Previous   Next

Do you take pictures of the scenery or people while you’re on vacation?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 6, 2007

Browse the archives

“I like to take pictures of the scenery. I’m a nature person, so when I go on vacation it’s usually in the wilderness.”

“I guess both the scenery and the people I’m with.”

“More of the scenery, landmarks and stuff like that. Not so much the people.”

“I take more pictures of the scenery. I don’t like to take pictures of people just standing there smiling.”

Comments

average 7 years, 4 months ago

I just don't. Pictures exist of the 'scenery'. A few people pictures are enough if I'm going somewhere to socialize. My parents always sent a camera when I went to camps and on trips and were quite disappointed when I came home with three pictures. Now, I don't even take a camera.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

Definitely the scenery. I'll get one or two of people I'm with, but that's it, and I can't stand being in my own pictures. Something of a pet peeve. We don't need to see you standing there to prove that you were there. Your picture proves you were there.

Sorry for the mini-rant. But being where I am, during the peak tourism season of the rest of the world, as well as the other parts of China, this is something of a current irritant.

On a brighter note, I can now say that I know how to say "monkey brain" in Chinese, making my learning, as far as I'm concerned, more complete than before. I plan on finding someway to use it in every paper that I have left, one way or another.

Here, I'll teach you. It's said "hou nao." Closer to English spelling, it would be "hoe now." But remember, Chinese is a tonal language, so the first syllable is 2nd tone, that has a rising inflection like we do when we ask a question, and the second syllable is third tone, where you start mid-range, drop your voice and then quickly raise it again. The symbols / V are the closest I can get on this computer.

Have fun, use it on your friends. Frequently. Hou nao.

acg 7 years, 4 months ago

Um, Jonas, please tell me why it is you had occasion to have to say "monkey brain" while there? It's not why I'm thinking, is it? I'm having a Faces of Death flashback.

Oh, and scenery, mostly.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

acg: Use your imagination. The truth of our reading for today is way too mundane and simple.

Wo renwei mei you shengci xiang "hou nao" zheme hao wan shuo.

(I hold the opinion that there is no vocab as fun to say as "monkey brains.")

mom_of_three 7 years, 4 months ago

My last vacation was to South Dakota, so I took pictures of the scenery and my family. (I took the majority of the pictures). We are leaving in a few days for Memphis, and probably be more pictures of my family people than of other people. If you call Beale street scenery, then yes, there might be some pictures of scenery.

counting down....2 more days.....

trinity 7 years, 4 months ago

nahhhh i got bored with taking pictures years ago! :-p now, the mental images are sufficient. i like to drink in the scenery, people, and vibes-without dragging around a camera.

canyon_wren 7 years, 4 months ago

These questions have been so boring lately that it's not very tempting to post anything, but I will say that, as a rule, on vacations I take photos of scenery. We used to do the old National Geographic thing--putting someone in a photo (especially if they were wearing red!) for "scale" but I always hate to spoil a good view by putting a person in it. If the purpose of the trip is to visit with family, then I do take some people photos. I'm beginning more and more to believe that preoccupation with taking pictures takes a lot away from the trip's enjoyment.

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

canyon-wren: You mean, the question actually influences your posting? Hnuh.

What's that like?

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 4 months ago

The people, the scenery, and people in the scenery.

canyon_wren 7 years, 4 months ago

jonas--yes, I'm afraid I don't even read the posts sometimes when the questions seem so pointless, though I know some of you posters have a great time making fun of the questions or thinking up equally pointless responses just for entertainment. I suspect that the people who pose the questions are tired of the same old posts about religion or politics, but it DOES seem like the news items that they have to choose from each day might prompt more interesting questions than they come up with!

trinity 7 years, 4 months ago

R_I, your post made me chuckle out loud! :-p
nahhhhhhhh i wasn't trying to say that reluctance to put down my barley pop would keep me from taking pictures; merely that i just don't care to be burdened with a camera of any type when i'm out soaking in ambiance&atmosphere.

now if we're talking late in the day, when things are getting mellow-that may be a horse of a different color, indeed! ;-)

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

Pywacket: I'll translate it (my) tomorrow morning and let you know.

coolmom 7 years, 4 months ago

pictures of scenery,pictures of people and i give the kids disposable cameras and get some interesting pictures of eachothers nostrils, butts, boobs at the beach, toes, and yesterday at a music thing i got back a picture of apparently 7 people all wearing the same teeny bopper shoes that one of my girls "had" to have. it was nice to see that other parents are in the same boat lol.

ms_canada 7 years, 4 months ago

Mostly take pictures of scenery, buildings and such when visiting foreign lands. Had a most interesting and confusing incident happen once in Madrid. We were taking pictures of the huge statues of Cervantes, Don Quixote, Dulinea, and Rocinante, (Don Quixote's horse) in Plaza de Espana. There were two oriental fellows also taking the same snaps. They approached us and seemed to be asking my husband if they could take a snap of me posing with one of the fellows while the other snapped the shot. No problema, says my good man. I always have wondered what exactly the fellow told his friends back home when he showed off his vacation photos. Who was that blond senorita???

ms_canada 7 years, 4 months ago

Excuse please, that should be Dulcinea, not Dulinea. Actually there are two statues of Dulcinea; one as poor old Don Quixote saw in all her glory as though through rose colored glasses and one as she actually was, not that glorious.

gccs14r 7 years, 4 months ago

Scenery, preferably with no evidence of man visible. I may take 1,000 photos on a trip and end up with one worthy of framing, so I need to work on my skills. I could also use a better camera.

Crossfire 7 years, 4 months ago

I like to take pictures of my friends with me when I leave town. I photograph these pictures in front of scenery so it looks like they were there too. When we are old we can look back at the vacations we took together. It will be funny if they remember the trip. Even funnier if I do.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 4 months ago

I take pictures of bugs, vistas, fish, furry animals, food, pardner, funny signs, strange displays...anything that strikes my fancy.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 4 months ago

gcc, if you managed a frame-worthy rate (not just a keeper rate, but a frame-worthy rate) of even 10%, you'd be doing well. I don't think you're as far off as you think.

mom_of_three 7 years, 4 months ago

You can take some good pictures with disposable cameras. I bought a new camera this year, but usually buy the kids a disposable one to use, to make their own memories. The eldest took some great pictures when we went to Colorado. My best picture is of Pike's peak, and I took it with a disposable (but not cheap) camera.

gccs14r 7 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the encouragement, Sgt. It's difficult when using an auto-everything we-know-best camera. One of these days....