Previous   Next

Do you agree with Paul Morrison’s decision to resign?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 15, 2007

Browse the archives

“I think stepping down is somewhat an admission of guilt. If he could have proven that it didn’t affect his professional judgment or decisions, then I don’t think he would have any reason to. His personal and professional life should remain separate.”

“I think if a man in his position resigns that quickly, it makes him look guilty. I think he should have endured the investigation if he wanted to clear his name. He has a right to due process just like anybody else.”

“I think that as attorney general, he’s held to a higher standard than other public figures. So even the allegations of misconduct can make it difficult for him to do his job effectively. I really don’t care about his personal life. It’s the other allegations that I find troubling.”

“I think it’s his decision whether that is the right thing to do. I do think there was certainly some dishonesty involved. I don’t know if it prohibited him from doing his job, but I think he’s lost the public’s trust.”

Comments

lunacydetector 6 years, 4 months ago

don't you think that by resigning, he has effectively taken away the investigation into his potential criminal conduct?

Kathy Getto 6 years, 4 months ago

15 December 2007 at 2:22 p.m.

Suggest removal

Permalink edson443 (Anonymous) says:

I think something rotten is going on and Phil Kline is behind it.

As more information comes to light, I am certain Kline is behind this in some fashion. His resignation may not have been necessary, but is good for the state, and leaves Morrision unfettered to get to the bottom of Kline's wrongdoing.

I am pretty sure Morrison would like to forget the affair and move on with his life.

faceit 6 years, 4 months ago

Too bad Clinton didn't have the conscience to do the same thing. He was such an embarrassment

Kathy Gragg 6 years, 4 months ago

He didn't have to resign, he could have claimed he didn't remember like Fat Teddy, Ronnie Reagan and another guy I know. But then we don't know what is on those tapes concerning his asperation to get dirt on Kline.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 4 months ago

Barclay said it correctly. Why won't folks just accept that, I guess its the emotional investment they have in him. It isn't about him being better then Kline or worst it's about what the citizens of Kansas deserve from an elected official especially the AG. Time to move on.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

Damn women and their pomegranates...

beatrice 6 years, 4 months ago

"His personal and professional life should remain separate."

Indeed, they should. However, he mixed the two when he had an affair with a subordinate. This isn't just an affair by a public official vis-Ã -vis Rudy Giuliani, but an affair within the office with another public official. Stepping down probably is a good idea, and it should teach the Democrats an important lesson -- One should always keep an eye on supposedly "reformed" Republicans. Once a Republican always a Republican. You just can't trust that bunch.

I think Morrison switched parties and intentionally got caught just to make the Democrats look bad. It was a giant, GOP plot, I tell ya. It is nothing but a great big Republican conspiracy.

(Okay, that was about as far as I could imagine taking that line of b.s. Well, maybe not ...)

You just can't trust men. Vote for Hillary.

Mike Edson 6 years, 4 months ago

I think something rotten is going on and Phil Kline is behind it.

ckclrk 6 years, 4 months ago

He has already admitted to adultery - that while some in the general public do not seemingly think is "breaking the law" - is in fact a "sex offense" in Kansas (as the JOCO DA/KS AG Morrison surely knows this; and therefore, his actions can only be construed as disregard of the law when it suits his needs). And he continues to "deny the allegations of legal or professional misconduct." What, then, Mr. Morrison is a class C misdemeanor? Low level? YES. Crime? YES. Legal and professional misconduct? YES. While in office? Yes.

The fact that he was in a position of authority over the woman involved is even worse (and, no it does not excuse her actions - however, she did not swear an oath to uphold the laws of Kansas as Morrison did)!

Chapter 21.--CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS PART II.--PROHIBITED CONDUCT Article 35.--SEX OFFENSES

21-3507. Adultery. (1) Adultery is engaging in sexual intercourse or sodomy with a person who is not married to the offender if:

(a)   The offender is married; or

(b)   The offender is not married and knows that the other person involved in the act is married.

(2)   Adultery is a class C misdemeanor.

Perhaps Morrison should hold himself to the same standard he advocates for 10 year old children in Kansas. He believes that a 10 year old has sufficient capacity to know right from wrong and he has strongly advocates their prosecution when they make a mistake. Luckily for him, at 53 y/o, he won't be subjected to the same Constitutional violations and Kangaroo court he established in JOCO for kids.

Whether or not this amounts to sexual harassment is yet to be seen. Even so, his having an affair with a subordinate shows current lack of judgment on his part and this is not the first accusation. There also have been posts that Carter's raises from 1996 - 2007 have been VERY substantial: "Starting wage in 1996: $8.18 per hour 2007 salary: $90,002/yr. That's an average of 16.5% a year for 11 years." If true, it makes you wonder if there is something to the allegations of sexual harassment and one has to wonder what is going on in JOCO government (e.g. how did such a thing get approval by the Board of Commissioners?)

Pogo 6 years, 4 months ago

Hack's don't "....step down....". They merely repossesion themselves for their next hack job which we as the populace are stupid enought to let them secure.

Were any working man or woman accused of what this guy is stated as doing, said working man or woman would be hard pressed to pick up the pieces and find "work" that, moneywise, came anywhere near what had been coming in.

Morrison's type of person represents all that is wrong with the electoral and the process called the tyranny of the majority. Let's hope he chokes on whatever else he finds. Let's not leave out Phil Kline for that same destiny.

Good riddance to political hacks.....good riddance to a voting populace too drugged to understand who and what they've given their collective lives over to......

BABBOY 6 years, 4 months ago

I am not sure talking about his quilt is anything but simple minded. But, when asked on the street, you really do not get to think about your answer. I think his resignation only concedes that he had an affair which he admits and in this political world (or probably any political world where sadly the two sides hate each other so much) resignation after such a stupid affair is the only real option. Staying office would be nothing more then a lame duck position waiting to get beat or not run in the next election.

He did the right thing.

On the guilt issue, the resignation does not address whether or not this was a simple affair with a jilted lover who filed a frivolous complaint to get even with a guy who would not leave his wife. That is the way I see it. Now, if they prove harassment or blackmail, that is different. But, my gut (which is usually right) tells me that this stupid affair went on for a long time and I do not see the harassment or blackmail existing for that long or Carter would have done this two years ago. I think the it is very possible or probable that this is just an angry lady (Carter) who is just pissed that he would not leave his wife and "someone" explained how hard she could hurt him by filing this complaint whether it has merit or not. Again, harassment to me does not sound like someone who was practically sharing an apartment with a two year "mutual" affair going on. This sounds more like a relationship that went bad and it went all vindictive.

IF would be beyond cool if the chips fell out whereas someone connected to Kline had something to do it with her going to EEOC. The ironic thing is the one thing Morrison and Kline have in common is their abundant lust for power.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 4 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says: Does this make the letters I received from his office signed by him valuable?

Only if he was asking you for a date.

prospector 6 years, 4 months ago

Sure, it is his call.

R_I, the value will depend on how much information you have redacted.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 4 months ago

admitting guilt,................... has he once said these are false accusations? no he has owned up to his behavior...doubt that there are many people out there that would own up to such actions.

Kathy Getto 6 years, 4 months ago

His resignation is probably good for state and for the office, and will liberate Morrison to help prove what Kline is really up to and get to the bottom of this witch hunt. It just might bring out the anti-Kline folks in numbers to bring to light Kline's wrongdoing. He can also concentrate on mending his marriage, if that is possible.

dajudge 6 years, 4 months ago

R_I--I would definitely hold on to those. You may be able to sell them on e-bay.

I don't know if what he did was the right decision or not, but if he happens to have any cigars.....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

Does this make the letters I received from his office signed by him valuable?

KS 6 years, 4 months ago

For once, he did something right. Doing is so quickly does indicate guilt.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 4 months ago

Absolutely. With all of the matters being thrown his way,guilty or not, may have compromised management of the AG's office. Resigning is not admisson of guilt any more than continuing to work proves innocence...how many times has this proven otherwise among local,state and federal level polticians? Let the legal process play on. This matter will consume much of his time especially with bogus Kline in the picture.

Barclay 6 years, 4 months ago

A public servant has a right to a private life. However, when a public servant's personal life spills over into the public's eye in a way that will detract from one's duties, it is right for him or her to step down. Morrison has done the right thing.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

If it was the decision he wanted to make, then I don't see why I should agree or disagree with it. Maybe third times the charm, we could get an Attorney General with a relatively clean slate who also will not take the office as a holy crusade. That would be pretty nice. Unlikely, but nice.