

It just didn't flow as well.

Flap Doodle 9 years ago

sunflower_sue, your cereal remains unchanged. It is the character of "crackle" that has been eliminated. You may want to take masking tape & cover his image on any boxes of rice krispies you may have. It will be better that way.

paladin 9 years ago

I was just wondering if Anna Nicole could make corfee. And if she was registered as a sex offender or whatever. Any you guys happen to know?

Ceallach 9 years ago

Nothing to do with today's question, but I'm tired of today's question :)

Maybe it truly is just one big cosmic game!!

Born February 12, 1809

Abraham Lincoln - dedicated his life to the principle that men were created equal

and

Born February 12, 1809

Charles Darwin - dedicated his life to the principle that man were not created

Ceallach 9 years ago

Py - only if they continue to reside in Lawrence :)

I had a cat named Pywacket, a magnificent Siamese male, he was much closer to his movie name sake than I was to that cat's owner . . . Kim Novak :):)

Ceallach 9 years ago

I got into enough trouble with what I had ... heaven only knows what I would have done with such super power equipment!!

Grundoon Luna 9 years ago

It comes in pretty handy, Ceal, but I'd almost rather be built like Kim Novak.

A_A, the cat? Now that is kinky :D

Ceallach 9 years ago

Never mind.... misread your post

Ceallach 9 years ago

Besides, I think two or more may qualify as an infestation.... not a mere manifestation. Careful what you say, when we take over there will be retaliation.

paladin 9 years ago

I think Kim Novak was A-Okay! At least in my book. She sure rang my bell, anyway. Anna Nicole didn't hold a candle to her. And, I'm dead sure she could make real good corfee. I think all the happy, joyous couples, both young and old, should register at Hartsfelds. On the Plahza.

Ceallach 9 years ago

Sad about Anna. Without that extreme make-up and hair she was strikingly beautiful, with it she just looked trashy. I really feel sorry for the baby.

Grundoon Luna 9 years ago

I'd settle for their servitude when we take over.

paladin 9 years ago

History is chock-full of sinewy sirens and vivacious vamps with Borderline Personality Disorders. Oh well.

Ceallach 9 years ago

RI, we received inadequate intelligence information about the mass destruction that would follow such a choice. If you read it carefully you will find that Adam told her she couldn't even touch the fruit, which wasn't in His original instructions. Adam had to add his own emphasis (just in case the Lord God Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth and all things visible and invisible) didn't adequately state the warning. So it really was Adam's fault!

Flap Doodle 9 years ago

Scene & downtown, get a room guys!

paladin 9 years ago

Udder nonsense. Weren't Adam's fault. He was sucked in. My Momma always used to tell me that you should always act nice, even if you're not, cause someday you might get the chance to be, and then what?

Ceallach 9 years ago

By the sweat of your brows, boys, by the sweat of your brows :P

Grundoon Luna 9 years ago

Yeah, right, blame the woman as usual . . . Projecting men . . . Like Adam didn't know what was going on. . . EVE WAS FRAMED!!

bevy 9 years ago

This was a WAAAY long time ago on this thread, but the worry about not being with your partner if he/she is hospitalized is moot. The patient has only to designate you as their "liaison" with the hosp. and you have the same rights to be in the room, etc. as a spouse. I had to do that when my (opposite sex) fiance' was very ill. I would presume that it works the same way for anyone.

Go back to Genesis and read. When Adam got busted by God, what was the first thing he did? Pointed at Eve and said "She made me do it!" Some things never change...

I predict the Anna Nicole saga MIGHT be resolved in time for that poor baby girl's college education.

Ceallach 9 years ago

Then he said to the woman,

... And you will desire to control your husband, but he will rule over you.

Therein lies OUR curse :) Y'all just use the alure of that darned sweat!!

Ceallach 9 years ago

bevy -- was he a whiner, or what? It's that woman you gave me, it's that woman you gave me! Come to think about it, I believe he was blaming God more than Eve. Oh well, guess we'll have to solve this age old mystery on another board.

kujeeper 9 years ago

why don't they ask their questions somewhere besides borders? Oh wait, they pick certain spots so they get a bunch of liberals to help them slant their news....

jonas 8 years, 12 months ago

"Posted by consumer1 (anonymous) on February 16, 2007 at 2:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I personally choose NOT to be used as a pawn to further someone else's agenda."

How are you going to do that as a republican?