Previous   Next

How long do you usually wash your hands?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 18, 2007

Browse the archives

“About seven seconds, or as quickly as possible so I can get back to work.”

“Like 20 seconds. I’ve heard you’re supposed to sing ‘Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star,’ but I just wash them until I’m done.”

“Until I can finish singing ‘Happy Birthday.’”

“Probably like 10. I know you’re supposed to sing the ‘Happy Birthday’ song while you wash them, but I don’t.”

Comments

sunflower_sue 6 years, 8 months ago

Lately, a lot longer than I used to! Then, I wipe down all the counters with sanitizing wipes, then Purell the heck out of my hands. (I'm not really a mental case...just trying to keep some people healthy.) :) OK, maybe I'm also a mental case...

sgtwolverine 6 years, 8 months ago

I once saw a sign that said, "Employees must wash your hands." I waited for a while, but no employee ever showed up to wash my hands; I was disappointed.

Who here remembers those nifty gadgets called "immune systems"?

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 8 months ago

Until the guilt is gone. Or Erin Ross starts knocking on the door.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 8 months ago

Since I started wearing a Level 5 Containment suit all day every day, I only wash my hands when I remove the suit before going to bed.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 8 months ago

R_I, I'm not saying we needn't wash our hands; I'm just saying maybe we've gotten a bit too germophobic. I was in a restaurant today, and they had the State of Michigan's hand washing guidelines posted (primarily intended for employees, I think), and the guidelines were such that if they were followed seriously, you could find yourself washing your hands upwards of 20 times a day. I just can't shake the feeling that we're trying to make the world just a little bit too clean.

Crossfire 6 years, 8 months ago

They are my hands, and I will wash them as long and as fast as I want!!!

gccs14r 6 years, 8 months ago

I wash them until they can be made no cleaner in that session, then rinse until soap residue can no longer be felt. Some washings take longer than others.