Previous   Next

How can parents become more involved in their children’s education?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 13, 2007

Browse the archives

“Through the PTA and PTO, or by talking with their children’s teachers.”

“Know their teachers and know what they’re being taught. They can also participate in in-school and out-of-school activities and be there when their children get home.”

“By staying informed and knowing their kid’s teachers, giving them an environment at home where they are encouraged to learn and read, and by being interested and involved.”

“Do like we do and home school.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

How about. . . . talking to their kids about it. And talking to their children's teachers about their kids.

Wonder what Chuck Evanhoe's qualifications are.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

dang! Blue took my answer. That being said, how about driving them back and forth to school?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

p.s. It says "asked at Massachusetts street" but it looks mysteriously like Borders Bookstore to me. Are they trying to trick us, or has Borders moved in the last week?

geppetto 7 years, 4 months ago

I think being interested and interesting with your kids.

mom_of_three 7 years, 4 months ago

I would love to be home when my kids got home, but then I might not be able to afford the things they need for school - clothes, books, fees, lunch.

And conferences for junior high and high school are just a wait and see game. So many parents, which is a good thing, but you might not get to see whom you want. Haven't attended one since grade school. Email is a good tool in this day and age.

Ceallach 7 years, 4 months ago

good call, suzie Q, that does look like Borders.

All children should be home schooled, whether or not they attend public schools. Discuss their current studies with them, what do they like, what do they not "get" about it. Watch interesting things on TV, let them ask questions. Last night my 10 yo granddaughter and I watched a fascinating program on the Travel channel about the construction of the Dubai palm islands. Some of the problems they met and eventually solved were things that she questioned at the start of the program when the project was explained. We had a great time and she learned a lot about tides, erosion and reclamation of beaches.

kramdorf 7 years, 4 months ago

Good luck getting any cooperation from teachers via email. If it is staying on top of grades and asignments you are looking for, fat chance. There have been the exceptions, but for the most part the teachers have always talked a good talk, but when it comes down to the walk, their talk proved cheap. If I had employees who treated their customers the way we have been treated by teachers and administrators within our school system, they would have been fired. No responses for weeks; no feedback on assignments; no ability to communicate grade status!!

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 4 months ago

I can't say I have had your experience, Kram. I have been very involved with the teachers and other staff at my son's school. They call me an "very engaged parent" (their words) so I guess that's what you should be.

packrat 7 years, 4 months ago

Walk your child to school because you are in the same grade.

Seriously, talk to your child and the teachers. Go over homework. Look at what is actually being taught.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 4 months ago

Avoid the whole reproducing jazz & go along your merry way.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 4 months ago

Just went to register the kiddies for school. Why does it not surprise me that school starts in 2 days and the computers are still not up and running???

ms_canada 7 years, 4 months ago

I pay the tuition at the Uni, does that count? Can't get more involved because when he (the grandson) tells me about his studies, it sounds like greek to me. Physics and biology and pharmacology, I just don't understand.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 4 months ago

R_I, this was in writting, so unless they made a glarring typo I'm "engaged." I will admit they did see me get bitchly once, though.

When you have a child with special needs you really do have to be engaged and advocate for your child. I have, though, been very pleased with

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 4 months ago

and I suppose I will finish my comment (DOH!!) I have been pleased with the services that have been provided to my son. But I believe they do get extra money when they are to provide those services so I think they are just as happy to give them.

H_Lecter 7 years, 4 months ago

Show them you really care. Get them a bullet-proof backpack.