Previous   Next

Do you believe in the groundhog’s ability to predict when spring will come?

Asked at Hastings Books, Music and Video, 1900 W. 23rd St. on February 2, 2007

Browse the archives

“No, I do not. I just don’t trust the fate of spring to a small rodent. If it comes early, it comes early.”

“Oh yes. Six weeks is six weeks, and it’s going to be here anyway. He’ll be right this year.”

“No. It’s a great tradition, but a very bad way to predict the weather. If the weatherman can’t get it right, how can a groundhog?”

“No. I don’t think it makes any difference, but I am usually interested to see if he sees his shadow and see if he’s right.”

Comments

thomgreen 7 years, 10 months ago

Hell yeah! The groundhog's mystical powers along with the ever loving truth from the flying spaghetti monster are the two things that drive my world.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

I guess you found your answer before I had a chance to finish typing, Bob!

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

Gootsie: Except drive on the railroad tracks. Don't forget not to do that.

trinity 7 years, 10 months ago

R_I said "I just can not put my faith in a buck toothed furball named Phil"

really, you ought not make such thinly veiled references to the johnson county district attorney! ;)

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 10 months ago

I'd like to see the groundhog come out of that tree stump, look at everybody, give the finger (or paw) and walk back into his stump.

There's about a good chance of spring coming early as there is the Penguins coming to KC this year!

trinity 7 years, 10 months ago

ooops nearly forgot-

friday friday friDAY! friday friday friDAY! :D

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Only if the groundhog can also predict the outcome of the Super Bowl.

trinity 7 years, 10 months ago

i'm with lawrence turner! gosh he looks like a happy fella!

friday friday friDAY, friday friday friDAYYYYY! :)

Linda Aikins 7 years, 10 months ago

You beat me to it, psychofan. Very good! If your radio is playing "I Got You Babe" when you wake up, then you can do anything you want today!!

friday friday friDAY, friday friday friDAYYYYY! :)

ohjayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

T_O_B - The groundhog (Phil) is actually fairly tame, from what I understand. Most of the year he lives in a wing of the library in Punxsutawney. I believe he has quite a bit of human contact throughout the year. They only take him out into the field for this one day each year, stick him in a hole and bring him back out. Then, it's back to the library.

number3of5 7 years, 10 months ago

Nature is one of the best ways to know about long term and sometimes short term weather patterns. Watch the animals around you and you might be surprised at what they can teach you. OH, I don't mean the human animals either. As for whether Pauxsutawny Phil sees his shadow up north, doesn't mean one here in Kansas might. You need to gear the belief for the area you are in. In other words if the sun is shining here in our area of Kansas a ground hog would see his shadow and be frightened and return to his burrow. And forecast 6 more weeks of winter. To degrade this tradition by using the forecast of just one groundhog is rediculous.

avoice 7 years, 10 months ago

This year I expect the groundhog to predict global warming. And he will be right.

ms_canada 7 years, 10 months ago

Por supuesto!! who in his right mind would not. This day has started out right, who needs a ground hog when you have pywacket and TOB to put a spring your step. Thanks guys, lmdo.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

Punctuation overload. System failure. Server down. Everybody panic.

ms_canada 7 years, 10 months ago

I_P - would the Druids have the same info about bats whooshing by your head while you were standing on your porch watching the stars? That does happen to me occasionally, would that explain my good fortune? And now that I think of it, there were no bats around on the day that my hubby smashed my car. Hmmmmmmmmmm!

jranderson 7 years, 10 months ago

I think the 'on the street' photos should always involve props.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

My children were discussing this very ? at breakfast this morning. Such an important topic that it required oatmeal-chocolate chip pancakes. Don't know that they ever came to an agreement but they both liked the pancakes.

Ms_C, as long as hubby was not injured and he replaced your wee car with a newer/better model (one with heated leather seats, of course), all should be forgiven. Oh, and if he skipped the heated leather seats... a mandatory foot massage from the hubby should be included. These rules are written somewhere, I'm sure.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

"Excuse me. Do you mind holding this dead, stuffed rodent while I take your picture for the newspaper?"

southerngirl 7 years, 10 months ago

I bet Katie Horner has groundhog-like prediction abilities!

We had an ice storm last night so the entire Mid South is paralized today!!! Yeah! No School, Day off, I'll join the conga line! Friday, Friday, FriDAY! Friday, Friday, FriDAY!

mick 7 years, 10 months ago

Sure, I believe in Punxatawney Phil. But I also believe what Bush tells us.

Janet Lowther 7 years, 10 months ago

Groundhog Day: This is a hold over from an ancient belief that the weather following the "cross quarter days," the old pagan holidays which fall about halfway between a solstice and an equinox, are contrary: The subsequent weather will be the opposite of that on the old holiday.

On that basis, judging from this morning's weather, we are in for warmer, if cloudy weather for a while. . .

Jaminrawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Sweet vermouth on the rocks with a twist ...

acg 7 years, 10 months ago

OMG RI I have never talked to another person who's seen that movie. I loved that movie. It was so weird and freaky and one of those movies one watches with a bit of chemical enhancement for sure!

budwhysir 7 years, 10 months ago

I am about as interested in this as I am paying a toll to go watch the university play a home game at Arrowhead stadium

bevy 7 years, 10 months ago

I will be sure to eat some sausage for dinner tonight. Since it's Ground Hog Day and everything.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

bevy, good one. I, however, for my health will be having ground turkey followed by soy jello shots.

Hey! Where is Bea? Has she gone to Bangalore?

RI, did you call TOB a big...nevermind!

Jackalope 7 years, 10 months ago

Saw the ground hog day festivities on the early morning news. And, I have decided that I too want to believe in the ground hog. It takes so little effort, and from the looks of the news footage, it can be one heck of a party. Any city that can draw 15,000 and have a gut busting party for a ground hog just when you are starting to think that the sun will never warm the earth again can't be all bad.

ms_canada 7 years, 10 months ago

Sue - I will have to quote that rule about the foot massage as there are no heated seats in my new car. I just drove it home about an hour ago. A Honda Accord. Deep red in colour, black interior. Smooth ride. I am no longer mad at my man. I think the owls or bats were out today as my fortune seems to have turned.

Tony Kisner 7 years, 10 months ago

The trouble with the groundhog is that he has a face for radio. Really, I understand that he is the "guy" at the weather channel - I heard but can't confirm that he worked right out of school for NOAA. But we all know sex sells and a groundhog is cute but not all that sexy. He also has a terrible lisp that makes it hard to understand what he is saying. Nothing wrong with getting braces later in life, spend the money! So while I sure he has all the skills, I still prefer a weather babe in a sweater for my forecast. After all - so what, it's not like they can change the weather

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 10 months ago

The real groundhog legend is "If the groundhog sees his shadow we will have 6 weeks more of winter, if he doesn't, we'll have a week and a half more of winter". Anyway you do the math, the first day of spring is March 20. Stay warm!

snowWI 7 years, 10 months ago

I think that Febuary might actually be colder than average because of the current weather pattern over North America. There is a decent polar vortex in southern Canada and low temperatures will be near -40F in northern Minnesota for several nights. I think the weather will warm up some for Eastern Kansas this coming week, though.