Previous   Next

How do you like to ring in the new year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 30, 2007

Browse the archives

“I like to drink champagne and have fireworks, and, of course, kiss my husband. Then I call everyone on their cell phone to wish them a happy new year.”

“I usually just have friends over and watch the ball drop.”

“I like to stay home with friends and family, and stay away from the drunk drivers.”

“I like to spend New Year’s with close friends, but not at a big party. I prefer a more intimate environment, maybe at a friend’s house, to a stranger’s party.”

Comments

canyon_wren 6 years, 11 months ago

I fix a big bunch of hors d'oeuvres--same traditional ones each year--and have my daughter and her husband and 4 or 5 other friends over for poker. We put up serpentine and balloons and the whole works. No TV, so we can't watch "the ball drop" but we go out at midnight and toot horns and shoot off fireworks. We usually play till 2 or 3 a.m. I am learning all the different kinds of poker--"Follow the Queen," "Baseball," etc. Great fun!

Kat Christian 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm still on Eastern Standard time. I thought after 10 years of living out here I'd have gotten past that - but NO. So I celebrate New Year's when the ball drops in New York as I've done for so many, many years past. Then I get my wooden spoon and pot - go outside and clang it (a 3rd generation family tradition). After that - at midnight Midwestern time I listen to the rest of the town celebrate. Then I go to bed.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

I rarely go out for New Years, usually watch a movie since there's seldom anything good on TV.

Kathy Getto 6 years, 11 months ago

With my sweet husband. The only way to bring in the year.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

Music; friends; lots of yummy food and drink.

PrincessConsuelaBananaHammock 6 years, 11 months ago

Hangin out at home with the Husband and the Kiddo - we have our traditional game of Monopoly (Junior addition so the munchikin can play to) - watch the ball drop on TV, munch on snacks, sip some bubbly grape juice, then tuck in the little one and have some grown-up time -- followed of course by the sleeping in on New Year's day and starting it of with a blueberry pancake brunch!!

GretchenJP 6 years, 11 months ago

Staying home where it's safe and welcoming midnight with a kiss from my husband.