Previous   Next

Do you think you will spend more or less during this holiday season than last year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 21, 2007

Browse the archives

“I will spend less. But I don’t think it’s in the amount you spend as much as the idea or thought behind the gift you give.”

“More. I didn’t spend anything last year, because I didn’t celebrate last year at all. This year, I’m more grateful and more interested in other people’s happiness.”

“Less. I don’t have a whole lot of money to spend, and neither do my friends. So we decided not to exchange gifts this year.”

“Probably about the same. We’re not going anywhere, so that helps us spend more on other things around the holidays.”

Comments

Kathy Getto 6 years, 3 months ago

It is not about the money spent - but the time spent with the grandkids!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

gnome, Yes! I received that yummy looking recipe. You and Mrs. Gnome must have quite the spread on holidays. (I seem to be drooling again!) Haven't had tons of time to write lately, but I'll send you an off-OTS letter soon.

Merry Christmas All!

mom_of_three 6 years, 3 months ago

i am ending up spending more for Christmas this year, since half of my purchases were stolen from my car a couple of nights ago. I must have forgotten to lock the car, and someone popped the trunk. I didn't have expensive things, but they did take the "big" present I had for each of my girls. I am mad at myself for making such a mistake.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

wow, Gretch, you figgered out how to prevent a prolipheration of profidious road apples plopping from pamona to paola.

kcwarpony 6 years, 3 months ago

"gretch: any luck on that darned pony?"

"It tasted like chicken, gnome."

EEEgads!! What did I just step into...?

Anywho, spending about the same this year but I never spend a whole lot anyways. It's the thought that counts, right? I try for small personal gifts, not big and flashy. Of course, everyone thinks I'm cheap...and I'm okay with that...

Ceallach 6 years, 3 months ago

May not hear from the at-work posters, soooo, all y'all have a very Merry Christmas!!!

GretchenJP 6 years, 3 months ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says:

"gretch: any luck on that darned pony? I had a pony when I was in 7th grade, it was a good thing. anybody wants to give me a pony now:well that's just fine but only have lawn grass for her to feed on."

It tasted like chicken, gnome.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

mr. lecter, I am so impressed with your giving spirit. perhaps you could turn your basement into an auxiliary-LINK? yay.

gretch: any luck on that darned pony? I had a pony when I was in 7th grade, it was a good thing. anybody wants to give me a pony now...well that's just fine but only have lawn grass for her to feed on.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 3 months ago

sunny-sue, you should've received mrs. gnome's big recipe in the e-mail the other day. hope you like that stuffing, we do.

slight increase...only slight and funds are tight

commenter on the street Hrabe, welcome and join the christmas spirit Merry Christmas to you and yours!

GretchenJP 6 years, 3 months ago

I've already spent more but I'm glad to be fortunate enough to do so. I love buying presents for people.

curioso 6 years, 3 months ago

Damn you Scribner, for moving the mixer where it is totally unuseable..not to mention everything else you moved and now it's GONE. Where did my things go? Weapons, children's expensive toys?? They are just GONE, not in the house?

curioso 6 years, 3 months ago

Wolverine..sorry things are "not regular and stable" right now. I'll be thinking of you through the holidays. You have given us much joy, knowing you, seeing your work.

Spacystaci8..yes, aren't homemade candles so much better..just adding the scent... knowing you can have one pan just for making candles that your mom can't get you in trouble for LOL. it can last in the house a long time. When going to garage sales, I found some of the 70's candle making kits that I remembered..the owls, etc. What a memory. If anyone had them ,THEY remember and know exactly what I'm talking about LOL LOL. Add a LOT of bayberry!

Today..I had quit drinking for a long time..health issues, not much has been done around here. Today I bought some vodka. It's AMAZING at what I can do when I'm not limited to my injuries. The alcohol numbs the pain, and I'm getting a lot done that hasn't been done for a long time. A shameful thought for those of us who have Stopped. But I'm discovering my abilities stopped too. Nothing like a non-prescription pain ignorer, like alcohol, to let one get busy and catch up on things he needs to!!! Merry Christmas to all!!!! Truly adore you all, you LJW posters! (Okay, NOT Kathy Gragg, may she ----- in -----!!)

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years, 3 months ago

Much less. Our mortgage adjusted. But...we have food on the table, a warm house, a decent car so essentially we are doing good. I have been making candles this year which seem to burn better and smell stronger than store bought ones. plus its fun!!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

dajudge, a nice dinner is worth a lot in my book.

JJHawq 6 years, 3 months ago

thanks ms canada. that is a quality idea.

easy_mark 6 years, 3 months ago

Sounds delightful, wish I had people to make it for. A recipe worth mentioning...

Betty Crocker's Williamsburg Orange Cake. Takes extra ingredients, but SO worth the trouble. I've made it a few times before, and it's something people say..are you going to make that special orange cake again? There was NOTHING like it.

bobberboy 6 years, 3 months ago

I think I'm in love with ms_canada.

ms_canada 6 years, 3 months ago

OH and also spent a lot of time making an old favourite that I neglected in the last few years but was coaxed into making this year. It is my own Orange Liqueur. I don't really like it but the gang does. I put a bottle of good brandy into a two quart canning sealer. I add 1 1/2 cups sugar. stir. Get an orange that will fit down the neck of the jar whole, put a string through the orange to hang it by. Punch a bunch of shallow holes in the skin to let the little drops of oil escape into the brandy. Hang it above the brandy for 5 days. Gently turn the jar each day to knock the drops of oil off the orange. After 5 days change to a new orange and hang it for five days. by that time the sugar will have dissolved and your Faux Grande Marnier will be ready to drink with your Christmas pudding. Some like in their coffee.

ms_canada 6 years, 3 months ago

So far I have spent a lot of time preparing for the big celebration. But the larder is now full. There is a lovely big goose, also a nice plump turkey, carrot puddings are in the fridge, Frozen Daiquiri Souffle in the freezer, supplies for Christmas morning Wife Saver are stocked. So, yes I guess I have spent a little more time so far this year.

easy_mark 6 years, 3 months ago

Just found a UPS package on my front door, perishable. NO TELLING how many days it has been there, thank goodness it is cold.

News, http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071221/ap_on_he_me/fentanyl_warning

GIVE ME THE PATCHES (g) IV fentanyl only lasts for for 1 hour 45 minutes, but is too often prescribed post surgery for every four hours. Ever learn this from anes. consult that it can be given to a child every two hours, but it's nighttime, your child is SCREAMING in pain, at the end of 1:45 to the next 4 hour mark? I almost carried the child out of Children's Mercy to take him to Wichita to a previous doctor, because the "night rehab" doctors didn't care to respond. (In the am, the regular staff of surgeon's right arm nurses showed up and said, oh yes, every two hours should have been done!)

AAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH

I'd like to hear from anyone, if they have been in the presence of the patch, and it's performance for them.

bobberboy 6 years, 3 months ago

I think probably a whole lot more. NOT !! HaHa got you marketing types didn't I.

easy_mark 6 years, 3 months ago

Blue harley.. ROFLMAO

Also, I can't get back to dave's thread on old things in Lawrence...yesterday or maybe today, I'm up all night and can't tell the difference. If anyone can find it, please link to it on here, I want to email old Lawrence residents for X-mas, so they can recall all too!

dajudge 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm in the same boat as sgtwolverine, in fact, so much less that it will be nothing at all. And last year was about the same. I 'll make a nice dinner and that will be it.

Ceallach 6 years, 3 months ago

A little more. Only because a grandson-in-law was added to our family this year. I'm battling myself to stay within the budget (maybe this year I will win :)

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

Definitely less.

Last year: steady paycheck. This year: new business.

JJHawq 6 years, 3 months ago

We can't afford gifts for our boys this year, so we're just cutting holes in the pockets of their pants.

sissezz 6 years, 3 months ago

Im giving eveyone I know a cold...........thats the ultimate regift!

blue73harley 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm giving everyone gift certificates from Buckys and the Mass Street Deli.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 3 months ago

Liquor and ammo are not that much more expensive this year.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

R_I, I read that out-loud to my momma (it's her birthday) and it was probably the best gift I've ever given her. Thanks for the opportunity of re-gifting. :):):)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

H_L, hahahaha!

Probably more. Still, I try to keep the spending down. I try to do as many homemade gifts as I can. (You know, plastic canvas tissue holders and such.)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 3 months ago

ohjayhawk, The devil spawn have pencils.

For the spousal unit I will give prose...

Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes within thy locks: thy hair is as a flock of goats, that appear from mount Gilead. Thy teeth are like a flock of sheep that are even shorn, which came up from the washing; whereof every one bear twins, and none is barren among them. Thy lips are like a thread of scarlet, and thy speech is comely: thy temples are like a piece of a pomegranate within thy locks. Thy neck is like the tower of David builded for an armoury, whereon there hang a thousand bucklers, all shields of mighty men. Thy two breasts are like two young roes that are twins, which feed among the lilies. Until the day break, and the shadows flee away, I will get me to the mountain of myrrh, and to the hill of frankincense. Thou art all fair, my love; there is no spot in thee.

blackwalnut 6 years, 3 months ago

I always try to scale down, then the Christmas spirit bites at the last moment and there I am, spending more on gifts every year.

prospector 6 years, 3 months ago

Yes, since I don't recall what I spent last year.

JJE007 6 years, 3 months ago

About the same...which is not very much. Bah. Humbug.

H_Lecter 6 years, 3 months ago

Since it's Christmas, maybe I'll open the basement door and let someone go....on the other hand, maybe I'll give them a companion...It's all about giving.

juscin3 6 years, 3 months ago

Gives R_I 3 pencils and 3 erasers.
Hands out a Klondike bar to everyone that posts :) MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :)

janeyb 6 years, 3 months ago

Less. We decided as there are no young children in the family to just draw names and buy one person a decent gift, instead of a several people cheap crap.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 3 months ago

Probably just a little less this year.

R_I - that sounds like a gift my one grandmother would give... at least she would give us pencils to go along with the paper, though! LOL

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 3 months ago

Less. 3 Big Chief tablets and thats it. It's the thought that counts.

easy_mark 6 years, 3 months ago

OMG - off topic, just thought all who chimed in on the teacher offense might want to look at this.