Previous   Next

What are you reading?

Browse the archives

“I’m reading ‘An Actor Prepares,’ by Constantin Stanislavski. It’s kind of an actor’s textbook based on his teachings.”

Pride and Prejudice,’ by Jane Austen. I like it pretty well. It’s kind of hard to understand, but I think it will become easier as I get deeper into the book.”

The Blooming of a Lotus,’ by Thich Nhat Hanh. It’s a system of breathing exercises to calm yourself and to support and take care of uncomfortable emotions.”

The Harlequin,’ by Laurell K. Hamilton. It’s an Anita Blake vampire novel. She’s a detective who solves crimes while dealing with a complicated personal life.”

“I just finished ‘Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe,’ by Fannie Flagg. I wanted to read something fun before school started. It was actually pretty close to the film.”

Comments

thebigspoon 6 years, 7 months ago

So, acg, what is wrong with a majority of the people around here?

Andini 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm reading this article and all of the comments.

consumer1 6 years, 7 months ago

The E-Myth manager by Michael Gerber.

akbigdog 6 years, 7 months ago

"Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kyosaki. Excellent book about personal finance. I highly recommend it.

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm reading a little murder mystery called Predator by Patricia Cornell and I'm reading the Chronicles of Narnia with my son (we each read a few chapters and then discuss it). I'm also reading What's the Matter With Kansas: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America by Thomas Frank. That's a fascinating book and really helps to explain what's wrong with the majority of folks around here.

Windlass 6 years, 8 months ago

The Annotated Brother's Grimm, and I'll finish it whenifever I get home.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

glad to hear it Sigmund. the story is told vividly and with good history.

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

BG, ok I am convinced, I'm going to try and pick up a used copy of Scarlet Woman of Wall Street. Sounds good..

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

should read "particularly." darn keyboards, they're always messin' up.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

now "the scarlet woman of wall street" by gordon, tells in a very effective narrative the story of the19th century rise of big money on wall street and especially with the coming of railroads. as you would guess if you know your history, this story of big money/gold/stocks/bonds/politics includes Vanderbilt, gould, fiske as well as mayors and state governors and legislators. it is well written and really holds my interest. in another medium, I am reading "the old man and the sea" as the last time I read it I think I hadn't yet graduated from high school. it involves themes I particulary enjoy.