Previous   Next

Do you think you will spend more or less during this holiday season than last year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 21, 2007

Browse the archives

“I will spend less. But I don’t think it’s in the amount you spend as much as the idea or thought behind the gift you give.”

“More. I didn’t spend anything last year, because I didn’t celebrate last year at all. This year, I’m more grateful and more interested in other people’s happiness.”

“Less. I don’t have a whole lot of money to spend, and neither do my friends. So we decided not to exchange gifts this year.”

“Probably about the same. We’re not going anywhere, so that helps us spend more on other things around the holidays.”

Comments

ohjayhawk 7 years ago

Probably just a little less this year.

R_I - that sounds like a gift my one grandmother would give... at least she would give us pencils to go along with the paper, though! LOL

janeyb 7 years ago

Less. We decided as there are no young children in the family to just draw names and buy one person a decent gift, instead of a several people cheap crap.

juscin3 7 years ago

Gives R_I 3 pencils and 3 erasers.
Hands out a Klondike bar to everyone that posts :) MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :)

H_Lecter 7 years ago

Since it's Christmas, maybe I'll open the basement door and let someone go....on the other hand, maybe I'll give them a companion...It's all about giving.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years ago

About the same...which is not very much. Bah. Humbug.

blackwalnut 7 years ago

I always try to scale down, then the Christmas spirit bites at the last moment and there I am, spending more on gifts every year.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

H_L, hahahaha!

Probably more. Still, I try to keep the spending down. I try to do as many homemade gifts as I can. (You know, plastic canvas tissue holders and such.)

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

R_I, I read that out-loud to my momma (it's her birthday) and it was probably the best gift I've ever given her. Thanks for the opportunity of re-gifting. :):):)

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

Liquor and ammo are not that much more expensive this year.

sissezz 7 years ago

Im giving eveyone I know a cold...........thats the ultimate regift!

JJHawq 7 years ago

We can't afford gifts for our boys this year, so we're just cutting holes in the pockets of their pants.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Definitely less.

Last year: steady paycheck. This year: new business.

Ceallach 7 years ago

A little more. Only because a grandson-in-law was added to our family this year. I'm battling myself to stay within the budget (maybe this year I will win :)

dajudge 7 years ago

I'm in the same boat as sgtwolverine, in fact, so much less that it will be nothing at all. And last year was about the same. I 'll make a nice dinner and that will be it.

ms_canada 7 years ago

So far I have spent a lot of time preparing for the big celebration. But the larder is now full. There is a lovely big goose, also a nice plump turkey, carrot puddings are in the fridge, Frozen Daiquiri Souffle in the freezer, supplies for Christmas morning Wife Saver are stocked. So, yes I guess I have spent a little more time so far this year.

ms_canada 7 years ago

OH and also spent a lot of time making an old favourite that I neglected in the last few years but was coaxed into making this year. It is my own Orange Liqueur. I don't really like it but the gang does. I put a bottle of good brandy into a two quart canning sealer. I add 1 1/2 cups sugar. stir. Get an orange that will fit down the neck of the jar whole, put a string through the orange to hang it by. Punch a bunch of shallow holes in the skin to let the little drops of oil escape into the brandy. Hang it above the brandy for 5 days. Gently turn the jar each day to knock the drops of oil off the orange. After 5 days change to a new orange and hang it for five days. by that time the sugar will have dissolved and your Faux Grande Marnier will be ready to drink with your Christmas pudding. Some like in their coffee.

JJHawq 7 years ago

thanks ms canada. that is a quality idea.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

dajudge, a nice dinner is worth a lot in my book.

Staci Dark Simpson 7 years ago

Much less. Our mortgage adjusted. But...we have food on the table, a warm house, a decent car so essentially we are doing good. I have been making candles this year which seem to burn better and smell stronger than store bought ones. plus its fun!!

GretchenJP 7 years ago

I've already spent more but I'm glad to be fortunate enough to do so. I love buying presents for people.

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

sunny-sue, you should've received mrs. gnome's big recipe in the e-mail the other day. hope you like that stuffing, we do.

slight increase...only slight and funds are tight

commenter on the street Hrabe, welcome and join the christmas spirit Merry Christmas to you and yours!

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

mr. lecter, I am so impressed with your giving spirit. perhaps you could turn your basement into an auxiliary-LINK? yay.

gretch: any luck on that darned pony? I had a pony when I was in 7th grade, it was a good thing. anybody wants to give me a pony now...well that's just fine but only have lawn grass for her to feed on.

GretchenJP 7 years ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says:

"gretch: any luck on that darned pony? I had a pony when I was in 7th grade, it was a good thing. anybody wants to give me a pony now:well that's just fine but only have lawn grass for her to feed on."

It tasted like chicken, gnome.

Ceallach 7 years ago

May not hear from the at-work posters, soooo, all y'all have a very Merry Christmas!!!

kcwarpony 7 years ago

"gretch: any luck on that darned pony?"

"It tasted like chicken, gnome."

EEEgads!! What did I just step into...?

Anywho, spending about the same this year but I never spend a whole lot anyways. It's the thought that counts, right? I try for small personal gifts, not big and flashy. Of course, everyone thinks I'm cheap...and I'm okay with that...

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

wow, Gretch, you figgered out how to prevent a prolipheration of profidious road apples plopping from pamona to paola.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

i am ending up spending more for Christmas this year, since half of my purchases were stolen from my car a couple of nights ago. I must have forgotten to lock the car, and someone popped the trunk. I didn't have expensive things, but they did take the "big" present I had for each of my girls. I am mad at myself for making such a mistake.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

gnome, Yes! I received that yummy looking recipe. You and Mrs. Gnome must have quite the spread on holidays. (I seem to be drooling again!) Haven't had tons of time to write lately, but I'll send you an off-OTS letter soon.

Merry Christmas All!

Kathy Getto 7 years ago

It is not about the money spent - but the time spent with the grandkids!