Previous   Next

Have you ever been called for jury duty?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 25, 2007

Browse the archives

“No. I think it would be kind of cool to serve, because I’ve never been in a courtroom during a trial.”

“At least twice, but I didn’t ever serve.”

“Never, but I’d definitely like to serve if I was.”

“I have twice. It was a long time ago, and I ended up serving on both cases.”

Related story

Comments

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

I was called once, but like many others, I didn't actually get on a jury. And I spent only half a day there.

southerngirl 7 years, 3 months ago

WOW! 1st today! I have my four legged personal trainer to thank for this honor! As for jury duty, I was called once and did not serve... d

CindiCat 7 years, 3 months ago

Three times....twice I didn't have to "show up" because the case was dismissed. The one time I HAD to show up, I didn't get picked.

Got a check for a whopping $13.00 for my time.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 3 months ago

I was called to duty in the early 80's when I worked in a factory. Since we started work early, I would go in and work a few hours, then go straight to the courthouse. I was never chosen, probably because I was wearing ratty jeans and Harley t-shirt. I bet if I was called now, since I've become a teacher, I would be selected to serve; although I would still try and be as fair and objective as I would have back in my factory days.

trinity 7 years, 3 months ago

yep, several times; a couple of times at the district court level-and once they learned my degree/job, they promptly dismissed me! hah. then, somehow was called for federal jury duty in kck; had to show up twice for that, and was passed over both times. ok by me.

jurors are soooo interesting, once behind the closed doors!

H_Lecter 7 years, 3 months ago

Served once - 3 day trial. Last time I was disqualified because I knew five of the jurors already picked. I thing everybody deserves a fair trial before we find them guilty.

coolmom 7 years, 3 months ago

i was called and then when asked if i knew anyone involved in the case i said yes the judge, both police officers and the prosecuter lol. he asked how i knew them and i said that i occasionally had coffee with them lol. for some reason i wasnt picked.

staff04 7 years, 3 months ago

Been called twice, and was dismissed both times after I explained that I was once a plaintiff in a civil case in which the judge overruled the jury's awarded verdict...I just explain to them that given my experience, I wouldn't be able to focus on the job of being a juror with the knowledge that my time is essentially wasted there and the judge is going to do whatever he feels is appropriate anyway.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

Twice. Never served as both cases were dropped. I was curious, however, how my hubby (living all of his life here) had never been called. Then, he told me his secret. I'm going to see if it works for me in the future. Muhahahaha!

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Two years ago I had to show up once, but was too far back in line to be picked, even though I eventually made it inside the bar. I've already received something from the sheriff's department that I will be "on call" next year as well.

I did serve on a grand jury in a different county about 7-8 years ago. That was a fascinating experience.

oldvet 7 years, 3 months ago

Called twice, two criminal trials, twice jury foreman, two guilty verdicts... I am amazed that neither of these morons accepted a lesser plea, as the cases were just too easy for us to debate very long... one guy got the max 30 years and the other time it was 15-20... in both cases, the prosecutor came to thank us after the trial and in both cases I asked if the guy had turned down a lesser plea... positive response on both cases... It was almost fun to watch those guys as I read our verdict...