Previous   Next

Where do you do most of your holiday shopping?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on December 6, 2007

Browse the archives

“I think most of it has been online at Amazon and through the Military Post Exchange because my husband is in the military. The rest has been done on the Plaza in Kansas City.”

“Mostly at department stores where I can get everything in one spot.”

“I try to do most of it downtown or make it myself. Some stuff I just pick up wherever I can find it.”

“Probably here in town. I work in Kansas City, and it’s just so much easier to come home and do it instead of going back or doing it after work.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

Pleather "R" Us is another favorite.

trinity 7 years ago

hey what kind of weather are y'all getting? it's starting to look a little dark&foreboding here-about 40 miles southeast of lawrence!

Kevin Sontag 7 years ago

Ohh, the weather outside is frightful, but to a dog, delightful! We let him outside, oh no! Yellow snow, yellow snow, yellow snow!

trinity 7 years ago

hah cute, tagger, lol! :)

i say it's a great day to be inside with a hot toddy&-&-&well, fill in that blank however you choose! :)

schula 7 years ago

I am on West Campus and it is snowing

Ceallach 7 years ago

Mostly at the Customer Service counter because I always give my older grandchildren gift cards to their favorite stores (one of the cards is always for a bookstore). The younger ones get toys and a bookstore card. They all get their goodies at the "after" prices and later they call or come by and let me know what I got them. Works great for us.

The snowflakes are big and beautiful as viewed from Strong Hall.

badger 7 years ago

Snowing?

How can it be snowing? It's supposed to be 70 today!

Oh, wait, that's one of the reasons I moved...that and migas. MMmmmmmigas.

I'll think of you all driving in the snow as I tool around the Hill Country with my sun roof open this afternoon. Also, this weekend, when it's supposed to be 80.

I do a lot of my holiday shopping at the Sunset Valley Farmers' Market (woo sustainable gift baskets and drought-tolerant plants! Someone's getting a pomegranate tree!), and also at Waterloo Records, Book People, and other fine local establishments.

When I lived in Lawrence, I made it a point each year to buy the bulk of my presents from independent businesses downtown. For my brother and his wife, a beautiful tea set from the Phoenix Gallery. For my nephews, gently used toys (I could buy more that way and my sister didn't mind) from the shop on the corner whose name I can't remember. For my mom, kitchen gadgets from the Bay Leaf. For a female friend, a scarf from Prairie Pond. And soap from Soap Momma as 'gift toppers'. My annual jaunt down Mass was a great deal of fun; I'd save up my Christmas dollars and make my list, wait for the first 'brisk but not freezing' Saturday in December, spend three or four hours on Mass and surrounding streets, then drop off my bags at the car and hit Henry's for a foamy coffee drink. Austin's lack of a walkable central shopping district makes it less fun to do that in; I will, however, be spending the bulk of my Christmas dollars this week at the farmers' market, getting spices and bbq brining mixes to give along with Texas wines and jellies, some flavored olive oils and brandies my SO and I made, and locally-made hand-dipped booze-filled candy.

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

What's Katie expecting north of the river?

badger 7 years ago

Yes, indeedy, I'm givin' out the tree of knowledge. Probably to a houseful of my hippie friends.

I have one in the front yard. I've been watching the poms mature all fall, and they're just about ready to eat.

Yum!

I'm also putting in a fig tree, a loquat tree, and a plum tree. We've got a pecan tree, plenty of chili piquins (sp?), and saffron crocuses.

It's tasty at Chez Badger.

Ceallach 7 years ago

What? Katie's expecting again!!!

mom_of_three 7 years ago

wow, badger, Austin's farmer's market sounds great....(as does the weather)

Ceallach 7 years ago

badger, you are an outrageous tease!!

alm77 7 years ago

badger, I'm not sure all the stores you mentioned are even still around? Thanks for the ideas though.

We're planning on shopping at The Toy Store, Waxman and probably The Game Nut. Oh, and I need to pick up a book at Signs of Life. We mayhave to go to a big box store to purchase a gift for my nephew, but that's it.

badger 7 years ago

alm77:

I'm sad to hear that some of those might not still be around. I really loved a lot of the handmade merchandise, especially at Prairie Pond. Beautiful stuff for gifts. Also, how could I forget Waxman? It's a favorite stop when I'm back in town!

Ceallach:

Me? Tease? Just because I suggest to you all that tonight, when you're spreading de-icer on your driveways, I'll likely be sipping a margarita or glass of wine on my patio and watching the sun set?

Austin's FM is pretty great, not least because it's year-round. I do miss my regular Lawrence peeps, especially Bradford cheese, the ladies whose booth name I forget (Moon on the Meadow, maybe?) who carry all the cool greens and taters, Gladys the mini-pie lady, Floyd and his apples, Anthony's Honey, and the Cardinal jelly folks. I was in Lawrence this spring, and got to visit and replenish my Secret Kansas Jelly Hoard, which I parcel out over a year after each May trip. The size of the market amazed me! It's so good to see it expanding like that! There were a few familiar faces missing, though.

Ceallach 7 years ago

I've learned better than to complain about the weather here. My family already think I'm crazy for being here instead of the Rio Grande Valley :) Mother just says, "There's more than enough room on the deck for you, too."

Alas, my babies and grandbabies are here. I can manage the snow much better than I could manage extended periods of time without them. (Someone has to keep them on their toes:):)

Crossfire 7 years ago

NbN too. Always support local business.

jonas 7 years ago

"schula (Anonymous) says:

I am on West Campus and it is snowing."

Just so you know, it's also snowing on East Campus. ;D

jonas 7 years ago

"Ceallach (Anonymous) says:

Think you have it bad? My parents live in San Diego. They get to harass me during the winter AND the summer.

Ceallach 7 years ago

eeewwww! San Diego does trump the valley.

Kat Christian 7 years ago

Wal-mart & Dollar Tree I'd love to shop at Sears and Penny's if I could afford it. I use to.

perkins 7 years ago

The sometimes-lame question of the day often brings forth amusing comments from the irreverent and clever. I needed that chuckle today; thanks all.

In Lawrence I can't resist the candy at the store on Mass and often I will make a last-minute purchase at Weavers because they wrap so well and I am so tired of the shopping aspect of the holiday that I will spend the outrageous price they want for a pair of gloves or whatever.

In Olathe I like the 119th and Strangline center - primarily Target and Best Buy - and in Topeka I satisfy my nostalgia needs by patronizing the little commercial districts where I shopped during the lean law school years: Gage Center and Fairlawn Plaza.

beatrice 7 years ago

I guess that would depend on the holiday.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

Usually stay in town, and i make a couple of things, too.

GretchenJP 7 years ago

There are some cold white things falling from the sky and sticking to my car!! running around in circles and screaming

Where do I do most of my holiday shopping? eBay, baby.

coolmom 7 years ago

borders, wal-mart, home depot, make some things like cookies and candy and fudge to put into my wal mart bought tins for teachers, neighbors etc.

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Coolmom, can I be your neighbor??

coolmom 7 years ago

lol, sure. the more the merrier.

idarastar 7 years ago

I don't do christmas shopping. My gift cannot be bought in stores. The gift of myself; the gift given to me by the creator. I am not interested in possessions, especially meaningless materials. I will buy what is necessary throughout the year.

Richard Heckler 7 years ago

Antique/used goods stores,ideas from Mindware Catalog for some,local nurseries,gift cards from the Merc and Raven bookstore( an 18 year tradition which our children love) and Cottins. Buy tools for the older children some years cuz it makes repairing problems at their home far more enjoyable.

As for my spouse I've yet to decide....but maybe a christmas cactus