Previous   Next

Do you already know which presidential candidate you want to vote for?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 28, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. Assuming they win the primary, I know who it will be.”

“No. I haven’t given it much thought. There are so many right now.”

“Yes: Huckabee. He just seems like a righteous man.”

“I have no idea. Nobody has really grabbed me yet. I’m waiting to see who the definite front-runners are.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 6 years, 12 months ago

Edwards or Kucinich. Edwards is taking quite a populist position. I lean towards Kucinich because neither the party,the press nor the special interests seem to want him in office soooo it's about time special interest money is dumped from political campaigns. Kucinich also offers a think outside the box platform which is a welcome change.

The primary caucus approach leaves much to be desired and cost way to much special interest money. What do people in Iowa and New Hampshire know that we don't? What makes this special? There is a lot about the current election system that does not mean much. So who cares what a newspaper thinks about who we should vote for? Why should voters give a damn?

Our choices are being controlled by the special interest political parties,the media and corporate special interest money. How is it all candidates are not allowed to participate in every debate? Why does any candidate stand by this crap? That is why I promote firing 95% of incumbents. Returning the lions share of incumbents over the past 30 years has not made much of anything better.

The news media and corporate america do NOT need to decide who OUR candidates should be for local,state or federal level representation.

The media takes in a ton of cash during our election periods and play a huge role in selecting candidates for all sides of the aisle. Then THEY decide who should participate in televised debates as if no one else matters to the voters. Yes they also seem to decide which issues are important to voters and many times miss the mark. The media has become a large part of the special interest takeover of our process as if they know what is best for all of us. Voters support this takeover by voting for those candidates who also spend the most money and the question is why?

Campaigns go too long,spend way too much money and do not necessarily provide the best available. It is up to us to stop the nonsense at the voting booths on the 2008 ballot. Not voting sends the wrong message and changes nothing.

Lets's demand a new system and vote in Fair Vote America : http://www.fairvote.org/irv/ Demand a change on the 2008 ballot.

The big money candidates are more beholden than ever to corporate special interests due to the very long nature of campaigns. How do they have time to do the job they were elected to do? We need public financing of campaigns. Citizens cannot afford special interest money campaigns for it is the citizens that get left out.

preebo 6 years, 12 months ago

My heart says Kucinich, but my mind says Edwards. I even like Biden, but I don't think any of these people will be hanging around when Kansas' primary arrives. I just wish Obama had more substance to his platform. I mean one can hear the word change only so many times before they start asking how and what kind, and when we do we would like an actual answer and not some ambiguous line about the future and bringing people together.

That is not to say that I would not support him or Hillary Clinton if they were to get the nomination. Whom ever it may be I would take either of them on their worst day over any candidate on their best day, save John McCain.

jonas 6 years, 12 months ago

Right now, current strategy suggests a vote for whichever party is opposite that which is in control of Congress.

thomgreen 6 years, 12 months ago

"None Of The Above". And I'm going to start a national campaign to push this lack of candidate to the forefront.....

Ceallach 6 years, 12 months ago

Nope, just the one who will not get my vote. I cannot, in good conscience,be part of putting Bill Clinton back in the White House.

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 12 months ago

One thing is clear: those who wish to cast a vote in any local, state or federal election must be required to show valid photo identification before entering the voting booth. This is the simplest, most straightforward way to reduce fraud in our elections.

And there are exactly zero legitimate arguments against requiring photo identification to vote.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 12 months ago

no im not sure who i will vote for, does our votes really even count??? i do know who i WON'T VOTE FOR... its only cause the circus called and they want thier HEAD CLOWN BACK (thank god).... i'm leaning really hard toward voting for MARION LYNN.......

JJHawq 6 years, 12 months ago

Thanks Bob - That is CLASSIC! I'm shifting my support to Lee Mercer, Jr.

gogoplata 6 years, 12 months ago

Ron Paul - wouldn't it be nice to have a president who was his own man?

SettingTheRecordStraight 6 years, 12 months ago

Requiring valid photo identification to vote in order to reduce voter fraud is not a tax, logicsound. You want to call it a tax.

Americans need valid photo ID to board an airplane, enter a bar, use a credit card, buy alcohol and cigarettes, cash a check, re-enter our country after traveling abroad, etc. No one is complaining about the "tax" necessary to acquire these rights.

kansas778 6 years, 12 months ago

What logicsound doesn't want you to know is that there have been attempts to pass voter ID laws that would provide free IDs to those who couldn't afford them, but the democrats have fought to prevent any such laws from being passed on more and more ridiculous grounds. Just be honest and come out and say that you are really fighting for the rights of illegals, felons, and dead people to vote early and often for democrats.

staff04 6 years, 12 months ago

I want Romney to stand there and be pretty. I want Rudy to keep the memory of those lost on 9/11 alive. I want McCain to kick some ass and just tell people to fork off. I want to see how fat we can get Mike Huckabee in four years. I want Ron Paul so we can be even more embarrassed than we were in high school. I want Obama to make all the speeches. I want Kucinich to search for secret Area 51 records. I want Biden...no, don't want Biden...he's had enough camera time. I want Hillary to continue being cold and regurgitating her husbands ideas. I want Tancredo to go to war with Mexico...all by himself with only a pocket knife. I want Fred Thompson to help end the writers strike so he can get some better material.

devieh 6 years, 12 months ago

there is no law that requires you to have a valid id to use a cc according to visa's TOS it is illegal to accept a card that says see id and is also illegal to require identification.

gogoplata 6 years, 12 months ago

sunflower sue likes her politicians bought and paid for. You must be a big fan of the Iraq War.

canyon_wren 6 years, 12 months ago

I just know who I WON'T vote for. How can we choose before we know who the choices will be? I have been sick of it all and disgusted for far too long already. What a sideshow our elections have become! The chance that a truly qualified candidate with INTEGRITY will be nominated by EITHER party is so remote. Our only real "people power" is at the local level.

dajudge 6 years, 12 months ago

I would vote for Marilyn Vos Savant. Why don't we ever have intelligent people be our president? (Probably because they're smart enough not to run)

blackwalnut 6 years, 12 months ago

Kucinich is the righteous one. He cannot be bought. Huckabee is owned by the same neocon interests that own all the Republicans.

Kucinich could fix the mess Bush & Co. made of this once-great nation.

kansas778 6 years, 12 months ago

logicsound04 (Anonymous) says:

First, I have heard all sorts of rabble rousing about needing photo IDs to vote, but I can't remember seeing one of the photo requirement supporters suggest free IDs.

H.R. 4844 [109th]: Federal Election Integrity Act of 2006 See section 3:Making Photo Identification Available. Part (B): Identifications provided at no cost to indigent individuals

Your ignorance, either feigned or genuine, is a poor excuse.

I don't care what affiliation you claim, in Congress this is clearly a democrat vs republican issue, just look at the vote on the above bill (98% of Republicans supporting, 98% of Democrats opposing). You say voter fraud is perpetrated by both parties, yet the fact that only one party is actively trying to curtail it suggests that it inordinately favors the other party. I find it amusing that you are so naive as to think otherwise.

staff04 6 years, 12 months ago

You know, KS778, there are an awfully lot of extreme conservatives and libertarians who are opposed to ANY form of forced identification, right? I understand how you might be tempted to select a single vote on one bill 2 years ago to make something a "democrat vs republican issue," but ignoring all those libertarians and other extreme conservatives who are not members of Congress creates a faulty argument.

BTW, as a Democrat, and often liberal leaning, I support requiring ID for every man, woman and child who takes a breath in within the borders of this nation. What say you now?

lmpaul 6 years, 12 months ago

According to the cartoon Maxine: "Voting is like trying to pick your favorite misquito from the swarm." I agree and my least favorite is Hilary.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 12 months ago

"blackwalnut (Anonymous) says:

Kucinich could fix the mess Bush & Co. made of this once-great nation."

I'm not supporting Bush with this comment. I agree that things need fixing, but Kucinich couldn't even fix Cleveland...

sgtwolverine 6 years, 12 months ago

ohjay, who actually did fix Cleveland? It used to be completely unappealing, but now it's a place worth visiting. That's a major resume booster.

Oh, and I'm not saying that person should run for president. I'd rather have that person come up to Detroit. It would be nice to have a nice big city in Michigan.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 12 months ago

sgt - George Voinovich pretty much started the turn-around in Cleveland. He went on to be governor and is now one of our US Senators. I thought Detroit was starting to turn things around lately (especially around the new Tiger Stadium), have things stalled out somewhat?

ohjayhawk 6 years, 12 months ago

Michael White did a good job of continuing what Voinovich started, though. He ended up being the longest serving mayor of Cleveland. Unfortunately, there was some controversy around the end of his run. I've heard he's a pretty nice guy, though. He ended up buying some land a couple miles from my sister and brother-in-law (about 100 miles south of Cleveland). My brother-in-law had an opportunity to help him out with a small task once and said he was very nice and down to earth.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 12 months ago

ohjay, there actually are some positive things happening in Detroit. The Foxtown area (Comerica Park, Ford Field, Fox Theatre) draws people, they're finally developing parks along the river (instead of that horrendous idea of putting the casinos on the river), last year's grand prix on Belle Isle brought in some money for improvements to that park, and there are some sparks in downtown (Greektown is worth visiting, Campus Martius [the new Compuware headquarters] area is nice, and the outdoor skating rink has been popular). These improvements are great, and they've actually served to bring me to the city a couple times (Belle Isle over the summer, and Greektown just a couple weeks ago). But I'm still deeply skeptical about the people in charge of the city. I'm just not sure they're any different than the leaders that began and continued Detroit's decline. Some of the city council has been around for years -- bad years -- and the mayor seems to have a knack for scandal. I like the recent improvements and believe me, I really hope they continue, but I really have no faith in the city leadership' ability to sustain good things.

kansas778 6 years, 12 months ago

Staff--that's nice, and you can also find pro-life democrats and pro-choice republicans, but your assertion that "an aweful lot" don't agree is pointless. 98% of each party's representatives in Congress do agree, and until you provide a substantially differing result my claim stands. You are ignoring the evidence that the vast majority of elected republicans and democrats (you know, the ones who count) fall on opposite sides of this issue. What do I say now about your beliefs? Wow, one democrat thinks differently on one issue from the vast majority of democrats in the House. That proves a whole lot to absolutely no one.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 12 months ago

sgt - That's too bad. I think Cleveland got the ball rolling with the redevelopment of the Flats as an entertainment destination and then built the new baseball park. Things just started going from there. I'm not in Cleveland as much as I used to be (which wasn't a whole lot to begin with). I'm another 60 miles or so south of where I grew up. So, we're about 160 miles from Cleveland. I'd like to make it up to the Great Lakes Science Center and Rock and Roll HOF sometime, though.

kansas778 6 years, 12 months ago

LS04: I'm amused by the fact that you would call me naive while simultaneously assuming that the Republican's "actively trying to curtail [voter fraud]" proves that they don't ever attempt fraud

You need to change your name. If A then B does NOT prove if not A then not B. I did not say the republicans never attempt any voter fraud, only that such fraud favors the other party more so. You made a logical fallacy there; tsk, tsk, you need to study!

Corey Williams 6 years, 12 months ago

Try this:

I got Edwards at 55, with the only disagreement being on a line item veto. It basically just told me what I already know, but it's a good way to make sure.

devieh 6 years, 12 months ago

reticent irrevenerent your not ignorant are you?

blackwalnut 6 years, 12 months ago

What has the world come to, when people suggest the candidate whose overriding principal is to support the Constitution, who carries a copy around in his pocket, is too far to the left?

Since when is the Constitution respected only by the left?

Kucinich. Those who say he has no chance have been taught that by the MSM, and learned well.

hottruckinmama 6 years, 12 months ago

I'm sick and tired of the whole dang circus already and just might not vote for any of them.

Ceallach 6 years, 12 months ago

Well, I took mancityfooty's quiz and now I am almost totally confused. The candidates I thought I liked are not the ones the quiz says I should like. The only candidate I already knew about was Hillary, seems she and I only agree on the death penalty, certainly not enough to warrant one's vote.

Mkh 6 years, 12 months ago

There are only two real candidates for the People in this race. Ron Paul on the right, and Dennis Kucinich on the left. Everyone else is a Council on Foreign Relations member, or even worse, Trilateral Com. and/or Bilderberg Group. Which in simple terms means they are hard core Globalists.

If you don't believe in the Globalist agenda of the Elite Centeral Bankers and their puppets, then the choice is a dual between Paul and Kucinich. If you are a Globalist however...you have many more to choose from.

Ron Paul 2008!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSX_tgxOtyg http://www.youtube.com/RonPaul2008dotcom http://www.ronpaulnation.com/tv.html http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul-arch.html

Flap Doodle 6 years, 12 months ago

Google "ron paul" "don black". Fascinating stuff.

Mkh 6 years, 11 months ago

"Get over it & vote for Hillary!"

Is this a joke?

more_cowbell 6 years, 11 months ago

Hmmm... Christopher Walken... sophisticated, knows how to drink champagne with the diplomats, yet creepy enough to scare the dickens out of Iran...

...needs some work with the cue cards/Teleprompter, but other than that, I think he's ready to roll!

Mkh 6 years, 12 months ago

"The world is flat isn't it?"

Why, is that something you are worried about? It would probably be a good idea to stay out of boats just in case Reticent. Perhaps you should post a blog exploring the question.

Now back to the topic at hand. I'll say it again, there are two categories of candidates in the race, and it has nothing to do with Republicans and Democrats. Globalist vs. non-Globalist. Over the last half century the Globalists have been kicking some serious arse. Now the non-Globalists have a legitimate chance to stop that. Pick a side.

Eileen Emmi Jones 6 years, 12 months ago

I am a Kucinich supporter, but Edwards is a good second choice. Hillary is my last choice on the left.

Anyone but another neocon.

Mkh 6 years, 12 months ago

I know Reticent...I've read it, along with his other book on Globalization, "Lexus and the OliveTree". I was trying to humorous, apparently it failed.

EmJones...you do realize that Edwards is a Globalist and thus in opposite ideology of your first choice Kucinich? Obviously you are free to support Edwards if you want, but I just want you to be aware of exactly what you are supporting.

Hillary isn't a neocon?

devieh 6 years, 12 months ago

reticent, try to stop thinking for a second you are the only one who knows how to read. I am always reading- currently i'm finishing molly ivins and lou dubose's "bill of wrongs."

as mkh puts it there are two choices. the CFR/Tri-lateral choice or the american choice. vote kucinich or paul 2008. please choose america, unless you want your children to pledge allegiance to the north american union.

Mkh 6 years, 11 months ago

Fox News has officially excluded Ron Paul from their GOP New Hampshire Primary Debate scheduled two days before the primary!!!

They are very very scared over there at Fox that Paul is going to run the table with the rag doll Republican field and then destroy Fox's annointed candiate, Hillary Clinton.

Fox News is taking a huge gamble here, I mean seriously, do they think Americans are actually That Dumb? I know that most of society 'ain't two brite'...but come on, they are not brain dead rodents.

Ron Paul not only set the all time record for one day campaign donations but has raised more than any other GOP candidate this quarter (almost 20 Million!). Plus he not only wins every Fox News Debate poll, but every other one as well. Not to mention the most straw poll victories of any candidate. Fox News does stupid things every day, maybe hour...but this is terribly blatant, even for them.

I've already emailed every person at Fox News I could find to share my dissapointment in their attempt to corrupt the American election process.

"Fair and Balanced"

devieh 6 years, 11 months ago

i didn't email them i called everyone of them left a message for mr oreilly as well as the rest of them.

ask yourself, why is fox news censoring the GOP candidate with the most money raised this quarter?

they are scared. ron paul's message is freedom.

END THE WAR IN IRAQ INVEST IN OUR COUNTRY ABANDON THE FEDERAL RESERVE SAY NO TO AMNESTY SAY NO TO ILLEGAL INCOME TAXES RESTORE OUR CIVIL LIBERTIES AND THE RIGHT OF HABEAS CORPUS

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." - -- Mahatma Gandhi

Lawrencereader 6 years, 11 months ago

Enforcer, is this all you do all day? Sit around and make comments? Don't you have a life? You would think with all the "counseling" of Lawrence teens that you claim you do, you wouldn't have time to be on here constantly.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

Whoopie, the Tri-lateral commission has been invoked! Can the owls and the grove be far behind? I don't think so.

camper 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm not sure I like any of the candidates. But Ron Paul seems to make the most sense of any of them. Don't know much about him though.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

So did you go storming off to the barricades, Mkh?

devieh 6 years, 11 months ago

nope just typical neolib/neocon fare

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

camper, google "ron paul" + "don black".

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

RuPaul!

BTW, Mkh, did you get caught up this weekend in all the hooping & hollering about Fox not inviting Ron Paul to a debate on Jan 6? Turns out there was no such debate scheduled.

"I fear this might make us look bad if we don't make sure we KNOW what we're talking about."

Mkh 6 years, 11 months ago

This is probably the first time the AP has gotten a story wrong I'm sure Snap.

Keep trolling along....

blackwalnut 6 years, 11 months ago

Mkh:

The MSM blacklists Ron Paul just as they do Dennis Kucinich.

Corporations despise these two because these two cannot be bought.

Eileen Emmi Jones 6 years, 11 months ago

Mkh:

I never said Kucinich and Edwards are identical.

Both would be good for America. That said, Kucinich is my hands-down first choice.

Ron Paul has some excellent ideas, and with a Democratic Congress he would be able to destroy the bad parts of government that the neocons have handed to the corporate robbers. But after that, he'd destroy the libraries and schools too, and the field would be open for other robber barons to take over.

I'd take Ron Paul if he ran with Kucinich as a mitigating factor. Only then.

moo 6 years, 11 months ago

There is pretty much no point in picking a candidate now because we live in Kansas. Even if we have a presidential primary (which has only happened twice, in 1980 and 1992) I seriously doubt it will have any effect on who is nominated by either party.

There is pretty much no point in picking a candidate ever because we live in Kansas. Thanks to the electoral college and the fact that Kansas always goes Republican, a vote any other way might as well not even count.

Abolish the electoral college, it is outdated and undemocratic.

And yes, before anyone responds, I am feeling very bitter at the moment.

coneflower 6 years, 11 months ago

moo: We're all bitter. But a vote is still a statement. I intend to cast mine - for Kucinich.

These are strange times. We have a Democratic Congresswoman. Who knows what could happen.

moo 6 years, 11 months ago

Oh don't get me wrong, I'll vote for whichever candidate I like dislike the least in November. It's just going to feel like a pretty empty statement to me, unfortunately.

coneflower 6 years, 11 months ago

moo: Your comments support my contention that the electoral college has outlived its usefulness in this country.

moo 6 years, 11 months ago

The electoral college has LONG outlived its usefulness.

ksdivakat 6 years, 11 months ago

ok I asked this on another thread and didnt get a good answer, can anyone tell me what a "pinko" is and what is a "centrist?" And while the topic is who are we voting for I also need some clarification, as this will be the first presidential election ive voted in.....I always thought that the republicans were so the rich could get richer and the dems were for the poor people?? Now i should have been voting all along and paying attention, but the first president i can remember is old man Bush and honestly I didnt pay attention or think that my vote counted. Now i know that realyl my vote doesnt count but I am trying to educate myself so if anyone could tell me what those 2 words mean id appreciate it!

EXks 6 years, 11 months ago

Amazing isn't it, ANOTHER election year and we have another bunch of LOOSERS. They're all pimps!

Mkh 6 years, 11 months ago

For Snap (the Troll):

"ABC and Fox News Channel are narrowing the field of presidential candidates invited to debates this weekend just before the New Hampshire primary, in Fox's case infuriating supporters of Republican Ron Paul. The roster of participants for ABC's back-to-back, prime-time Republican and Democratic debates Saturday in New Hampshire will be determined after results of Thursday's Iowa caucus become clear.

Fox, meanwhile, has invited five GOP candidates to a forum with Chris Wallace scheduled for its mobile studio in New Hampshire on Sunday. Rudy Giuliani, Mike Huckabee, John McCain, Mitt Romney and Fred Thompson received invites, leaving Paul and Duncan Hunter on the sidelines." www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/20...

"Contrary to earlier reports, the Fox News Channel is hosting a Republican presidential candidate forum in New Hampshire, and, so far, Rep. Ron Paul has not been invited.

WND previously reported the event was canceled three weeks ago, but New Hampshire Republican Party Chairman Fergus Cullen confirmed today the forum is scheduled for Jan. 6.

The New Hampshire GOP is co-sponsoring the event, to be held at St. Anselm College in Goffstown, N.H., just two days before the crucial primary.

Candidates who have received invitations are former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Arizona Sen. John McCain, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson."

"Cullen said the New Hampshire Republican Party is negotiating with Fox News to have as many candidates as possible participate in the event.

"Limiting the number of candidates who are invited to participate in debates is not consistent with the tradition of the first in the nation primary," Cullen said in a statement today. "The level playing field requires that all candidates be given an equal opportunity to participate not just a select few determined by the media prior to any votes being cast."

Cullen said the New Hampshire Republican Party is calling "upon all media organizations planning pre-primary debates or forums for both parties to include all recognized major candidates in their events."

Paul said Saturday that Fox News is "scared of me."

They "don't want my message to get out, but it will," he told the Boston Globe's Primary Source blog. "They are propagandists for this war, and I challenge them on the notion that they are conservative." www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.as...

Mkh 6 years, 11 months ago

Death to Trolls!

"Fox, meanwhile, has invited five GOP candidates to a forum with Chris Wallace scheduled for its mobile studio in New Hampshire on Sunday. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Sen. Fred Thompson of Tennessee received invites, leaving Paul of Texas and Rep. Duncan Hunter of California on the sidelines." edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/31/debate.limits.ap/index.html

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

Mkh, it's about time the networks started doing some filtering.

Crossfire 6 years, 11 months ago

Achmed The Dead... ...as good as any of the other puppets running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go

blackwalnut 6 years, 11 months ago

Kucinich.

I will not let the MSM and the corporations decide who I should vote for. They decided who the nominees would be more than a year ago. I'm still voting my conscience.

When Kucinich wins a poll, you don't hear about it. The media did their best to blacklist him. They only mention him when they have found a way to put a negative spin on something.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

"When Kucinich wins a poll, you don't hear about it." Would you be so good as to post links to a couple of independent polls that Kucinich won?

antney 6 years, 11 months ago

Obama! All the way.

Obama is the best candidate who will finally unite this country.
All this partican bickering is brining us all down and gets nothing accomplished.

Lets pick a candidate who will unite us!

Barrack the Vote!

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 11 months ago

Antney, just curious, can you remember Obama's stand on ANY issue? He doesn't have any. When forced to come up with one he falters and stammers.

His moments of being a rock star will come crashing down around his ears if we are ever unfortunate enough to elect him president.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 11 months ago