Previous   Next

How would you want to be proposed to?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 14, 2007

Browse the archives

“Over breakfast in bed. No makeup, morning breath and all that stuff - that’s when you know they really love you.”

“I would want something private and personal. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you put more thought into it if you make a big scene. It just means you made a big scene.”

“I would want it to be somewhere that is special to the both of us; like somewhere we’ve both been wanting to go or where we first met. For me it’s more about what he says than the circumstances.”

“I would want it to be private and romantic. It would be nice if our families could be there.”

Comments

grimpeur 7 years, 10 months ago

TOB et al,

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same."

-Oscar Wilde

Bone777 7 years, 10 months ago

In a bear costume, wearing a tutu, and riding a uni-cycle...

caxap 7 years, 10 months ago

Driving down the freeway. That's how I did it. Very private... very intimate.

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 10 months ago

I plan to propose in the next 9 months, so I'm definitely paying attention to others' comments today.

Bone777: I might have a bear costume somewhere, but haven't ever ridden a uni-cycle. (Note, I didn't say anything about a tutu!)

trinity 7 years, 10 months ago

i'd want the whole schmeer-flowers(not roses but wildflowers), candlelight, soft smooth jazz music, good food-and the ever important bended knee. AND a HUGE rock for a ring. ;)

or i s'pose sitting over big macs with toddlers screeching all around, din of fellow diners at peak level, and bright neon would work too. WITH the rock.

thomgreen 7 years, 10 months ago

I hope it's romantic, private, and tasteful...

But I fear it's going to start with those three magic words....

It's your kid...

brookcreeker 7 years, 10 months ago

Why were only women asked? Women can ask men to marry them too, you know. I think the questioner was a little pig headed.

samsnewplace 7 years, 10 months ago

I think two husbands would be ideal, then when one is not in the mood, maybe the other one would be!

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

Well, now, with my wife very far away, because she would be very mad, and would probably hurt me if she saw it.

trinity 7 years, 10 months ago

this seems the perfect time to wish all my sweeties on the ots a very very happy, joyous, and luv-filled valentine's day! :)

y'all just make life richer.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Like this: "Will you go to the Michigan/Ohio State football game with me?" Through my tears of joy, I would, of course, say yes.

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 10 months ago

Brookcreeker, I was just about to ask the same thing and you beat me to it.

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

Oscar Wilde's opinions of women . . . hmmmm . . . not quite unbiased, guys :)

So, if one husband is not in the mood to mow the lawn or clean the house the other one might be? Sounds like a big hassle to me . . . trying to answer their whiny questions, who mows the yard best? who cleans the house best?

galfromku 7 years, 10 months ago

In a hot air balloon would be SOOO cool. Or on the Branson Belle, or some other place that would be memorable. Maybe somewhere we'd like to visit, like the Grand Canyon or something. I guess I am definitly a person who appreciates nature's beauty and would appreciate that. That way we could take some beautiful pictures of the day.

When I got married the last time, we were sitting at the kitchen table, figuring my bills. I was naive about finances and he was helping me to learn to create a budget. During that moment we decided it would be easier to get married and that way he could be "in control" of things easier. Boy... did THAT ever happen. He kept that control as long as he could until he smothered me too much and I had to bail.

Pretty romantic, huh? NOT !

sourpuss 7 years, 10 months ago

As someone who is unmarriageable, I've never thought about it... never thought about a wedding dress either. I guess a perfect way to be asked for marriage would just to be asked.

Considering 51% of women in America are now single, so it seems the men have stopped asking for marriage. Also, being married doesn't mean you are being loved, and I'd take love over marriage any day of the week, it is just nice when you have both.

Ken Miller 7 years, 10 months ago

I proposed to my wife in the kitchen.

We were making soup.

Yankee Bean.

I laugh every time I see that episode on Seinfeld.

It's a happy laugh.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

Just like it happened in real life... 17 (thousand) years ago...with him on bended knee, hyper-ventilating, and looking so adorable that I just couldn't say no. (I could, however, postpone my answer by several minutes to watch him get even more red in the face, which I found just so charming.)

Hubby, I'd say yes all over again...but I'd hold out for a bigger rock. (I just got flipped off. Love is grand!)

Happy VD everybody! XOXOxOXoXOxoX smooch

Happy VD to you, too i_p! Have you got a new name yet? ;)

acg 7 years, 10 months ago

My hubby's proposal was perfect just the way it was. We were standing in our new house (yes, we purchased it together while living in sin), boxes stacked up everywhere. We were both covered in dirt and grime and funk from spending the whole day moving in summer and he just pulled the ring out of his pocket and he turned around and said to me "so, uh, whaddya think about, like, getting married and stuff?" I almost felt like I was being proposed to by Beavis and Butthead the way he said it. Too cute. He told me later he had been carrying it around for over two weeks waiting for the right time to ask and it never presented itself so he just blurted it out because it was eating him alive.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 10 months ago

The way my honey did - in the middle of the HyVee parking lot.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 10 months ago

"I would want it to be private and romantic. It would be nice if our families could be there."

• Stacie Weninger, teller, Lawrence

Oh, and I found this funny! Will the family also be there for the honeymoon, which also should be private and romantic? I don't want MINE there!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Sue, it sounds like you should get that bigger rock sized for a middle finger.

sharron5rs 7 years, 10 months ago

How about in the pizza hut. With him saying , I want to get married before I have to go for my IRS aduit. Ain't that soooo romantic?!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

sgt, I felt just a pang of guilt when I went into the kitchen and saw a beautiful card in front of a fresh pot of coffee. Awwww!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

Gootsie, I'm really glad that I'm not the only one that found Stacie's answer just a bit creepy.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Sue, I hear cards are delicious when you dip them in coffee. Try it and let me know!

This reminds me of a comedian who bought his wife what he thought was a wonderful Valentine's Day card. Except when she opened it, she started laughing. The outside said "Happy Valentine's Day"; the inside said, "...to the man I love."

Linda Aikins 7 years, 10 months ago

Sue, I think that means you have grounds for a big hug to the hub!

armyguy 7 years, 10 months ago

The best way is via cell phone, yep that's how I did it. First you ask if she is seeing anyone, then say, hey I am going to Iraq, wanna get married? You will get free medical and dental insurance and all the benefits of an army wife. The nuptials were just as sweet, a cell phone, fax machine, and pre-nup. wedding. No muss no fuss. BTW we are still happily married, in separate houses in separate towns.

For all you haters out there, marriage is a function of the state, not the church. There were no vows to god, or that death till you part BS. It was something far more romantic, like we do till we don't want too anymore.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

TOB, Valentine's Day is no time for humor! You have the single people who want to move to another country to escape it, and you have the non-single people who forget that the world's population includes more than one other person.

I'm told non-bitter single people and non-loopy non-single people exist, but I think that's only a myth.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 10 months ago

Maye just a little more romatic a proposal that laying in the maternity ward on Thanksgiving answering the, "what do you want to for Christman," question with "I want a symbol of our coupledness." I did get my rock, though.

Oh, just come out and say it, FBDT. Oscar Wilde was a queen. As a homosexual he is not likely to say nice things about his "competition."

I dare ya to get in an outdoor hot tub today. Double dare ya.

mick 7 years, 10 months ago

I would want her to drive 900 miles up from Houston wearing a diaper so she wouldn't even have to stop. She would pull up, point her bb gun at me and say, "Get in. Your girlfriend's in the trunk."

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

sgt, how's this for a non-loopy non-single person: I had the hubby cancel the sitter for tonight and instead, we are having a lovely "date" with our kiddies today since they got yet another snow/cold/ice/whatever day?

A_A, the hubby said he'd take that dare! BA (Bare-arsed) But he will wear a hat...

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

Py, my hubby "tried" to ask me several times before he got down on a knee. I kept telling him not to go there...I wasn't marriage material. I guess since we are in our 17th year of marriage, he gets the last laugh...for now. Muhahahahahaha! (just kidding honey!) I'd do it all again, but this time, I'd elope and spend the extra dough on the honeymoon, just like my momma told me to do. (And this advice coming from a woman who got married on Valentine's Day.)

Happy "would be 48th anniversary, Mom!" (Dad passed at age 33 and since he was her one true love, she never bothered trying to replace him.) How's that for a Valentine's Day story? Ok, Sarge, that makes me a bit sappy!

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 10 months ago

Brr-r-r-r-r-r . . . He's a brave man!! And a hat is an excellent idea but I hope you have a good wind block!! If it's just cold, pfffft, go for it. But cold AND wind, I ain't gettin' in'ere. I've got absolutely no wind block for mine. I tried wearing a shower cap covering my head and ears and I still couldn't handle it. Mr. Attitude is like your hubby. The last bitter snap we had he came in with icicles hanging from his hair, laughing and saying, "Hey check this out!!"

mom_of_three 7 years, 10 months ago

My husband never proposed, we just kind of agreed on it. We were married three weeks later. I didn't get a wedding shower or have a detailed planning, and I kind of missed having some of those things. But we have been married 16 years, so I think we have done something right all along.
He brought me 2 dozen roses to my workplace. very sweet.

Topside 7 years, 10 months ago

If its right a woman will accept your proposal anywhere.
I proposed to my wife at White Castle. She got a husband and a nice ring and I got a great meal at a resonable price.

budwhysir 7 years, 10 months ago

Why leave the bar, it would be just fine if this happened right by the pool table. Probably have the wedding there too so it would be very handy.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Well, White Castle burgers do have holes in them, so I guess you could slyde one on her finger.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 10 months ago

Preferably in English or Spanish, since I understand those languages, and at some point in this life time.

sweetiepie 7 years, 10 months ago

"Considering 51% of women in America are now single, so it seems the men have stopped asking for marriage."

or the women have stopped saying yes!

Linda Aikins 7 years, 10 months ago

IPOMB shall return, I hope! That would be a great valentine for all of us...

I want my. I want my OMB. I want my. I want my OMB. (words) We gotta install microwave ovens Custom kitchen deliveries We gotta move these refrigerators We gotta [lose] that you- know- who--ooooo

Weak, yes. From the heart, absolutely.

Mike Blur 7 years, 10 months ago

I actually made it on the JumboTron at Kauffman Stadium a few years ago when they guy next to me proposed to his girl!

I wouldn't mind one bit if the girl of my dreams proposed to me over a couple pints of Copperhead at Free State on a busy Monday night. That place can get so crazy busy, proposals can be done totally in private.

(Although I have witnessed a couple very public proposals at the FSB.)

EasilyAmused 7 years, 10 months ago

In 5 years, after I've had my fun (and after my future hubby's made enough money to buy the ring I deserve)

Confrontation 7 years, 10 months ago

I prefer to be proposed to and propositioned naked. Seriously, "try before you buy" is the best advice.

dajudge 7 years, 10 months ago

I'd like to be proposed to either at the North Pole or the top of Mt. Everest. Either way then, I'd be on top of the world. Probably find a bigger rock on Mt. Everest and I would probably become breathless, too.

sloppyscience 7 years, 10 months ago

I plan to do it in the middle of a round-about (or roond-aboot for our canadian friends)

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

Crikey, I still love to watch Steve Erwin!!

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

Not planning anything involving proposals . . been there . . . done that . . . twice . . . enuf said :)

Mike Blur 7 years, 10 months ago

Actually dajudge, the highest point on earth is Chimborazo, a volcano in Ecuador. Due to the earth's oblateness (fattening around the middle) Chimborazo is about 7-8 feet taller than Everest. (Sea level is higher in Ecuador than it is in Nepal, so therefore Everest is higher in elevation.)

dajudge 7 years, 10 months ago

Gee, thanks M_B. That really, really brings me down ;( Now I don't know what I would like, but that Steve Irwin video was really good, I thought. Maybe if I did a doobie on Everest I would be higher?

dajudge 7 years, 10 months ago

Why is it called sea "level" if it's not level?

dajudge 7 years, 10 months ago

Sorry for the Andy Rooney-ism. Now I would want to be proposed to at one of the various sea levels that exist in this or any parallel universe.

Ceallach 7 years, 10 months ago

Oops, spelled his name wrong :( oh well, I still liked the video.

Seems to me a proposition is still a proposal. Just not a marriage proposal.

bevy 7 years, 10 months ago

My fiance proposed to me while I was running back and forth from my closet to my dresser trying to get dressed for my daughter's Christmas program. He said it was the only way he could have the element of surprise - plus he couldn't wait the two weeks until Christmas. Memorable, and FUNNY. Just like him.

Someone earlier noticed that all of the questionees were female, but they are also all YOUNG. Perhaps the questioner was a guy looking for a V-Day hookup?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 10 months ago

And a preposition is bad at the end of a sentence.

evaiam 7 years, 10 months ago

I guess i'd be a bitter single. But i wanna elope in vegas with a rockstar

dajudge 7 years, 10 months ago

I thought that guy with Steve Irwin was Wilde!

useta 7 years, 10 months ago

while we are both stinkin drunk so neither one of us could remember it later! Huh?

budwhysir 7 years, 10 months ago

My idea was perfect. I purposed in a liquor store while selecting a fine 12 pack for a late friday night. Of course the answer was yes, we had my truck loaded with fishing stuff and the weather was perfect