Previous   Next

Do you enjoy ice skating in the winter?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 1, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. I went to an indoor place when I lived in Houston, but I wouldn’t know where to go around here.”

“I’ve gone before, but it was in the fall and I damn near broke my leg. So I wouldn’t exactly say I enjoy it.”

“Yes. I started going when I was in college. There weren’t any skating rinks back home.”

“Yeah, it’s fun. It’s been about two years, but I can’t go around here because I don’t have my own skates.”

Comments

Chocoholic 7 years, 2 months ago

FYI, the guy who ran the parks & rec gymnastics program in Robinson at KU is now in charge of the gymnastics program at Dance City. As of this past fall (2006), they had a girl's competitive team, but didn't yet have enough boys to put together a competitive team. They may have one by now. He's a great coach/teacher, very very good with the kids.

PS--back on topic, I love ice skating! The kids and I hit Crown Center at least once a year, and make a day of it w/ lunch and shopping. Be sure to get your parking ticket validated a second time at customer service if you stay more than 3 hours. The ice rink folks will validate for free parking for 3 hours, but Crown Center customer service will validate it for an additional 3 hours (up to 6hrs if you do the math) if you spend $25 or more while there. You have to show them your receipts.

I sound like an ad!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

sunshine, level 3 at parks and rec for girls is neither sanctioned nor USAG. Level 3 is considered non-competitive in most gyms (and LPR does not offer competitive gym at any level). LPR does not offer anything above level 3 and also does not have equipment set-up to meet the needs of advanced gymnastics. They did have advanced gym when they were set up at Robinson, but alas, were booted out of the building under the guise of "we need more office space," which, BTW, they haven't even started to build yet and it has been a year and a half since then. So, I hear you. I have read the class schedule book and wonder how they can get away with "false advertising." It's a crock for the older kids. There were a lot of kids in that program. They were swept out the door with no place to go. LPR is still a good place to take your very young or non-advanced kids, though.

budwhysir 7 years, 2 months ago

I like to skate around the issue that this town has gone crazy with an unsellable load of houses, unaffordable housing, a university that needs extra money, toll roads that increase prices to help out the schools, and above all a political sense of humor.

Politicaly speaking on wanted needs of needs that are wanted

militant 7 years, 2 months ago

I think a skate & shoot park/rink would be great. Placing targets around the rink would add that extra element of fun.

prairie_girl 7 years, 2 months ago

There is still a miniature golf course in Lawrence....it is out on hwy 10 East of Lawrence where the driving range is

Kat Christian 7 years, 2 months ago

Sunflower Sue - YES they do- read the class schedule book

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

southern, my dentist always made me remove that big comb from my pocket because he didn't want a mar in his leather chair. Too funny! Thanks for the memory! :D

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

Ms_C, I was fortunate to grow up w/in walking distance of a skating rink. One of my (many) childhood dreams was to be the next Dorothy Hammil. But, alas, I had weak ankles! I did/do manage my way around a rink but never the "beauty on the ice" I dreamed of being...but then, I dreamed many things that did not come to fruition. (This is by no means a bad thing!) I wish we had a skating rink here but it would become just another place for a "rich kid sport." The rink in my hometown does have a bit of public skating times, but the rink makes it's money off of the hockey players and figure skaters. The money used to build the rink was donated by one citizen for that purpose. (Maybe he grew up skating???) My mother tells me that her father used to skate on the river. I think winters must have been colder here in days of yore (although judging by the last week you wouldn't know it), and people used to do more farm pond skating and such.

southerngirl 7 years, 2 months ago

Sue, I was also a child of the 70's, but dont forget the big comb for your back pocket. Mine was purple because I went to Topeka West.

I have been ice skating a few times at King Louie in KC (is that place still there?) too many people, but very fun once I got the hang of it.

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

That was just for you Pywacket and Sarge and all of you who have memories of a skating rink.

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

When I was a kid there were not a whole lot of indoor rinks and in B.C. no outdoor rinks as it rarely froze. But now, every little town has a rink as hockey is so big with the kids old and young. But I did play broomball on the outdoor rink just down the street from me. That reminds me, has anybody down there heard Quebecois David Francey singing, The Skating Rink?Really great song which depicts a small town rink as the gathering place on any winter evening.

The music from the skating rink
  Drifts across the town
  The stars of heaven high above
  Forever looking down
  I stand here looking upward
  And I'm listening to the sound
  Of the village in the lonely heart of winter.

The lights above the skating rink
  Illuminate the scene
  And on the snow the shadows show
  Footsteps where we've been
  And Danny's breath hangs motionless
  Hovers like a dream
  Above his head, in the lonely heart of winter.

The sky above the skating rink
  The blackened weight of space
  Falls endless on the  frozen world
  Upon the saving grace
  Of the lights around the skating rink
  Laughing in the face
  Of the darkness at the lonely heart of winter.

Written at Ayer's Cliff, Quebec  Feb 19, 2002 by David Francey

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Ascot: I figured you meant public. For cities not in the north, I'd agree with you; for cities in the north, it's not much of an issue, because one way or another, arenas get built where people want them. I would guess that if no private citizen sees the need to build a privately-funded ice arena, then a public arena will probably be a money-losing venture.

I live in Michigan (so not too far from Canada), and we do have an abundance of ice arenas, but most of them are fairly new. Most of them are private, too (going back to the last paragraph).

R_I: given the proximity of Ann Arbor and its brand-new YMCA, we have not brought a Y to town.

Gootsie: we did just build a relatively large (relative to the town) new library, but sadly, they did not include an ice rink. Also, they scuttled plans to sell coffee in the library; they didn't want to compete with surrounding businesses.

Ram: Zdeno Chara (on the left) says hello: http://www.aftonbladet.se/sport/0501/13/SPORT-13s20-zdeno-27_368.jpg

TOB: unfortunately, my town has decided that it likes housing developments much more than parks. Not that we don't have parks, but you know. They haven't committed to such an aggressive 1/4-mile plan. Oh well. But sometimes it seems like we have banks, drug stores and pizza places every 1/4 mile...

Leprechaunking13 7 years, 2 months ago

Lawrence had a skate rink, it wasn't used as much as needed to fund it obviously so they built a shopping complex where it used to be. We also used to have a putt-putt course, that's what Lawrence could really use again

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

"I never called, refered, infered, or implied anything about you...." -RI RI, put down the crack pipe! And yes, I think Lawrence could use another free court or two (dozen).

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 2 months ago

Sgt.

Does your city have a park every 1/4 mile?

prospector 7 years, 2 months ago

I can't help it, I have to. Though I bet it is much more fun with skates. Can they be acquired in town?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

My dear sweet scrupulous_sue,

I never called, refered, infered, or implied anything about you.... I just quoted you....

But, that aside, I am asking for clarification..... "May I suggest racketball at the ONE free court at Holcolm rec center?"

Are you suggesting that (using year 2000 census data), a in town of 80,098, the sixth largest city in the state of Kansas, one inexpensive and or free community racketball court is not enough? Did you come to this conclusion by calling to reserve the court at 7:58 am the day prior, and learning that all time slots were taken?

Azure_Attitude 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm not very good at it, but I do like skating. When I was a little kid my mom used to flood our front yard and we'd have a good size rink and being in the cold Chicago suburbs it would last quite a while. The nieghbors would come over and enjoy as well and there'd always be lots of people over skating. When I was 5 we moved and our new yard had a slight slope to it so we couldn't do that anymore. Bummer.

The city used flood the train park, (Watson Park?) for a rink. Why don't they do that any more? It's cheaper than a facility, and skating just isn't and may never be as popular as it is up North and in the Northeast to hardly justify the expense of a skaing facility.

Gootsie 7 years, 2 months ago

How about a combination ice skate rink / library?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

sgt, Does your fair city of under 10,000 population have a YMCA also?

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 7 years, 2 months ago

Sarge, I was referring to publicly funded. I'm impressed that your city of 10,000 can support an arena, that's fantastic. Are you in KS? I can see it working in Canada where kids are practically born with skates on their feet.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Wait, ascot -- what statistics for what cities? Are you talking about a publicly-funded arena, or does that include privately-built arenas?

I ask because my city of under 10,000 has a privately-funded arena.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

RI, did you just call me a ... ??? No more free baby sitting for you! You, you...Bible thumper!

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 7 years, 2 months ago

As much as I'd like to see an indoor ice rink in Lawrence, statistics show that a city must have a population of at least 100,000 in order to make an ice rink cost effective. I don't think Lawrence fits into that category due to the fluctuating nature of our population during summer months, etc. Here's my proposal: Establish three outdoor rinks throughout the city (no walls necessary, just a one-foot deep man made pond), at least one of which will be fitted with two hockey goals made of chain-link fence. Keep them filled with water as needed (similar to the one in Hobbs Park) and let the public have at it. It's a lot cheaper than building a skating facility and allows families to have some outdoor fun in the winter. I grew up in a Cleveland suburb that used this approach and it was a hit.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

Skating and roller rinks, not the HPV vaccine are the leading cause of teen promiscuity and the decline of Western civilization.....

"I enjoy ice skating...but being a child of the 70's, I much prefer roller skating. I like to dig out my bell bottoms, put a giant boom box on my shoulder, set up the disco ball, and roll..." -sunflower_sue

Ezekiel 23:19 - Yet she multiplied her whoredoms, in calling to remembrance the days of her youth, wherein she had played the harlot in the land of Egypt. . . . There are plenty of private, separate but equal, expensive, elitist, exclusionary pre/teen orientated entertainment opportunities here in Lawrence. Boys and girls with their pubertal desires need to be kept apart.

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

lol, 75-is that pucker factor related to sphincter muscles in any way?

consumer1 7 years, 2 months ago

Is this a blatent attempt bythe LJW to help promote a new tax funded rec center? with an Ice rink????

75x55 7 years, 2 months ago

Pywacket - was waiting for someone to mention the glamour of pond skating. Now that's skating - ridges, snow banks, sticks and branches - the occasional thin spot... not to mention that oh-so-thrilling possibility of hearing the ice groan, just a little.....

Pond skating - the true winter pucker factor!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

sunshine, parks and rec does not have advanced gymnastics for girls, either. Try Dance City. They now offer competitive (or non-) gymnastics more affordably than the Academy. But you sound a bit pessimistic about art and gymnastics. Try one of the other billion activities out there. May I suggest racketball at the ONE free court at Holcolm rec center?

Fishman 7 years, 2 months ago

I was wondering how fast someone would notice I phrased that wrong. I meant the only bone I ever broke. Hey, jellyfish rock!

Kat Christian 7 years, 2 months ago

STILL - Lawrence needs a roller/ice rink. What a fun way to spent a Saturday with your kids. Not only that Schools could form ice hockey teams and figure skate competitions. I think it would be a great outlet for the young people here in Lawrence. Kids needs more than just art and gymnastics to be entertained. Did you know that parks and rec do not have an advanced gymnastics class for boys? Most folks can't afford the Academy to help their child advance. With all the developers wanting to build and Lawrence wanting to move up a Roller/Ice Skating rink would be a great asset to this town.

Gootsie 7 years, 2 months ago

He meant to sphincter, but accidentally dropped her before he could.

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

if god, buddha, whichever supreme being you believe in-had intended me to ice skate, i woulda been born with blades on my feet. same goes for roller skating. i am pretty much without coordination-and WITH a huge fear of hurting myself.

fishman, wow-your wrist bone is the only one you have?? that must make life difficult. ;)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Py, the increased popularity of youth hockey -- particularly high school hockey -- here over the last decade or so (my town's varsity hockey team is about ten years old) has fueled the construction of several area ice rinks. So ice skating has gotten pretty easy here for those who enjoy it. Lots of free skate times.

I must say, though, if I were to ice skate (I'm not built for normal ice skates -- I need the ice skate equivalent of roller skates, which I can't find for adults ... otherwise I'd probably be on the ice), my favorite place around here would be the University of Michigan's Yost Ice Arena. The newer arenas are all well and good, but it's so cool to skate in such a classic structure. It has a much better atmosphere than typical local rinks.

Pywacket 7 years, 2 months ago

Sarge~ I KNEW you'd weigh in on this one...

Paging Ms C... We must have your observations!

Fishman~ DUDE! You broke your "one and only bone" ice skating?!!! I'm changing your name to "Jellyfishman."

I looooove ice skating, of course. We skated on ponds & lakes back home and woe to any weak-ankled friends--they tried, though, bless them. I lived in the city, but we had a ratty tennis court they flooded for skating every winter. It was right around the block from my house so we were over there all the time.

I brought my skates when I first moved here (in the 80s) but never got to use them. After being shuffled around in basements & garages, and after acquiring a fine patina of mildew a decade or so later, they finally seemed beyond redemption, so I trashed them. :-(

I haven't gone to the Olathe rink, but we've been to Crown Terrace a time or two. Ronwell_Dobbs~~ Have you skated at the Olathe rink? If so--any opinions, pro or con?

To satisfy my skating craves, I learned to rollerblade and I do enjoy that. But ice is more forgiving than pavement, and you don't have to wear padding & a helmet--winter bundling is sufficient. So I'd like to get to skating again some day.

innocuous_posts 7 years, 2 months ago

A Golden Fruitcake to R_I for the best use of the word "coccyx" in an OTS post. Somebody needs to say "sphincter" now.

Fishman 7 years, 2 months ago

Loved ice skating as a kid. It was great fun, but I did break my one and only bone, my wrist doing it! We had a softball field flooded for the winter, and had a warming house for us. It was the "in" thing to do back then. There'd be at least 100 people there every night of the week. What a workout too.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 7 years, 2 months ago

I love skating, it's a great workout. Regarding the Pepsi rink in Olathe, I play hockey there every Sunday night. The place draws a lot of people, but not too many want to make the drive from Lawrence.

blue73harley 7 years, 2 months ago

I guess there won't be any outdoor skating in Wichita. I am going there this weekend so I checked the LJW "forecast nearby cities". The Wichita forecast they give for today is "partly cloudy, breezy, highs around 80"!!!! If that were really true, I would drive there today!

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

I must say I prefer ice-skating in a rink much more than ice-skating on my way back to my house from the bus. I fell flat on my assorted sides four times on my way home from class yesterday, and I'm usually more coordinated than that.

ronwell_dobbs 7 years, 2 months ago

I guess that Pepsi-sponsored ice rink up in Olathe must not be getting its marketing message out very well. No one knows about where to go ice skating around here.

Weirdness.

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

hah-no. but my truck just enjoyed a 30 mile skate through FOG, a trip that took about 45 minutes! so i guess she likes to skate.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

I never really was very good at ice skating. These days, photographing hockey games is about as close as I come to skating.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

Lacing up the ol' Bauers' would be like saying,

Please Sir, may I bruise my coccyx?

ohjayhawk 7 years, 2 months ago

I've never been ice skating... that's probably for the best. I'd break something for sure (ankle, wrist, neck).

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 2 months ago

I do not like green eggs and ham.

Can you tell what I've been reading to the boy lately? I was having weird dreams about it and woke up talking like this. The Mrs. took the son and scurried off quickly this morning.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

How do you feel about green eggs and ham, TOB?

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 2 months ago

I cannot Ice Skate in the Winter I cannot Ice Skate in the Summer I cannot Ice Skate in the Summer or Winter I do not enjoy to Ice Skate in the Winter I do not enjoy to Ice Skate in the Summer I do not enjoy to Ice Skate in the Summer or Winter I do not Ice Skate

blue73harley 7 years, 2 months ago

Darn you Gootsie! Ya beat me to it!

Kelly Powell 7 years, 2 months ago

never saw the appeal....sure a hockey fight is cool to watch,but you have to see a bunch of guys skating before it happens.

Gootsie 7 years, 2 months ago

I'll be the first to say it.

I'd much rather ice skate in the summer when it is warmer.