Previous   Next

What is your favorite outdoor winter activity?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 7, 2007

Browse the archives

“I enjoy the winter equivalent of the long jump, the long slide. You just find a long slick surface and slide until the puddle gives out or you do. It’s usually best to have a spotter.”

“I like snowboarding and sledding, and then enjoying a hot cup of cocoa or an Irish coffee on the porch.”

“It would be sledding. I live out in the country, so I like to walk through the timber and search for a nice little slope.”

“I like to ski. I can’t do it here, but sometimes I get to go to Colorado over winter break.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 7 years ago

Walking around to get the blood moving in an effort stay warm.

trinity 7 years ago

bonfires&buttershots. mmm mmm good. ;)

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

Candy caning (can also be an indoor activity)

preebo 7 years ago

Rock Climbing, hands down. Maybe trail running, but mostly rock climbing.

It is quite possibly one of the greatest experiences, climbing a shear face of a rock. Unfortunately, since we've moved to Kansas there hasn't been any good places to climb. Then again, there weren't any in Massachusettes either. If I ever get the bug, I drag my family with me to Colorado and Rocky Mountain National Park. The best spots for climbing however, are in Oregon -- just outside of Portland.

Mackadoo 7 years ago

preebo, you should try Sam's Throne in the Ozark Nat'l Forest in Arkansas sometime. It's a much less painful drive than RMNP or Boulder Canyon if you're looking for a good weekend trip. I try to go at least twice a year.

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

standing in the snow looking up with my mouth open.

Next is what Ceallach said!

friday friDAY FRIDAY!!! friday friDAY FRIDAY!!! And non a moment too soon...

Topside 7 years ago

writing my name in the snow in cursive. Without using my hands.....

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

Topside, in the cold???? Does it work with the "cap on the pen"?

Chrissy Neibarger 7 years ago

avoiding the yellow snow in our yard.
-thanks topside!

beatrice 7 years ago

Barbequeing.

Here in Phoenix, we never have to shovel sunlight.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years ago

Relaxing suggestions for appreciating the winter outdoors: -Building creative snow things until you're sweating like a p-i-g, shaking from exhaustion and breathing like you're on Everest... -Chasing dinner through the fen and over hill and dale with fire sticks... -Trudging through deep snow at night after a nice bottle of wine, mumbling incoherently, falling to the ground and sleeping until you get cold...or forever... -Making snow sex angels after a long stretch in a sauna or hot tub...

Note that I have not necessarily tried all of these but they sound like my cup of iced tea. I cannot recommend them as they may endanger, and/or lead to a greater appreciation of, life.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Skiing. Definitely skiing. And unlike the pathetic winter we had up here last year, it looks like I'll be able to ski before Christmas this year.

dajudge 7 years ago

I like to play golf, because the courses are not so crowded and I can play along at my own pace and hit extra balls and not have to follow the rules and nobody cares.
And then get stinkin' ass drunk on tequila.

beatrice 7 years ago

TOB, that wasn't just cheese, it was nacho-cheese, with a side of spicy homemade salsa.

Actually, a cold front is passing through. It is in the 60s right now (okay, high 60s), cloudy, and they are saying it is going to rain. Looks like the only grilling around here this weekend will be the George Foreman way.

ohjayhawk 7 years ago

blue - I have noticed that they have compiled all of the Calvin and Hobbes strips in a set of three large hardbound books. It's a bit on the expensive side (I think it was about $150), but it's definitey on my to buy list at some point in time!

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

C1, you take care of that desk, you hear?

beatrice 7 years ago

TOB, you aren't all going to die. You just need to change the channel and quit watching Katie Horner.

badger 7 years ago

bea -

I got ten degrees I can spare you and then we'll be even at 70. Should be a gorgeous weekend, but we're supposed to get some rain Sunday night and drop into the 50s next week.

80 today, 81 tomorrow. I walked out of my house in short sleeves this morning, and drove to work with the sunroof open. I may wear shorts to the farmer's market tomorrow.

Because we had such a wet spring and summer, the grass hasn't died yet for the year (except the lazy neighbor's, because he doesn't cut it until it's really tall, then it fries because he didn't wait for it to dry), so we're having a green Christmas.

Though, some folks in Austin have Green Christmas every year, if you know what I mean...

cheer67 7 years ago

Staying inside by the fire, watching the snow outside. =]

riverdrifter 7 years ago

Rabbit hunting over good beagles. It's fun even if you don't see a rabbit. If you do, retire to the Airstream for pan fried rabbit with a massive salad, mashed spuds & gravy, with a good merlot or zinfandel -preceeded, of course, by just a wee dram (or two or even three, don't you see) of Balveenie Doublewood or The McAllan. Go, beagles, go. Other than that, pheasant hunting, 335.6 miles west. The opening day/Thanksgiving jukes are gone and the fields are yours. Same libation. You can do something with winter, whatever your thing is.

chapdaddy 7 years ago

hopping on a plane and heading to Miami for the Orange Bowl, rather than driving to Dallas for the Cotton Bowl.

riverdrifter 7 years ago

Now, Chap, that is a good one. I hope Mizzou fans at the Cotton Bowel get the same result I had today deer hunting: a long, long cold sit with no good result.

snowWI 7 years ago

Ice fishing in the Midwest!!!! (Minnesota) If I can I will do skiing locally (if there is enough snow) or snowboard out west (occasionally).

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years ago

I am with cheer, inside warmness no frost bite.

coolmom 7 years ago

leaping from the warm car and frantically spinning and slidding while racing for the front door and watching my hand freeze as my key gets stuck in the lock, really my absouloute fav...