Previous   Next

What was your favorite childhood toy?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 10, 2007

Browse the archives

“I used to have a Fanner 50 cowboy pistol just like Steve McQueen’s in ‘The Magnificent Seven.’”

“Lite-Brite, no doubt. It was all the pretty bright colors.”

“I had all types of horse figurines, from My Little Pony to the more realistic ones, and I would set them all up in herds around my room.”

“Legos. I liked to build and have the ability to be constructively creative.”

Comments

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years ago

AFX slot car race set, endorsed by Jackie Stewart.

idarastar 7 years ago

I loved that square yellow box that had different shapes cut out and the multi-colored shapes that fit in the holes. Is there a name to that? I also really liked my glow-worm.

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

My Chatty Cathy, Lincoln Logs, and most board games.

Harley got censored and then had to drive K-10. What a start to a week!

jayhawk1234 7 years ago

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

I had a rock to wind a piece of string around.

Bone777 7 years ago

Screamin' Deamons, Stretch Armstrong, and cap guns that looked so real you could get shot by a cop.....

Bone777 7 years ago

Oh I forgot, My Big Wheel.....

jonas 7 years ago

Man, pink all over the boards today. What gives?

salad 7 years ago

Lawn Darts! ....ahh, the days when a toy could kill a kid. Good times....

gphawk89 7 years ago

Tyco model train set. Spent countless hours causing head-on collisions and derailments, running over pedestrians, crashing into auto traffic, tumbling off damaged bridges, and an occasionally making a successful run around the track. I hate to think what that set would be worth now if I hadn't destroyed most of it...

Fishman 7 years ago

Lincoln Logs. They were fun. Such an innocent time.

jonas 7 years ago

Transformers. They still are, too.

trinity 7 years ago

geeeeesh, blue&jayhawk-whose toes did ya's step on this morning, already??? it's a TOY question fer cryin' out loud! ;)

hmmm lemme see...i loved my crissy doll, she had this gawdawful orange-ish hair that you could yank out of the top of her head to make longer-then a knob in her tummy that you twisted to make the hair shorter! she was pretty hip...her predecessor was thumbelina, awww she was so cute!

acg 7 years ago

I had this toy that was a chick's head, with really long hair and it sat on this pedestal thing. You were supposed to do her hair and makeup. The stand had all of these little places where the hair styling stuff and the make up went and I just loved that thing. You could cut her hair and then more would come out when you turned the dial (I think we got like 10 cuts out of it before it ran out of hair) and the rollers would really make her hair curl. I loved that thing. My sister, that hateful B, melted half of her face with a curling iron, but still, scarred and sporting a pixie I loved that toy.

Jonathan Allison 7 years ago

I loved my GI Joes. I also liked making Lego cities. Was pretty fond of Micro-Machines as well. I definitely loved my cap guns too.

My brother and I had these double barrell shotguns and the cartridges were shaped like real shotgun shells, of course they were much much smaller being for little kids. But it was emphasized that they were not to be treated like toys. We had to watch all the Eddie Eagle NRA Gun Safety videos and such. Our dad actually got us lots of "replica" weaponry/military stuff and we enjoyed playing war games and the like. We had these Air 17 BBguns that looked like mini assault rifles. They are still cool. But I remember the days my brother and I climbed into the attic in the shed and found Dad's old Daisy BB gun, I must have been in around 6th grade but we killed a bird that day and I felt awful because I never thought we'd actually hit it. The only guns we were allowed to shoot at eachother were the nerf rockets and those kind of guns.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

My favorite toys were the "Best of the West" family. There were cowboy and cowgirl action figures with horses and wagons and my sister and I would play with those all day. We also had a sack of toy horses.. All our horses were realistic (no pretty ponies), and we would have our barbies ride them. A few had a broken leg but would still stand. We probably had about 30 in total. I wish I knew what happened to them.

rocketmom67 7 years ago

baby dolls--the more bodily functions the better! also Barbies. My best friend and I spent hours "playing Barbie". We had these two particle board boxes and those were our seats, our condo, our mall. It was the 70's--there was no A/C, nothing on TV, no video games so we had to be creative--those are some of my best memories!

Logan5 7 years ago

This question kind of dates everyone. I had a hoop that I rolled up and down our dirt road with a stick. At night we'd catch lightening bugs and pull their tails off to smear on the hoop. We also had fun catching grasshoppers to feed to the garden spiders that made webs over the hog pen.

Bassetlover 7 years ago

The games Mousetrap, Operation, Chutes & Ladders, plus Sorry. Also Barbie/Midge/Ken/Alan/Scooter and Skipper dolls.

coolmom 7 years ago

my bycycle and a bb gun. we had six kids and would take our "harmless" bb guns to the woods down the street and run around shooting each other and having a great time. i think one of my brothers still has a bb inbedded in his rear. we would also raid their g.i joe dolls and hang them in the basement from the rafters in response to damage done to our barbies lol. good times....our parents mad us quit the hanging stuff in the basement as it creeped them out. but they did continue to buy us bb's lol go figure.

Julie Craig 7 years ago

We had dart guns which were fun until my older cousins pulled the rubber tips off and shot us with the plastic stick things. We played a lot with dolls, Lincoln Logs, roller skates, the record player and Monopoly.

BorderRat 7 years ago

My Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun with the compass in the stock and that thing that tells time.

acg 7 years ago

LOL vavs, brought to you by Whammo, eh?

coolmarv 7 years ago

Green plastic army men and Hot Wheels.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Legos and GI Joes. Good times. If only the toys I wanted now were as inexpensive as those toys ...

ohjayhawk 7 years ago

Anything that had to do with being a police officer or a firefigher. I had a large plastic replica of Squad 51 that was pretty cool.

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years ago

Happy Fun Ball (despite its lengthy list of warnings and disclaimers):

Christine Anderson 7 years ago

Mrs. Beasley, Little Lost Baby, Easy Curl by Kenner, and a Push Me, Pull You.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

My Baby Beans (that poor doll got put through so much...but I still have her!) and a deck of playing cards.

notobsessed 7 years ago

I had a metal two story doll house that I spent a lot of time with. Rearranging the furniture, putting the babies to sleep and such.

blackwalnut 7 years ago

The dollhouse my daddy made for me out of a wooden apple box.

The toys are truly awful these days. Everything has a battery and talks, sings, flashes or beeps.

Chris Golledge 7 years ago

"..1978 Honda XR-75.."

Damn, I had one of those! My best friend had an Indian that I could beat and then a Suzuki that I couldn't.

Speaking of.. I hesitate to say this, but where I grew up we used to get out the toy guns like those mentioned above and have battles as cowboys and Indians. For some reason, there were never as many that wanted to be Indians.

I miss the dirt bike days, but I'm glad those other games are gone. (At least I haven't seen them.)

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

My bicycle. It gave me my first taste of independence. I would jump on it and ride all over town (Ottawa). It was great.

PrincessConsuelaBananaHammock 7 years ago

It's a toss up - either my Snoopy Sno Cone maker - man that thing ROCKED - spend 45 min. grinding 2 ice cubes into little pieces so you could pour kool-aid over it and call it a sno-cone! OR the Rainbow-Brite rainbow castle - it was bright colored and made out of that puffy parachute stuff and came with the Rainbow brite dolly and all her little friends!

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Barbies, Merlin, Shrinky Dinks, Lite Brite, Spirograph

asiansensation 7 years ago

My hand...its multi-use capabilities were endless.

gogoplata 7 years ago

Its hard to pick one Star Wars people Go Kart - a piece of junk I bought for $50 but when I could get it running it was great. BB Gun General Lee Hotwheel

Kathy Getto 7 years ago

gogo - I still have my son's Dukes of Hazzard cars. For me, I would have to say my bike.

Crossfire 7 years ago

Poor boys Yo-Yo... When you have a little cold and your spit is thick, so you can let it down and then suck it back up before it hits the ground or breaks off.

Crossfire 7 years ago

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

janeyb 7 years ago

A bicycle that didn't belong to my brothers first, and nintendo.