Previous   Next

Does name-brand packaging affect your perception of taste?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 7, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. I think we’re all influenced by advertisements.”

“Yes. I guess you just equate the better brands with better taste and quality.”

“Yes, I think it does. If you’re used to the name brand and switch to something you’re not accustomed to, it’s like trying an entirely new food. I think it’s more a matter of consistency than anything.”

“Oh yeah. I think it’s easier to like things when they’re easy on the eyes.”

Related story

Comments

average 8 years ago

If it comes in an ALDI/Best Choice/Kroger version, I buy it in that version. Period.

jonas 8 years ago

Sorry to hear it, Trinity. But I don't begrudge you my general spot. After all, I'm really kind of cheating.

I care about brand names when I buy guitars and amplifiers. Outside of that, I generally don't find that they make much difference.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I'm going to go put on my Adidas(r) shoes and warm-up pants, eat my Powerbar(tm), drink my Gatoraid(r) and figure out whether to wear the Puma(r) or the Tommy Hilfiger(tm) shirt. I've got to look good while I do my homework.

Where are my Lucky Charms(tm)? I'm hungry!

trinity 8 years ago

ooooo, i dunno blue, i've become loyal to best choice mac&cheese! the famous name pales in comparison, literally. bc mac&chz is a bright, vibrant ORANGE color-making you KNOW that you're getting the very best in processed, dried cheese! ;)

trinity 8 years ago

oh-and jonas, those shades look like dolce/gabbanas to me; but whaddoiknow?? :)

trinity 8 years ago

depends on the product; some off-brand stuff just is not worth the trouble. or the savings. 1st! but due to achy back. :(

Topside 8 years ago

NO, but some things there are no substitute for. OREOS are a good example. Nothing really comes close to that toxic cookie mixture. However, sometimes I'm surprised by the generic, like a few years ago when I discovered Malt-o-meal creals (tootie fruities, honey buzzers, etc..) were better than their name brand counterparts at a fraction of the price. Now its kind of a wash price-wise.

Dixie Jones 8 years ago

I LIKE SAMS CHOICE ! ! ! ! ! and im headed to wally world to buy everything sams choice..hum does sames choice have underwear????hummmmm.....lol

Sigmund 8 years ago

"Oh yeah. I think it's easier to like things when they're easy on the eyes." I think Kim has it nailed.

acg 8 years ago

Probably. Some stuff just has to be name brand, but a lot of stuff we buy the Kroger brand because it's just as good.

Kat Christian 8 years ago

Not necessarily, I'm too old to be fooled by this deceiving Marketing tactic I know better. The younger generation is more apt to be influenced by this Marketing trend - which is sad. I usually read the ingredients or stick with the brands I've used for years. I think the packaging product use today is a huge waste. Talk NOT going GREEN. So when these companies start conserving and not making so much trash I'll be able to not make so much trash, because sometimes you can't help it with all the packaging and double packaging.

Fishman 8 years ago

Usually it doesn't matter. I'm biased as I worked in a place that canned foods. I watched the same quality get sent to different companies who would put their own labels on them. As long as it is store brand except for I think it's "Always Save" in the yellow box it's usually the same. A lot of the garbage got sent to institutional places for places like the Waffle House.

jonas 8 years ago

mom_of_three 8 years ago

I buy the store brand on some items, and there isn't a difference. Sometimes the kids notice, sometimes they don't. If they don't see what it comes in, then they generally don't care.

lubyloo 8 years ago

I've always liked generic Oreos are better than the real thing. The filling is better.

concernedparent 8 years ago

two things I never skim on, Cheese and tampons!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years ago

I wasn't aware that you were supposed to eat the food AND the packaging. Boy, is my face red.

Flap Doodle 8 years ago

Always look for the Farmer Vincent's label when buying processed meat. Remember: "It takes all kinds of critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters" ...

jonas 8 years ago

Hmmm. . . haven't been deleted in awhile, and it's not the first time I've "flirted" with the on-the-street respondees either. Strange.

Unless Kim saw and did it herself. If so, I meant no offense, but still suggest different glasses.

Flap Doodle 8 years ago

jonas, after looking at some other threads, it would appear that LJW is doing the delete thing a lot lately.

Dan Alexander 8 years ago

Im with Jonas the big sunglasses trend must die out!

Sigmund 8 years ago

You know ever since StarKist went dophin free, my tuna salad casserole just doesn't taste the same.

gccs14r 8 years ago

"Very often, generics roll off the same conveyor belt or assembly line as the name-brand item, then part company to get packaged differently..."

I once worked as a bacon grader. In that plant, all three grades were packaged on the same line, but there was a definite difference between top-shelf stuff, house brand, and generic (or was in '86). Diseased mammary glands weren't allowed in the good stuff. Meat wasn't allowed in the bad stuff. There was something worse than generic--government contract export "bacon" (probably for famine relief), which was green with mold, smelled to high heaven and had less meat on it than Mary-Kate Olsen. Our pet food bin had better stuff in it. BTW, stuff that wasn't fit for pet food (floor sweepings) went to cosmetics.