Previous   Next

What do you look for when shopping for a Christmas tree?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 13, 2007

Browse the archives

“I look for one that’s fat and spunky. One that’s asymmetrical and has some awkward branches. It has to have some character.”

“Wild cedar. It’s a family tradition, and they smell great.”

“I always look for one without any holes where you can see the trunk and strong branches, so they don’t get pulled down by the ornaments.”

“I usually go with a fake one, and I look for ease of setup.”

Comments

asiansensation 6 years, 10 months ago

How well maintained the trailer is for the attendant. If it's not well, then his tress suck.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 10 months ago

One that is alive and green, that will grow in our yard and not so large that it requires redesigning the living room.

Wild Cedars are everywhere....

Crossfire 6 years, 10 months ago

Always make sure the Park Ranger has gone to bed. "You mus' be vewery quiet when hunting cwris-mis twees."

Flap Doodle 6 years, 10 months ago

The jokes are just writing themselves this morning.

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

soft needles...fullness...color, deep beautiful green...REAL, even tho they've usually been spray painted!...and just as tall as whatever ceilings i'm living under will accomodate! :)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

a coupon or after-Christmas sale

jonas 6 years, 10 months ago

That right consistency of plastic and fiberglass that gives the impression of being alive but is still totally not. Like an android.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

Something tasteful and chic, but never with horizontal stripes. Vertical stripes slim down the overall profile. I have the biggest problem finding shoes.

RomanNose 6 years, 10 months ago

GretchenJP 6 years, 10 months ago

An artificial one, preferrably pre-lit or fiber optic.

Ceallach 6 years, 10 months ago

Hobby Lobby's 75% off sale . . a week or two after Christmas. Got a great one two years ago and it is great. Handy dandy fold-out branches. When I was able to have real trees (before I realized they were trying to kill me each December) I agreed with Maggie's choice, a tree with personality, even if it was a bit twisted. Hmmm, it's possible that kind of thinking may have caused me trouble in other areas of my life.

idarastar 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't really care for trees, but if I were to get one, it would be an artificial tree--one of those small fiber optic ones. The twinkle reminds me of fresh snow under the moonlight. I don't see any reason for the annual killing trees unneccessarily . If you do happen to buy a dead tree to celebrate, please contact the right people to dispose of it properly! :)

acg 6 years, 10 months ago

Andini that almost made me pee a little!!

I like the fake trees. Not because of some convoluted notion about saving the trees, but because I only spent $80 on it, it'll last forever, it's way easy to put up, easy to take down, it doesn't poke me and I don't have to stress the house burning down as much. Let's face it, the holidays are stressful enough, especially for the women of the household. Making things as easy as possible is a great way to alleviate some of that.