Previous   Next

Do you ever get the blues during the holidays?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 17, 2007

Browse the archives

“I used to; just because I was with someone for 15 years and then all of a sudden I was single up until now. That, and I lost my mom four years ago. Those kinds of things don’t help during the holidays.”

“Less now than in the past because I just got married.”

“Absolutely. It’s stressful to be around family. It’s the time of year when you all have to be together, and sometimes it doesn’t go very well. That, and my birthday is just after Christmas, so I have to wait the whole year to get anything else.”

“Not really, but I don’t really like the holidays in general. I don’t like listening to the endless Christmas music on 102.1 or the monthlong build-up. I enjoy it on the actual day, but that’s about it.”

Comments

easy_mark 6 years, 4 months ago

Darn, a mixed moniker body moment, and I missed it!

Pogo 6 years, 4 months ago

This is the best of all possible times of the year in this best of all possible worlds! Why, we get to watch the conspicuous consumption in the name of God (like our war in Iraq); we get to wait for the retail sales data to come in around the first so our stock market will jolt....one way or the other....and we get to pretend that....well....this is the best of all possible worlds!

Be sure to buy up the retail urine test drug kits so you can have a family moment as you test each of your children....it's always good to be sure.

BooYa! Christmas is not a commercial, retail event. Nope. Right.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

Oh, and RI, my skis are in the shop; I'm going to pick them up tomorrow, and I'm hoping to get out for a conditioning day soon. (My first day on the slopes is always exhausting, and I can never last the whole day, but it's only that first day. After that, I can ski the whole day without a problem.)

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

TOB, he had dollar signs flashing at him last year, too, but he stayed. I don't think it's purely dollars. They could have thrown more money at him, or he could have used Michigan's advances to enrich his WVU deal (as Les Miles did with LSU, gaining an extension), but he bolted from his home. I think there's a little more there, be it the allegedly deteriorating relationship between RR and the athletic director or whatever else.

George_Braziller 6 years, 4 months ago

My dad died in July on his 75th birthday and after 47 years of marriage. My mom just went for one week without electricity or heat and spent two days with her sister-in-law. My sister called her this afternoon and asked if there was heat yet and when mom said no the only thing she was concerned about was "what about Christmas?" This is the same sister who the afternoon after we picked out a casket was already throwing out what she wanted for Christmas.

The blues -- Yeah I guess so. But I've always hated Christmas since I was about 35.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 4 months ago

"...just wondering if there's something driving it." Sarge

In the immortal words of one Mark Mangino, "That's right, dollar signs."

Nothing more. Nothing less.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

sgt, Shouldn't you be skiing in that foot of snow?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

ohjay, as far as the buyout stuff goes, I have faith in the lawyers to handle that; I doubt RR will get out of all his buyout, if he gets out of any.

I'm not sure that RR has a history of bolting like this, so I'm wondering if there has been some poor behavior on the part of WVU. Not saying RR is right for leaving as he has (assuming all of it is true); just wondering if there's something driving it.

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

The blues set in for me if some of my family are missing at the table on Christmas Day. This year it will be two of my grandsons. One has to work in Calgary and the other will be in Norfolk, Virginia with the Admirals Hockey Club and they only have 4 days between games and not enough time to get home. He is feeling pretty bad. His first Christmas away from his family.
I'm sure there are a lot of people in that situation and that makes for a lonely Christmas. I always tell my kids to invite anyone that they know will be alone to come for dinner. This has made for some interesting Christmas celebrations over the years. One year we had a houseful of total strangers (strangers to me) and it turned out really good. Maybe some kind mother will invite my grandson over for dinner on Dec. 25 or 24.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

Brian, Thats a high risk family history, have a yearly DRE + PSA if you are 35 or older.

BrianR 6 years, 4 months ago

"I am very bummed about Dan Fogelberg's death."

Yes, that news sucked. I got an email from thelivinglegacy.net this morning and it ruined the whole day. Prostate cancer got my dad 10 years ago, my cousin just yesterday, and will probably get me too.

dminear60 6 years, 4 months ago

I love the holidays. The holidays are like life...they are what you make them. They go very well with hot buttered rum too! I am very bummed about Dan Fogelberg's death.

TweakinTopekan 6 years, 4 months ago

I could get along just fine without Xmas.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 4 months ago

I am not sure if the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost morphing into a baby hawk would be considered evolutionary.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

T_O_B, moniker-body exchange? Is that an evolutionary event?

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 4 months ago

R_I -

Prior to my post, we experienced one of those moniker-body exchanges.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

sgt - Well, a lot of people are quite upset at Don Nehlen for what he said, too. They're just about to disown him. I guess the thing I can understand them being upset about is that he wrote in his resignation letter that it is effective Jan. 3 (a day after the Fiesta Bowl). He has already said that he will NOT be coaching that game. However, the speculation is that by him still being the "coach", he will still get his bonus money for that game. Also, if WVU says, no you have to leave now, that would be tantamount to him being fired. That would negate the $4 million buy-out clause he would have to pay them. He pretty much is giving his alma mater the shaft in the deal. I him taking the U of M job is a good move, I just think he could've handled it much better.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

"Uh-oh"- T_O_B

Forget to flip your tie over the shoulder? Stain it with a drop of jam from your biscuit? Don't have a Tide To Go® pen?

Kontum1972 6 years, 4 months ago

sorry Misty......thats a real bummer

BrianR 6 years, 4 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says:

I watch The Blues Brothers. Does that count?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

Ohjay, I've been seeing some of them infiltrating the comments of Michigan blogs. It's quite remarkable. There's a lot of contradictory "good riddance, he wasn't that great of a coach anyway, but I'm still mad he left" going on.

I think the best quote came from legendary WVU coach Don Nehlen:

"I think it's a great, great, great opportunity for him," said Nehlen, who coached at Michigan under Bo Schembechler from 1977-1979. "I think it's tremendous. There are very few Michigans. When you coach at West Virginia you walk on water in West Virginia, but when you coach at Michigan, you walk on water, period. There's a difference. Some people around here don't want to believe that."

I give that a lot more weight than the typical "ROD SUX!!111!!" venom from jilted fans.

hawklet21 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for your kind words, ceallach and babboy. The holidays won't be blue as long as the egg nog keeps flowing!!

MattressMan 6 years, 4 months ago

acg (Anonymous) says: The commercialization of the holiday really bums me out. On Christmas day they'd tear thru the gifts like greedy gusses not really looking at or enjoying any one thing.

That's it right there, if people would actually celebrate Christmas for what it really is I probably would'nt mind it as much. As it is now the stores begin putting their holiday crap out in Sept/Oct. Used to be they would put haloween crap out the first of Oct, then Thanksgivng crap the first of Nov and finally Christmas crap the first of Dec.

A few years ago, our kids are grown, my wife and I started going down and delivering meals on Christmas day to the homebound. That makes for a good day.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

Sure. Can't help but think about family or friends who are no longer with us. Good news is there are new, little ones to brighten the get-togethers and remind us how wonderful the holidays are as seen through the eyes of a child.

oldvet 6 years, 4 months ago

Hey Lauren... the little knob on the right side of the radio will change the station to something else...

And you know, Ryan, if you work a little harder at it, family can be fun too... sorry that you're so self-focused that all you can think about is not GETTING SOMETHING for another year...

acg 6 years, 4 months ago

I used to get them really bad. The commercialization of the holiday really bums me out. The stress and the expense and the angst of "will this be the right gift" used to bum me out, too. A fw years ago, we made some serious changes to the way we celebrate Christmas. Every year, a few days before Christmas, my kids clean out their toys and we give most of what they have, at that time, to charity. I always felt as if my kids had so much crap that they really couldn't enjoy any of it. On Christmas day they'd tear thru the gifts like greedy gusses not really looking at or enjoying any one thing. So we decided to give them 1 or 2 really big expensive gifts instead of 15 to 20 smaller gifts. The extended family now gets cards and only cards (with pictures enclosed). That took a lot of time and expense pressure off of my head. The coworkers, mailman, hairstylist, UPS guys, etc. all get tins of fresh baked goods. Everyone loves them, you can make a lot for a little cost and that eliminates the need for tips/gift cards/etc. for all of those "extra" people. And the last thing we did is make it mandatory that we (hubby, kids and I) spend Christmas day together, alone! This was a biggie. Family gatherings can be very stressful, esp if you come from my family. If we don't have to see them that day, we can relax and enjoy ourselves without that whole family stress factor. The last two Christmases have been heavenly after we incorporated all of the changes.

BABBOY 6 years, 4 months ago

Sorry to hear about your mother Trinity. My condolences to your family.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes, I get the blues during the holidays. I think it has to do more with December being National Tie Month than anything else.

trinity 6 years, 4 months ago

nah i usually get classic rock, jazz, etc. hah just kiddin'. yes, i do; too much self-inflicted stress! this year i can relate to misty; my mama passed away just a month&a half ago. :-/ so yeah this is different.

can we get a new ots question, this one bummed me out!

ohjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

No, I don't. I quite enjoy this time of year. It's kind of hard not to with my wife. Her love for this season is very infectious.

sgt - There are a LOT of upset people down here today seeing how your team "stole" it's coach.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

I watch The Blues Brothers. Does that count?

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

If by blues you mean severe rum hangovers from seriously spiked hot apple cider then YO!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

All I ever get for Christmas is blue.

But seriously, I don't think I'm any more or less blue now than I am the rest of the year.