Previous   Next

What is your favorite Christmas memory?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 22, 2007

Browse the archives

“The first time I saw it snow on Christmas. I grew up in California, so it wasn’t until I was about 30 years old.”

“When I got a Game Boy. I was in fourth grade and they just came out. It’s not very sentimental, but I was really excited.”

“Cutting down a cedar tree with my father when we lived out in the country, and then trimming it down so it would fit in the living room.”

“I remember when I was in second grade, I got an electric race track. I couldn’t have been happier.”

Comments

conservativepunker 7 years ago

Third grade, Lionel Train set with an incredible layout. Wonderful.

Kathy Getto 7 years ago

Christmas with my Grandmother, waking up to her playing the piano, creating and performing skits for the family, and the rare glass of Pepsi with a maraschino cherry. Sure miss her.

ms_canada 7 years ago

Lots of memories. A favourite??? Maybe it was the ever present,(at Christmas only) of the jigsaw puzzle that my Mom and all of us would work on over the holiday. I am a puzzle person and have an open letter to pywacket and all other affionados of crossword puzzles. PY - I opened my Toronto Globe and Mail this am and turned to the puzzle section and what did my wondering eyes spy but the mother of all puzzles. It measures 13 1/2 inches square, the across clues number 604 and the downs 589. Can you believe it!!!! And I have only one week to fill it in before the solution appears next Sat. I will never do it, but I will try. The jigsaw puzzle I bought will have to stay in the box for a while. PY - have you ever seen a puzzle that large? Or anyone?

dajudge 7 years ago

When I was maybe 9 or 10yrs. old and looked out the front window and it had snowed and I could see what I thought were reindeer tracks in the snow on the front yard. They were probably just deer tracks, but I had an imagination to go with them. And if there were reindeer around, there must have been some old fat guy in a red suit nearby, too.

ms_canada 7 years ago

PY - I don't have a lot of time to do this monster today but have looked at it. My methodology is to go down the list and fill in the absolutely certain spaces. Then go back. The certain clues help with the others. The level of difficulty so far does not seem too bad. Biblical Jacob's twin he crowned himself emperor in 1804 cowboy event murder on the -------- express I WANT TO WISH YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY CHRISTMAS AND ALL THE BEST IN THE NEW YEAR CHEERS

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

ms_c, a few years ago for Christmas, my parents gave me a giant crossword puzzle. And when I say giant, I mean it -- I don't remember the exact dimension, but it's rectangular, and I'd guess it's 5 or 6 feet wide. The clues came in a book.

I haven't pulled it out in a while, but I'll see if I can find it to get the dimensions.

Ceallach 7 years ago

RI, what a romantic rascal you are!!!

I too love crossword puzzles but haven't had a lot of time to do them lately, I'll just make that a New Year's resolution . . . take more time for crossword puzzles (that's one I might have a chance of keeping :)

Favorite Christmas memory? My 10th Christmas my grandparents gave me a Cinderella watch, elegantly packaged in a lovely glass carriage. They were the best g'parents ever!! My grandparents are gone now, as are most of my aunts and uncles, so now my favorite memories involve Christmas dinners when we were all together.

MD, my thoughts and best wishes are with you. It is my hope that the peace and hope of the season will help you pass through this difficult time into brighter days.

dminear60 6 years, 12 months ago

RI, what a lovely story. Happy Holidays!

ms_canada 6 years, 12 months ago

sgt - I don't believe it, I would love to see that thing. Did you ever finish it? I hope the solution came with it. I wish you a very happy christmas, sgt. I hope someone gives you a gift as good as that crossword. Of course, no gift can top the one that Jesus gave us. God bless all of you.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 12 months ago

Has to be when we were putting down a new floor and the hubby and I didn't want the hastle of a Christmas tree indoors. He cut a cedar and we put it out on the deck so that we could see it through the sliding doors. We did put lights on it but no other decorations. That night it snowed, and the lights shining through the snow on the tree was amazingly beautiful.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 12 months ago

Ms_C, you can sometimes get those giganto-sized crossword puzzles at bookstores. (I, too, am a crossword junkie!)

Joe Hyde 6 years, 12 months ago

When I was seven I got a Daisy Red Rider BB-gun, along with instructions by an expert shooter (my uncle) on how to use it safely. Plinked and hunted sparrows with it until I was a teenager. I can still hear the rattle inside those cardboard tubes that BBs were sold in. And the wrinkle of the little plastic pouches that smaller amounts of BBs were sold in.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 12 months ago

ms_c, I never even got close to finishing it. In fact, I never got a lot done. I'm not particularly great at crossword puzzles, and it seemed to have a decent degree of difficulty (for me), so I didn't make a lot of progress. But maybe I should pull it out again; that was a while ago, so maybe I'll be able to make more progress now.

As far as a good Christmas gift goes ... well, a great one would be a regular stream of customers for my business. But more realistically, since I put them on my list, I suspect I'll receive a few pretty good gifts in the form of DVD sets of old tv shows. Hawaii Five-0, A-Team, Knight Rider, Bob Newhart, Magnum P.I. ... shows like that. I do enjoy those at least as much (and probably a bit more) than the vast majority of current shows. Does that make me sound old?

H_Lecter 6 years, 12 months ago

Sometimes there would be a Christmas party upstairs and crumbs would fall through the floorboards. I felt so blessed to receive those crumbs at the orphanage.

pomegranate 6 years, 12 months ago

The Christmas just after I turned 12 and was in 7th grade I got a bicycle. It was great. Then, the next year, I got that new singer's records--You ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog, and Don't be Cruel. Along with a record player. We always went to my Grandmother's house-she was Norweigan- and had lefse, fruit soup, a wonderful seafood casserole, and other things, and her "to die for" spritz cookies. Now I am the grandmother, and I simply don't seem able to live up to my recollections of my own Grandmother. Nana you were the greatest!!!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 12 months ago

sgt, no, that doesn't make you sound old...you would sound old if you watched "old" TV shows like "The Beverly Hillbillies," "Petticoat Junction (sp?)," and "Green Acres." (Those are the "old" shows that I watched as a kid!) :OP~

GretchenJP 6 years, 12 months ago

All the memories of mom and I buying a new ornament for our tree every year, it was our tradition.