Previous   Next

Will you call into work because of inclement weather?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 11, 2007

Browse the archives

“It has to get awfully bad for me to say I’m not going to come in.”

“Typically no, I don’t. I usually have to be really sick to call in. I need money.”

“Yes. I definitely have and will in the future. But it has to be because of an extreme circumstance or vehicle failure.”

“No. I need to make money. It would have to be bad enough that there’s no way I could make it there.”

Comments

trinity 7 years ago

i told 'em yesterday that the prob'ly wouldn't be seeing me at work today. slightly over 60-mile round trip commute, a few miles of that over county road that doesn't get much attention; nahhh i think i'll just stay in! :)

ohjayhawk 7 years ago

I work in a hollow (holler) with a pretty steep hill entrence/exit with some nice curves. So, it gets a bit hairy in the winter. However, the guy I work with/for has a big 4-wheel drive truck. I'd probably hitch a ride with him if it got too bad.

Wow, Jonas, you must have a very understanding prof to cancel finals. I think KU was closed because of weather once in my 5 years there! Never made sense to me considering the hill it sits on.

jonas 7 years ago

Have to have a job before you can call in. No finals today, either.

Mwahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Yeah, I'm a !@#!$, I know.

Nikki May 7 years ago

I got a call last night that my work was canceled. I usually make the trek across town in the bad weather, but not today.

jonas 7 years ago

ohjayhawk: I'm a student, not a professor. I just don't have any finals today.

jonas 7 years ago

Err. . . you're not under the impression that OTS street responses are given in real-time, are you? I can't tell if you're joking or not. It's early.

ohjayhawk 7 years ago

jonas - I guess I knew you were a student, but I was misread your comment. I was thinking you meant that you meant your finals were cancelled for today. Sorry.

jonas 7 years ago

I did just take my wife to work at LMH, though, and the roads are fine.

dminear60 7 years ago

Thank you to the Governor...my office is closed today!

classclown 7 years ago

Some people should. Those that drive 20 miles an hour and hit their brakes every 30 feet.

It's one thing to drive cautiously, but if you're really afraid to drive in the stuff then you should just stay home.

jonas 7 years ago

ohjayhawk: Probably my fault. I garble easily when I wake up too early.

Greg Yother 7 years ago

I drove to work from Lawrence to the Sprint campus; I couldn't justify staying home...it just isn't slick at all...at least the roads I took out of town, or K-10. Damn it. Damn it all. I better not be the only one in my dept. that shows up. This sucks.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Alas! I have to work today because of a scheduled meeting tomorrow. But, since I work from home, I don't actually have to leave the house...but I can't "call in" either.

A child just woke...must go make breakfast! Bacon anyone?

Aileen Dingus 7 years ago

I'm home with the kids, but if school had been open I'd have gone to work. I live close by and grew up with pretty lousy winter weather so I'm ok with it.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

Made it in just fine, but parts of the sidewalk were a little slick.
I come to work unless they tell me not to....

teachks 7 years ago

Don't have to call in when you're a teacher!!! Oh, one of the few perks to the job!

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years ago

I'm at work. I drove my pard to her workplace. Nobody was there! She grabbed her work laptop and is working from home...so she says. I should take off and shop for food. There's not much at the house. On the way out I grabbed, and am having, a can of Terrine De Canard au Gingembre and half a bagle for breakfast. Eating exotic food is a always a sign that bad weather is coming. Everybody go home!

JJHawq 7 years ago

LAZY TEACHERS!!!!

The roads are not even slick - but no school. Last year the called it because of COLD. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? BECAUSE OF COLD????? It's winter for crying out loud.

Is it a conflict of interest that the people who make the decision to cancel school are the same people who get a day off of work?? Meanwhile, the working folk have to scramble to get the kiddo's taken care of...or take a vacation day because our bosses KNOW THAT THE ROADS ARE FINE!!!!

OK - I'm done venting. Besides, my wife stays at home, so it is no inconvenience. BUT IT COULD BE!!!!

teachks 7 years ago

HA! Lazy teachers...whatever...I typically work 60 hours a week so lay off. I would have gone into work today had we had school, but more than likely, half of the kids would not have been there because the buses cannot get out safely on the rural roads. I completely agree, the main roads are not bad, but the side streets and rural roads are. It becomes a matter of safety.

Grundoon Luna 7 years ago

It's Fast Johnny Ricker! He is one mean mofo on the guitar. I loved to go see his band play before he retired. Well, if Led Zepplin came come back, maybe Johnny will too . . . .

It has to be really bad for me to stay home. I live very close to work and Goddess forbid they shut the buidling down.

JayhawksandHerd 7 years ago

JJHawq, I may just be a dumb ol' hick from WV, but when I was teaching there, none of us had any say in whether school was cancelled or not...I doubt it's any different here. Oh, and if you were a teacher, your wife wouldn't have the luxury of staying home.

Ceallach 7 years ago

I did! My power was out until after 7 am today, so I let everyone know I would be coming in late.

unklemonkey 7 years ago

JJHawq (Anonymous) says:

"Last year the called it because of cold. are you kidding me?? because of cold????? It's winter for crying out loud."

The schools call it off if it's too cold because they don't want kids who wait for buses to get frostbite.

teachks 7 years ago

JJHawq would not know about kids waiting for the bus stop because he has a wife that can take them to school. Not saying that's a bad thing, but something he doesn't realize because he is fortunate enough to have his wife stay at home.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

JJHawq 1. school â daycare I was not a teacher when my children were young, and I always had alternative plans. I didn't get sick or leave days on my job, but my boss did allow me to take vacation time if my alternate daycare didn't work out. 2. Closing schools not only make your children safer, they make everyone else safer, since there are no school busses to run into you, and there are fewer cars on the road. 3. school = education This "lazy" teacher spent this morning rechecking her final to be sure that she had adequately covered everything. Then she finalized plans for the final review. This afternoon she will catch up on all her grading, so she will know which students need extra review before the final. She would have to do this anyway, but instead of doing it this weekend, she will be able to finish Christmas preparations. So this teacher is still doing her real job, just in pajamas.

badger 7 years ago

Nope, no snow day for me. I should have called in for the rain, though. Most Austin drivers seem to have water soluble driving skills. Get 'em wet and they dissolve...

Just wait till we get our quarter inch of ice for the year. Whole blasted city shuts completely down for up to three days.

City full of Texans and transplanted Californians trying to navigate an icy uphill overpass at 3 miles an hour and not understanding why they keep sliding backwards is the funniest thing you ever saw...

jonas 7 years ago

"Most Austin drivers seem to have water soluble driving skills. Get 'em wet and they dissolve:"

JJHawq 7 years ago

LOL!!!

I actually love teachers. Did I say lazy? I meant to say over-sensitive.

I appreciate everything you guys do - and hereby retract my previous comments - including calling you over-sensitive.

Lazy district administrators.

teachks 7 years ago

"Lazy district administrators."

That's more like it!!!

GretchenJP 7 years ago

There's really no excuse for me to call in because of inclement weather because I work about 5 minutes from home... I could pretty much sliiiiiiiiiiiide in. Now walking to and from my car... that's a whole other issue. Our deck was incased in ice last night. I crawled (yes crawled) in the door. My husband was trying to help me but laughing at the same time.

bacardipr05 6 years, 10 months ago

You should just stay home basically. I mean if its a dusting probably not. Think about if you are in an accident will your job pay your medical bills. Who will reimburse you for you car and or pay your deductibles? Don't let the work propaganda get to you. Don't buy into that loyalty mumble jumble because in the end who is the one responsible if something happens. Wake up America learn how to think outside the box.