Previous   Next

Does your family have any traditional holiday dishes?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 19, 2007

Browse the archives

“Christmas cut-out sugar cookies, and we drink Santa Claus Coca-Cola while we drive around looking at Christmas lights.”

“Persimmon pudding. I’m originally from Arkansas where they grow, so it’s something we always made.”

“I would have to say barbecue. We always do the turkey thing for Thanksgiving, so we barbecue for a change of pace.”

“Just honey baked ham and the usual spread with lots of desserts.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

Brrrrrraaaaaaaiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnns!!!!!!!!!!

trinity 7 years, 8 months ago

dammit blue ya stole my wit this morning! ;)

my bebe's cheezygoodness potato dish has somehow become a holiday mainstay dish. go figure, a bag of frozen hash browns& a few other things would turn in to such a tradition! :)

trinity 7 years, 8 months ago

lol, yup tob you got it! my babygirl just adores those things...and they go well with just about any main dish!

Ceallach 7 years, 8 months ago

My family pretty much tries to have one dish of every type of food known to mankind. We then go veg out at a movie, return to the house and do it all again. Of course, following the feeding frenzy, we declare that next year we are going to cut back on the amount of food we prepare:)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

Don't tell me no one noticed that Jim Henson answered today.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 8 months ago

And with a persimmon pie, straight out of a Muppet skit.....

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

My husband is of Ukrainian descent and their Christmas Eve tradition is a meal of 12 (for the 12 apostles) meatless dishes. So some sort of fish is the main item accompanied by the ubiquitous perogies and holubtsi, dumplings and cabbage rolls. This year I am going to barbeque a split whole coho salmon which I will marinate in soy sauce and garlic. I will make a big pot of mushrooms in gravy, a cornmeal casserole, a casserole of kasha, (buckwheat groats), carrot casserole, broccoli salad, pickled beets, cabbage salad, mince tarts and gingerbread cookies. I think that make 12 items, Lots of work and I think this is the last year I will do this. If the kids want to continue the tradition, they will have to take over the duty because I have to make the Christmas day dinner also. That is the usual goose and turkey, stuffing, mash pot. veg. salad, and two desserts, plum type carrot pudding and a Frozen Daiquire Souffle that is to die for. So, I need to cut out something here or I will be too exhausted to enjoy anything myself. One would think that Christmas is all about eating, :o) What about Jesus!!!!

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 8 months ago

This is bothering me. Wouldn't a persimmon pie have the consistency of fresh oysters? Once you bake a persimmon, there can't be much backbone left.

deskboy04 7 years, 8 months ago

It used to be Bucky's pork tenderloin sandwiches...

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 8 months ago

ahhhh rereading persimon pudding...now I get it....

BorderRat 7 years, 8 months ago

tob, in my house we call them "favorite potatoes." Best stuff ever.

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

Can anyone supply the recipe for those cheesy favourite potatoes. I am not too big a fan of the humble tater, but that might change my mind.

ms_canada 7 years, 8 months ago

trinity - my friend Hazel always brings a potaoe casserole to pot luck dinners. It is made with hash browns and she calls it Swarty Potatoes. funny name but good taste.

chapdaddy 7 years, 8 months ago

My wife likes my schweddy balls.......

Prime Rib, mashed taters, and corn. Loaded w/gravy.

Cheesy Potato Recipe: Hash browns. can o'cream of chicken soup, chopped onion, 1 tub of sour cream w/chives, shredded cheese, crushed corn flakes on top. Bake @ 350 for an hr. You can get greedy and add some butter or garlic to the mix if you like.

trinity 7 years, 8 months ago

well ms canada, i'll be happy to send you my recipe! :) i'll email thru the board.

trinity 7 years, 8 months ago

just sent, let me know if you don't get it! and enjoy, these things are tongue-slappin'-your mouth silly gooooooooood! :)

Crossfire 7 years, 8 months ago

Spinach pasta deep fried in a cone shape with maraschino cherries and confetti sprinkles. Eat a sweet greasy tree.

janeyb 7 years, 8 months ago

What makes me think Jimmie of the persimmon pudding is business in the front and party in the back?