Previous   Next

What are you doing on Super Bowl Sunday?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on February 4, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’m going over to a friend’s house. It’s really more of a family thing with the kids - lots of video games and football.”

“I live in the dorms, so it will probably be on in the lobby. But I’m really not that big of a football fan except for KU football.”

“My friend is having a party in Kansas City. Just the typical beer, food and good friends. This will be the second annual gathering.”

“Going over to our neighbor’s house to watch the game and nosh on delicious snacks.”

Comments

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

Stirring old hidden memories... The time I ever listened... Shatner doing "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" caught my ear...

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

understood. "alabaster" was a common term invoked on BMH.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

b_g, "alabaster"? The alabaster box? Or, something like "rosebud"?

nosh vs gnosh... "nosh" is correct.

Since I favor plosive constants... phonetically... While using a "ka-nife" to cut the "ga-noshables" to "ga-nawable" size to prevent his teeth "ga-nashing" one of his seven remaining fingers, the old "ka-nave" "ka-new" he slashed his "ka-nee". The "ka-nowledge" "ka-neeling" would forever cause him to "ka-nead" the site he cut after being distracted by the "ga-nome".

You understood my pig-yiddish...

couranna1 7 years, 2 months ago

since the game is over and of course Indy won what I did was sit here at work and watch the game eating BBQ

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

yes, RI, I, too, enjoyed the BMH and surely hated to see it go!

"doing? we don't need no stupid doings?"

heard a lovely recital this afternoon, am not a football fan, wish the fans well though. I was a football fan as a teen, loved the Oakland Raiders before they became the Los Angeles traitors for money and thus disillusioned this teen gnome. also, here, we prefer to spell "gnosh" when you gnaw on gnoshables. gee wizz.

macon47 7 years, 2 months ago

isnt this just a football game?

Pywacket 7 years, 2 months ago

Paladin~ Amen, hallelujah, and pass the bunny jerky!

R_I~ Glad you experienced the Bad Music Hour. Mere descriptive passages could never convey the wonder...

As a bona fide devil's advocate, I must stand up, a little bit, for the ragging of 3of5. I agree with your message that intolerance is baaaad (m'kay?) and suggest that it was 3of5 who breached that unwritten rule of courtesy when she started the thread by taking a sanctimonious swipe at the planned activities of others. She's just getting her due.

As evidence that the rest of us are not just religious-intolerant curmudgeons, I would point out that others, including Ms C, occasionally mention church-related activities w/o activating anyone's RudeResponse button. That's because Ms C (and others) can manage to mention their own activities without taking a self-satisfied backhand at others who do not share that interest.

Maybe 3of5, if she is annoyed by all the ragging, will think twice the next time and try to mention her own doings (which, interestingly, she didn't even really do) without using the post as an excuse to insult what everybody else is doing. IMO, that's kind of how we police ourselves here--we tell one another when we're getting out of line.

But you're right--as amusing as the comments are on a slow day, it's probably time to leave off. Enjoy the game, those of you who plan to watch.

paladin 7 years, 2 months ago

And the Lord, too, created football players. And, behold, there was football playing and alas, the Superbowl. All is as it should be and all is right with God's world. Even on a Sunday. All God's bunnies should rejoice and hop on away.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

sue,

Enjoy your extended family time.

I'm sorry, but I am not coming up with anything to help you out with the nephew prank.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

I have to stand up a little bit for number3of5.

The way one chooses to honor and observe the sabbath if they choose to, is up to that individual.
This great country of ours was supposedly partly founded to embrace religious tolerance.

So to all, the snippy comments... well... enough. 3 of 5, it sounded alot like some Salvation Army sister singing "Nearer My God To Thee". Wrong pulpit?

My observation of respondent and poster Sunday plans? Warm friendly family fellowship.

I am reminded of a favorite quote of mine...

"It is my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

Py, I loved that show...

Sean with the cellophane eating thingy. Together with Michelle they had such a rambling kvetch between them.

I do not know where Sean ended up, but Michelle moved to New York, and was doing a show called the "The Incorrect Music Hour". Where? No other place than WFMU. The link was in the earlier post. It was on from '97 ish until '02. There are archives of that show she did with Irwin Chusid. Give them a listen. Not quite the same... I do not know where she is or what she is doing now.

KS 7 years, 2 months ago

jimjones - Couldn't agree with you more!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

Eating good food at my momma's house with all of my siblings in attendance. We are currently eating "Buffalo wing dip," watching "The Dirty Dozen" on the boob tube and contemplating the wherefores and whys of the world. Mostly laughing and thinking of a good prank to play on my nephew. Any ideas? (I left the "granny panties" that I was going to wedge into his car's backseat at home so I have to come up with something else.)

Father_Guido_Sarducci 7 years, 2 months ago

Moments before kickoff I will say a prayer of peace and safety for all of those who will be in attendance at today's big game.

Pywacket 7 years, 2 months ago

R_I~ YES on the "Retro Cocktail Hour." Hey, maybe we could sorta acronymize that to "RetCH." I don't usually catch it because I'm dedicated to KCUR's Fish Fry (8--midnight, Fri. & Sat.). I generally prefer KCUR's programming to KANU's, so sometimes I forget the shows I do like on KANU.

Did you ever used to listen to KCUR's "Bad Music Hour"? It was the best! Not only for the spine-chilling bad music (some perennial fave artists were William Shatner and Imelda Marcos), but also (maybe especially) for the hosts, Michelle Boule and Sean Smith. They were quirky, witty, quick on their feet, and fabulously creative. Ah...the repartee...the tasteless comments...the obscure cultural references...

Why does the good stuff always get yanked, while that colossal yawnfest, "A Prairie Home Companion" goes on and on and ON? The Bad Music Hour ran for a few years in the middle of the 90s. I don't think you can even stream it--I would BUY the CDs if they wanted to sell them on their website, but I don't know if they had the good sense to save the material. Too bad...

If you didn't ever catch the "BMH" but did watch the TV offering, "Dinner and a Movie," the hosts of that show come the closest to an example of the interactions between Sean & Michelle that I can think of to give you an idea--but I think Sean & Michelle were even better.

I didn't know about "Music to Spazz By, " but will have to check that out. Thanks for sharing. Might have to center a Fondue Night around that.

Mr Ramirez & Paladin~ I'm enjoying your comments and waiting to see if 3of5 will amuse us all with an indignant response. But she probably doesn't have time. She's probably busy shaping fileted rabbit pieces into crosses, fish shapes, and other Biblical symbols before frying them up for her appreciative family.

paladin 7 years, 2 months ago

But, God forbid, the murder of bunnies and the playing of sports games are never done on Sundays. The Bible forbids this, as everyone should know.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

Py, Bad movies and lounge lizard music rule! Ever listen to the "Retro Cocktail Hour" on KANU? Sat. nights 7-9pm. Another good radio program... WFMU online. Music to Spazz By. Thur. 8-11pm. http://www.wfmu.org/

I did start out the morning cooking the meal to break the fast while listening to some good music.
We cleaned off the table dancing to "Luau Party Music".

Mr_Ramirez 7 years, 2 months ago

3of5 may have multiple personalities. See below: Make up your mind grandma!

"I do agree however that the youth of today need a place to play sports, since they don't have any chores to keep them busy. Sports can help them in many ways. "

and this gem, doesnt relate to sports, however, i found it, well, uhm, interesting....?

"the correct way to kill a tame rabbit is to hold it upside down by the hind legs and wack it behind the ears with a baseball bat or heavy stick. I butchered all of the frying rabbits I raised in this manner. I enjoyed eating them also. When a female quite producing, she was killed and stewed instead of fryed."

thank you, i'll remember that the next time i need to "kill a tame rabbit". kook

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

roger,

Nosh.

Ech, you seem farblondzhet, and a chutzpenik.

One could nosh on nosherei, gnashing their teeth as they gnawed, but they would not "gnosh"

Need a schmatte for the bissel eppis on your petseleh?

Pywacket 7 years, 2 months ago

R_I~ Too funny. I will have to check that out. We used to have some friends over for "bad movie nights" now & then--until the friends who shared our love for wicked bad movies followed a job across the country. =( So now we have to watch the bad movies on our own, but they're still worth digging up.

Gee, the holier-than-thou sure get up early on Sunday. Guess they like to drop a big stinkin' terlit touchdown on everybody before scuttling off to church to evaluate everybody else's Sunday finery. Schmuck...

As for me, I'll do some laundry, cook a little, and be thankful than nobody in my house is a football fan. Enjoy your partays, everybody!

Mr_Ramirez 7 years, 2 months ago

"Same thing I do every Sunday. The super bowl game is not an issue in my house. Sports are not watched. We lead simple lives with concerns more for our families, not games."

LOL!! are you serious? Could be "Post of the Year"..

So, you are "better" than people who watch the devil- sports??

Im sure your family time is really special and stimulating.

" Mom, do we have to read the Bible AGAIN?!!??"

Bone777 7 years, 2 months ago

Looking forward to March Madness.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

Things I did not get done yesterday.

Yesterday morning I was reading some back issues of "Modern Drunkard Magazine" online, and came across an article about Woody Woodbury. The article mentioned the 1964 beach film "For Those Who Think Young". Amazingly (some sort of fate), that movie was on TV.
So of course I had to watch it. Staring Woodbury, Paul Lind, Tina Louise (Ginger), Bob Denver (Gilligan), the movie had a "freaky" musical/video number preformed by Denver (Gilligan).

I swear they must have been licking some of "those" stamps...

budwhysir 7 years, 2 months ago

Well, as you all know, I will be watching the game and putting more of a political spin on the whole sports issue. I feel that politicaly speaking, many of the universities could receive a small fund from this game that would allow for upkeep of the said universities. Politicaly speaking.

The other thing I will be doing is putting together a list of items needed for a tailgate party at the new home away from home football game

southerngirl 7 years, 2 months ago

Kids are having friends over eating junk food and watching the commercials and half time show.

jimjones 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't really care who wins the superbowl. However, I am still vomiting after the Jayhawks loss to A & M. Outcoached - on national TV. We don't have a chance at Mizzou and will probably lose the Bramlage streak as well. We'll never never win anything big with Self as our coach. Lew, Hear our prayer - release us from this!!!

roger_o_thornhill 7 years, 2 months ago

Isn't it "gnosh"? Anyways, Super what? Is this some kind of Ron Popiel invention? I thought bowls were bowls. Now there's Super ones? What, do they never become empty or something?

Here's hoping the LPD and HyPo's will be on patrol tonight.

Silence_Dogood 7 years, 2 months ago

Wearing my tank-top and beating my wife.

Silence_Dogood 7 years, 2 months ago

Making fun of people who watch football.

paladin 7 years, 2 months ago

Reading the Holy Word (Bible), prayer, and holding hands and staring at the wall. It is Sunday, after all.

querulousperson 7 years, 2 months ago

Sports are not watched. The computer is used. Comments are made on discussion boards. Less simple people are made to feel inferior to 3of5.

Redneckgal 7 years, 2 months ago

We are having a party at my house. Its been cold and nasty so long that we are all getting stir crazy. This is just what we need to break up the boredom a little bit.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 7 years, 2 months ago

3of5, I'm sorry to hear of your concerns about your family. Hopefully things will work out for the best and allow you to enjoy some recreational activity together on a Sunday; such as enjoying a Super Bowl together.

hottruckinmama 7 years, 2 months ago

cooking most of the day. my kids are having friends over. we are having salsa and chips, white chili, regular chili, spinich artichoke dip,hot wings...i hope i haven't forgotten anything! if i have a chance i may sit down and watch the game too!

number3of5 7 years, 2 months ago