Previous   Next

What are some of your family’s holiday traditions?

Browse the archives

“We always meet up at my grandma’s house for Christmas dinner.”

“We always put Norwegian flags on our Christmas tree.”

“We always tape our family opening presents from youngest to oldest.”

“We get the family together so we can all help set up our Christmas tree.”

“We always only light one candle on first night of Hanukkah, and then we don’t light any more.”

“We go up north to Mayetta to my cousin’s.”

“Our whole family gets together to help cook Christmas dinner, and then after dinner we open presents.”

“At 9 or 10 p.m. we drive around and look at everyone’s Christmas lights, and then we get some hot chocolate.”

Comments

Crossfire 6 years, 3 months ago

My Grammy said not to hang the Garland's just invite them over and get them drunk and whip them in a fist fight. ...just like they are part of the family. My favorite tradition is swapping tags on the gifts under the tree.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 3 months ago

garlands, you know like on the christmas tree.

dont you know what a garland of lights are?

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 3 months ago

ChristmasCarol (Anonymous) says: Hanging Garlands.

What does the Garland family have to say about that?

H_Lecter 6 years, 4 months ago

R_I, Do you let the winner keep the mounted head?

observantone 6 years, 4 months ago

Christmas Crackers (not the edible kind)

trinity 6 years, 4 months ago

you are all in RARE form today, i must say! i've been laughing&laughing!!!

or is it just the nogg....

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 4 months ago

giving....(oh, maybe I can't say that online)....

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 4 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says: We used to dress armadillos in warm coats & send them north to colonize Kansas.

Those were coats? I remember seeing furry armadillos laying alongside the roadways.

I have some bad news, Snap, the little guys never made it to Kansas....bawwwwwww..snif...

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

We used to dress armadillos in warm coats & send them north to colonize Kansas.

Pywacket 6 years, 4 months ago

I don't know about Colubus Day, but where I come from, we celebrate Colobus Day! This is a very convenient holiday, as it can fall on whatever day you happen to need a celebration, and the honorees don't give a hoot in hell (or in the jungle, more likely) how you go about your celebration.

Drink! Make whoopie! Finger paint! Drink! Throw banana peels at the homes of cranky neighbors! When they come out to yell at you, have your small fry sneak in and steal their cell phones. Use them later to make prank calls, then quietly return them to the owners' front porch. Drink!

Only thing you must remember, though, is to make that obligatory sacrifice to the Monkey Gods at the stroke of midnight. Otherwise, your nose will grow long and furry, your thumbs will shrivel away, and your mate will start an overt courtship display for anyone who is interested, on the nearest street corner.

bobberboy 6 years, 4 months ago

We spend most of our time playing leap frog in a mud pit.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 4 months ago

Each year my family picks the home of a local, registered pedophile. Then, when everyone is asleep, and laying a finger aside of his nose, Dad breaks in the front door as Mom is coming down the chimbley.

Little brother and I pop merrily through a couple of windows with our sawed off 12 gauge pumps.

We take the occupants out in the country where we beat the crap out of them.

....sigh.....

Bone777 6 years, 4 months ago

TOB - it is a 'German Tradition'. If we can't find the onament we still play, but be keep the kids out of it.

conservativepunker 6 years, 4 months ago

HaHa...it all begins with "What the hell was that supposed to mean!?!?" ;)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

H_Lecter, I have been playing a game similar to the first part of your holiday tradition, but its not holiday dependent.

It's called "is it venison or feral cow?"

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 4 months ago

Bone -

I'm glad you cleared that up. I'm still confused, but at least I have a solid basis for my confusion.

Bone777 6 years, 4 months ago

You hide a glass pickle ornament on the Christmas tree and the first child to find it gets a special prize.

JJHawq 6 years, 4 months ago

We gather around the Festivus Pole and air our grievances. Feats of strength follow shortly thereafter.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

"Colubus day isnt a holiday last I checked!!!" It is in my household.

blue73harley 6 years, 4 months ago

We've been sending out Christmas cards every year for the last 20 years with the kid's pictures on them. We always have some kind of theme to the cards. This tradition continues even though the oldest left the nest a few years ago. Friends and relatives seem to look forward to them and I have noticed more and more folks are sending out photo greeting cards.

I look forward to receiving annual letters with Christmas cards. It is always a hoot to hear about things like the size of Aunt Millie's hemroids. Who amongst you is guilty of sending out these attrocities with TMI?

canyon_wren 6 years, 4 months ago

My daughter and I spend the three or four days before Christmas making cookies and candy. We take about 18 plates around the night before Christmas Eve. I spend most of Chrismas Eve day making this ribbon salad which looks like that old-fashioned ribbon candy--four layers of four colors of Jell-O and a sour cream-sugar-vanilla-gelatin, etc. layer in between--takes about 7 hours of vigilance to make sure each layer sets right. I go to Christmas Eve service at church and then on Christmas morning, to my daughter and son-in-law's to open presents, then we have our traditional blueberry muffins, and later ham, "Funeral potatoes," the ribbon salad, etc. for Christmas dinner.

Maybe the person who wrote Colubus Day has a cold. It would sound like that!

acg 6 years, 4 months ago

We have a Christmas kind of like TOB's. We order pizza on Christmas Eve, open one gift a piece, of our choice and then the kids go to bed. Wherein my husband and I see if we can find the bottom of a bottle of Jack Daniels while we play PlayStation or put together those jewels that have "some assembly required". The next morning, like Pywacket, we lie to the children about what time it is so we can sleep in and then we get up, do the present thing, eat a big breakfast and then I start cooking. I'll cook all day, kill about two bottles of wine and then pass out right before dinner (happens every year) and then I'll wake up around midnight with that cat crapped in my mouth feeling and I'll eat some cold turkey and watch late night t.v. while the whole house sleeps. And good times are had by all.

pimp11 6 years, 4 months ago

whats up with people spelling COLUMBUS DAY wrong?

Colubus day isnt a holiday last I checked!!!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

Eggs Benedict that the mom-in-law makes on Christmas morning. All other EB pales in camparison. She has ruined me for eating it anywhere else. (Oops! I seem to be salivating.)

JJE007 6 years, 4 months ago

fussin' and fightin'...

...except on Colubus day, when we let the monkeys out of their barrel...which is no fun until they're returned.

trinity 6 years, 4 months ago

it varies. but one ongoing commonality-peanut butter balls. i'd be an outcast mum if i didn't make 'em! :)

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 4 months ago

"We always only light one candle on first night of Hanukkah, and then we don't light any more. "

I may be merely an armchair Jew, but I don't believe that is how it is supposed to go. Of course, perhaps they are doing their part in preventing climate change.

We always have a big Christmas Eve dinner and then everyone gets to open one present. Then we drink. On Christmas morning we open presents and then have a huge brunch. Then we start preparing for an enormous Christmas supper. As we drink. Then we eat said humongous Christmas supper. Then we sleep. Good fun. Lots of leftovers.

consumer1 6 years, 4 months ago

For Thanksgiving "holiday" we eat a turkey and fixin's. for Veterans "holiday" I take off and do what ever I want. for Presidents "holiday" I don't work. and don't do anything special. for Memorial "holiday" I decorate my parents graves. for Independence "holiday" I sit in a dark corner with ear plugs in my head holes. for Labor day "holiday" I don't labor. for Colubus "holiday" I don't work. for Martin Luther King "holiday" I don't work Oh do you mean what are my family's traditions for "Christmas"??? I don't work. I celebrate the birth of Christ and enjoy my family.

Pywacket 6 years, 4 months ago

Elf tossing. Hamster ping-pong (we tried reindeer ping-pong, but that flopped for obvious reasons). Going outside to make snow angels--or dirt angels on those whiteless Christmases. Resetting the clocks so we can fool the children and sleep in. ("Do NOT wake us up until 8:00!! Go back to bed until then.") Driving around to relatives' houses if we know they're not home and plundering their loot. Taking a midnight "polar bear" dip in the livestock pond, then warming up with toddies in front of a roaring creosote fire. Good times...

H_Lecter 6 years, 4 months ago

Guessing what kind of meat they're eating. Seeing who can get untied first....just the typical family traditions.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

We do theme trees. Two years ago... SpongeBob. Last year's theme... "Happy Feet". This years theme... a tree tree.
We hung those pine tree shaped scented car air fresheners as decorations.