Previous   Next

Do you think the city should extend parking meter hours?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 27, 2007

Browse the archives

“I don’t think so. You shouldn’t have to put money in the meters if you come downtown during the evening.”

“I think they should. I think it would be good for the city in the long run.”

“Back in Chicago you have to pay until 8 p.m. So I think it would be understandable, but I would prefer they didn’t.”

“I’m going to say no. If they need the money, and it has to come from somewhere, then I might pick that instead of other alternatives.”

Related story

Comments

Adrienne Sanders 7 years, 4 months ago

You have got to be kidding, having to spend 50 cents on a meter would really stop people from going downtown?!?!?!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

geppetto 7 years, 4 months ago

They will also have to extend the hours of those 2 nice ladies. They keep the smart KU students in check when it comes to paying the meter. I bet they also need another hybrid car. Down Town Lawrence is so large that walking is but all mean too much of an effort. Oh Well, I love how this city is run.

mick 7 years, 4 months ago

The cost for a meter maid during those times would surpass what they took in.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

dulcinea, it's the trek back to the car during my meal just to plunk in another quarter that would chap my arse. (And yes, I've been known to spend that much time downtown in the evening.) It would just be a hassle that would take away from the evening atmosphere. The crowds are thinner in the evenings and parking is usually not a problem. I just don't see the need for extending the hours.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

No. Definitely not. Ann Arbor shuts off its meters at 6:00pm.

annamaria 7 years, 4 months ago

I would support increasing the meter during present hours. Anna M. Cienciala

jayhaitch 7 years, 4 months ago

How about if they use the money to remove roundabouts?

Confrontation 7 years, 4 months ago

I vote that we extend parking meter hours, but only if the money can go towards better education that is needed by people like this:

schula 7 years, 4 months ago

I, too, am speechless after seeing that video. She gives the rest of us blondes a bad name!

purplesage 7 years, 4 months ago

I was going to say, "Just take them out." Of course, there would be the unemployment issue with the ticket writers. And then, I read annamaria's suggestion. They need to stay until the roundabouts are gone.

BTW, what happened to the roundabout on W. Clinton Parkway? Looks like somebody didn't roundabout.

Confrontation 7 years, 4 months ago

I know she's not in the pageant because of her brains, but this is really sad.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

1)I feel very bad for the state of South Carolina. That was incredible.

2)blue, thanks for the link. I'm not really surprised Richard Bernstein is involved in that lawsuit; he's been getting more involved in disability lawsuits in Michigan. That makes sense, since (IIRC) he's legally blind.

However, I have trouble coming up with positive feelings for him; his father has been one of the more prominent ambulance chasers in southeastern Michigan. I don't know if he still advertises as much as he used to, but a lot of people around here are all too familiar with the 1-800-CALL-SAM commercials (your typical "Have you been hurt? We'll get money out of someone!" lawyer commercials). And Richard work in Sam's law firm (along with Sam's other kids).

Oh, and Oakland is one of the wealthiest counties in Michigan.

ralphralph 7 years, 4 months ago

Don't you good folks recognize that Miss Teen S.C. is a "performance artist" and that the clip shows the Talent Competition? She was acting out the answer to the question.
Any other possibility is just too discomforting.

Topside 7 years, 4 months ago

Prob. already been mentioned, but....

Why not just raise the rates? Those have to be the cheapest p-meters in the country. What do you get like 1:30-2 hrs for a quarter!?!? That is crazy cheap.

Emily Hadley 7 years, 4 months ago

"No way. It would inhibit me from dining on Mass Street in the evenings. I like the evening "slow mode" on Mass and parking meters would ruin that. No. No. No!"

Eileen Jones 7 years, 4 months ago

If they extend parking meter hours they will hurt evening business downtown. With most of the shops closing at 6 p.m. every day except Thursday, evening business doesn't need the additional blow. It would discourage people from visiting the restaurants and fast-food places, too.

Bill Chapman 7 years, 4 months ago

This would not hurt the restaurants - most people can eat in the time a quarter will give them. If someone can't spend the quarter for a parking spot, then they should not be eating out - they should be saving their $$$.

The only business group downtown this could hurt is the "bar" group. Their customers might actually have to stay sober enough to remember how to use the parking meter.

coneflower 7 years, 4 months ago

If I didn't know better, I'd say this city commission is TRYING to kill downtown.

H_Lecter 7 years, 4 months ago

Where's Cool Hand Luke when we need him?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

"But wouldn't it be nice if you could park right in front of the restaurant for 25 cents instead of having to walk a block or two past all the cooks' and waiters' cars? I like the walk after I eat dinner, but I feel bad when I ask my parents to meet me for dinner and know there aren't handicapped spaces very close to our regular restaurants. If the parking was metered then long-term parkers wouldn't be in the prime spaces all night and the folks who need a shorter walking distance would have a chance at it." -Emily Hadley

In my personal experience, I've never had to park more than a block or two away from a restaurant in the evening. Also, any restaurant that wanted to keep their business would not allow their employees to park in front of the business. (That is just common practice.)

Where meters hurt is, for instance: Just ate at "Restaurant Yummy." Want to go for a stroll and maybe pop into a couple of shops and the "Zen Garden" to burn off 50 calories before you pop into "Ice Cream-O-Licious" but, nope! Gotta go back to that car because you think the meter might be running out. Get back to the car and decide that since you are already at the car, you might as well pile in and drive to the grocery store for some icecream because it's cheaper there and you need milk anyway. Meter doesn't get fed any more $ and Ice Cream-O-Licious just lost out on about $18 for a family of four.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 4 months ago

Confrontation (Anonymous) says:

I know she's not in the pageant because of her brains, but this is really sad.

Confrontation, seems like a lot of judgement similar to what seemed to tick you off during the Greek Membership argument. Be the bigger person.

I was the Sedgewick County Junior Miss in 1997 and there actually are, believe it or not, pageants like Junior Miss that actually make you send in your grades and transcripts and the prizes are college scholarships, so it's not necessarily fair to lump any person in a pageant as dumb.

Now, realistically, this was pretty sad. However, it had nothing to do with the pageant per se and everything to do with ignorance and stupidity of one person.