Previous   Next

Are you a trivia buff?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 17, 2007

Browse the archives

“I like to think so. I always win at Trivial Pursuit and always do well at ‘Jeopardy.’ I remember useless information very well.”

“No, I would say not really. I’d probably rate myself as average on trivia.”

“Yes, I am. I’m amazing, I mean really good, at trivia. I’ve been practicing since I was a wee one.”

“It depends on the subject. I like movie and music trivia a lot.”

Related story

Comments

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

I find trivia fascinating, does that make me a buff? I'm not sure. I do see a pattern developing in the posts. Quick, someone find the stats on percentage of comment board posters that are trivia buffs.

Scott looks like Steve Doocy (sp?).

coolmom 7 years, 7 months ago

um no, i have trouble with that sort of info except for flashes of genius.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm terrible, unless it's some information about something I really care about. I've dedicated most of my brain to the pursuit of mindreading... I HEARD THAT!~#

H_Lecter 7 years, 7 months ago

Sometimes, I tend to remember names... and where they're buried

mom_of_three 7 years, 7 months ago

Yes. My family hates playing trivial pursuit or jeopardy with me since I has in junior high school.
Mostly useless trivia. My brain also holds good stuff, as I am doing good in my college classes.

Topside 7 years, 7 months ago

YES I AM I am full of useless info...can't remember anything important (dentist appt.) but I can remember who played uncle Jessie on Dukes of Hazzard (denver pyle).

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

We need a slogan for OTS, something like "OTS Peanut Gallery - Trivial but never trite."

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

I seem to remember quite a bit of useless information. Like: Q: Who sings "Come and Get Your Love?" A: Redbone Who ever needs to know that?

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

lol, ss-maybe you shoulda presented that as the ots trivial brain tease of the day?!

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

Like many others above, my head is filled with bits of info, some useless other bits do come in handy at times. My head is especially filled with historical data and geographical nonsense. Who cares is Alexander the Great died in 332BC. Or Muhammed in 632AD.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm not buff, but I am somewhat trivial.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

RI knows whereof he speaks, as he is a trivial person.

mom_of_three 7 years, 7 months ago

One of the trivial things I remember, from reading a book in the 4th grade, is the name of General Robert E. Lee's horse.

Don't know why that information just sticks with me.

dminear60 7 years, 7 months ago

mom_of_three: what was the name of Robert E.Lee's horse?

Baille 7 years, 7 months ago

" Who cares if Alexander the Great died in 332BC?"

Alexander's mom.

"Or Muhammed in 632AD?"

Every freakin' Muslim from here to Bandung.

mom_of_three 7 years, 7 months ago

His name was Traveler.

This was the horse that was used for his funeral procession. (carried his saddle and boots).
Evidently, it was his favorite, because they used him.

See, useless information, but was published in a fourth grade biography.

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

My team, the Decepticons, placed fourth, then first (free bottle of jack danies!!!) then fourth again on the trivia night here in Beijing. I'm only trivially helpful for some rounds, like TV, geography, etc, but I play a good role in others, and I'm one of the reasons we won in the music round. Music rounds kick ze bootie.

wacka wacka wacka

I may be drunk.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

My sis tells me that Sir Francis Drake died of a ruptured testicle from playing tennis. She said she learned this in a "History before 1835" class. Apparently, the nets were lower and the balls were harder...the tennis balls, that is. (The only thing she remembers from that class.)

I remember that Tycho Brahe wore a metal nose and that he died of a ruptured bladder because he was too embarrassed to excuse himself during a dinner. However, in '96, they opened his tomb and concluded that he most likely died of mercury poisoning. Very useful information.

H_Lecter 7 years, 7 months ago

Some things that taste like chicken, aren't really chicken

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Hee hee...it looks like my sis either doesn't remember correctly, or the teacher was trying to see who was paying attention. Maybe it was someone else. Anybody know any famous person pre-1835 who died of a ruptured testicle? Now that's trivia! Klondike bar to the winner.

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

sue: Errrr. . . . Dick Cheney?

The man IS really old!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

jonas, I'm putting that Klondike bar in the mail to Beijing right now! :)

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

pywacket - I know all about Will Shortz. I do his crossword puzzles in my paper all the time. My Edmonton Journal prints the New York Times puzzle by Shortz. i also do the one from the Toronot Globe and Mail which I get every Saturday. Sometimes it takes me all week to do it and other times I can get it done in 2 days. I am addicted to those dang things. Do you do the crosswords, py?