Previous   Next

What is the most important thing on your Christmas tree?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 23, 2007

Browse the archives

“The angel on the top of our tree is a family heirloom. It was my great-grandmother’s. In fact, we fight over who gets to have it on their tree every year. It’s fun though, everyone gets to have it.”

“There’s this little rocking horse I made when I was in kindergarten with a bobble head and a little girl with pigtails on it.”

“There’s nothing too sentimental. I think the most important thing is the tree itself. It’s a shame we don’t keep them up all year to remind us to have that Christmas spirit all year round, not just on Dec. 25th.”

“I guess it’s the angel on top. We’ve had it for a very long time, and I collect angels anyway. It makes me feel like it’s watching over everything.”

Comments

PrincessConsuelaBananaHammock 7 years ago

The ornaments my daughter has made for us are the most special things on my tree - at my mom's house it's the ornaments my brother, sister, and I made that she still has after so many years - and the pictures of us with santa when we were little are fun since my dad always played the santa in our town and none of us ever figured out it was him.

H_Lecter 7 years ago

It's so hard to choose... The razor blades and shards of glass provide a lovely dramatic effect as they cry out to be fondled. But, the electrified barbed-wire is a fun surprise for children and pets. The small bottles of liquor are inviting for everyone.

Ah, the simple joys of Christmas, bring such a warm feeling...or maybe it's the egg nog...either way.

trinity 7 years ago

i have two treasures i bring out every year. one isn't a tree ornament, but rather a "me" ornament; it's a little santa pin made by my youngest angel when she was only 7 or 8 years old! santa made from a cinnamon stick! :) and the other is a tree ornament dated 1982; an ornament that has my oldest two angel's pictures on it from when they were wee ones.

Richard Heckler 7 years ago

The family handmade ornaments. This year we added LED lighting which puts off some very beautiful light and the bulbs do not get hot....barely warm is more like it. So there is a safer feeling and we are burning less energy.

Enjoy the Holidays!

canyon_wren 7 years ago

I suppose there's no need for "significant" questions on Sunday, since most of the regular posters probably don't check OTS that day, but it surely seems to me like the questions are getting more and more "so what?" You can look through all the other headlines and think of a question for many of them that would be a bit thought-provoking. It is no wonder people like H_Lecter and others can't resist posting the things they do--mostly very facetious.

All the stuff on my tree means a lot to me, but no one else would really care what I liked on MY tree!

jumpin_catfish 7 years ago

Items our kids made in school some 20 years old. Good memories!

jonas 7 years ago

No Christmas tree this year. In most years, the most important thing on the tree tended to not be on the tree anymore. With four cats, its difficult to maintain a Christmas tree's ornamental integrity.

Dixie Jones 7 years ago

the most important thing is the star on the top it was my mothers when she was a child when i got married she handed it to me , its plastic blue and covered in alum foil , not the most pretty thing but it is something that i treasure , more now than ever my mom just passed away last month and when i look at that star it reminds me of her so much.

jonas 7 years ago

Sue: Ha! If going that route, though, I'd have to say that the trunk is more important than the branches. A Christmas trunk would still be pole-ish (polish?) and would at least stand straight. Branches without a trunk, though, would just be all over the ground. Or maybe a wreath, I guess.

canyon_wren 7 years ago

You're right, R-I--I was thinking in terms of relatively trivial and personal decorations.

I always turn my tree on first thing in the morning before it is light and enjoy the magic of it. I have always known it had pagan origins, though I hadn't read that part in Jeremiah--thanks for that information!

I have tried to imagine what it COULD represent for me, as far as the Christmas story goes, and so I associate the spectacle of the bright lights in a darkened room with how the angels must have looked to the shepherds.

trinity 7 years ago

i wanted to offer a cyberhug to peaches also...my mama passed away in early november. thanksgiving was reeeaaallllyyyy emotional for me/us, as was my birthday in early december. sigh i just miss her so much, as i know you miss your mom and py as you miss your dad. py you're so right on-the wonderful sweet silly fun memories of mom get me through.

Kat Christian 7 years ago

2 ornaments from my childhood - bought the year I was born - they will be handed down to my daughter. Also ornaments made by my children and grandchildren and my crystal icecycles.

Bobbi Reid 7 years ago

I have a few that my parents passed down to me from Germany.. I also have a manger that is about 40 years old, and it was handmade in Germany as well. I also treasure all of the things my kids have made over the years too!

GretchenJP 7 years ago

All of the ornaments are important or they wouldn't be on our tree.

canyon_wren 7 years ago

I have two boxes of twelve ornaments (each) on my tree that we got in December 1961, the first Christmas after we were married. We bought them at Woolworth's in downtown Lawrence--99 cents for the large ones and 88 cents for the medium-sized ones. They are very precious to me. Lots of memories of lots of different trees in different places across the country, mixed in with my decorations.

geekin_topekan 7 years ago

The stand is the most important in my opinion.It keeps it from falling over.Otherwise i would have to lean it against the wall and that would be tacky.