Previous   Next

Are most of the fruits and vegetables you eat fresh, frozen or canned?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 29, 2007

Browse the archives

“Fresh. It’s more convenient and seems like it’s healthier for you.”

“Fresh and fresh only, because I’m fresh and I only eat fresh things.”

“Fresh. It’s just a preference thing. It makes me feel healthier.”

“Definitely fresh. My freezer isn’t big enough to keep anything in, and the canned stuff is pretty gross.”

Related story

Ragingbear 8 years, 3 months ago

It all depends on whether I buy them dinner first or not.

Crossfire 8 years, 3 months ago

I like to take fresh vegetables smash them and salt them down, Push them into a can with a wooden stick and freeze them. Love them yummy broccoli-cicles. Is it Friday yet?

Crossfire 8 years, 3 months ago

At 3am when the OTS interviews ate held, "The future is so bright that we gotta wear shades." That is why it looks so bright. Mass. Street Magic.

trinity 8 years, 3 months ago

i'm with you das-all of the above, for me. and i pretty much like 'em all equally. i'm not a vegetable discriminator. ;-) and there are many ways to fix canned veggies that spruce 'em up and make 'em far tastier than just straight outta the can!

of course i'd much rather be munchin' on candy bars, cookies, cake, pie....or a yummy Klondike Bar!

jonas 8 years, 3 months ago

I don't eat either. I take my nourishment directly from the sun. Although I do profess to like a tasty apple with peanut butter, but that's just to spoil myself.

Nice to be on the same timezone with you all, even if I still feel, at least, like it's about time to go out and get a cheap Tsingtao.

mom_of_three 8 years, 3 months ago

We eat fresh when we can, but eat frozen or canned when it's not. I can spruce up a can of corn pretty well. But there are some things my kids just won't eat...

H_Lecter 8 years, 3 months ago

I prefer fresh for edibles. I have a rule of thumb based on my cutting utensil selection; if I am using a single blade, then fresh is the best option, but if I'm using a moving blade or chain, then I opt for frozen.

schula 8 years, 3 months ago

Oh, to answer the question, I like fresh and frozen.

average 8 years, 3 months ago

I have no problem with most canned goods. I think that canning was one of mankind's most stellar inventions. Marion, I'll agree there is a fair bit of salt in some canned veggies (not something I worry about much). But the only canned fruit or vegetable around here with dyes or preservatives (other than salt) are a little jar of maraschino cherries.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 3 months ago

Fresh mostly, but we do frozen too. They can be pricey, but Schwans has the best frozen vegetables, especially their corn. There is no other corn like it.

Ceallach 8 years, 3 months ago

Mostly fresh or frozen.

Mike seems to know that today is "Sarcastic Wednesday"!!!!!!

ontheotherhand 8 years, 3 months ago

Das, your post is hilarious!

Fresh is best, but frozen when I have to. Canned is icky.

matahari 8 years, 3 months ago

a friend has a tee shirt that says,

I've eaten my vegetables and fruits, now... do I put them back in their wheelchairs?

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

All of the above. "Most" may depend on the season.

Welcome back, Jonas.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Yes, welcome home Jonas!

I love the people who say they only eat fresh. Where are they getting fresh vegetables in KS year round? Cracks me up. No way can you call that shipped in stuff fresh! Maybe they just get scurvy?

I eat frozen or fresh mostly and in that order. We just don't have a long enough growing season for fresh. Also, there are some things that require canned, green bean casserole. Tastes yucky with fresh or frozen but way yummy with the canned stuff. Also, canned pumpkin is way superior for pies. Also, need a couple cans of creamed corn for corn pudding. Is it lunchtime yet? Suddenly, I'm hungry.

RI, roflmao!

mom_of_three 8 years, 3 months ago

RT - have a similiar way of cooking corn on the cob, but the hubby is into roasting on the grill, which has turned out well.

Grandparents used to grow corn in their garden, remove it from the cob and freeze it in serving size bowls. Then pop it in the microwave with some butter and a pinch of sugar, and it was the best....... I add butter and a pinch of sugar to my canned corn.....not quite the same as Grandma's home grown, but it helps.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 3 months ago

Fresh, then frozen.

TOB, I was through Greensburg last week. Still a lot to do there. I did manage to find the Big Well hole after driving around a couple of blocks.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 3 months ago

We'll be in Ashland and Shattuck. Got a new granddaughter! First one! I like this!

C1, do you want to brag?

planetwax 8 years, 3 months ago

I eat fresh-as-I-can-get-it fruits, vegetables, and leafy greens all of the time. And, I try to buy everything organic or better. Since choosing the raw vegan lifestyle, I've stopped wearing my glasses, dropped lots of weight, my skin looks better, my chronic feet pain has subsided completely, my energy has increased, and a list of other improvements in health. For those of you who would like to learn more about living this way, go to:

In health, Janet

sgtwolverine 8 years, 3 months ago

"Organic or better"? Someone help me out here.

Anyway, is it just me, or does that comment look and sound like spam?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

The hubby wants to know where to get the big bug eyed glasses. Said he needs them for welding. :)