Previous   Next

How long do you usually wash your hands?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 18, 2007

Browse the archives

“About seven seconds, or as quickly as possible so I can get back to work.”

“Like 20 seconds. I’ve heard you’re supposed to sing ‘Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star,’ but I just wash them until I’m done.”

“Until I can finish singing ‘Happy Birthday.’”

“Probably like 10. I know you’re supposed to sing the ‘Happy Birthday’ song while you wash them, but I don’t.”

Comments

gccs14r 6 years, 4 months ago

I wash them until they can be made no cleaner in that session, then rinse until soap residue can no longer be felt. Some washings take longer than others.

Crossfire 6 years, 4 months ago

They are my hands, and I will wash them as long and as fast as I want!!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

Yum. Venison gyros... I washed my hands well before starting and after slicing Bambi into thin strips.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 4 months ago

Long enough to get off the blood!

Out, damned spot!

Pywacket 6 years, 4 months ago

Gretchen~ My thoughts exactly! Looks like he could've been on The Sopranos, too.

I wash and wash and avail myself of all the perfumes of Arabia, but still cannot sweeten these little hands..

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

R_I, I'm not saying we needn't wash our hands; I'm just saying maybe we've gotten a bit too germophobic. I was in a restaurant today, and they had the State of Michigan's hand washing guidelines posted (primarily intended for employees, I think), and the guidelines were such that if they were followed seriously, you could find yourself washing your hands upwards of 20 times a day. I just can't shake the feeling that we're trying to make the world just a little bit too clean.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 4 months ago

"I just wash them until I'm done.""

Same here!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

Since I started wearing a Level 5 Containment suit all day every day, I only wash my hands when I remove the suit before going to bed.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 4 months ago

Until the guilt is gone. Or Erin Ross starts knocking on the door.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

sgt, Just asking for clarification. Are you saying that people don't need to wash their hands because the have immune systems? Or are you saying without a few challenges, the immune system gets lazy and weak? I am not certain which of those two points you were trying to make. But I know what two points I try to live by...

Number one, wash your hands. Number two, definitely wash your hands.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

I once saw a sign that said, "Employees must wash your hands." I waited for a while, but no employee ever showed up to wash my hands; I was disappointed.

Who here remembers those nifty gadgets called "immune systems"?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

Lately, a lot longer than I used to! Then, I wipe down all the counters with sanitizing wipes, then Purell the heck out of my hands. (I'm not really a mental case...just trying to keep some people healthy.) :) OK, maybe I'm also a mental case...