Previous   Next

What are some of your family’s holiday traditions?

Browse the archives

“We always meet up at my grandma’s house for Christmas dinner.”

“We always put Norwegian flags on our Christmas tree.”

“We always tape our family opening presents from youngest to oldest.”

“We get the family together so we can all help set up our Christmas tree.”

“We always only light one candle on first night of Hanukkah, and then we don’t light any more.”

“We go up north to Mayetta to my cousin’s.”

“Our whole family gets together to help cook Christmas dinner, and then after dinner we open presents.”

“At 9 or 10 p.m. we drive around and look at everyone’s Christmas lights, and then we get some hot chocolate.”

Comments

H_Lecter 7 years ago

Guessing what kind of meat they're eating. Seeing who can get untied first....just the typical family traditions.

trinity 7 years ago

it varies. but one ongoing commonality-peanut butter balls. i'd be an outcast mum if i didn't make 'em! :)

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years ago

fussin' and fightin'...

...except on Colubus day, when we let the monkeys out of their barrel...which is no fun until they're returned.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Eggs Benedict that the mom-in-law makes on Christmas morning. All other EB pales in camparison. She has ruined me for eating it anywhere else. (Oops! I seem to be salivating.)

pimp11 7 years ago

whats up with people spelling COLUMBUS DAY wrong?

Colubus day isnt a holiday last I checked!!!

acg 7 years ago

We have a Christmas kind of like TOB's. We order pizza on Christmas Eve, open one gift a piece, of our choice and then the kids go to bed. Wherein my husband and I see if we can find the bottom of a bottle of Jack Daniels while we play PlayStation or put together those jewels that have "some assembly required". The next morning, like Pywacket, we lie to the children about what time it is so we can sleep in and then we get up, do the present thing, eat a big breakfast and then I start cooking. I'll cook all day, kill about two bottles of wine and then pass out right before dinner (happens every year) and then I'll wake up around midnight with that cat crapped in my mouth feeling and I'll eat some cold turkey and watch late night t.v. while the whole house sleeps. And good times are had by all.

canyon_wren 7 years ago

My daughter and I spend the three or four days before Christmas making cookies and candy. We take about 18 plates around the night before Christmas Eve. I spend most of Chrismas Eve day making this ribbon salad which looks like that old-fashioned ribbon candy--four layers of four colors of Jell-O and a sour cream-sugar-vanilla-gelatin, etc. layer in between--takes about 7 hours of vigilance to make sure each layer sets right. I go to Christmas Eve service at church and then on Christmas morning, to my daughter and son-in-law's to open presents, then we have our traditional blueberry muffins, and later ham, "Funeral potatoes," the ribbon salad, etc. for Christmas dinner.

Maybe the person who wrote Colubus Day has a cold. It would sound like that!

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

"Colubus day isnt a holiday last I checked!!!" It is in my household.

JJHawq 7 years ago

We gather around the Festivus Pole and air our grievances. Feats of strength follow shortly thereafter.

Bone777 7 years ago

You hide a glass pickle ornament on the Christmas tree and the first child to find it gets a special prize.

conservativepunker 7 years ago

HaHa...it all begins with "What the hell was that supposed to mean!?!?" ;)

Bone777 7 years ago

TOB - it is a 'German Tradition'. If we can't find the onament we still play, but be keep the kids out of it.

kneejerkreaction 7 years ago

Each year my family picks the home of a local, registered pedophile. Then, when everyone is asleep, and laying a finger aside of his nose, Dad breaks in the front door as Mom is coming down the chimbley.

Little brother and I pop merrily through a couple of windows with our sawed off 12 gauge pumps.

We take the occupants out in the country where we beat the crap out of them.

....sigh.....

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

We used to dress armadillos in warm coats & send them north to colonize Kansas.

kneejerkreaction 7 years ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says: We used to dress armadillos in warm coats & send them north to colonize Kansas.

Those were coats? I remember seeing furry armadillos laying alongside the roadways.

I have some bad news, Snap, the little guys never made it to Kansas....bawwwwwww..snif...

kneejerkreaction 7 years ago

giving....(oh, maybe I can't say that online)....

trinity 7 years ago

you are all in RARE form today, i must say! i've been laughing&laughing!!!

or is it just the nogg....

H_Lecter 7 years ago

R_I, Do you let the winner keep the mounted head?

kneejerkreaction 7 years ago

ChristmasCarol (Anonymous) says: Hanging Garlands.

What does the Garland family have to say about that?

Crossfire 7 years ago

My Grammy said not to hang the Garland's just invite them over and get them drunk and whip them in a fist fight. ...just like they are part of the family. My favorite tradition is swapping tags on the gifts under the tree.