Previous   Next

Do you remember any of your science projects?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on February 8, 2007

Browse the archives

“I remember making a retractable video game controller for the original Nintendo for my school’s invention fair.”

“In seventh grade I made a hot air balloon out of a dry cleaning bag, some straws and a candle.”

“We did an experiment to see which toothpaste was the best at whitening. We stained the shells of hard-boiled eggs with tomato sauce, grape juice and coffee. Then we tried three different types of toothpaste on each egg.”

“I think I did one on acid rain at one point and another on the flight patterns of birds.”

Comments

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

no i do not; remember, i was one of those 70's kids.

RL 8 years, 1 month ago

What the heck is a retractable video game controller?

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

No, but I do remember mixing a great many chemicals in my house into a magic elixer, that I then dunked my snoopy stuffed toy into. He smelled of radioactive soy sauce from then on out.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

I made a tornado one year using a hotplate, a box with slits in each side and a fan. Looking back it was probably more of a tornado-shaped hurricane than a tornado.

jonas - A friend and I also made some "magic elixer"s in our time. We created this green stuff from stuff all found in the kitchen, and ended up burying it at the corner of his house. To my knowledge there is still no plant life growing at that corner of the house some 20 years later.

paladin 8 years, 1 month ago

Why, yes. When I was in the third grade, I built an intergalactic rocketship and piloted it to the planet Xylophonia, where all the Xylophonians proved to be peaceable, apolitical, fat, affectionate, fun-loving, and musically inclined. They spent most of their time practicing elaborate formations playing in one, or more, of the many marching bands there. I've been told that this memory may well be one of those false memory things and is a figment of the imagination. Oh well.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

I try to forget the one involving flesh-eating zombies (FEZ for short!). That small nearby town can't remember it, though, since the town no longer exists. But we don't talk about that around here.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 1 month ago

I made a volcano that sprayed mud all over the place. My little brother Bobby helped me make it. We tested it in the back yard when my sister Marsha and some of her snooty school mates were having their "Boosters Club" meeting. Needless to say, Marsha and her Booster Club friends got sprayed with mud and Bobby and I laughed like crazy.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

sgt - I think that made the news on the Cleveland TV stations... I kind of remember hearing about the mysterious disappearance of all the residents of a small Michigan town several years ago.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

I have absolutely no idea if I did. But I always wondered if you took hard boiled eggs and put one in black coffee and one in coffee with creamer (or "whitener") and let it soak overnight, if your teeth would not stain with the creamed one.

Then I was elected cheerleader and didn't care anymore!

sourpuss 8 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely. One year, I was testing the affect of colors on evaporation in cans, but my cat started drinking the water and ruined the experiment. Another year, I was growing bean spouts in different conditions, but the same cat came along and ate the sprouts and ruined the experiment. The next year, I compared cat and human skeletons. I figured if the cat wanted to be involved...

Now that I read that over, it sounds like I killed the cat. I didn't! I worked off of drawings! Needless to say, the ONE thing I found out about the science fair is that great scientists probably don't have cats.

I actually hated the science fair with a passion even though I love science.

beatrice 8 years, 1 month ago

Just yesterday I took part in time-travel. Does that count?

paladin 8 years, 1 month ago

Sourpuss-It is my contention that Love is far from being scientific. Hate, neither. Is that a fair statement. I feel that its not.

paladin 8 years, 1 month ago

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Technology/story?id=2859163&page=1 I was wondering what Lisa's 6th grade science project was. And, if she can now remember it. In my humble view, she MAY have committed, entailing action, simple assault, a misdemeanor. A little empathy seems in order. After all, its almost Valentines Day.

paladin 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't believe that anyone ever won a Nobel Prize with a school science project. Especially one involving hot air and an arrogant mindset.

ksgal 8 years, 1 month ago

The Absence of Crayfish in the Cimmaron River.

Won lots of awards with that project.

Also gained the nickname of "mouse" when I did a project that required 12 white mice and they got loose in the school the first night they were there. I had teachers calling my name on the intercom all day asking me to please come and retrieve a mouse. It was great. Oh and the project was "Difference in Sucrose Diet vs Glucose Diet" and I believe the results I got can been seen in today's society. Healthy, fit and athletic and chunky, sickly and not athletic.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

Great story, Ksgal!! You're from the Dodge City area, aren't you?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

Sue wins for just answering the question.

But Sue, to retain your BIG! OTS permit, you need to be either needlessly wordy or hopelessly snarky. Otherwise, the BIG! OTS governing board may be forced to review your posting permit.

paladin 8 years, 1 month ago

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,250851,00.html What a messy, sordid tail! It stinks! No wonder there are diapers involved. Sometimes the world of love just seems like one big cesspool. I just would like to know how many were used by Capt. Nowak. Diapers, that is.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 1 month ago

Not really, something with planes I think.

Sheryl Wiggins 8 years, 1 month ago

so RI~I'm guessin' you're a Jimmy Buffett fan then? I really wish you wouldn't have put 'Cuban Crime of Passion' in my head though.

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

Maybe the lovely Lisa was doing a science experiment involving diapers that just got out of hand. The project was, How much will one diaper actually hold?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

sgt, my opologies. I shall correct my error.

Why, yes! I remember some of my science projects. One involved the path water would take when given a choice. (That was sixth grade.) I then proceeded to all of the chopping up up farmaldehyde critters. (I let my worm escape through a window because he was still alive.) We had many "fun" projects where we got to throw bowling balls out of third story windows and make catapults for tennis balls to measure trajectory and such. One project involved lots of surgical tubing and a "kiddie pool" full of kool-aid to see if we had sufficient air pressure to be able to suck the kool-aid up to the same said third story window. Lots of fun stuff. We had a life size laminated poster of A. Einstein that was pinned up on the window shade. We all made our own polymer boogers and during tests (to relieve anxiety) our teacher would let us take potshots at Einstein's nose. :):):)

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

Sue, a pool full of kool-aid? Were there any ... unique ingredients in the kool-aid?

dajudge 8 years, 1 month ago

Hey, I'm back, finally. I was doing an experiment on time warps and got caught back there in Superbowl dips. Sorry 'bout that.

Did the "Heehaa" get into the "Hoohaa" last night? Anybody?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

sgt, no telling! Nobody had the "suck power" to get a taste. (And our physics teacher did have his own rock band...so I guess he had a bit of a wild streak in him.)

dajudge 8 years, 1 month ago

I'll bet there was some "Hoohaa" in the Kool-aid. That would explain why there wasn't enough "suck power" to get a taste.

dajudge 8 years, 1 month ago

For my science project, I tried to measure the speed of light...I found out, it's reeeeal fast! Then, I wanted to see if time was the same on the ground as it was in a plane, so I took the cesium clock up in a plane and watched the second hand, while someone did the same on the ground and his clock was faster. But not as fast as light.

paladin 8 years, 1 month ago

The wages of Sin...and all that. This is especially upsetting to me, personally, having been formerly married to a former Playboy Bunny and formerly engaged to another Blonde Bombshell. They are related to us all and are our victims.

bradcan 8 years, 1 month ago

I've spent 20 minutes creating an account so I can try to get off whatever calling list I'm on. I'm on the no-call list-STOP CALLING ME. IS THAT BETTER-DO YOU UNDERSTAND?????

H_Lecter 8 years, 1 month ago

"science projects" sounds so impersonal.

H_Lecter 8 years, 1 month ago

Ahhhh, Bob. That is a better definition.