Previous   Next

Are you prepared for icy driving conditions?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 1, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’ve got some stuff left over from last year, but I need to buy scrapers for some of the cars and probably some salt.”

“No. But I work at an elementary school, so whenever there’s ice on the road I’ll be staying home.”

“I did buy some salt last night to clear the driveway. I’ve got a shovel and everything, but unfortunately I don’t have a license right now.”

“I think so. I’m from Chicago, so I think I’m ready for it.”

Comments

compmd 6 years, 4 months ago

RI said: "When it ices it turns in to a great luge run.

I'm dying to try it out with the aluminum canoe."

Awesome! I have a carbon fiber and high density foam sled I made that would be pretty scary to ride down that I bet. :)

BrianR 6 years, 4 months ago

I can walk to the office prn.

I am also prepared to stay home, I think?

Hot chocolate, check,

Bailey's Irish Cream, check.

Yes, I am ready to stay home too.

GretchenJP 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm ready as I'll ever be considering I only have to drive 5 minutes to work. Don't hate! My husband, however, has to drive 45 minutes so of course I'll worry about him.

Pywacket 6 years, 4 months ago

Sigh... just kidding.... And dismayed that that would have to be spelled out for you!

matahari 6 years, 4 months ago

Pywacket (Anonymous) says:

I am so ready to head for the nearest ice-glazed cornfield to do donuts!

Are you serious? you just pick out someomes' corn field and drive through it? That takes nerve and a good attorney!

Pywacket 6 years, 4 months ago

I am so ready to head for the nearest ice-glazed cornfield to do donuts!

If you can't handle ice and snow, please stay home when we really do get some winter weather. The worst part of (what passes for) winter in this region are the lugnuts who don't know how to drive in it. Generally, these types have 3 responses: (1) ignore it because (pick as many as apply) they're too cool to slow down to a safe speed, they fail to factor in extra driving time and take stupid chances to make up that time, or they're driving an SUV and think they're invincible, (2) drive at about 20 mph below what is actually safe, and/or (3) slam on the brakes whenever they find themselves on the slightest hill or whenever they slide a little, sending themselves into a spin and turning their car into an out-of-control projectile.

If you're a normal, decent driver and you get really lucky (yes, read this with sarcasm), you'll find yourself stuck behind driver (2) with driver (1) riding your a$$. Just pray that driver (3) doesn't come spinning at you from the opposite direction.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

What year was the big ice storm that put parts of KC out of power for a couple of weeks? Early 2003?

justfornow 6 years, 4 months ago

Not when it's 61 degrees outside.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm a bit disappointed there was no ice. :( My 1400 foot driveway drops about 250 foot, with a few steep parts, a few flatish areas, and a few slight turns. When it ices it turns in to a great luge run.

I'm dying to try it out with the aluminum canoe. :)

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

Maybe they didn't want to drive in the ice.

--LOL

"act like a ninny..." is that on the current driving test?

well, we survived this dreaded onslot of death!

snowWI 6 years, 4 months ago

Lawrence is located so far south. The Upper Midwest gets much more snowfall that actually stays on the ground. With climate change occuring Kansas has a climate similar to the upper portions of the south these days.

compmd 6 years, 4 months ago

As a Chicagoan, I laugh at this pitiful attempt at wintry weather that Mother Nature has dropped on Lawrence. Seriously, its not that bad. I eagerly await some serious snowfall.

But yes, slow down people. And for drivers of newer cars, your "Winter Mode" button is not a substitute for intelligence.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

Not sure how the current auto will handle the ice. I try not to be out when it's icy, but when I am, I go slower, brake sooner, and generally try not to act like a ninny.

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

We, here in the frozen north, had the most beautiful autumn but winter hit us with a bang while I was in Calif. last week. WOW, I could not believe the cold and icy streets. Not much snow yet but cold. We have much experience with icy streets here with out long winters, so are pretty well prepared for anything.

Kathy Getto 6 years, 4 months ago

Perpared, yes, prepared to stay home where it is cozy.

sigerson 6 years, 4 months ago

Scariest driving experience I ever had was careening down the east side of Mt. Oread on a sheet of ice. What's the downward angle? Thirty percent? Or does it just get larger with age and every time I tell the story? Against all odds, I didn't hit anything.

Now, I stay home.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 4 months ago

"I did buy some salt last night to clear the driveway. I've got a shovel and everything, but unfortunately I don't have a license right now.""

I'm not sure how all that fits together.

I woke up about 8 am and it was already 38 degrees. And muddy!

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

Bearded Gnome: "wondering when they asked this on mass st. why not go to other places to ask the ots question: lmh; bert nash; wal-mart; haskell; kansas union. or, ask at the jail."

Maybe they didn't want to drive in the ice.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 4 months ago

for those of you out of town, we got no ice, apparently none, at no time of the morning, as predicted.

thus, the only dread we have is mud. mud.

are you prepared for winter driving? a: yeah, as soon as I steal that copcar.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

After a bad accident on the highway a couple years ago (not so much bad for me, but for a responding firefighter), I am as cautious as I can be when road conditions are uncertain or dangerous.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

Also remember that no matter how much your vehicle cost, it is still subject to the laws of physics.

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 4 months ago

Nor does it help steering, Prospector.

prospector 6 years, 4 months ago

If I can remember where the four wheel drive button is, I'm good to go.

A friendly reminder. four wheeling will helps you accelerate, but it is no help when you need to slow down. Y'all be careful out there.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm always prepared for icy driving conditions. Go slower, ease up on the accelerator, keep a large amount of space between you and the other drivers. No esta muy deficil.

macon47 6 years, 4 months ago

stay home , save gas, keep warm and avoid the nutcakes loose on the streets

southerngirl 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes, but my fellow Mid Southerners never are...everything closes down when the first flake of snow falls, but then they race home on the icy streets. Crazy, Crazy, crazy... d